Koren's Tiny Grow - Two Sweet Afghan Delicious plants

Koren55

Hi Folks

This is my first time trying to grow Marijuana in my garden.

Background:

During a recent trip to Barcelona Spain, I passed a legal shop. Decided to browse and saw upfront a display of Sweet Seeds. I asked the clerk for recommendations to treat Fibromyalgia/chronic pain. He grabbed three packets - not knowing anything about the current state of varieties, I chose the freshest pack, dated February, 2017. The cost? €18 for four seeds.

On May 15th we arrived back in the States.

GROW Area - we live in North Central Maryland, a rural area, 10 miles from Pennsylvania border. We're Eastern Time zone, currently under Daylight Savings Time.

Soil - our soil here is lots of clay and rocks leftover from ice age glaciers. We live on top of our ridge, altitude is approximately 850 feet above sea level. I don't want to be exact lest some men in black give me a visit.

Over the years we've added fallen leaves to our soil and rototilled it in. Every spring we add more. This has enriched the top layer, but it's still heavy clay 6 inches down.

The area I planned on planting is in the middle of my vegetable garden. It cannot be seen from the road and is protected from view by any passersby. in our backyard we installed a stockade fence, 6 feet in height. This fence, and my dogs, keep deer and rabbits away. The only critters we get are chipmunks, which my dogs chase and hunt.

If you need to know more, ask. I'll answer if I can.

GROW Journal -

May 20th, I planted one seed on my sun porch in Miracle Gro potting mix.

May 23rd - To my surprise, three days later I had a small plant with its cotyledon leaves two inches above the surface.

That week I found seeds I had purchased in Spring 2014. I had 8 seeds (we tried two that first year, they didn't sprout). I took them and for four I tried the shot glass method to get them to sprout. Nothing happened in three days, so I planted all 8 in a seedling flat. A week later, nothing - were bad seeds to begin with I guess. We had bought them at a Flea Market vendor in Amsterdam; they were only about 5 bucks.

May 27th - transplanted the small seedling into a three inch pot, then kept it outside during daylight, and moved inside at night. It got it's first set of true leaves, then its second.

June 4th - after keeping the plant outside at night for a week, I carefully removed the plant from its pot, and then planted it directly in the middle of my garden. I placed a small fence around it (to keep the dog away), stuck a bamboo pole near it, and also put in a bottle irrigator next to it. The irrigator will ensure the roots get water during dry spells. I also put some slow release fertilizer into the soil around the plant.

The same day I planted another seed in a starter pot.

June 7th - the second seed germinated, plant rose above the soil by about 2 inches.

June 11th - After its first true leaves appeared, I transplanted it into a 3 inch pot. This time I deliberately planted it deeper - I had read you could do this (i plant tomatoes that way), and I wanted to see if it would develop a more robust root system.

June 18th - planted second seedling directly into my garden. Added small fence, bamboo pole, and bottle irrigator. However, no fertilizer for this one.

I name most of my plants, and yes I talk to them too. I have a Botany degree from a local college, and learned that you got to love your plants.

Anyway, during this past week "Mary" (plant #1) continues to add additional leaves. It stem is increasing in diameter too. The second plant "Jane" has a added leaves too. Both have withstood heavy downpours too. I'll continue to monitor each plant to ensure growth is good, and I'll weed around their bases too.

I'll post two photos of my tiny grow taken today. And I'll add to this journal every week or two.

Koren55

It's now July 5th. Both plants are doing exceptionally well.
The first plant, Mary, is over a foot in height. The diameter of the stem is approximately 3/4 of an inch at the base. There are now at least seven or eight levels of leaves with the lower levels all developing side buds and leaves.

I'm not sure if I should prune these side shoots out or not, what do the experts say?

If these were tomato plants, such as sweepstakes, I'd nip out all side buds, only keeping the main leader. But I don't know enough. So please, what should I do to develop the best, heaviest crop possible?

Should I nip off all the side shoots, just keeping the main shoot? I guess I could try to root the cut side shoots with rooting hormone, and create more plants. But how many plants is too many?

After the past two days of rain, both plants are beginning to skyrocket in their growth.

When I examined Mary this morning, I noticed evidence of a foreign invaded in her lower regions. One leaf was a bit chewed, missing scalloped chunks - sure sign of some sort of caterpillar.

I finally spotted a curled over leaf, and nipped it foreclose to the main stAlk. Bringing it over to my patio table, I closely examined it. Sure enough, hidden inside the curled leaf was a tiny green caterpillar. And when it saw this huge human eye scanning it, it moved rapidly deeper within the confines of said leaf. Well, no one interferes with one of my girls, no one's allowed to munch on her wholesale goodness, not without ramifications. I carefully placed the leaf on my cement patio and performed my non-poisonous method of insect control. My boot came down a created a green smear upon the gray cement. Ah, what a delightful sweet fragrance too - and this was a Small leaflet!

I went back to Mary and carefully examined each lower leaf, one by one, as I methodically rose leaf level to leaf level. I only spotted one small interloper, a small spider, carefully tending her egg sack, again in the confines of the underside of a curled leaflet.

Now Spiders are normally good in the garden, but this one I didn't recognize, nor did I like the thought of a hundred baby spiders staking claim to Mary's leaves. I separated the leaflet and gave it the boot.

When I was done with Mary, I went over Jane, her sister, two weeks younger. Again I carefully examined each and every leaf. Not one invader on Jane!

On both plants I noticed extensive growth of secondary shoots. And some were already over six inches in length. I mentioned a few days ago on whether or not I should trim these, top them, or tie them. Well once I saw these extensive shoots, the time was neigh. Well for the elder sister at least. I choose to tie her top down, to weigh it over with a tie and rocks. I used a malleable tie and curled it two nodes below the top bud. After this I saw a few of the lower secondary shoots were on the underside. I nipped them, all for of the lowest.

Those shoots I carefully trimmed according to cloning directions. Then dipped them in my .30 % rooting hormone, and then into peat pots. The trick they say is to leave enough stem and remove most leaves to prevent dehydration, while leaving one or two nodes to root and produce a new terminal bud.

In a few days I'll check for roots, if present they'll all go into the main garden.

The other plant is now over a foot tall too, but I want it a bit higher before I tie it over. I think for me, and the fact these plants are nonautoflowering, fast versions, that this will be the best method.

Harvest date, according to this seed's specs is supposed to be early September. That means with shorter days now, these plants will grow fast and quickly mature into their budding/flowering stages.

Should be interesting. Especially since I have to harvest Sept 5th. They'd better be ready. If not, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Plants are really taking off now. Still in vegetative stage though. Secondary shoots on the one I tried over have shot up and now present an even layer.

This is it before tying over:

IMG_20170703_074225752.jpg

After tying:
IMG_20170711_201134994.jpg

You can see how the secondary shoots have grown up above. Since its still in vegetative stage, I'll keep trying it down, letting it grow out and giving it good ventilation.

Here's the second plant, Jane, planted June 4th. Seeds were up on third day. This is her from two weeks ago.
IMG_20170623_085238790.jpg

Second plant at 35 days.
IMG_20170711_201107597.jpg

As you can see they're both doing well.

Two days ago I notice some fine spots on lower leaves. When I looked closely I saw what appeared to be a few red spider mites. They're common in my area.

I checked my cabinet and found a combo insecticides/fungicide that would take care of them. Oh, it's totally organic, I don't do chemicals. This spray is mostly from sesame oil and another type of plant oil. It's supposed to work against white powdery mildew, another common disease in my area. I've noticed it on one of my cucumber plants near the cannabis.

I mixed up a gallon, added a squirt of Dawn. Note: dawn breaks down oils so they mix with water better. They also help adhere the solution to the leaves.

I sprayed both plants,being sure to cover both sides of each leaf and the stem, and near the roots. Then I sprayed every single plant in that veggie bed.

That was two days ago. When I checked today I didn't spot one mite. But that doesn't mean they're not there. I'll spray again next week, one week from first spray. That should knock the rest of the spider mites out.

Because powdery mildew is prevalent in my area, I'm going to have to monitor my girls carefully. I'm not sure if I should keep using the sesame oil spray to prevent it, or just trim the plants to ensure adequate ventilation.

Still, I don't think trimming Will work. I saw a lone Phlox plant at the edge of my garden - where there was ventilation, get infected on its lower leaves. So it might me better to spray as a preventive method.

What do the experienced folk think?

Koren

Hi everyone

My two plants are doing well. Growing like weeds.

Here's photos from July 24. Mary had been planted 9 weeks prior, and Jane 7 weeks prior.

The Mary plant is 63 days old in these photos. She was tied down and had terminal bud nipped. This caused the plant to become bushy. Oh, those orange petals are from marigold flowers, I sprinkle them on as a sort of camouflage.

IMG_20170724_092948017_HDR_kindlephoto-1846313.jpg

She's also beginning to go into flowering.

IMG_20170724_093032645_HDR.jpg

Here's a close up, she's from feminized seed, and yep - she's a lady. Just look at those fem-parts. So cool.
IMG_20170724_093032645_HDR_kindlephoto-1927421.jpg

Here's my second plant at seven weeks of age, 49 days since planting. She's uncut, au naturale.

As you can see, she's developed into a tall four feet, stately lady.

IMG_20170724_093207134_HDR_kindlephoto-1395904.jpg

Here's a closer view. She's completely untouched, no pruning, no tying, no nipping. I like how she's so airy.

IMG_20170724_093147705_HDR_kindlephoto-1525544.jpg

Both plants are from Sweet Seeds, the strain is called "Sweet Afghani Delicious - Fast Version"

Early on I had a problem with spider mites. I sprayed them with a Fish oil based product. Then I put a small pot of chives under each one. Chives is a natural repellent - it really works!

My sunflowers are planted nearby, they'll reach 7 to 12 feet in height. I have a fence around my rural property, but it's only six feet in height. My neighbors usually don't come near, but if someone does, I want to divert their attention. I don't want someone stealing my plants.

Well, for the past month my two plants have taken off.

Here's photos from 8/15

Mary:
IMG_20170815_072458278.jpg

And Jane:
IMG_20170815_072513411.jpg

Both are doing well. The Jane plant I had to tie the top over when it grew above 6 feet, the height of my fence. I asked for help on the forums, and tying the top down was suggested. It was a great idea.

Here's a nicely developing bud on Mary plant:

IMG_20170820_065909204.jpg

By August 24, the Mary plant's Colas were getting developed. Under a scope, all trichomes were milky, and 50% of pistils were brown.

Here are some photos:

IMG_20170824_064030495_kindlephoto-14189248.jpg

IMG_20170824_064052928.jpg

IMG_20170824_064041080.jpg

And here's the Jane plant, still flowering:
IMG_20170824_064201967_kindlephoto-61649985.jpg

On August 26 I harvested the Mary plant. I was able to get 21 stems from it. It wasn't as developed, or robust as I had hoped. But this is the plant I pruned and tied over when it was small. It grew more compact, but next time, no pruning. I think the second plant did better uncut, left to grow natural.

The second plant isn't near ready, but I might harvest the entire plant, or perhaps half on Saturday.

My problem is that we're going to be away from 9/6 to 9/23. I don't have anyone who can monitor it when I'm away. I'm afraid of it being too far developed when I get back, or even stolen. It's a dilemma I have to decide on soon. I did want this plant to mature more, to produce more of a medical marijuana. That means more cannabinoids.

Any advice?

Okay, you all know I had to travel for two and a half weeks, leaving one plant unharvested. (It just wasn't ready). The day I left I sprayed the entire plant with organic fungicides and insecticides. Then i covered it with a fine netting to prevent caterpillers.

I arrived home this past Saturday night and went to check on my plant. I discovered nice big fat beautiful Colas. But then I saw some dryed out buds, I knew it was bud rot right away.

The next morning i harvested the entire plant. I had 27 stems from this girl, a Sweet Afghani Delicious Fast version.

Where I noticed the brown buds, i immediately cut them out, and tossed out all the nearby buds. The ones that were questionable, I hung on one side of my drying room. The good on the other. We were having a heat wave, which kept that attic room hotter than usual. I thought quick drying all the buds would help.

After two/three days I began taking down the dried stems one at a time. I examined each bud, carefully prying them apart. If I found any rot, out went that bud and the surrounding ones until it was clear. I used pint jars to store the buds. The bad/questionable buds filled a gallon baggie completely. Sad, yes, but I'm hoping the good buds will survive.

The next day i did the better stems. For these I meticulously broke apart each cola into individual buds. If the entire stem was good, those buds went into one jar. If part was bad, the good buds from that stem went into a different jar. Out of 27 stems I'd say only seven were completely unaffected. From the good stems I filled a quart baggie with bad or questionable buds.

My question is - any bud with brown I tossed. Those near them i tossed. But i saw some buds that had pale parts, but otherwise no other indication of rot or mold. Are these okay to ingest?

Anyway, during curing I will carefully monitor the jars for any sign of mold. I read that if your buds turn grayish, or look discolored, to toss them. I'll do that as they cure over the next few weeks.

It's a shame this happens, but breeders need to develop more resistant strains. Many of us are growing medical marijuana for our own use. That means maturing the plants a bit longer to reap more cannabinoids and terpenes. Plus we need to be able to grow in any State. That means were going to face cool nights and high humidity, especially in the northeast and midatlantic.

Oh, and my plant was loaded with terpenes. Sheesh, what a sweet skunky odor this plant had, much more than the other girl I harvested. It was so strong I felt like the fumes were making me high. And even though I blocked the intake vent in that drying room, once I turned on the A/C those terpenes spread throughout my entire house. My God, they're in my entire HVAC System. I'm going to have to by a new furnace filter, one with lots of charcoal to combat the terpene odors. And lots of Febreze too. This plant was loaded with resin too. That's what I get for harvesting late.

And no, I haven't tested this plant yet. I can't, I have to wait for my Medical Marijuana card. I've asked my husband to try it, and to compare it to the other plant, the one harvested more timely. I expect the first plant will give him a more psychoactive buzz, while the second plant will zone him out. I can't wait until I can see how this plant affects my pain levels.

Final thoughts -

1. To fight red spider mites, buy some chive plants and put them at the base of your plants. This really helped to prevent them after I found an early infestation.

2. Use Organic Fungicides, Miticides, and Insecticides. They really work. The ones I used were mostly made from various fish oils.

3. Give your plants plenty of room to grow. And if they get too tall, try tying a string/rope near the top and bending the top part over by tying it down.

4. Look out for Bud Rot and Powdery mildew in September, when the nights begin to cool off. At first sign, do something, either harvest, if it's ready, if not, cut out the bad parts. Don't forget to sterilize your cutters with alcohol afterwards.

5. Grow naturally. One plant I pruned when young, trying the method where you get a bushier plant. My other plant I let grow natural, no pruning at all. The plant I left untouched, and uncut gave a much better harvest. Probably at least triple the amount.

6. If you want to clone your plants, do it as early in the season as possible. I waited too long, my clones were slow growing. Out of the four that took, two were put in pots and placed in my sunroom. The other two I planted outside. One of those just produced one stem with a nice fat cola, just like it would have if I left it on the mother plant. The other didn't grow more than a foot in height, and it's cola was underdeveloped.

These are the things I learned from growing cannabis for the first time. I knew enough to not have any major problems. My only setback was an already scheduled trip - Right in the middle of harvest time.

Will I try again next year? You bet I will. And I'll put into practice all those things I learned this past year.

Oh, I need to take photos of the harvest and post them. Keep a lookout for them.

Thanks to all who followed this blog.

Koren

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom