Indoor LED SCRoG grow - Blue Dream + Hindu Kush x Shiva Skunk

That filter is just like mine and it won't work as installed. And there's more than enough room inside the tent . And you need to pull the air through the filter, not push it through !! Good luck !!

Why is that? I have been wondering how to best use my filter is all...

Thanks for the comment Slowpuffer. Left alone with these parts and no one to tell me how it all goes together I improvised. The walls of the filter are constructed as a double wall of mesh with carbon pellets between them. I saw nothing that would indicate the walls have a preference for which way the air moves through them. The fan is running at less than half power, there is negative pressure in the room, no odors in the outer room so it seems that I am getting away with it. I will keep a close eye on this in case it begins to fail.

Status update: Growth seems to have completely stalled over the past couple of days. They got pretty stressed from under watering yesterday and there was some serious wilting. I flushed them and wetted the leaves yesterday and they seem to have bounced back. I imagine this event will set us back a few days.

I hit them with another round of AzaMax yesterday to control the aphids. I picked up one of those one gallon hand pump sprayers with the wand nozzle so I could get deep into the foliage and hit the undersides of the leaves. I anticipate another application in a couple of days to finish the job. On roses I have always seen the aphids going for the new growth. On these plants they are all on the undersides of the big fan leaves and not on the new growth at all - seems odd to me. Perhaps this tells us something about where the most nutrients are in the plant at this time.

I am still concerned about the brown pistils - it is more pronounced on the buds closer to the lights. The lights are about 8 - 9 inches from the canopy - according to the light mfg. this should be ok. Maybe the pistils are also reacting to the under watering.

The humidifier arrived this morning. After a few minutes of operation I had already collected a few tablespoons of water!

I really do not know much about watering cannabis. I am thinking about stepping up the watering schedule from once a week to every 3 - 4 days and feeding every third watering. Cannabis seems to be a thirsty plant!

sweet..waitin on a 126 and 63...very impatentiently i might add...any day now i guess. The UPS tracker doesn 't tell me squat except they got the electronic billing.

Thanks for letting me follow along and learn!

I experienced the same thing - it seems to take them a while to ship once they have your order. In my experience there was a pause and no activity on the tracking site (that seemed like forever); once they shipped them however they got here pretty quickly and the tracking was updated along the way. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the comment Slowpuffer. Left alone with these parts and no one to tell me how it all goes together I improvised. The walls of the filter are constructed as a double wall of mesh with carbon pellets between them. I saw nothing that would indicate the walls have a preference for which way the air moves through them. The fan is running at less than half power, there is negative pressure in the room, no odors in the outer room so it seems that I am getting away with it. I will keep a close eye on this in case it begins to fail.

Status update: Growth seems to have completely stalled over the past couple of days. They got pretty stressed from under watering yesterday and there was some serious wilting. I flushed them and wetted the leaves yesterday and they seem to have bounced back. I imagine this event will set us back a few days.

I hit them with another round of AzaMax yesterday to control the aphids. I picked up one of those one gallon hand pump sprayers with the wand nozzle so I could get deep into the foliage and hit the undersides of the leaves. I anticipate another application in a couple of days to finish the job. On roses I have always seen the aphids going for the new growth. On these plants they are all on the undersides of the big fan leaves and not on the new growth at all - seems odd to me. Perhaps this tells us something about where the most nutrients are in the plant at this time.

I am still concerned about the brown pistils - it is more pronounced on the buds closer to the lights. The lights are about 8 - 9 inches from the canopy - according to the light mfg. this should be ok. Maybe the pistils are also reacting to the under watering.

The humidifier arrived this morning. After a few minutes of operation I had already collected a few tablespoons of water!

I really do not know much about watering cannabis. I am thinking about stepping up the watering schedule from once a week to every 3 - 4 days and feeding every third watering. Cannabis seems to be a thirsty plant!

yea they need it about every 2-3 days and even more late in bloom

Wow - I was being so stingy with the water - I hope they will forgive me! Do you think the brown pistils I am seeing are due to it being too dry?

Hey Scooby_Snacks - sounds like a great setup, I like the way you think :smokin:

My ventilation system is not too complex. I put the ventilation outside the tent so the air is pushed into the filter rather than sucked out through it. I did this because I did not want to take up space inside the tent for the filter and I have a lot of room outside the tent and its easier to hang it there than inside the tent. I am pulling air and venting back into the room the tent is in. I have a sky light in the room I can open if it gets too hot or I see a need for more fresh air.

A 6" blower adapter is mounted near the top of my DIY tent (where the warmer air is). I placed an air inlet on the opposite wall at the base of the tent (to bring in cooler air). Attached to the blower adapter is a 6" in-line fan connected to a 6"x16" carbon filter via a few inches of flexible ventilation ducting. The whole thing is suspended from the ceiling outside the tent with rubber bungies for vibration dampening. The in-line fan is plugged into a router controller so I can dial in the amount of power used to drive the fan. At about half speed it sucks the panda film walls in a bit when the tent door is zipped closed.

That's just what I needed to see. I haven't needed to worry about smell yet but that's about to change. You saved me a bunch of time. Thanks!!

I experienced the same thing - it seems to take them a while to ship once they have your order. In my experience there was a pause and no activity on the tracking site (that seemed like forever); once they shipped them however they got here pretty quickly and the tracking was updated along the way. Keep us posted.

LOL. We should take a poll to see how often we all hit the refresh button. I learned me lesson and didn't even ask for a tracking for the 3rd light on the way for the new tent.

Sorry I can't help you with the brown pistils. I have the same issue in my first grow right now. I also have so leaf damage. I think it's the ph and I'm trying to bring it down. Have you checked your soil ph lately?

could be from handling they bruise like fruit ya know but its all good new ones will grow when brown it just cant recieve pollen anymore
everything is lookin great im surprised it took this long to get an led scrog on here but better late then never scrog=big fuckin yield:::nicethread:

could be from handling they bruise like fruit ya know but its all good new ones will grow when brown it just cant recieve pollen anymore
everything is lookin great im surprised it took this long to get an led scrog on here but better late then never scrog=big fuckin yield:::nicethread:

I know of at least one more, there may be more than that. Mmmmick is about to chop his sometime soon. Great grow to check out if you have time.

On the brown pistils - I think it is too uniform to be bruising - its on all of them. My guess is that its either PH or they are reacting to being given too little water. The only way I have to test the soil PH is to test the runoff. I just did a check (my first on the runoff) and found it to be in the low sixes. But that is after I flushed them with neutral water so it was probably even lower before the flush. I have never monitored PH before when growing anything - I now realize how important PH is. With this grow I have been adjusting the water to get it to 6.8. That's ok for straight water but I just learned that I probably do not want to do that when I feed them because the nutes take the PH down even further.

Interestingly the new growth is curling under even more now - PH may be the problem with the brown pistils and the curling under of the new growth - I need to do a bit more research. Whether that is the problem or not it appears that the PH does need to come up a bit to get in the optimal 6.5 - 7.0 range.

Scooby_Snacks you are seeing brown pistils and your PH is too high - I am seeing them and my PH is too low. Maybe that is not a PH problem. I was under watering and over feeding - maybe that is it. What is your feeding / watering schedule?

Speaking of other grows with these LEDs and since I do not have any new pics from this grow to post. Here are a couple pics of a Blue Dream plant I vegged outdoors, trained via LST, and then finished under these lights. It was not a big yield, but keep in mind the plant was left on my balcony and largely ignored - when it flowered I brought it in under the lights but had to pull the plug early because it got really stinky and I had no carbon scrubber. The smoke was absolutely great however. One other thing to note, I used the same soil, nutes and lights for this plant as I am using now but was not adjusting the PH down and had much less early browning of the pistils and no curled leaves - another clue that it may be low PH causing this. Once again, these photos are from a previous test grow under the same LEDs and not the current grow.

IMG_01255.JPG

IMG_01306.JPG

IMG_01285.JPG

IMG_01245.JPG

:thanks: for commenting guys I really appreciate hearing your thoughts on this grow.

I guess the question I need answered is what changes do the pistils go through at the end of flowering. I'm assuming they are not white at the end. When and how they make that change is what I need to find out. For all I know it may be normal, even with my ph problem. I have to find time to look.

I'm feeding with nutes once a week with a good feeding. One other time they get about a half feeding with only water.

Over watering or the bottom of the pots not drying completely would be more likely that under watering for me. That means 2 different issues or that's not it.

Update: growth is at a standstill. All of the new growth is heavily curled and getting more narrow. Many tips of leaves (old and new) are turning dark and crispy.

Yesterday I gave them another flush with water at 7.2 since the soil runoff PH was around 6.0. Also note that earlier in the week they got too dry - they seem to have recovered back from that - however I do not know if that is a factor in the issues I am seeing. This leaf curl has been developing for a few weeks and getting worse. It looks like the aphids are under control thanks to the neem. I probably need to wash the neem off of the leaves today.

Any guesses as to what is bothering these ladies?

DSC_00246.JPG

DSC_00202.JPG

DSC_00073.JPG

DSC_00014.JPG

I think it might have been PH. If your PH runoff was 6.0 i would have not even adjusted my next feeding. I've seen my ladies at 5.9 and seem a-ok. Ideally you want 6.3-6.8 but i think you trying to overcompensate for the slightly low ph might have caused this. Dont worry. Ph run off again, and remember when raising ph, do it gradually. ;)

Edit: I just read that all your budding has halted. This has happened to me as well, if you are sure there hasnt been light leaks then it could be PH. Give your ladies a flush, and resume water/water/feed after. Watch your PH tho.

I think it might have been PH. If your PH runoff was 6.0 i would have not even adjusted my next feeding. I've seen my ladies at 5.9 and seem a-ok. Ideally you want 6.3-6.8 but i think you trying to overcompensate for the slightly low ph might have caused this. Dont worry. Ph run off again, and remember when raising ph, do it gradually. ;)

Edit: I just read that all your budding has halted. This has happened to me as well, if you are sure there hasnt been light leaks then it could be PH. Give your ladies a flush, and resume water/water/feed after. Watch your PH tho.

Thanks DroJo, that makes perfect sense. I will just keep flushing them with 6.8 water and wait to feed them again until they start to show signs of normal growth.

Wait though, how far away are the lights? I have seen things like that start to happen when the units are too close, IE: less than 10" from the canopy. But go with the other solutions as well, as this may not even be a factor, but please consider it as perhaps a hinder to the growth if it does not resolve after what Dro suggests.

Hey, by the way, nice thread. lol. I am here! Subscribed!

-go green-

Welcome go green!

Lights being too close is another possibility, although I am putting them within the range recommended on Cammie's site - 10 inches. Its a little early to tell but I think things are starting to turn around today; well at least things have not gotten any worse today so thats a positive change. I may pull the lights back a couple of inches to be safe. Thanks for the suggestion.

Update (week 2.5 of flowering):

The two flushes have helped and things are moving back on track today. The new growth is more green and less curled and there is some (albeit small) growth over yesterday! Oh I have some new info on the brown pistils mystery. The plants now are showing less of the brown pistils and more white today. Scooby was seeing the same thing although his ph was off in the opposite direction of mine so maybe we can rule out PH. Perhaps its over feeding or under/over watering that turns them prematurely brown. I'm suspecting overfeeding at this point. Scooby_Snacks - see if that makes sense in your grow.

I spoke with a staff member at the local hydro store, whom I have found to good advice, and he felt I probably have a bit of a calcium deficiency. Apparently my nutes do not supply much cal-mag and the water provides a source that is non soluble.

I feel a little nervous about feeding them since they are starting to recover. However, following DroJo's advice I will get these ladies back on the flush/flush/feed program. Its been two flushes now so following the program I will give them a light dose of nutes and cal-mag in the next watering - probably tomorrow.

I've got them on ph lowered water and cha ching as the only nutes just in case that was the issue for a few feedings now. I went really light on the nutes the whole grow, but I can think of a few ways where it may be possible that there was still too much in the soil.

The difference is not huge, and probably hard to see in these under lit photos but looking at the grow in person, its easy to see improvement. Here is one of the most affected buds from yesterday's photos:

DSC_00246.JPG

Here is the same bud Today:

DSC_00083.JPG

There are hundreds of bud sites all over, and under, the screen - most contain dime size buds.

IMG_02287.JPG

IMG_02297.JPG

I grew a very nute sensitve strain and had leaf curling just like yours.

It wasn't lockout, it was just too much nutrition, mostly nitrogen. The curled leaves didn't ever recover, but new growth was good, once I fixed the problem.

As long as the leaves are green, photosynthesis will go on and the plant will grow.

I'd be careful flushing too much. You don't want to get any root rot. If new growth is good, just carry on with the grow and chalk one up for learning.

Make sure you're not feeding a really hot, wild mix of nutes. As far as PH goes, I'm under the impression that it's not as critical for soil as it is for Hydro.....but once you get off the reservation, it's hard to correct in soil. You don't have to be quite as precise, however.

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom