Italian Outdoor Adventures - From Pure Indicas to Pure Sativas

Small update, guys!

Two Malawis had to be tossed as one was fried by the sun, and the other had freaky cotyledon, and refused to grow.
Other ones are doing fine and except minor problems, which occured during one cold night, when I sprayed them with water, but the temperature dropped down below 30°F, so I got some cold bleaching on two plants. Leaves started blackening literally :) But it's fine now. Temps during a day are still rising and are around 85°F now, and all seedlings get around 8 hours of direct sunlight a day.

Transplanting date is coming. In around two weeks they should be ready. I checked both my spots today, added some volcanic rock dust, more compost and started pissing around at The Sunny Spot, which has great soil and sun exposure. You can see it just looking at the wild growth exploding there. I found some stinging nettle nearby and added it to the mix too. If they survive insects, I should end up with nice buds. 4 plants will go there. I noticed some ladybugs around by the way, good sign :surf:

The Shady Spot looks all clear and prepared as well, added some volcanic rock dust there and biochar + wood ash to neutralize PH even more. 7 plants will go there. 2 are gonna stay at home :yummy: I'm thinking about forced flowering to get buds around July as I'm running low on weed.

Here are the pics:

Orient Express (a little bleaching is visible)
0091024.jpg

Malawi Gold
0071248.jpg

Hawaiian Skunk Haze
0061322.jpg

L.A. Confidential
0051498.jpg

Trainwreck
0031677.jpg

Orient Express again
0021758.jpg

Have a nice weed everyone! :Namaste:

Ok, here we go with another update.

Last couple of days have been rainy here, so temps dropped down to low 60's and humidity's been on the rise, but all plants are doing fine growing in their own time. Well, it's not hydro and they're not on 18/6 period, so we won't see any super fast growth, but stems are getting hardened and no deficiencies have been noticed :smokin: They're not being yet fertilized, as I plan on starting this around May, giving them at least 2-3 weeks after transplanting, and I won't be pumping big amounts of nutes, just some natural remedies like bloodmeal and stinging nettle tea. I'll focus more on stimulating microbacterial life this time using Italian product called Micosat F Len, containing root fungi such as: Glomus Coronatum, Caledonium, Intraradices, Mosseae, Viscosum, bacteriae: Bacillus Subtilis, Streptomyces, and saprotrophic fungi: Beauveria, Paecilomyces lilacinus. Then I'll go with organic sugar, molasses and lactobacillus acidophilus.

Organics, if done properly - especially outdoor - prevents all nutrient problems, and if summer/autumn is exceptional, you end up with buds to remember :yummy:

Below you got some pics.

The tallest ones started their life cycle around 17-20 days ago, the shortest ones one week later, so there's noticeable difference.
0071256.jpg
0081150.jpg

Cotton Candy (not impressed till this point, but we'll see)
cotton3.jpg

Hawaiian Skunk Haze (definitely sativa dominant, but don't know what to expect here)
hsh1.jpg

Malawi Gold (looks almost like an indica or skunk for now)
malawi2.jpg

Orient Express (I'd like to get Vietnam Black pheno here)
orient.jpg

Pakistan Chitral Kush (strong and fast growing indica)
pakistan.jpg

Trainwreck (Good vigour and defnitely sativa dominant)
trainwreck34.jpg

Looking great. I have not had the same success with my seeds. Not sure where I went wrong.

Germinated in a paper towel until they split. 15 of 16 cracked open in 48 hours. Then into a jiffy mix seedling starter soil. Kept them wet and in a seed starter container with a lid. Took the lid off during the days. Moved them inside and outside as needed.

Only 2 after 9 days in soil. None of my holy grail kush even came up but they all sprouted.

Thegreengrocr, that might be couple of problems. First possibility is that your beans crcked open, but they didn't sprout. I usually wait until I see tap root coming out. Second one is that your soil was too wet and they went down too deep, didn't have enough oxygen to get to the surface. Third one is PH of your water, this can damage the seeds if it's too high. I'll come and take a look at your grow!

And here I was hoping to come visit your grow. My grand parents came from Sicily.

Guess I have been doing clones too long. PH was 6.8 going in. I try to get them in before too much root grows to reduce chance of damage. They were in about 1/2 inches (13mm) deep and fairly wet and warm.

Still have half of the seeds so I need to get this figured out.

Thanks

So you're Italian, eh :)
I don't blame you for growing clones, you have some stuff going there in Cali I'd love to put my hand on :thumb:
When they make it legal here, I'm gonna start import :hookah:

Thegreengrocr, that might be couple of problems. First possibility is that your beans crcked open, but they didn't sprout. I usually wait until I see tap root coming out. Second one is that your soil was too wet and they went down too deep, didn't have enough oxygen to get to the surface. Third one is PH of your water, this can damage the seeds if it's too high. I'll come and take a look at your grow!
I was wondering how dry & for how long should one go before watering the soil again. I'm a small indoor grower & have had this same problem of not sprouting with my last two beans after tap-rooting and planting them. I wasn't having this problem before.

I wanted to have a new better pure kush strain. Was hoping to get it this way. Still have a few good seeds to go.

I did find a seed last night in the Tit's Mother that I got. It is my current favorite. First one I found was in the grinder but too late.

I have her children growing in the greenhouse. Not clones so not sure what the lineage is on this seed. Tit's is OG Kush crossed with Durban then Sour Diesel added back in.

I'm not familiar with this strain, thegreengrcr, but we don't have pure OG Kush line on this side of the pond unfortunately. Sometimes I think wtf is this thing really? The closest guess somebody made is that it basically came from Super Skunk pheno (Skunk#1 x Northern Lights). Well, I never smoked OG, but I smoked a lot of SS in the 90's, almost everything that Dutchmen were breeding at that time, abd I wouldn't say it was my favourite smoke. Then, OG might be sth completely different. I heard it's sativa dominant, but all pics I saw were actually showing a lot of Afghani genetics, rather indica dominant then, at least as far as looks are concerned. Hope you're gonna get great buds anyway :)

BAR, as far as your seed problem goes, if it shows at least 1-2 mm sprout, it should grow in soil normally providing it doesn't have low or high water PH problem. I've come to a conclusion over the years that you shouldn't water at all after you drop them in the dirt. What you need to do is to mist the surface with water once, twice a day, that's it really, and I'm talking about temps around 70F. Sometimes it takes a week though, so if you want to speed it up, wait for the tap root to grow 3-4 mm.

It's a home made variety from a breeder I have known for 30 years. This is where my clones come from, in any size I might add.

They are the back row in my early green house grow. A lot of Sativa but not in looks. Flavor and kick. It has what it takes. I do like your choices this season also.

I will be germinating again next week. I will let the tap root grow more and lightly water. I will be spending the weekend at a bbq at a fellow outdoor growers ranch. Best buds (literally) for 37 years. He puts them in the week after the annual party.

BAR, as far as your seed problem goes, if it shows at least 1-2 mm sprout, it should grow in soil normally providing it doesn't have low or high water PH problem. I've come to a conclusion over the years that you shouldn't water at all after you drop them in the dirt. What you need to do is to mist the surface with water once, twice a day, that's it really, and I'm talking about temps around 70F. Sometimes it takes a week though, so if you want to speed it up, wait for the tap root to grow 3-4 mm.
Thanxx so much C. I'll just mist the beans I have in soil for now. Everything else is within the parameters you mentioned.

Thegreengrcr, that's good to know outdoor is not going out of style :) So much hype around indoor these days, that you almost feel embarassed that you're doing it the nature's way ;) I can say that the best buds I smoked in my life were outdoor, yes sativa dominant, and they were some accidental cross :) Then, I have nothing against indoor. Damn, I did it three times myself, but now I'm searching the best genetics for my local climate. Would like that Malawi Gold to be a gal and to check her legendary potency. In the next couple of years I hope to find that one or to come with a new cross, possibly Asian sativa x African sativa. Well, we'll see :)

Damn, fingerlickin' plants. What are they, 7-footers already? :) If I could set up a greenhouse grow, I'd force flowering to get 2 harvests a year :)

My friend with the big greenhouse does 3. A lil light dep in the middle grow. He also has lighting. His early crop went in Jan. 15th. He added 2 hours of light during the night to ward of flowering then let them go on Feb. 15th. He will finish the harvest early this week and right into the next grow that has been prepped indoors.

I will do 2 and force flower a month before mother nature would.

Thanxx so much C. I'll just mist the beans I have in soil for now. Everything else is within the parameters you mentioned.

Again, Thank you so much C. It worked like a charm...

IMG_20140427_060750.jpg

IMG_20140427_060823.jpg

Back
Top Bottom