JASPL's First Grow — Durban Poison - Big Bud - Kalashnikova — Outdoor 2012

Re: JASPL’s First Grow – Durban Poison - Big Bud - Kalashnikova – Outdoor 2012

I cant believe I'm just now stumbling upon this post!
:yikes:Look at those trunks!:yikes:

Re: JASPL's First Grow — Durban Poison, Big Bud, Kalashnikova — Outdoor 2012

Get them out if they block the sun and buds. Great grow .I will be watching / Good luck .
Lucky bugger!:) Was it a nice smoke??? I havent seen this grown by my friends, and im sort of LST ing hr, i hope she will grow big enough,least 5ft, her main cola grows about 1.5 inches a day now, but she is so dense, i need to trim another fan leaf but some ppl saying do trim, some saying dont.. Some leaves are pressing together and causing the plant to sweat thru leaves.. And some heads coming up cant push thru the thiick top canopy.. Do u think its ok to trim some fans?? I know good technique.. THanks everyone;) SMOKEMUP..

Re: JASPL's First Grow — Durban Poison, Big Bud, Kalashnikova — Outdoor 2012

Thanks Johnny:)
Ive been worried about stressing her by removing fans off her. But she has ample leaves on her, with my 600w HPS going now it does penetrate better than my MH which is good. Since her main branches are fairly close - ive set em out as far as possible atm, but there is minimal light getting thru to her base. Im only taking a few at a time, and usually below the top 3 sets of fans.
Light is filtering thru, but ive heard that reducing the amount of fan leaves will make the plant produce some weed thats not as strong as it could be? HAVE YOU HEARD OF ANYTHING SIMILAR?? I plan to lightly feather her so as the shoots in the middle of her have a chance to at least grow some small nugs, and its up to the rest of her branches to produce the most weight.
If this grow yields me less than my last few grows, grown normally - no training, I will go back to xmas tree style..
But i really hope she will be a good producer, as if i had more space i know she would pump out some nice cola's so i got them all into the best positions. And the other shoots im trying to train and tether them into position for more light, so hopefully she will grow well.
Im not going to trim her again for a couple days, as now she is GROWING MORE PER DAY than before so im going to let her be for 48hrs and maybe trim couple more leaves if need be... THANKS FOR UR SUGGESTIONS MATE!! Smokemup;)

Greetings 420 Friends!

Quick Update and Pics

I have stopped all ferts except molasses 1 cup per week. My soil is very fertile so I'm not afraid of being too early depriving them. We have continued to have some nice intermittent rain. Temperatures have finally dropped this week to 60 at night and 72 during the day.

Last week I mentioned trimming some bud off a broken branch from the Durban Poison. I spread the buds out over a large pizza pan and set them up on a dark shelf in my dehumidified basement. After about 5 days they were sufficiently dry to transfer to a quart jar (filled) and SAMPLE!

As a reminder, these buds had mostly cloudy (not milky) trichs. The buds remain green colored, the pistils dried to a deep red. Still smell a bit grassy (chlorophyll). I broke of a piece of bud and torched it in an old cob pipe. (I smoke a tobacco pipe). Very mellow taste and no harshness that I expected given its lack of maturity. Nice, heady buzz with two tokes lasting about an hour. I could tell I was walking around with a shit-eating grin, just like a nice sativa should. Very nice indeed.

Now for the pics:

This is the big Durban Poison. At her peak she was at 14 feet but gravity has taken its toll on the old girl. You may notice the front branches are bent over and resting on the raspberries wire trellis.

0011010.JPG

This is the most mature Big Bud plant. The other Big Bud lived in the shadow of the Durban Poison so she isn't as far along. I should have added something for context but those top colas are as big around as a soda can and as long as your finger tips to elbow.

0021035.JPG

These are the two Big Bud plants side by side.

003973.JPG

This is a closeup of some of the larger colas on the Big Bud.

004905.JPG

005865.JPG

These are some shots of the Durban Poison buds.

007705.JPG

008655.JPG

Just a bit more bud candy. These are shots of where I crawled between the stockade fence and the back of the Big Bud plants:

009592.JPG

Overall I continue to be well pleased with the grow. I'm making list of what I've learned and what I will do different next time.

I thought I might be able to start cutting this weekend but the trichs are still just cloudy to some milky. I really enjoy a sativa high but would like to see some amber. You can also see the pistils are still mostly white.

I also have the option of cutting this weekend and letting the remaining Kalashnikova continue to grow.

I need to give some thought to Bubble Bags and processing some trim.

I may have to rent a storage unit for the all the weed.

Opinions welcome!

JASPL:peace:

Very nice! That is good to see, those are nice some colas there. Should be ready to harvest at any time! Thanks for the update, and Happy Harvesting!

Get that shit eating grin on!

Wow your plants are massive :bravo: Let us know how a true Durban Poison is supposed to smoke I purchased a strain of purple durban poison b4 the high from it was so odd.. By the time you knew you were high it would bottom out really fast

Sunday Update

Two days of trimming accomplished. The Durban Poison is down and in the drying racks!

I started the day yesterday just sort of getting my feet wet. Started removing branches, gently pulling off fan leaves and trimming down each bud. I figured if its a bud, it's going in the drying rack. By the end of the day I had one full rack and a second about half full. Absolutely no way this is going to work!

Regrouped this morning with a new plan of attack.

Broke out the ladder. Now I'm on a mission for nothing but the best colas. I clip off an arm full of colas, carry them back to the shed, pull the fan leaves and then rip the small tender leaves down to the bud surface. I make a pile of colas, break out the scissors and put the trim bucket between my feet and start trimming buds. Ripping the tender leaves with my hand is much quicker.

As I get a pile of trimmed colas hung on the line, I gather them up and trim off individual buds which are flipped into the drying racks. Now we're cooking!

To the pics:

One of my first colas trimmed up this morning:

0011019.JPG

My first hour of trimming:

004907.JPG

007710.JPG

Drying rack filling up:

005870.JPG

Second hour of trimming:

008657.JPG

Final Hour of trimming:

012405.JPG

The drying racks are full:

013393.JPG

Durban Poison Skeleton:

009595.JPG

Big Bud plant immediately next to the Durban Poison. As you can see, there isn't much left to it so its coming out today to land on the compost pile. I have plenty of bud.

010548.JPG

My plan is to keep the drying rack hanging in the shed with the door open for the next week. My local weather is perfect. 70F degrees, humidity 55%, forecast is for same. Then I will transfer the drying rack to my basement and start moving bud to jars when ready.

I have one more drying rack that I will use for the remaining Big Bud plant. I think its about ready so I may trim for an hour each evening this week or wait till the weekend.

BIG QUESTION: You see all four drying racks are full of green bud. Let's hear some guesses for final weight on the Durban Poison.

Enjoy your week.

Wow very nice Update, I bet it felt like being on an airplane zoned out trimming for hours on end. I bet your hands got sticky too!
Dunno how u managed to snap pics! LOL Good job on your first grow JASPL! Did you get to smoke your scissor hash?

My estimation would be about upwards of 4 pounds on that one.They're gonna shrink a lot. So it could be more or less! Hard to tell =)

Good job, and enjoy the cream of the crop.:420:

~RL

BAHAHAHAHA:):) OMG thats some friggin nice trees to harvest Jaspl!!! PUTS A SMILE ON MY DIAL!! It really makes me wish i still lived in my old house as there i could comfortably grow outdoors, and it was grouse..
But now its too much risk as any number of ppl from my neighbours would jump at the chance to rip em up! Espec. as they WOULD NOT KNOW HOW TO GROW EVEN LAWN GRASS!! If they saw some of my old girls i had along the back fence, i could be sure that just as they were starting to flower - these twits would think theyre ready and bail with em!
Seeing your baseball bat buds is making me even more itchy for my Cindy to finish her cycle!! As i hope some of her strain traits show through during her flower period.. She s meant to grow some fox-tails, they will be smaller than yours of course - but im hoping they grow ok in whats left of my space!
NICE WORK BUDDY AND IM SURE THAT YOU WERE SECRETLY SMILING INSIDE AS YOUR FINGERS GOT SORE FROM TRIMMING UP THEM MASSIVE BUDS:):) Good one, chat soon mate, Smokemup..

Wow very nice Update, I bet it felt like being on an airplane zoned out trimming for hours on end. I bet your hands got sticky too!
Dunno how u managed to snap pics! LOL Good job on your first grow JASPL! Did you get to smoke your scissor hash?

My estimation would be about upwards of 4 pounds on that one.They're gonna shrink a lot. So it could be more or less! Hard to tell =)

Good job, and enjoy the cream of the crop.:420:

~RL

Thanks Lee. Funny, every time I would get in a groove and start to zone out I would nip my fingers with the damn scissors. Of course, the only band aids in the house were Dora the Explorer brand that my daughter bought as a joke. I'm sitting in my garden trimming bud with my fingers covers in Dora band aids.

You are right about taking pics being tough. After I cleaned off the finger hash I had a real cheap bottle of vodka to take the stickiness off my hands. What the hell else do you do with cruddy Vodka, right? I still managed to gum up my camera pretty well. I'll need to tend to that next.

I smoked a little bit of the hash Saturday morning which was really good but I managed to hold off on Sunday till after I was done trimming. I didn't want to lop off one of my fingers with just Dora band aids in the house.

A four pound plant? That would be epic. As it is I don't think I will need to grow again for a long time. Though it is an enjoyable activity by itself.

BAHAHAHAHA:):) OMG thats some friggin nice trees to harvest Jaspl!!! PUTS A SMILE ON MY DIAL!! It really makes me wish i still lived in my old house as there i could comfortably grow outdoors, and it was grouse..
But now its too much risk as any number of ppl from my neighbours would jump at the chance to rip em up! Espec. as they WOULD NOT KNOW HOW TO GROW EVEN LAWN GRASS!! If they saw some of my old girls i had along the back fence, i could be sure that just as they were starting to flower - these twits would think theyre ready and bail with em!
Seeing your baseball bat buds is making me even more itchy for my Cindy to finish her cycle!! As i hope some of her strain traits show through during her flower period.. She s meant to grow some fox-tails, they will be smaller than yours of course - but im hoping they grow ok in whats left of my space!
NICE WORK BUDDY AND IM SURE THAT YOU WERE SECRETLY SMILING INSIDE AS YOUR FINGERS GOT SORE FROM TRIMMING UP THEM MASSIVE BUDS:):) Good one, chat soon mate, Smokemup..

Hey Smoke!

I had no idea these plants would get so big outdoors. If they had been properly spaced my yield would easily double from what it is.

Trimming is quite monotonous but I guess it goes with the territory. I have to be careful to not get lazy and leave too much sugar leaf on them - I don't want to have any mold problems this late in the game.

GREAT GROW. JUST WONDERING HOW YOU CAN GET HARVESTED BY THE 16TH OF SEPT.EARLY STRAINS OR LOCATION?:thumb:

Thanks John.

The Durban and the Big Bud were promoted as finishing in mid September in the northern hemisphere so I'm right about where I should be. Preferring a sativa high, I also had no issue with potentially taking them a week early, especially since I so enjoyed the buds I sampled last week.

Looking to take advantage of the indica traits in the Big Bud I hope it will be ready to come down this weekend.

That leaves the Kalshnikova which also advertises a mid-Sept finish if planted my mid-April. I was a month late getting her in.

Security is also an issue when everything around them is starting to die off and most folks around me are cleaning up the garden and getting ready for cold weather.

I would love to have some of the Kalshnikova but if it doesn't finish early enough and I worry about being compromised then I will pull it and try again another year. It's been a loooong season.

Back
Top Bottom