Indoor LED SCRoG grow - Blue Dream + Hindu Kush x Shiva Skunk

Week 4 of Flowering

I'm trying an experiment with the photos today. I created an Adobe Photoshop droplet to adjust the funky LED color balance on the images. Some photos look better than others since I batch processed them and applied the same value to all. It is biased to give a better effect on the bud shots.

DSC_00135.JPG

DSC_00093.JPG

DSC_00075.JPG

DSC_00063.JPG

DSC_00044.JPG

DSC_00028.JPG

One plant is showing a bit of yellowing on some of the new fan leaves. Any guesses on what's going on here?

DSC_00055.JPG

I have done two waterings with plain water and CaMg (I think they are still a bit deficient on CaMg) - I will feed them on the next watering.

looking good slimm...once i get myself ready for a multiplant grow i think i'll do a scrog as well. You've got some great pics!

Are you foliar spraying? i have the same issue with my tips and sometime i think it's because water droplets hold there and burn thru the LED light...but just a theory so far. I was planning on doing some Calmag next time a stop by the store and grab some. It doesn't seem to have hurt mine any she's growing like crazy so i'm not too worried about it yet. Let me know if you find a better answer.

Are you foliar spraying? i have the same issue with my tips and sometime i think it's because water droplets hold there and burn thru the LED light...but just a theory so far. I was planning on doing some Calmag next time a stop by the store and grab some. It doesn't seem to have hurt mine any she's growing like crazy so i'm not too worried about it yet. Let me know if you find a better answer.

I am currently not spraying anything on the leaves. When I have in the past, I have done so with the lights out until the leaves dry to avoid light burn. The curled and dying tips are understood - that is the residual effect of nutrient burn which I have resolved with some flushing. The new problem I am referring to is the inter-vein yellowing. See the areas of the plant pointed out by the red circles in the photo below:

DSC_0005_copy.JPG

Excellent update, the pics are looking very good. Incredible SCRoG you got there. The sites are looking incredible and numerous. Not sure on the yellowing...Only on one plant? If its only one plant what variable is different for it? Location? Lumens? Could be the early bird showing a deficiency...or mebbe natural yellowing during budding phase? Just throwing some stuff out there, I am new at this.

Love the SCRoG though keep it up your harvest is gonna be spectacular.

L8ER

Like the droplet. Too bad I use a free pic editor. Looking good!

Sorry can't help you with the yellowing.

Thanks SS. I have two droplets for photo processing that I use on my Apple Mac. One droplet calls a perl script that reduces the image and strips out my gps info - all photos get this treatment. The other calls Photoshop to adjust the color balance - I use this on select images. Interested Mac users can PM me and I will make the processing package available.

Excellent update, the pics are looking very good. Incredible SCRoG you got there. The sites are looking incredible and numerous. Not sure on the yellowing...Only on one plant? If its only one plant what variable is different for it? Location? Lumens? Could be the early bird showing a deficiency...or mebbe natural yellowing during budding phase? Just throwing some stuff out there, I am new at this.

Love the SCRoG though keep it up your harvest is gonna be spectacular.

L8ER

Thanks Grooster. I also am pleased with the way that the scrog is working out although there are some things I will change for the next grow. The screen is deep and I only have access to open one side of the tent. It's really tough to work on the plants on the back side of the screen and I will probably modify the tent or narrow the screen for the next grow so that I can easily access all plants.

As far as the yellowing, this is only happening for one (Hindu Kush x Shiva Skunk) plant so far - it could be the canary in the coal mine giving me a preview of things to come. I'm hoping it is just further evidence of CaMg deficiency or possibly nitrogen now that I am using flowering nutes and will not need further correction. I may hit this one with some foliar feeding and see how it reacts - I may learn something.

I hope you are right about the harvest. I have no idea what to expect!

That's a nice tight little ScrOG you've got going there, slimm. You can definitely see where the edges of the light curtain from each unit fall by looking at your canopy - and the growth is following suit.

Makes me think a 90 degree lens would allow you to drop those units even closer to your canopy, and give you great overlap at the edges with no lighting gaps, as well.

Keep rockin' your grow - hope you have a great harvest!

Regards,

-TL

Week 5 of flowering

WarBux, The Lurker, leferikson and Joe100 welcome to my journal and thanks for your comments!

Over the past week these plants have shed a lot of fan leaves. They die slowly from the tips either by yellowing on the edges or turning dark and crispy. I think this die off is due to CaMg and P deficiency. I have thought this all along and have been correcting conservatively. I fed them six days ago with 1/4 strength nutes plus CaMg and waited but the fall off continued. Normally I flush for two waterings then feed on the third. Two days ago I decided to give them another does of nutes rather than go with the plain water as my schedule would dictate. I bumped up the nutes to 1/2 strength this time. I also ph adjusted the mixture from 5.8 to 6.5 since I was concerned that the lower ph may be locking out some of the nutes. While it is too early to tell for sure I believe it is correcting the problem.

A couple of new potential problems have surfaced. I found a single leaf covered in some kind of dust. I thought it may be powdery mildew although I have not seen another incidence in the week since I pulled that leaf out of the garden. I am keeping a close eye on this and am ready with Dr. Do Right's in case any more of it shows up. A few of the tips of the new growth on the HKxSS are turning up slightly.

The canopy is pretty dense with buds. I have had to re-weave some of the tops in the screen to open up some congested areas and encourage good air flow throughout. Most of the buds are showing a good covering of trichomes and look healthy, but given all that has been going on with these plants there is quite a kaleidoscope of colors in the canopy under the LED lights.

DSC_00015.JPG

DSC_00029.JPG

DSC_00034.JPG

DSC_00045.JPG

DSC_00076.JPG

DSC_00112.JPG

DSC_00123.JPG

DSC_00136.JPG

DSC_00174.JPG

DSC_00182.JPG

DSC_00193.JPG

As I was posting the images I saw another patch of dust. It looks like the beginning of PM. I decided to turn off the lights and spray with DoRights. I will spray them again in another 3 - 5 days.

Here is what I am thinking about the conclusion of this grow. The plants probably need about 3 - 6 weeks to finish. The grow got off to a rocky start with over fertilization toward the end of veg. I have been working to recover during flowering and this will impact yield. If the issues worsen and quality of the buds is compromised at all I will harvest early and repeat the grow right away. If the problems can be worked out and buds continue to develop and are healthy I will let it run to its natural conclusion.

hi slimm, very interesting grow you have, been following l.e.d grows on here for a while but cant seem got get an answer to the question 'can a 126w produce more than 1oz of dry bud?' ...maybe im not looking hard enuff!! good luck with your grow anyway.

Irish boy has a comparison grow that is just about to wrap up. It gives you a pretty good idea of what a 126w can do. Personally I think an ounce is the least a seasoned grower can expect out of it. You may want to consider the Pro Source light used in that grow as it seems to be winning out, in flower production, against the HGL unit.

Thanks for confirming that HealingKronic. I am seeing a slowing of die off so I suspect you are correct and the CaMg supplementation I have been doing is beginning to pay off. I have probably been overly conservative in resolving this but I would rather not over correct and end up with another set of problems.

hi slimm, very interesting grow you have, been following l.e.d grows on here for a while but cant seem got get an answer to the question 'can a 126w produce more than 1oz of dry bud?' ...maybe im not looking hard enuff!! good luck with your grow anyway.

I think either the 126w HGL or the 180w PSlight can easily give you an oz of dried bud. If you check out Mmmmick's grow

Mmmmick 1st Scrog 3 strains 90w LED closet

You can see what even a ufo (think it's a no name) can do. He just harvested and posted pics.

slimm, things are looking good considering all the issues you've been battling. +rep if i can

Thanks SS! Unfortunately the ladies have suffered a little bit of a set back. I used Dr DoRights as a powdery mildew treatment and all of the pistils it came into contact with dried up and turned brown. Now I do not see anymore PM, in fact I could find two leaves with the stuff on them in the first place. However I figure, to be safe, I should hit them with another round of something just to be sure its knocked out. But I do not want to use Dr DoRights again and have the pistils browned further, so I'm open to suggestions on PM remedies for plants in the fifth week of flowering. I would like to stay organic if possible, or at least go with something that will not leave toxic residue behind. Any ideas?

Thanks HK, I have heard other reports of milk being an effective treatment. Great suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom