Kassquatch's First Time Indoor Early Miss Auto On The Cheap!

Kassquatch

Decided to start another seed and decided I wanted to try an indoor grow but on the EXTREMELY cheap side. Everything I have used so far other than soil, bulbs and a fan I have had lying around the house/garage. So far the most expensive thing I have bought was the stupid little fan at $15. Will go into price breakdown further down. This is a very redneck build. But that's how I roll.

Starting details:
Seed: Crop Kings auto-flowering feminized Early Miss
Date started: June 09 2018 (seed went in cup of water)
Starting seed method: cup of room temp water for 15 hours/wet paper towel method
Bucket size once seeded: 4gal? (Not sure)
Medium: Scott Miracle-Gro Nature's Care Organic & Natural Potting Mix

Build cost breakdown for grow box: Overall size 2' x 2' x 3' (approx)
Base - 2' x 2' x 1/2" Plywood - Had scrap lying around - Free (normally $10)
Walls - Bright White Coroplast 4' x 8' sheet - had lying around - Free (Normally $25)
Frame - Old PVC piping from a old laundry basket from the 90's - Free (dunno normal price)
Duct tape - Had - Free (Normally $5.00)
Black paint - Had - (Normally $40/gal)
2 Light sockets - Had - (Normally $2 ea)
1 plug in wire - Cut from old electronic that I had - Free (Normally ??)
Vent PVC parts - Had from old vacuum installation - Free (Normally ??)
1 small Fan - $15 Walmart
1 - 28w LED full spectrum grow light from Amazon - $12.99
1 - 10w CFL light - Had - Free (Normally $4 ea)

I paid $28 for the 'tent' in the end.

Other items
Seed
Pot
Soil
pH Tester

Pictures are of build in first post, Journal will come next.

I am hoping that the lights will be enough. I have no idea. I tried to research but everyone says different things. It's just 1 plant.

I tried to make it as light blocking as possible both inside and out. Mostly all things have overlaps or multiple angles to block light. The only thing that doesn't really is the fan hole at the bottom. I may do something to fix that later but with auto's I dont think I really need to. Will really only be growing auto's in here because of the size.

Day 1: June 9th 2018

• Put the seed in a glass of water at 6:00pm. Forgot to take a picture. I will call this one....lily. (others were layla, lolo, lola)

Day 2: June 10th 2018

• Morning Report: Took the seed out of the water and put it in the paper towel at 10:45am.
  • Evening Report: Yup, its still there. Pictures are of....a seed.

Thanks! I never throw anything away and my wife hates it. lol. But you just never know! I did have an old fan also, but I wanted a smaller one. 6" was too big, and wanted a 4"

Day 3: June 11th 2018

• Morning Report: Still an uncracked seed.
  • Evening Report: We have progress! She's cracked open and has a taproot coming! If my light shows up from amazon tomorrow I may put Lily in her new home. Picture taken at 8:30pm

Day 4: June 12th 2018

• Morning Report: Growing well, keeping paper towel moist. First picture taken at Noon.
  • Evening Report: A have a sperm seed. My light didn't come today so tomorrow I will plant no matter what. Last picture taken at 9:00pm

Day 5: June 13th 2018

• Morning Report: She grew a huge root overnight. My light never showed up yesterday but I decided to plant her this morning and just use the CFL for now and hope it arrives today. Forgot to take depth pictures and seed but didn't want to dig her up. First 2 pictures taken at 9:30am
  • Evening Report: Well the light never showed up! But I got a $5 refund on the light for being late! Go amazon. I set the timer on 18/6 as shown in the picture. Grabbing a humidity meter / thermometer tomorrow. Last 2 pictures taken at 9:00pm

I am trying to set up my camera in the box to do timelapse of it because I am weird like that. So that may be coming.

Day 6: June 14th 2018

• Morning Report: Still a seed in soil. Decided I need more wattage in my lights from reading stuff on here so I built a new light fixture and put in another CFL. Right now its 80w of CFL with my LED still coming in the mail. First 2 pictures taken at 10:30am
  • Evening Report: Also got a temp/humidity meter as shown in the pictures. Daytime it averaged around 25C and averaged around 40% RH. Last 2 pictures taken at 9:00pm

Good Morning K... Looks like you have a good start going on there, and I enjoy being cheap myself... I think it is important that people who come here realize that you dont have to invest Hundreds if not Thousands of dollars to get some decent to good smoke consistently... I wouldnt say I am the most popular with the powers that be on here, Sponsors keeps the site open for us to use as a tool... Soooo YEAH SPONSORS and such... LOL...
..... I did a couple of grow threads on using a budget for a few fairly decently sized rooms to grow... Using mostly things that were available at the house... Took on the challenge to help my BIL get his perpetual grow started by getting a massive crop outdoors... It is legal where I live, and I live in the country so to speak so 12 to 14 plants outdoors is not a problem... Hoping for about 10 elbows off of those to fuel our cannabis needs for the forseeable future, until the indoor grow starts really producing... That will be in December or January before that happens.. I dont really do autos, though I am in some group auto grows right now... Green days... and to all....

Morning! Agreed with the sponsor thing, but not everyone can afford it! I have already spent more than I planned on this one. Them CFL's are expensive here. $15 a pop for a 40w (150w equiv)

I like cheap! I’m gonna follow this post, I’ll also be pulling my DIY cabinet out soon for my Sour jack,Supersilver Haze & Blue cookies that I’ll be starting by the end of next week!

Nice! After this grow finishes, I may look into building a better bigger one (still on the cheap) as I think this one may be too small even for autos.

Day 7: June 15th 2018

• Morning Report: So my light from amazon got shipped to Ontario instead of BC because....Canada Post. So I got a refund for it which is good on my price range again for the build and makes up for the CFL I just bought. I will still be getting the LED one but don't know if I should use it or not because of the height needed for it compared to CFL's or just put in another CFL. First 2 pictures taken at 9:30am
  • Evening Report: I started my camera in the box and doing a time lapse as I post this and tomorrow will have a video. She is just about to break through the dirt as those with a keen eye can see beside the arrow. It was a hot day today and so the box is a little warm so I put a bowl of ice cubes in there to try and lower it a bit and raise humidity a little bit. Dropped only 1°C and raised humidity minimally. Keeping the bowl in there for humidity. Last 2 pictures taken at 8:45pm
Todays (Day 7) daily total CFL lights: 18 hours on timer (5am-11pm) with 80w
Todays (Day 7) Average temp in box: 24°C
Todays (Day 7) Average relative humidity: ~42%

Yes :p Both. The 40w (150w equiv) is 2700k along with the 10w one. The 28w one is 6500k. I didnt really care because of the LED light that I am getting is full spectrum. But either way I have both ends covered.

Back
Top Bottom