Jon's Dedicated Fruity Pebble Cookies Grow Plus The Mystery Plant

Fun Change in the Garden

Since the plants got big this gauge has been sitting on the bar in the corner smack up against the side of the tent. We just proved that will give inaccurate humidity readings with the repositioning of Titan's gauge, so it was time to move this one. What I really want to know is the RH in the guts of the canopy where the action is at. This is what I came up with. And no those are not the real RH numbers, if they were these plants would not look like this, lol. You can put your head in and feel it's way drier than that. Those are what you get when you put the gauge against the side of the tent where it's obviously way moister than the air. I expect this change will begin to show me real numbers in an hour or so.

Gauge on a stick anyone? How about a CornGauge on a stick at the county weed fair? Lol.

gauge on a sick.jpg

More Damn Infrastructure Work

Titan is one spoiled girl, I'll tell you that. She must think she's Molly, the only girl I intentionally spoil. This afternoon I made a few more changes in Titan's house.

- turned AC unit up to high setting
- eliminated cardboard box holding up little fan (that was rookie I know better than that)
- doubled the number of fans in the pot blowing directly up from underneath
- added a nice, solid, metal trashcan (clean, duh) to hold up the longer fan in the back way closer to plant
- relocated and raised the fan held up by the brick pile so it was closer to the plant

She should get even more moving air now to where she needs it. I think at this point we're all good although I still have my eye out should I need an upper fan blowing down/across the buds later in flower when they get dense.

I take this bud rot thing rather seriously. I HATE it. Moving air and effective defol are the keys to mitigating it.

So here's the new fan setup from far and close. Note the trash can back left holding up the longer fan, and the fact that every fan in play is now significantly closer to the plant, thus generating more upwards air pressure.

Here's a backlit cola shot taken while the plant was out of the tent that kind of shows us for the first time what is going to happen here, ie, the actual buds themselves are beginning to take form.

This is a shot of the Zkittlez taken one hour after the last picture (right after watering) to show how incredibly quickly this girl bounces back from the watering droop.

And this last one is an accidental selfie. I don't usually post selfies but this one's okay. It shows my rather Schwarzenegger-esque forearm pretty well. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Saturdays are fun. I'll leave you guys with something to think about as this is vexing me today. So we have square or rectangular tents and square or rectangular lights to go in them. That gives us the best light fields the industry can offer at the moment. But.....

What if my 3x3 was round instead of square? And what if the 420h was also round instead of square? Anyone think that might produce an even more consistent light field across the canopy than current technology?

Heh.
I wonder if the tent being rectangular bounces the light better. More angles and such. I think if you used a round large basin like a horse trough if you couldn’t do something quite magical. It wouldn’t be hard to fashion some sort of snowflake shape light if imagine. Interesting to ponder none the less.

I wonder if the tent being rectangular bounces the light better. More angles and such. I think if you used a round large basin like a horse trough if you couldn’t do something quite magical. It wouldn’t be hard to fashion some sort of snowflake shape light if imagine. Interesting to ponder none the less.
Yup I wonder that too. My thinking was that the only reason the light field is like a square pyramid is due to the shape of the light. The light naturally forms a circle on the ground, not a square. So maybe a round light would result in better and more even light dispersion that would extend that round spot companies like to show in the middle of the squares of a par chart. Then all we'd need is a round tent and it might be better? I'm sure the light makers have considered this, so I would assume they've already ruled it out since it would be so easy to do otherwise.

Yup I wonder that too. My thinking was that the only reason the light field is like a square pyramid is due to the shape of the light. The light naturally forms a circle on the ground, not a square. So maybe a round light would result in better and more even light dispersion that would extend that round spot companies like to show in the middle of the squares of a par chart. Then all we'd need is a round tent and it might be better? I'm sure the light makers have considered this, so I would assume they've already ruled it out since it would be so easy to do otherwise.
So now I’m thinking a silo shape thing with a dome on top like a greenhouse.

So now I’m thinking a silo shape thing with a dome on top like a greenhouse.
That's where I went next too! Or maybe even still a square but with the dome. That might further focus the light in a square. I'm looking for superior edge and corner coverage obviously. A reflective pyramidish thing on top but square on top might do it and help with all the lens focusing work that's constantly getting tinkered with it seems.

Do you guys remember those round rotating grow boxes? Seen em both ways with the light in the middle, and the plants in the middle. Bunch of us tried growing SOG in these things and it wasn't worth the effort, fun idea though.

This is the only pic i could find, the ones i remember were deeper and typically sat vertical. They used to advertise em in the back of high times and such.
__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__treehugger__images__2017__07__ogarden-fu...png

Had a friend who rigged up a light mover to a half circle track so his lights would 'rise and set like the sun'. haha that was a fun experiment.

Do you guys remember those round rotating grow boxes? Seen em both ways with the light in the middle, and the plants in the middle. Bunch of us tried growing SOG in these things and it wasn't worth the effort, fun idea though.

This is the only pic i could find, the ones i remember were deeper and typically sat vertical. They used to advertise em in the back of high times and such.
__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__treehugger__images__2017__07__ogarden-fu...png

Had a friend who rigged up a light mover to a half circle track so his lights would 'rise and set like the sun'. haha that was a fun experiment.
Ha! You're talking old school. This reminds me of one of those old Phototrons turned on its' side. I didn't grow back then, but now that I do I can't imagine yielding more than an ounce from one of those dumb things. Lmao.

Time for a New Toy

Ok, so I'm officially out of fans, every one I have is already in play. For those keeping score, that's:
1 in the outdoor rig
5 in the 5x5
5 in the 3x3

And since it's been a couple hours since I relocated the gauge in the big tent to test the canopy RH, I checked it out. These, I have to admit, are the real readings.

Well, that's fine for the moment. But not for long. You don't really think I wasn't going to provide air circulating on top of the canopy did you? Just because the oscillator is underneath now? Oh lord no. So I went ahead a got myself a new toy.

The picture shows a fan I paid way too much for, it better be good. Five speeds, five blades, plenty of height the way I set up to clear the canopy, 85 degree oscillation, 25 degree tilt, runs on an actual power cord, and comes with a remote control. All that is great, but really what wins is the fact that the head on this fan will not be nearly as top heavy as the big boy is. It will be way safer, and way smaller up top. Should work great, but you know how it is with fans.....

Anyway, once I install that (tomorrow, overnight delivery) and have a ton of air moving through the canopy from the top, that RH number you see in the picture will undoubtedly come down. If it's still not enough our next step is to pull the trigger on the big dehumidifier I've been holding off on. There is no scenario where this tent gets anything less than what I believe it needs, and that would be moving air and RH in the 40s and 30s during flower. I'll know tomorrow if the dehumidifier is necessary. Wasn't with the last tent grow and those buds were WAY more crammed together than these will be. That said, this tent is much more the jungle, so I'm sort of expecting to have to spend more coin on the grow. Spending money is not my idea of labor of love. It just facilitates the damn love. Stupid money, thinks it's so big.... :rofl:

I gotta say though, DAMN that tent looks sweet. We gotta raise the Jack a little too I can see in the tent picture. It's not as low as she looks from the camera angle, but she's definitely lower than where the others have stretched to.

Damn, I thought once we hit flower we'd pretty much be on cruise control like usual. Not this damn grow. It's determined to keep me on my toes. I really hope I like both these strains. Three plants basically make up most of the yield from this grow, and they represent two unknown (to me) strains, the Fruity Pebble Cookies (well, nobody has a reference point on this yet) and the Watermelon WeddingCake. Based on the parents in both cases I have a feeling I'm going to be very happy.

Show's about to begin. Everyone has budlets now. Tomorrow we engage flowering spectrum and power.

From the You Get What You Pay For Files

I paid all of $89 for this 3x3. It was the very cheapest one I could find since I knew it was only an auto tent and didn't worry about if it would easily rip, tear or puncture. If I got one grow from it I was going to be happy. We brought the Apple Blossom photo home in it sweetly, but I had covered these leaks for that plant. CHEAP ASS CRAP. Lmao. Oh well, this will be two sweet grows in it back to back and it'll last as an auto tent indefinitely. Just no more photos in it. Too small for them anyway to get any appreciable yield. Only a 6 foot tall tent.

rips and holes and light leaks.jpg

I paid all of $89 for this 3x3. It was the very cheapest one I could find since I knew it was only an auto tent and didn't worry about if it would easily rip, tear or puncture. If I got one grow from it I was going to be happy. We brought the Apple Blossom photo home in it sweetly, but I had covered these leaks for that plant. CHEAP ASS CRAP. Lmao. Oh well, this will be two sweet grows in it back to back and it'll last as an auto tent indefinitely. Just no more photos in it. Too small for them anyway to get any appreciable yield. Only a 6 foot tall tent.

Bummer.
Duct tape?

Bummer.
Duct tape?
Nah. Just a dumb auto tent, no need. Those are the only compromises. I will duct tape them up if that's what you mean, but not due to concerns about light, just cuz.

Fun with Zkittlez!

I went out to check on the Zkittlez auto as it was getting towards dusk and see how much of her pot she drained today. In the outdoor climate, even not being in the sun, this pot tends to dry out and need watering daily. It's certainly not the plant drinking a gallon+ a day, not this girl. Stem is way too small for that, lol. It's got to be the constant wind during the day and the heat compared to being in a tent (her daytime temp is around 85 ish most days, sometimes higher), along with the naturally lower humidity this time of year. If it's not daily it's never more than two days between waterings. It's also only a three gallon fabric pot so it naturally dries out quicker. Indeed, I had to move her out of the rig and she is almost as light as a feather already after being watered at 6 am this morning.

Anyway, I also noticed she had a rather extreme prayer angle going on. Way beyond 45 degrees. This is a sign to me of a plant asking for more light. I understand 45 degrees to be the "target" prayer angle and that's what I've always used as my reference point. This exceeds that a good bit. You can see what I mean here:

That was before the raise and pause. I decided to move the plant closer to the light, and raised her about four inches, maybe a bit more, using a solid plastic container on top of the cooler in place of the smaller holed white tray she was on. This picture shows the change:

Then I measured the par at that level with the Phototone app on the Red/Blue setting (used for blurples). Each of those eight colas is now getting hit with around 1650 ppfd. YES, I said 1650. It's incredibly high. However, we do have a theory and a reference point to justify this seemingly crazy action.

The Theory: Very simply, my theory is that plants respond differently to red/blue/white blurple light than they do to full spectrum, modern LED light. For whatever reason I believe under a blurple they can take higher ppfd numbers. I wouldn't dream of being this high on ppfd with my LEDs, they'd burn the plants up in a day. But I believe these guys will be okay here. This is due to my anecdotal evidence once again, which is,
The Reference Point: In my first ever grow I used two of these blurples in a 5 x 5 and grew six photos (Pineapple Upside Down Cake bag seed from a dispensary eighth of that strain (not the Humboldt Seed Co. version, a different company and hybrid of the same name) in 8 gallon, large plastic pots. I knew nothing. But I ended up with some surprisingly good weed that was beautiful and stinky and strong and tasty. Just not a lot of it, lol. 10.5 ounces to be exact. Lmao. Those plants in flower grew to within about 8 inches from the light and started to burn at that point. I ended up having to tie several down to save them as the blurples were maxed on height at that point. But they did NOT burn at all before 8 inches. So that's my reference point.

So we'll see what happens, and we'll know soon enough. However, I waited a while and came back not long ago and took a picture of them at the new level, and already the prayer angle has changed to almost exactly what I believe it should be. You can see it here:

If they stay like this and don't burn we will be fine and set a new personal record for highest ppfd numbers ever used. Lmao. We still have a couple inches for them to get taller. Obviously this will be closely monitored.

I will now apologize for those three blurple pics I just subjected you guys to, especially after promising you I wouldn't. Oops. Didn't think I'd be taking any evening pics. My sincere apologies. To try and make up for it, I took this picture of the plant from above while she was out of the rig. She is lit by the same blurple in this picture, obviously less so, and then I used almost every filtering and altering tool in the iPhone arsenal to try and create something cool for you. Here's what I came up with. I hope this helps rinse the taste of blurple pictures out of your mouth. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

EXCELLENT Learning Opportunity
Your Plant's Relationship with PPFD Level
Zkittlez Auto Test Subject

If anyone saw, last night I raised the Zkittlez auto up closer to the light. I pushed it really hard. Where she was relocated to she was getting blasted with 1650 ppfd. I said I was going to monitor her very closely because this is WAY high, and I had my doubts as to whether or not our girl could take it. My hope was the under a blurple and in the outdoor environment she might be able to adjust to that level. It didn't take long to see that she can't. She was definitely beginning, in just about 18 hours, to revolt against what I did and scream at me to lower her some. This is what I want to show you guys this morning, and there may be some for whom this is not yet Pot 101, hopefully.

So we already knew before we moved her up that a basic understanding (to me at least) is that without the benefit of an adequate CO2 system you can't really hit the plants with more than say 1500 par or they will burn. You guys can argue with me all day about that if you like, it's just my understanding. I've proven it several times, including this post, which displays it very clearly I think. The highest I have ever pushed a plant to completion was around 1350 on the Jelly Rancher a few grows back. The amount of light a plant can take is highly strain specific I have found. She took a TON and loved it. But most cannot take continued light assault at that level, at least the strains I have grown indoors.

The things we were monitoring for were signs of too much light, specifically the early signs. Things like this:
- leaves curling (taco-ing)
- lower leaf tips taking a dive down
- browning pistils
- greatly reduced or poor prayer angle

Those precede what comes later, which is way way worse, things like these:
- bleached out tops
- weird red spotting on leaves
- leaves turning brown and burning off on the vine
- compromised transpiration/respiration/growth

All of these tell you to lower the amount of light the plant is getting hit with. My Chunkadelic a few grows back was a good example of me ignoring the signs. I burned off all the fans and many of the sugars and she suffered as a result mightily.

So back to our Zkittlez. When I opened her up this morning, she should have been, if she had been okay with the light, praying at a 45 degree angle and looking sweet and solid. This was definitively not the case. Here's a picture showing the poor prayer angle that was everywhere:

That was pretty obvious and hard to miss. Also pretty obvious was the fact that in only 18 hours at the new light level her leaves were beginning to curl/taco. You can see the curling as well as the prayer angle in this picture:

But that wasn't all. She also had the beginning signs of her lower leaf tips taking a dive towards the ground, which you can see here:

Here's the rub about these leaf signs that are easy to see - the pistils do not respond the same way. Nope, your pistils are dumb. They only know one thing, to reach for light. They are going to do that regardless of the light level, and shortly if it's too high they will begin to brown and curl on the ends. It's almost as if they would rather die than lay down in an attempt to shield themselves from the light as the leaves do. All these leaf signs are exactly that - the plant attempting to defend itself by shying away from the light and reducing the available surface area the light lands on. This picture shows you both the bad leaf signs and the fact that the pistils don't care:

So hopefully as you can see, we had to move her back down into lesser ppfd levels, and we immediately put her back to the level she was at with just about a two inch rise from the original position vs. the 8 inch rise she got from the plastic container I used yesterday. I used a 7 gallon geopot with spent soil in it as the base, which gets the added benefit of catching the organic runoff from this plant and will hopefully help revitalize that spent soil a little bit. Here's the new base, nice and solid.

This concludes our hopefully helpful to someone learning op for Sunday. Thanks for tuning in.

EXCELLENT Learning Opportunity
Part 2

The other day you may recall we also cranked the NextLight 420h up to 100%, greatly increasing ppfd levels for TItan. She's all the way in the low 1300s. Here's a picture of Titan this morning proving that she has no issues whatsoever and is loving it. I thought this picture would help support the previous post.

I'd paint that area with GE Silicone. It'll end up rubberized. Or not :p I know you don't want to get to into it.

I'd paint that area with GE Silicone. It'll end up rubberized. Or not :p I know you don't want to get to into it.
Lol. I don't, but that's a damn good and damn easy idea Otter. That's a winner. I was not down with the usual fix it with duct tape crap, I hate that. That's why I get Gorillas. Thanks man, I would never have thought of this.

I used a 7 gallon geopot with spent soil in it as the base, which gets the added benefit of catching the organic runoff from this plant and will hopefully help revitalize that spent soil a little bit.
And add an expansion zone for the roots? I would imagine they would start populating that area given the chance.

Would also prove or disprove the concept of lack of root growth after stretch.

Lol. I don't, but that's a damn good and damn easy idea Otter. That's a winner. I was not down with the usual fix it with duct tape crap, I hate that. That's why I get Gorillas. Thanks man, I would never have thought of this.
I'd hope Red Green would be proud of me for upping the duct tape game a little. I heard he retired to Florida. He may be a neighbor!

Back
Top Bottom