Instant pot decarb

I found info on several sites, the consensus seems to be :
  • Grind your cannabis until it’s fine (but not powdery)
  • Place it in the canning jar with the lid loosely closed
  • Add two cups of water to the Instant Pot
  • Place the jar in the water. The water should reach the middle of the jar; remove or add water accordingly.
  • Once the jar of cannabis is situated, set the Instant Pot for 30-40 minutes on high.
  • When the time is up, remove the jar and let it rest

Hi @Timbo57, which Instant Pot model are you using? What is the temperature on high? Are you wanting to just decarb dry bud material, or are you wanting to do an oil extraction? I have studied oil (lipid) extraction, and I think the best temperature for that is: CBD 230° to 245°, THC 220° F. As for the length of time of cooking, I'd have to look that up. The important terpene, beta-caryophyllene, starts to evaporate at 246° F.

I have seen so many threads, please need help for chronic neck and back pain.
People are having great results with CBG buds for pain. I am growing some. You can see a pic of the plants and buds in my "greenhouse grow in the tropics" link in my signature. Blending buds in the grinder... some THC buds with some CBD or CBG... is very good as well... for example, a 1:1 ratio. Some people only use a bit of THC. My experience is that THC "turns up the volume" on the CBD effects. I have actually only tested this with CBD buds so far, not CBG.

Hi @Timbo57, which Instant Pot model are you using? What is the temperature on high? Are you wanting to just decarb dry bud material, or are you wanting to do an oil extraction? I have studied oil (lipid) extraction, and I think the best temperature for that is: CBD 230° to 245°, THC 220° F. As for the length of time of cooking, I'd have to look that up. The important terpene, beta-caryophyllene, starts to evaporate at 246° F.
@sjb504, thanks for bringing me back to this.

Since I wrote that, lately I have been tuning into the chemical, acrylamide, which is carcinogenic and forms when frying or baking some types of foods (e.g. potatoes, grains, veggies). If the food being cooked contains the amino acid, asparagine, then acrylamide will form at or above 248°F. (A typical frying temp is 350°F.)

For cannabis flower lipid extraction, this is a concern if the bud material contains asparagine, which I have as yet been unable to determine. However, as long as the oil temp for extraction is kept between 220°F and 245°F, there should be no problem. For CBD, I tend to think of 240°F as the magic temperature for lipid extraction, for a decarbed extract. For THC, 220°F.

@sjb504, thanks for bringing me back to this.

Since I wrote that, lately I have been tuning into the chemical, acrylamide, which is carcinogenic and forms when frying or baking some types of foods (e.g. potatoes, grains, veggies). If the food being cooked contains the amino acid, asparagine, then acrylamide will form at or above 248°F. (A typical frying temp is 350°F.)

For cannabis flower lipid extraction, this is a concern if the bud material contains asparagine, which I have as yet been unable to determine. However, as long as the oil temp for extraction is kept between 220°F and 245°F, there should be no problem. For CBD, I tend to think of 240°F as the magic temperature for lipid extraction, for a decarbed extract. For THC, 220°F.
The temperature in the Instant Pot is very close to 230 to 248F I have been doing 2hr runs with great results.

I was thinking about getting an Instant Pot, but am leaning more now toward a stirring hot plate with temp probe. Still debating. A good hot plate is more expensive than the Instant Pot.

standard infusion + decarb time is one hour and fifty minutes. i think a straight decarb is 45 - 50 minutes. you set it up for pressure cook on high for both.

you can do a double cook with a cool down period between when infusing. decarb should be done with just one 50 minute cook.

Maybe @SweetSue can chime in? I have seen so many threads, please need help for chronic neck and back pain.

unfortunately, she moved on some time ago.

I was thinking about getting an Instant Pot, but am leaning more now toward a stirring hot plate with temp probe. Still debating. A good hot plate is more expensive than the Instant Pot.

instant pot is super easy. i'l never infuse any other way. i make mountains of thc and cbd pills, loads of body creams, and vegetable glycerine tinctures with it. it's greatly simplified things. you can infuse any oil in it.

Back
Top Bottom