Interveinal chlorosis on the top half of plants

Kushgrow3579

hi i have been having an issue with the top half of the plants getting slight interveinal chlorosis, i ph my water usually at 6.3 and use indo easy grow nutrients, i tried flushing 1 gallon of ph'ed water followed with half a gallon of half stregnth ph'ed nutrients in the 3 gallon pots to try to fix it but it still has been progressing, i also tried an epsom salt foliar spray and like a quarter tablespoon of epsom salts mixed into the top soil and it is still progressing which i thought it would since its the top half of the plant which makes me think its a molybdynum deficiency maybe? i havent checked the soil ph yet but will try a slurry test soon, cant remember if i watered since adding the epsom salts to the soil so i dont want to try a slurry test yet incase i havent so the epsom salt doesnt mess with the test. I have grown for multiple grows but would appreciate some second opinions on how to resolve the issue before its too late if it is molybdenum. Also these plants are under less than 100w of light currently. Thanks.
20210810_212859.jpg
20210810_212912.jpg
20210810_212906.jpg
20210810_212954.jpg

i will also check the ppms when i do a slurry test to but i usually water 1/4-1/2 stregnth nutes 1-2 times a week with every watering. Recently i have been running a little low on the grow supplement so some times i have been doing 1/4 grow and half stregnth for the other 2 parts since the micro nutrient has a 5-0-0 reading anyways. All input is appreciated.

That is a Magnesium deficiency. It is easily fixed with Epsom Salt added at about 1 Tbsp / 1 gal of water.

Magnesium is a mobile nutrient, so when needed the plant strips it from the lower leaves to use at the top. It appears as interveinal chlorosis and what you have is the start of it.

Magnesium is the central molecule of chlorophyll, so adding Epsom Salt to your feed regimen will green everything up as well.

:thumb:

...adding in, foliar applications are good if there is a root issue like pH being off. Add epsom at the above recommended rate and it should improve in 3-4 days. I deal with this regularly in my bonsais and I add epsom every 2 weeks to keep symptoms at bay and it looks exactly like what you are experiencing.

as @Pat Puffer mentioned water in with the epsom salts. i don't think a top dress alone will do it.

you can also use a calmag product. epsom alone does not have the calcium side. it doesn't look like it needs it here though.

hey Kush, im affraid i will lie or lead you down the wrong path, im not nearly experienced enough.
lets wait for others to give some input
@InTheShed
@bluter
Thanks Bounce!

What Pat and bluter said, and also what Lister said about feeding at ¼ or ½ strength. Feed according to the manufacturer's recommendations. If you run out, buy more or find a less expensive nute line if yours are out of range.

There's no way to grow quality buds if the plant isn't getting the nutrients it needs.

Hi kushgrow. Welcome to 420.
Could you tell us what soil you're using?
And, is there a reason you only give 1/4 strength nutes?
hey, thanks dude. Yes i started with pro-mix herb and vegetable up until 1.5 gallon pots and then from 1.5-3 gallon pots i used golf green which says it is made of peat moss, perlite, and soil, the problem started in the promix and has comtinued. I have used the promix herb and veg for many grows successfully so i think it might be a nutrient or ph issue. I have only been doing 1/4-1/2 stregnth because i have been feeding on average like 2 times a week or week and a half and have been using nutrients with every watering so i didnt want the chem nutes to build up to toxic levels. Is this the wrong train of thought?

That is a Magnesium deficiency. It is easily fixed with Epsom Salt added at about 1 Tbsp / 1 gal of water.

Magnesium is a mobile nutrient, so when needed the plant strips it from the lower leaves to use at the top. It appears as interveinal chlorosis and what you have is the start of it.

Magnesium is the central molecule of chlorophyll, so adding Epsom Salt to your feed regimen will green everything up as well.

:thumb:
...adding in, foliar applications are good if there is a root issue like pH being off. Add epsom at the above recommended rate and it should improve in 3-4 days. I deal with this regularly in my bonsais and I add epsom every 2 weeks to keep symptoms at bay and it looks exactly like what you are experiencing.
thanks pat i really appreciate all the input from you all, i thought it might be magnesium but the lower leaves are still completely green from what i can tell which is why i didnt think it was magnesium but i definitely will keep going with the epsom salts then to see if it helps to remedy them, how often do you foliar feed the epsom salts? i may add in some aloe gel aswell as i have heard good things about mixing the 2 into a foliar spray.

as @Pat Puffer mentioned water in with the epsom salts. i don't think a top dress alone will do it.

you can also use a calmag product. epsom alone does not have the calcium side. it doesn't look like it needs it here though.
alright ill keep up with the epsom salt to try to help, and ill give them a little water right now, the micro nutrient i am using does have calcium and magnesium aswell though along with other micros. Thanks

Thanks Bounce!

What Pat and bluter said, and also what Lister said about feeding at ¼ or ½ strength. Feed according to the manufacturer's recommendations. If you run out, buy more or find a less expensive nute line if yours are out of range.

There's no way to grow quality buds if the plant isn't getting the nutrients it needs.
Alright cool i can bump up the nutrients just was scared i would burnt them like my outdoor plants if i went overboard but i will bump it up to 3/4-full stregnth then if that is what everyone is recommending, I have just read before if you are using chemical nutes and if you feed full stregnth twice a week that the plant wouldnt be able to eat it all quick enough and would likely cause burn so i have always tried to error on the side of caution. So even if i feed like 2 times a week sometimes you would recomend always keeping it at full stregnth intheshed? Thank you all for helping me try to save my kush, it is one of the best strains i have ever grown or smoked in like 10-15 years of smoking so i definitely would like to maximize their potential.

Alright cool i can bump up the nutrients just was scared i would burnt them like my outdoor plants if i went overboard but i will bump it up to 3/4-full stregnth then if that is what everyone is recommending, I have just read before if you are using chemical nutes and if you feed full stregnth twice a week that the plant wouldnt be able to eat it all quick enough and would likely cause burn so i have always tried to error on the side of caution. So even if i feed like 2 times a week sometimes you would recomend always keeping it at full stregnth intheshed? Thank you all for helping me try to save my kush, it is one of the best strains i have ever grown or smoked in like 10-15 years of smoking so i definitely would like to maximize their potential.
The Indo Easy Grow manufacturer's instructions don't mention how often to feed using their product, but most companies recommend feeding with every water. Indo lists an email address as well as a chat box on their website, so I would reach out to them for clarification.

I wouldn't add any epsom salts or anything else until you try feeding them at 100% of the directions, which at this stage would be 8ml Max Grow, 2ml Max Bud, and 5ml Max Minerals.

Also, water so there is runoff (don't let the plant soak it back up) and only water when the pots are light. That will help reduce salts accumulating in the ProMix.

@Kushgrow3579

When I had a pH problem, I foliar fed about every 4 days to keep them green. My pH dropped by transplanting with pure sphagnum peat moss.

If you are sticking with foliar feeds, do so right after lights off (if possible) and focus on the bottom of the leaves as this is where a higher concentration of stomatas are.

Right after lights off, our plants open their stomata for transpiration and this allows more of the foliar application to be absorbed.

Welcome to :420:

hey, thanks dude. Yes i started with pro-mix herb and vegetable up until 1.5 gallon pots and then from 1.5-3 gallon pots i used golf green which says it is made of peat moss, perlite, and soil, the problem started in the promix and has comtinued. I have used the promix herb and veg for many grows successfully so i think it might be a nutrient or ph issue. I have only been doing 1/4-1/2 stregnth because i have been feeding on average like 2 times a week or week and a half and have been using nutrients with every watering so i didnt want the chem nutes to build up to toxic levels. Is this the wrong train of thought?
Just wanted to check that you hadn't built your own soil and was supplementing with small amounts of bottled nutes.
With that not being the case, I was going to recommend what @InTheShed has kindly covered.

@InTheShed

The pH reference was made to the particular set of circumstances I was faced with. That's why I went with a foliar. The pH dropped on me. Personally I would water it in if there isn't an issue.

The OP seems to want to stick with foliar apps which is okay. As you mentioned, I believe their pH is okay.

Back
Top Bottom