Sweet Afghani Delicious S1

Good work with the mould, quick action is important. I'm pretty sure you've disinfected the area, airflow will help also. Keep an eye on the base for any new development of spours. But you're on top of that as I can see, :thumb: Partimus

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Ah damn man, how didn't I see this update.. How's things mate? That was five days ago, how's it all looking?

Hey everyone,

sorry for the lack of updates, I have been planting trees all week in the good weather then finished a big job friday killing a whole bunch of melianthus in a creek line, very glad to see the back of that contract. :tokin:

Ok so the tent is going ok, I have backed off the watering to every other day agaain. The mold has lessened. I took a pic today, then after the pic noticed a little more mold on the affected stem so I pruned it away completley then retreated the area with vinegar. My wife reckons that a slightly diluted vodka spray might work so I gave that a go also. I will give it another few more days and if its not gone I will probably cull her to save the rest.

here is a pretty poor pic, the black line is the sunglasses rim that I use to get a non lined photo. the area did seem to heal a bit, I did prune it away in the end though.
SAD_Stem_mold_2.jpg

otherwise the tent is full laterally so if I do end up loosing one plant it wont be a total loss. guess it is a strong plant with good genes to be able to withstand having mold eat its cambium layer for a little while and still appear healthy. the girls have just started to initiate flowering with some pistils coming along. They took a while to get going in veg the little afghans so its no suprise or concern that they are slow to initiate flower. Looking at least 10 weeks for this one I reckon. I put in two extra clip fans and I have two oscillating tower fans in opposite corners to have more air moving through the canopy.

SAD_F9.jpg

I remember when the plant was younger the intake fan sucked in a few dust bunnies and one got stuck around the base of that plant, I did get it out during my cleaning of the tent but maybe I left a bit behind and didn't quite get it all. I cant think of any other reason why it would happen. I have noticed that on other plants the coco has mounded a little against the stems and the plant doesn't care, no mold at all. I will chalk this one up to cleanliness on my behalf combined with a lack of air flow in the canopy. As I said, can't think of any other reason why this would have happened. Just glad I saw it now and not eight weeks in to flower :rofl:

Thanks again for the kind words and encouragement, I hope you are all doing well with your own respective projects.

Cheers :tokin:

Tent is defo full :rofl: looking really nice and green in there :)
With the moldy stem id say you are right with the airflow, probably got a bit humid down low, some strains and genetics are more prone to mold than others. Id keep an eye on it but if gets worse just cut out the affected area, no need to cull the whole plant, the rest looks healthy as :) Did you have it tied down at that point? sometimes the wire can cut into the stem and end up with similar results.

Tent is defo full :rofl: looking really nice and green in there :)
With the moldy stem id say you are right with the airflow, probably got a bit humid down low, some strains and genetics are more prone to mold than others. Id keep an eye on it but if gets worse just cut out the affected area, no need to cull the whole plant, the rest looks healthy as :) Did you have it tied down at that point? sometimes the wire can cut into the stem and end up with similar results.

Cheers Feral, yeah I ended up pruning away the affected branch, it opened up the canopy even more and allowing more air in. looks better today, they have chucked out a few more pistils over night also. I will have to look for some heavier gauge plastic coated wire as I noticed that it is cutting into the plants a little in some spots. The heaviest gauge coated wire I could find locally was only 0.6ml or something equally useless for anything other than seedlings. its all about the learning though.

On another note the kind folks at sweet seeds took a shine to my green poison diary over on the OZ Stoners forum where they are a sponsor and sent me some free seeds to say thanks. So next run will be some sativa dominant ladies in Ice Cool and Wild Rose, looking forward to that one :)

Cheers Feral, yeah I ended up pruning away the affected branch, it opened up the canopy even more and allowing more air in. looks better today, they have chucked out a few more pistils over night also. I will have to look for some heavier gauge plastic coated wire as I noticed that it is cutting into the plants a little in some spots. The heaviest gauge coated wire I could find locally was only 0.6ml or something equally useless for anything other than seedlings. its all about the learning though.

On another note the kind folks at sweet seeds took a shine to my green poison diary over on the OZ Stoners forum where they are a sponsor and sent me some free seeds to say thanks. So next run will be some sativa dominant ladies in Ice Cool and Wild Rose, looking forward to that one :)

Check out the cheap shops mate, got some garden wire from there that is roughly the same thickness to the wire but has a thick rubber coating :thumb: Another idea is like what i do and use the furry pipe cleaners to loop around the branch and then use your wire to hold it down. Good job on the free seeds mate, cant wait to see them, sound awesome, i thought they mainly dealt with autos. I tried a Bloody Skunk from them a few years back and did not really get anything decent out of it, pretty much the reason i dont do autos lol, people love their DDA though. Photo strains might sway me back in their direction :)

Check out the cheap shops mate, got some garden wire from there that is roughly the same thickness to the wire but has a thick rubber coating :thumb: Another idea is like what i do and use the furry pipe cleaners to loop around the branch and then use your wire to hold it down. Good job on the free seeds mate, cant wait to see them, sound awesome, i thought they mainly dealt with autos. I tried a Bloody Skunk from them a few years back and did not really get anything decent out of it, pretty much the reason i dont do autos lol, people love their DDA though. Photo strains might sway me back in their direction :)

I'll have a look at the cheap shops, they have taken on a whole new meaning now that I grow. See I am a super nerd and love to play warhammer 40k so I have always looked in cheap shops for terrain building ideas. Now that I am also a growing nerd :rofl: I have another excuse to rummage through them :)

I got onto sweet seeds at nimbin madi grass 2015, I was lucky enough to try some of there since discontinued strain "ganesh spirit." It was mighty fine smoke and seeing as they are moderately priced I gave them a go for my first indoor grows. So far so good with the photo varieties.

Shit to hear about the mould definitely one of the more frustrating things to deal with like you said though good thing you caught it early on rather then close to harvest, that shit is real annoying lol
The all look good and healthy though man, good job :thumb:
I also did some sweet seeds autos in some of my first grows first and only autos i did, beautiful loooking and tasting plants pretty petty harvest though lol
If they get some good photos going ill be buying from them again i like the mox of genetics they have in their range :)

Hey man your Plants are looking great! Subbed

Cheers bedroomfarmer, welcome aboard for the ride.

Shit to hear about the mould definitely one of the more frustrating things to deal with like you said though good thing you caught it early on rather then close to harvest, that shit is real annoying lol
The all look good and healthy though man, good job :thumb:
I also did some sweet seeds autos in some of my first grows first and only autos i did, beautiful loooking and tasting plants pretty petty harvest though lol
If they get some good photos going ill be buying from them again i like the mox of genetics they have in their range :)

hey there budlovski, the mold has been a worry but so far it seems to be under control. I have the day off work tomorrow so I will get in there and do some under pruning and take some photo's for you guys. I rate the sweet seeds photo varieties well so far. I have a few more to try yet so you can follow along and see if any catch your eye.

I went in and snapped some pics today, i also pruned away a lot of under growth. Last grow I didn't prune anything and ended up with lots of low popcorn. It made some really strong butter :) but would have been nice to get more big stuff up top and a few more ozzies in the jars so hopefully I can get that going more this time.

some piccies

SAD_F10.jpg
SAD_F11.jpg
SAD_F12.jpg

here is the mold plant stem, its not come back to much, I keep hitting it with the vinegar every two days or so. I tried to lst some of the branches and one snapped right off and the other split a bit. pretty tough little afghani buggers these ones lol

SAD_Stem_mold_3.jpg

take it easy all and have a good weekend.

Hey everyone,

many apologies for the lack of updates, things are going along pretty well overall. I did end up culling the front right plant over this last weekend after all. the mold was just hanging around and when i opened the tent I noticed a smell like an old moldy cellar starting to happen. I took her out to have a look at her in natural light and the mold was still there hanging about and even had spread across the coco a little. So I had a big vape of delicious green poison in her honor and chopped the moldy girl up and fed her to the chooks. I took the other girls out and had a good look over in natural light and could not find any trace of mold thankfully.

here they are Friday last week

SAD_F13.jpg

this morning minus the moldy one

SAD_F14.jpg

Overall I am still happy, I have three nice and healthy ladies that are forming up some nice looking colas. They have a very tight node spacing and are starting to put out a good amount of trichs. The tent smells clean and fresh this morning now and slightly delicious I must say :)

cheers and have a great week everyone :tokin:

Hey everyone,

many apologies for the lack of updates, things are going along pretty well overall. I did end up culling the front right plant over this last weekend after all. the mold was just hanging around and when i opened the tent I noticed a smell like an old moldy cellar starting to happen. I took her out to have a look at her in natural light and the mold was still there hanging about and even had spread across the coco a little. So I had a big vape of delicious green poison in her honor and chopped the moldy girl up and fed her to the chooks. I took the other girls out and had a good look over in natural light and could not find any trace of mold thankfully.

here they are Friday last week

SAD_F13.jpg

this morning minus the moldy one

SAD_F14.jpg

Overall I am still happy, I have three nice and healthy ladies that are forming up some nice looking colas. They have a very tight node spacing and are starting to put out a good amount of trichs. The tent smells clean and fresh this morning now and slightly delicious I must say :)

cheers and have a great week everyone :tokin:
Sorry to hear about having to cull one of your girls. What was it that caused such high humidity but only for one plant?

Hey there 5 to, good to see you over here on 420 mag also ;)

This is what I think happened,

For this grow I swapped out my grow lush oscilating clip fans because they both died on me within a week of each other. I replaced them with these tower fans I got but the way I had them placed they were blowing air above the canopy but not below or through it. Also when I first turned on the intake fan I have a few weeks into the grow a bunch of dust bunnies got sucked into the tent. I went around and clkeaned them all, or so I thought, but a few days later I noticed a dust bunny clinging to the stem of that plant. I cleaned it but I think some got left behind. Also the third factor was that when I was watering that particular pot the angle I was watering from was kind of mounding the coco up around the base of the stem were the dust had been.

so no air flow in the canopy + dust bunny on stem + mounding wet coco = mold. that's my conclusion anyway :rofl:

since then I have changed the height of the tower fans to get the air blowing over the whole plants and I have installed two sea hawk clip fans just below canopy height blowing over the stems.

Hey there 5 to, good to see you over here on 420 mag also ;)

This is what I think happened,

For this grow I swapped out my grow lush oscilating clip fans because they both died on me within a week of each other. I replaced them with these tower fans I got but the way I had them placed they were blowing air above the canopy but not below or through it. Also when I first turned on the intake fan I have a few weeks into the grow a bunch of dust bunnies got sucked into the tent. I went around and clkeaned them all, or so I thought, but a few days later I noticed a dust bunny clinging to the stem of that plant. I cleaned it but I think some got left behind. Also the third factor was that when I was watering that particular pot the angle I was watering from was kind of mounding the coco up around the base of the stem were the dust had been.

so no air flow in the canopy + dust bunny on stem + mounding wet coco = mold. that's my conclusion anyway :rofl:

since then I have changed the height of the tower fans to get the air blowing over the whole plants and I have installed two sea hawk clip fans just below canopy height blowing over the stems.
That's interesting and will be taking note of that as I fear the same issue from similar causes.
I have just yesterday installed another small fan in the cabinet but under the canopy to keep it a bit drier as I have found moisture and dew all around the walls under the canopy. Was at 99% humidity under there yesterday morning.

I have been trying to raise the humidity a bit up until now so I think removing some of the water trays may bring it down a bit. I have also done some lst and light defol to open the plants up as much as possible and allow both light and air right through.
I have pretty good air flow so I think it should be ok but as we have just moved into bloom I need to keep an eye on it.

I also have coco rising around the stem when I water due to the seeds being planted too deep in the beginning. They only just popped through the coco and started growing branches right at the base. I removed some of the coco to give it a bit of space but still isn't much. I didn't think that would cause an issue but I will keep an eye on it now you have mentioned it

That's interesting and will be taking note of that as I fear the same issue from similar causes.
I have just yesterday installed another small fan in the cabinet but under the canopy to keep it a bit drier as I have found moisture and dew all around the walls under the canopy. Was at 99% humidity under there yesterday morning.

I have been trying to raise the humidity a bit up until now so I think removing some of the water trays may bring it down a bit. I have also done some lst and light defol to open the plants up as much as possible and allow both light and air right through.
I have pretty good air flow so I think it should be ok but as we have just moved into bloom I need to keep an eye on it.

I also have coco rising around the stem when I water due to the seeds being planted too deep in the beginning. They only just popped through the coco and started growing branches right at the base. I removed some of the coco to give it a bit of space but still isn't much. I didn't think that would cause an issue but I will keep an eye on it now you have mentioned it

I think the dirty dust bunny was a major factor as the other plants are fine even after being subjected to the same conditions. I don't know what the humidity was in the canopy but the display on my temp guage that sits a few inches below my light goes between 50 and 65 percent. Also everyone that I have mentioned it to in chat over on OS and here on the boards at 420 mag say its the worst thing like that they have seen on a stem lol so hopefully its pretty rare and you will be right but def want to do something about moisture forming on the walls and 99 percent humid.

I did defol a fair bit down low and have been LSTing pretty heavy from the get go. It is a challenging strain to lst due to it's tight node spacing and very dense structure. Next run I have some more sativa genetics to try the same techniques on.

Back
Top Bottom