Kali Mist CFL Scrog Grow Journal - 05-19-13

Kali Mist Veg - Day 39 - 06/26/13

IMG_49001.JPG
IMG_49021.JPG
IMG_49061.JPG

IMG_48982.JPG
IMG_49221.JPG

Well I feel like I'm starting to make a lot of mistakes lately... First I broke a branch in the back half way through while tucking it under the screen, Thankfully shes healed up very nicely. Secondly one of the branches has started to show purple on it, not sure what this means, maybe a phosphorus deficiency? The odor coming off the plant is so strong in my bedroom now even without flowers, a carbon scrubber running, and a huge honeywell air purifier with a hepa filter and carbon filter.. Kinda scared shes going to put off a strong smell when she finally officially goes into flower. Lastly shes growing too fast. A lot of the branches grew 4-6" in a single night! I will definitely run out of space height wise when its time to stop tucking unless shes slows her roll.

IMG_49473.JPG

its only that 1 single branch thats purple

Sorry, took a bit longer than I expected gadfly, I've heard amazing things about those ona gels but I'm sorta paranoid about breathing in those chemicals and smoking any particles that might get onto my plant. I kinda wanna keep the bud smelling natural once its finally cured as well. I'm not sure if this would work or not but I was thinking about putting that second inline fan I have left over inside the cabinet with a scrubber attached so that its scrubbing the air inside the cabinet and exhausting inside as well. hope I have room to do it and that it works. problem is its so damn weak lol and ya the vendor really didn't say much about the strain at all. not too many journals out there as a reference either. I think your right that it could be cold air or nutes, had the AC cranked all day and night yesterday, I fertilized that day as well.

The purple looks normal to me. I hear ya on the gel, it is a little creepy to think about. It doesn't need to be in your grow room. I don't care for the stuff personally, but when I had to use it I kept one in the hallway, one near my front door, and so on. I didn't care if my grow room smelled like pot, I just didn't want my family and friends to notice in the living room. As for the scrog, it's like being a teenager all over again; you keep pulling and tucking until you cant.

[video=youtube;b8yjBTZrFYU]
[/video]
I think this dude is the same Icemud here. He has some journals worth looking at either way.

Hi gadfly and John Thanks for sharing Icemud's video and Journal. He has some fantastic material, WizHigh and His journal was actually the first I ever read on 420 forums :) He sure does make it look easy lol, Really look up to those guys. I'm always comparing my grow to his and wondering why mine doesn't come out the same way lol I tried my very best to tuck the fast growing tops under and be as careful as possible, snapped two branches clean off :thedoubletake: so I rushed to get them in some rooting gel and clone them. I kinda made a huge mess of things yesterday trying to sort out all the tops and get an even canopy, Oh well live and learn. I'm reevaluating everything I did to find out where I went wrong. My scrog screen is only 10" wide and I feel that's part of the problem. The other problem may be that 2 plants under the screen could be too much, the branches from both plants are invading each others space, I don't know where to put them so I pulled them all out from under the screen to try and re-situate everything, that ended up causing more problems. I think my screen may be too low as well but due to limited height I think I have to leave it at 8". Going forward maybe I should flip to flower earlier. I defoliated one plant to try and make it easier to work on the screen, she looks pissed off lol. Hope I can figure this out soon. Lights off in 2 minutes will have to work on her some more in the morning.

I put in a second scrubber yesterday, that pulls and exhausts into the cabinet. its helping so far but I'm pretty certain as the odor picks up, its going to start creepin back. I'll most likely order some ona gels just in case as a last resort.

Here's the damage I caused yesterday

Busted this top clean off I don't think I could of gotten her under the screen no matter how hard I tried, was interesting to see 3 tops from a clean cut no FIM.

IMG_49792.JPG

This branch is about 1 1/2 ft - 2 ft. It was never topped, there's a few other branches about equal length.

IMG_49653.JPG

Tied down these branches, gonna have to turn them around in the opposite direction or something soon.

IMG_49861.JPG

These last 2 photos show where both plants branches are diverging in the middle creating a huge mess and smothering the tops. Its hard to see from the photo but there's about 10-15 Full grown tops in the middle. It's incredibly cramped, I couldn't figure out where to put them and was hoping they would stretch a lot in the night to give them more space soon.

IMG_49872.JPG
IMG_49884.JPG

At this point I'm just hoping to see flowers asap so I can hopefully stop tucking and let them grow vertically. Want to get started on my next scrog asap so I can do this right. Hopefully I'll have an HPS by then

stretch has pretty much halted but I assume this is due to stress rather than genetics. both plants are consuming 3-4 qt's of water every 2 days now.

I re-read a few kali mist journals, 1 person noted that after 1 1/2 - 2 months of veg without topping or lst the plant was 14" tall. After about 40 days the plant was 7 ft tall and outgrew his space so he chopped them down and started over.

Another scrog journal of Kali with 2 300w LED's didn't really specify screen height or the total Cola height above the screen once finished, but it appeared some branches went well over a foot.

As a last resort I may have to scrap this scrog if I run out of room currently I have 11" from screen to bulb. Seems like I picked a hell of a plant to grow out from start to finish as a first timer.

I do have some good news though. A Kali clone I put into immediate flower after rooting with major LST is about 2-3 weeks in and first signs of buds appeared. It has 17 branches and total height above soil is 1/2 - 2" :)

Checked on the plants this morning they look healthy again the smothered tops have recovered, managed to space out the main branches by circling them back towards the center and tying them to the screen.

Growth has picked up again, seeing a lot of new tops popping up and it appears she's directing a lot more energy into side branching. I noticed I might not have enough holes in the screen for all the new tops showing up, hope I'm wrong. Other than that Everything looks good.

I'm starting to see pistols and decided to check my cabinet for light leaks, good thing I did cause I found a small red led on the power strip and stuck electrical tape over it other than that its solid. I started on flowering nutes 2-6-7 hope this slows down the vegging.

I guess pistols and buds would make this day 1 of flowering, 88 days to go! Will post 1 or 2 pic later (nothing exciting going on) Think I'm going over board with the pics but its sorta for me too fall back on in the future. Don't need pictures on my phone or pc and delete them all after. We'll see what I decide.

The first signs of flowers appeared 3 days ago 07-02-13. I flushed out the soil to remove excessive nitrogen in hopes this would slow down the stretching. 2 of my biggest tops snapped while tucking them this morning, I handled them carefully. I decided to stop tucking after today, majority of the tops are 0-2" above the screen.

Kali Mist Veg - Day 44 - 07/01/13

IMG_50312.JPG

Kali Mist Veg -Flower Day 2 ....... Total Days 46 - 07/03/13

IMG_50613.JPG
IMG_50571.JPG

Hey Mr B. I enjoyed reading your journal :goodjob:

You seem to have addressed everything well, including the abundant supply of Nitrogen that was helping the stretch.

I don't sub, but Hydrogen sends me to all the best places.

Thanks for the Ring o' Bud pic :high-five:

I'll be back :)

Thank you for the kind words everyone

Hi hodder, great to see you here, thank you for dropping in. Spimp introduced me to your journal and I really enjoyed reading it. Your photos were next level. :) can't wait to see your next scrog. I'll be there :)

Thank you Alex :) my next one will have to be 2-4 ft taller so I can stick an hps in there. Will use the current t one as a veg room in my attempt at trying to do a perpetual grow one day. I really like your setup too Alex particular that ballast you made, props.

@ Rico, glad you enjoyed the pic bud, gonna start combing through your journal later today. Excited to read it.

I wanted to share an exciting tidbit of information with everyone. I snapped 2 tops yesterday, 1 of which appears to be my biggest on the far left of the screen. I panicked and quickly reacted, a million thoughts ran through my head and for some reason I ran to the bathroom grabbed a Q tip, soaked it under water then proceeded to dump sugar all over it. I then ran back to the room where some of the leaves on the top had already wilted. I grabbed a twist tie bent the branch back onto itself where it snapped aboout 90% through, I mean this sucker was hanging by a thread of skin lol. I then took the Q tip caked with sugar water and gently wiped it on the wound. The top had completely wilted down and I thought for sure it was a gonner. When I checked the top this morning it completely recovered 100% and sprung right back up to its natural position!:thedoubletake::yahoo: I was extremely surprised to see this and wanted to share this with everyone. No bandages or tape was used. On a side note I think this morning has been the most exciting highlight of my entire marijuana growing experience so far.

I believe the sugar acted as a natural seal for the wound and after it dried was like a hardened bandage that allowed the plant to recover. I don't know if it was the sugar or if cannabis plants are just built like a cocroach and don't want to die lol. I hope someone out there finds this info useful in case an accident ever happens.

I decided to go ahead and defoliate the girls today. I'm only going to take leaves blocking light to tops and cramped areas in and around the screen area. Will post a picture before the defoliation, then another once I finish. Wish me luck.
Also I circled the branch I used sugar on and where it broke at.

Kali Mist Veg -Flower Day 5 ....... Total Days 49 - 07/06/13

IMG_51024.JPG
IMG_51031.JPG
IMG_51061.JPG

Back
Top Bottom