JASPL's First Grow — Durban Poison - Big Bud - Kalashnikova — Outdoor 2012

Re: JASPL's First Grow — Durban Poison, Big Bud, Kalashnikova — Outdoor 2012

Hi JASPL,
I have said it before and I will say it again, those are such amazing plants. Incredible size and color.

You mentioned your concern about family visitors, in my opinion moving those monsters could not be an easy task as well as I believe could be harmful to them. Here is my crazy and possibly stupid idea... Wrap some burlap around each plant and explain to your visitors that you were having problems with gypsy moth/caterpillars. I see many small trees and bushes in my area with burlap for that exact reason. It would be easy and quick to set-up and you could use some of the stakes you already have. If this is too wacky of an idea I hope at least you got a good laugh!

I can not wait to see the size of the buds on these plants. Keep up the great work.

its like putting a curtain on kingkong, stick him in a corner hopefully
no one will notice him lol (im sorry, i is ripped)

subd mate, great looking plants, im not sure how others feel about this but from what i have read and seen you will more than likely need some kind of shelter for them when they are well into flower, you dont want a heavy rain fall ruining the crop by soaking the plants, i know naturally they grow outside with no covers, but i have seen people make covers they bring out when it rains, its not so much of a problem in veg or early on in flower, but when it comes close to harvest you dont want a storm soaking them buds, they will rot and they could break the branches under the weight of the buds and water, im not an outdoor grower so cant comment to much and i hope someone else can explain better or even correct me if i am wrong,

Hey JASPL. Soon squirrels, birds and monkeys alike will be able to take up residence in your cannabis trees. :)

If you are afraid of detection from the man I would actually consider chopping them a bit. Sure your yield will take a hit but you are still gonna get an astronomical harvest if they keep fattening up like this. And moving plants like this will be impossible without crippling the root system. Those tap roots probably go down as far as the plants are high.

I'm gonna love seeing how the Durban Poison in particular turn out. Best of luck!

Wow those are beasts.... I know that my aunt used to grow along a fence like yours, and she would let the plants grow up, then tie them down along the fence, then let them grow up, and repeat the process...kind of a mix between a scrog and LST, then the plant will have less height but still continue to grow, also might help with the light issues..

Wow those are beasts.... I know that my aunt used to grow along a fence like yours, and she would let the plants grow up, then tie them down along the fence, then let them grow up, and repeat the process...kind of a mix between a scrog and LST, then the plant will have less height but still continue to grow, also might help with the light issues..

Funny you say that - yesterday I threw a rope around the top of the big 8' DP and started pulling it over. I figure I will try to tighten it a couple of inches every few days until I get the interior opened up where I want it. I'm not sure it matters or not but I only have space to bend it towards the south - I suspect the sun would better reach the interior of the plant if I could go the other way but I'll see how this works out.

Besides, I suspect the yield from these four plants is already going to be much more than I and a few friends can use before my next grow.

That's a really good "problem" to have. :thumb:

JASPL:peace:

Hey JASPL. Soon squirrels, birds and monkeys alike will be able to take up residence in your cannabis trees. :)

If you are afraid of detection from the man I would actually consider chopping them a bit. Sure your yield will take a hit but you are still gonna get an astronomical harvest if they keep fattening up like this. And moving plants like this will be impossible without crippling the root system. Those tap roots probably go down as far as the plants are high.

I'm gonna love seeing how the Durban Poison in particular turn out. Best of luck!

I've considered topping them but I'm going to try pulling that big girl over and seeing how that helps.

You may have noted those raspberries and blackberries in some of my pics. This bed has the start of the same set-up as they do with the wire trellis system. I'm considering stretching the wire trellis across and then hanging some very lightweight row cover across the front of them. The row cover only blocks 5% of the sun so it won't be an issue that way. Agribon+ AG-15 - 118" x 50' - Johnny's Selected Seeds

We'll see.

subd mate, great looking plants, im not sure how others feel about this but from what i have read and seen you will more than likely need some kind of shelter for them when they are well into flower, you dont want a heavy rain fall ruining the crop by soaking the plants, i know naturally they grow outside with no covers, but i have seen people make covers they bring out when it rains, its not so much of a problem in veg or early on in flower, but when it comes close to harvest you dont want a storm soaking them buds, they will rot and they could break the branches under the weight of the buds and water, im not an outdoor grower so cant comment to much and i hope someone else can explain better or even correct me if i am wrong,

Agreed. If I apply the row cover like a curtain I suspect that may do the trick. Unfortunately I'm quite some time away from having to cover buds.

Thanks.

your going to need a small army to trim them buds, not something you will want to do on your own, would take weeks, and im not joking either, to much for one man, then when its dried your going to need some jars to cure it all, id start buying them now, you will need hundreds

I believe I read somewhere that diffused light is actually better than direct light...so those cover's your putting on will serve even more of a useful purpose :)

Greetings All!

Its been a while since I updated so I thought I would let everyone know how the ladies are doing.

Like most of the US, it has been a dry July. I've been watering twice per week and applying ferts every two weeks. I've changed over to a dry fertilizer that I use in the vegetable garden. It is a generic slow release 18-24-12 available at Home Depot. A 25 pound bag runs about US$30. I scratch in two cups per plant around the drip line. That's all their getting.

The ladies have maintained their phenomenal growth rate and continue to look very healthy. At least once per week I find it necessary to grab a roll of twine and provide some extra support to the branches.

A few weeks ago I started tying down the top of the big Durban Poison on the far left. It was my intent to limit the vertical size of this plant - its was already 8 feet high. All I really managed to do was expose the interior of the plant to light so now I have a new top that has reached the 9 feet mark.

I'm convinced the only way to limit the size of these plants is to take a set of lopers to them and start cutting. I just can't bring myself to cut off perfectly healthy branches full of pre-flowers. I'm torn between wanting to improve my stealth vs setting some sort of 420 record for grams per plant with a first grow. Such problems!

Anyway - here they are: The gothic-top fence behind them is 6 feet high. The deer wire stretched across the top of that fence is 7 1/2 feet high.

2012-07-22_Garden_001.JPG

2012-07-22_Garden_002.JPG

2012-07-22_Garden_003.JPG

2012-07-22_Garden_004.JPG

2012-07-22_Garden_005.JPG

2012-07-22_Garden_006.JPG

Someone commented earlier that I'm going to need some help trimming. I agree.

Any volunteers?

Stay Cool.

Hey mate, how are ya?
Youre just like the crew i grew up around, ol skool growers and smokers where the weed was all outdoor and hydro was a complex thing scientists did n shit!!Lol.. I am a generation unto that, i like to grow soil, tho have to be inside due to certain 'issues'..
I am currently growing a C99 x Panama Red atm, she ;s a month old and already getting a slight smell up close to her:)
I havent grown this befor but she is a fairly responsive plant, and now is going strong, have you grown PR before and was the size of the plant good?? Im really keen to see her full mature buds, im trying to grow her to 6 ft.. Hoping to improve on my last NL harvest of 8 oz dry cola's and small buds to toke on..I have a better light this time and set up is better also.
Well mate, i cant wait to see your girls fully packed calyxes.. YUMMY!!
Anyways nice to meet ya, good luk and Happy Harvesting:) Smokem..

Lucky bugger!:) Was it a nice smoke??? I havent seen this grown by my friends, and im sort of LST ing hr, i hope she will grow big enough,least 5ft, her main cola grows about 1.5 inches a day now, but she is so dense, i need to trim another fan leaf but some ppl saying do trim, some saying dont.. Some leaves are pressing together and causing the plant to sweat thru leaves.. And some heads coming up cant push thru the thiick top canopy.. Do u think its ok to trim some fans?? I know good technique.. THanks everyone;) SMOKEMUP..

i got to agree them plants are huge, going to be a few days work harvesting them, well done mate they look amazing.

@smokemup. if you have leaves touching each other and making them sweat then remove one of these, you can also remove leaves that are not getting much light, try and tie any leaves out the way if you can, if a leaf is covering a bud site and totally blocking the light then cut it off mate, i try and remove very little but sometimes you just have to, so i remove any inner leaves that are turning yellow and wilting, if i have 2 leaves touching each other and the one is stoping the light getting to the other then remove it, having the leaves sweating will cause the leaves to rot and could cause problems, just dont go over the top and you should be ok mate, leaves get eaten in the wild so its not like it dont happen naturally,

Greeting Friends!

Another update on my outdoor garden.

We've been fortunate to receive some pretty decent rain over the past couple of weeks so I've not needed to add any supplemental irrigation. I am allowing the dry fertilizer I've been using to work itself through the soil in order that I can have better control with liquids as I get closer to harvest time.

Speaking of harvest - will harvest ever get here? I really didn't foresee an outdoor grow taking so long! I mean you realize the seed company say harvest in September or October but good golly, moving plants outdoors in early-May and then providing care and stealth up to five months plus drying time - it's a looong project. Oh well, the rewards will be GREAT.

The plants seems to have stopped the vertical growth. The tops look to be right around 12 to 14 feet high. With the advent of flowering the added weight is drawing the branches down. This week I plan to add a few more t-posts along the front of the row and stretch more pieces of twine to support their weight.

Now for the pics:

Four Ladies

2012-08-12_005.JPG

Shot from the Left Side - That's a 6' wide walkway to the raspberry bushes, starting to get tight!

2012-08-12_006.JPG

Shot from the Right Side

2012-08-12_007.JPG

Trying to get some flowering pics - I need to work on the technique.

2012-08-12_008.JPG

2012-08-12_009.JPG

2012-08-12_010.JPG

I've been researching how I'm going to manicure and dry all this bud. I do have a small 6x8 shed in this garden that I can set up some lines but this may not be big enough. I have another 10x14 shed up near my home but this gets too much traffic.

Making plans for after this grow I've been playing around with building a large cabinet for use in my basement. The cabinet will be 6' wide, 2' deep and 6' high. I'm contemplating getting this built soon then adding a carbon filter system to keep smell down. The cabinet will be insulated with 2" rigid foam. Perhaps this can start its life as as drying cabinet?

I would love to hear some suggestions from all of you about selecting the filter system. The fan must be ultra quiet when the insulated doors are locked. I suspect it will be a 6" line and will need a good speed controller that doesn't hum. I will spend whatever is necessary.

Thanks to everyone. Hope you enjoy the update.

the pictures look amazing mate, starting to flower now as well, your going to need some good support form them buds but sounds like you got it sorted, do you have any plants for if it rains, or is it going to be a case of shaking each plant till the waters off them, id hate for you to end up with bud rot mate, the rain can cause this with big outdoor plants, your going to be so busy harvesting all that mate, id have to get people in, to much trimming for one person, takes me a couple of hours to do a small plant so i can only imagine how long its going to take to do all that you got,
but if i could do it then id do a grow like yours, but for now i got to stick with the indoor grows,

Back
Top Bottom