InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

I think I can still lift 45lbs if I do it right.
I'm glad you feel better and didn't have to shlep this morning. Remember to exhale on exertion and don't blow a foo foo valve!
After having my work stolen and used by a youtuber as their own I've decided to do that going forward.
I know, I can't get over it.
I wanted to make sure I had a 1 (water) gallon perlite reservoir, so I needed to find the height of perlite plus 1 gallon of water.
Thanks, this answers my question but I have another now. Why one gallon exactly? Is that to do with your feed mix?

I'm glad you feel better and didn't have to shlep this morning. Remember to exhale on exertion and don't blow a foo foo valve!
LOL had to look that up: foo foo valve.

I've had hernia repairs on both sides and they're now mesh reinforced, so at least that part of the definition is handled!
I know, I can't get over it.
Crazy!
Thanks, this answers my question but I have another now. Why one gallon exactly? Is that to do with your feed mix?
I mix in gallon increments and store the mix in 1 gallon milk jugs, so there's that. Also, folks seem to find that plants go through a lot of water in late flower and I want them to at least not have to be refilled too often (like 2x a day).
Good idea!
Sad but true!

Monday update stage 2: the one where I move both Summer grow plants into really heavy buckets on day 34!

First up was the 5 Killer Cookies coming out of the 1 gallon perlite SWICK. Here are the roots in the perlite:

I knocked off as much perlite as I could without damaging the roots:

Here's the full rootball:

Notice that the root growth near the top is pretty sparse, to the extent that I had to handle this carefully to prevent the top from falling apart! It's definitely focused on growing roots where the water is.

I sprinkled the roots and the hole with @DYNOMYCO, and put it in the new SWICK bucket:

I top-watered it with about 3/4 gallon Prescription Blend week-4 veg, and weighed it:

Oof on my back...and that's not with a full res!

Next up was Grandpa's Moonshine, moving from a regular top-watered 1 gallon pot to the SIP I built on Saturday. Here it was before transplant:

The more evenly-distributed roots:

I broke up the bottom per @Azimuth's recommendations so that there would be more soil between the plant and the top of the SIP res tub, sprinkled it all with Dynomyco, and planted it:

At this point I was out of PB nutes so I top-watered it with half a gallon of MC at 4.5g/gallon (standard veg strength). Since the res is full that should last it for a while now!

Here they both are after I managed to carry them into the tent last night:

And this morning with the mother plants:

I increased the @Mars Hydro SP 250 to 100 watts and set the height for 21,000lux at the tops:

The light is on a slant to make up for the height difference between them.

I mixed up more PB this morning and added a little less than 1/2 gallon to the SWICK res before it overflowed onto the tent floor, so it too should be set for water for a while. They're all living inside today because it's drizzling! Tomorrow I will lift with my knees so I don't have to spend another evening on Advil and a heating pad. :)

Thanks for scrolling along. :ciao:

Quote:

Thanks Grateful!

I am now. :thumb:
Very impressive root work Sensei and didn’t you learn from me last year about after watering n picking up with your legs? Smh CL🍀

...at 70, I've quit doing 15's...only 7's or 5's, and watching what @Cola Monster is doing in solo's, almost makes one want to rethink their game plan... ;) :hmmmm:...cheerz...:high-five:...h00k...:hookah:...
This post gives me hope!! I just turned 58 and my first thought was, how much longer will
I be able to do this? Then I realized exactly what you said - I can always adapt and pare it down, and if I’m still around at 70, hell I’ll grow Solo cop SOGs of 100 cups at a time. Lol!

...at 70, I've quit doing 15's...only 7's or 5's, and watching what @Cola Monster is doing in solo's, almost makes one want to rethink their game plan... ;) :hmmmm:...cheerz...:high-five:...h00k...:hookah:...
I'm right there with you and I forgot how old I was when I tried to push a car uphill a few weeks ago.

Snap! Ow?

Fortunately, I don't think I tore anything TOO badly ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

I hope I can remember fast enough next time. *mutter* foolish old man ...

...at 70, I've quit doing 15's...only 7's or 5's, and watching what @Cola Monster is doing in solo's, almost makes one want to rethink their game plan......cheerz......h00k......
I hear ya h00k! Solo cups and an auto watering system and you'd be all set to hardly leave the couch. :)

I gave up 10s and now 7 is my biggest cloth pot. We'll see how I do with 40lb plastic buckets. :hmmmm:
This post gives me hope!! I just turned 58 and my first thought was, how much longer will
I be able to do this? Then I realized exactly what you said - I can always adapt and pare it down, and if I’m still around at 70, hell I’ll grow Solo cop SOGs of 100 cups at a time. Lol!
You got years left of stacking and hula hooping around your grows Jon, no doubt!
I'm right there with you and I forgot how old I was when I tried to push a car uphill a few weeks ago.
Snap! Ow?
Fortunately, I don't think I tore anything TOO badly ...
I hope I can remember fast enough enough next time. *mutter*
I don't think I was ever young enough to consider that a good idea! Stop by here next time you're thinking about it and we'll remind you. :high-five:

I don't think I was ever young enough to consider that a good idea! Stop by here next time you're thinking about it and we'll remind you. :high-five:
Heheh, 30 years ago I tried to push a car with a flat tire. That's another no-no.

Aggravated that same torn muscle again this time, too.

The good news is that you never get too old to be a dumbass, no matter how much we pretend that we do.

:thumb:

Snap! Ow?

Fortunately, I don't think I tore anything TOO badly ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

I hope I can remember fast enough next time. *mutter* foolish old man ...
I remember feeling something go wrong when I picked it up and it hurt for a month solid. The only time I got relief was on the heating pad. Smh CL🍀

I remember feeling something go wrong when I picked it up and it hurt for a month solid. The only time I got relief was on the heating pad. Smh CL🍀
Ya, the month solid is the clue. Oops.

Just gotta stay relaxed and don't let it cramp. *sigh*

Mebbe smoke a little more than usual. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Nice job on both of the new planters, Shed!
after I managed to carry them
"Managed" makes them sound heavy...
We'll see how I do with 40lb plastic buckets.
I'd have to put wheels on it if I made one of those...

Could you make a @BeezLuiz type trolley or two that would fit through the shed door?

Beware- they slosh a lot of water out the overflow when being moved around- you may want to get a
couple of 3/4" pvc caps to put on them while schlepping..the sloshing doesn't hurt anything, but it does get annoying...

Nice job on both of the new planters, Shed!
Thanks Carcass! I could have used a tzatziki container from Trader Joe's for the SIP but I might have to refill it every couple of hours or so. :)
I'd have to put wheels on it if I made one of those...
Could you make a @BeezLuiz type trolley or two that would fit through the shed door?
I've considered that but there are too many level changes and brick edging and packed soil to get over on the way down. I figure there will almost always be someone around to help if they get too heavy/unwieldy! Luckily it's not dark yet when I get home this time of year so no need to make my wife try to lift them on her own. :eek:
Beware- they slosh a lot of water out the overflow when being moved around- you may want to get a
couple of 3/4" pvc caps to put on them while schlepping..the sloshing doesn't hurt anything, but it does get annoying...
Oh true! I can tape up the overflow on the SWICK but an end cap for the SIP drain might come in pretty handy.

If you ever do go solo I hope you're smarter than me and make your table or tray at least waist high so you don't have get on your hands and knees two or three times a day to feed the plants.:lot-o-toke:
Once I get down there it not only takes forever it seems to get back up again but to also shake the cobwebs from my head.🕸️

The ideal tool for you and the Mrs is HERE.

Back
Top Bottom