Is there a way for me to test for magnesium content in my soil?

bobj

I have a soil test kit, but it only measures for NPK & pH. Is there a method or a product I can use (that won't break the bank) to test for magnesium?

Yes, lots of them to test for magnesium and a lot more. Do a web-search (via Google or your favorite search-engine) for:
Code:
soil test kit for magnesium

Plants get a lot of their Mg from water, as a dissolved solid, MgCO3, among others. Even if you test for it in the soil, you won’t know what form it’s in, some forms are much more available to the plant than others. You should check with your water supplier, they have the breakdown, maybe on-line, if you’re on a well, then it’s tougher. But you could possibly draw some conclusions if your well draws from the same source/aquifer as the water Co. Barring that, check the ppms of the well water.

Laboratory analysis is the best method. Pack some up in a sandwich bag send it off with the payment and they will email the results. Takes about 2 weeks. They also test water and waste (compost).

Laboratory analysis is the best method. Pack some up in a sandwich bag send it off with the payment and they will email the results. Takes about 2 weeks. They also test water and waste (compost).
If you have a local department of agriculture, or university with an ag department, you could maybe get a soil analysis test very quickly and wouldn't be very expensive. Good luck!

I have a soil test kit, but it only measures for NPK & pH. Is there a method or a product I can use (that won't break the bank) to test for magnesium?
There is no easy way wet chemistry could distinguish between calcium and magnesium. You need an elemental analyzer such as atomic absorption or ICP equipment. Not your usual test kit.

You can find soil test kits that come with every mute test included they cost few more bucks Lowes has them I believe were I got mine at

Back
Top Bottom