Light time change

RonT

I’m currently coming on at 6:00PM and off at 6:00AM. I would like to change it to on at 6:00AM and off at 6:00PM.
does anyone think this will hurt the crop? I have 6 flowering plants,som are in the 5th week and some are in their 2nd week

I'd leave them in the dark 36 hours for the switch if you are going to do this. I'd rather finish the grow(s), before starting a new schedule.

excellent solution,, cheers

Personally I don't mess with the schedule unless to add an extra hour of darkness (some folks worry about the time change twice a year, not like the plant knows what time it is ;) ). One of those probably won't affect it but to me not worth risking having issues, and if I wanted to do it differently I would wait until the next grow.

you'll be paying almost twice as much for electricity if you run your lights during peak hours. also it's much easier to deal with temps with lights on in the evening.

you'll be paying almost twice as much for electricity if you run your lights during peak hours. also it's much easier to deal with temps with lights on in the evening.
Yes those are concerns I have with the switch. My biggest fear at this point is that my room is to light during the day. I’m used to a pitch black room. It’s kind of like a few steps down from pitch black

Don't forget that the plants are subject to starlight, moonlight, and light pollution when grown outdoors. A little light during the dark hours for the plants should not matter.

If you wish to reduce the light further, blackout curtains or a tent will do it for you. You'd save the cost of them quickly on your power bill.

A little light during the dark hours for the plants should not matter.

my experience tells me different

tho i have not yet read the 'science' on this subject

my grow room was notoriously hermy prone till i dark room darked it. some plants always throw out a few male flowers at random, usually near the end of flower. different subject

my thots only,, cheers

a cut from a max yield article on the subject

Certain species of plants are subject to photoperiodism, in which the varying duration of light cycles between day and night cause plants to enter new phases of growth. To illustrate, uninterrupted 12-hour periods of darkness (nighttime) causes some plant species to start flowering. This process occurs when a hormone called photochrome reacts to sunlight intensity and durations, directing plants towards the different phases of growth.

If a sealed growroom is not 100 percent dark during the nighttime period, photoperiodism cycles can be interrupted, causing photochrome imbalances as related to specific plant processes. These hormonal imbalances can have negative and sometimes detrimental effects on an indoor harvest.

:volcano-smiley:

maybe not concrete lab science but the author is in the biz

Thanks for all of the replies and advice. I’m not going g to change now. Goi g to figure out the day light issue.
To me you have made the wisest choice. Once I set the 12/12 or 11/13 flowering cycle the time is what it is . The biggest thing you would have to worry about in my opinion if you where to change would be dealing with your plants hermaphroditing due to the stress of a schedule strain . Just like with light pollution in your room as some strains are more sensitive and others could care less .

One other thing to think about when you switch your schedule is when you have time to have visit your garden and if will be enough time to do what needs to be done. For this reason I recommend a green light in the garden so if its needed you can be in the garden and see when its lights out without any harm . Example in mine when im running my 5x7 scrogg , it can take up to 4 hours easily for me to defoliate ( it works for me) and train (lst and super crop). There are times when I preformed all this during lights out because of that green light . Also having a green light in the garden makes choosing the flowering schedule very easy as im never limited to a specific time I can enter or time that im limited in being in there. Here is an pic of a day that i installed a second trellis / screen and preformed defoliation . Started in the daylight hours and wrapped up in the lights out period without worry or concern ,
IMG_5518.JPG
IMG_5527.JPG

To me you have made the wisest choice. Once I set the 12/12 or 11/13 flowering cycle the time is what it is . The biggest thing you would have to worry about in my opinion if you where to change would be dealing with your plants hermaphroditing due to the stress of a schedule strain . Just like with light pollution in your room as some strains are more sensitive and others could care less .

One other thing to think about when you switch your schedule is when you have time to have visit your garden and if will be enough time to do what needs to be done. For this reason I recommend a green light in the garden so if its needed you can be in the garden and see when its lights out without any harm . Example in mine when im running my 5x7 scrogg , it can take up to 4 hours easily for me to defoliate ( it works for me) and train (lst and super crop). There are times when I preformed all this during lights out because of that green light . Also having a green light in the garden makes choosing the flowering schedule very easy as im never limited to a specific time I can enter or time that im limited in being in there. Here is an pic of a day that i installed a second trellis / screen and preformed defoliation . Started in the daylight hours and wrapped up in the lights out period without worry or concern ,
IMG_5518.JPG
IMG_5527.JPG
That really looks nice and thanks for the advice. I’m trying to figure the Scrooge thing out but have not had as much luck as everyone else.

That really looks nice and thanks for the advice. I’m trying to figure the Scrooge thing out but have not had as much luck as everyone else.
your welcome . In regards to scrogging some of the best advise I can give and is one of the hardest things to overcome is the training ...lst and supercrop ...the advise being don't be afraid , these plants are tuff so tuff that in training I have literally broke a branch clean off and stuck it back together and applied duct tape to have it heal itself and recover 100% in under 48hrs ! other than that look at some tutorials and keep working . You will get it it looks harder than it is and just know that its work and the greater majority of it is from start to the end of stretch .

your welcome . In regards to scrogging some of the best advise I can give and is one of the hardest things to overcome is the training ...lst and supercrop ...the advise being don't be afraid , these plants are tuff so tuff that in training I have literally broke a branch clean off and stuck it back together and applied duct tape to have it heal itself and recover 100% in under 48hrs ! other than that look at some tutorials and keep working . You will get it it looks harder than it is and just know that its work and the greater majority of it is from start to the end of stretch .
Thanks and yes I’m struggling with the training. I top them two different times and feel like in over doing it. I’ve done some super cropping and topping.

Thanks and yes I’m struggling with the training. I top them two different times and feel like in over doing it. I’ve done some super cropping and topping.
you just need to find your style , I only top mine once and the rest is training and that's what works for me .

I have only made that switch ones and I did it with an extended dark cycle and then fired back up on the new time change. They never missed a beat. I would say it's not the wisest of things to do but where I live I could not have blurples on at night and any light leakage from my basement windows even with them tapped off. I have a local cop that litterally lives 4 houses down and works nights. He patrols the crap out of this development at night.

No Pain, do you have a grow journal I could
Check out?
Unfortunately I only have one on here that I did about 4 years ago and I did not scrogg ,that link is in my sig. However I do have several that I have documented privately where is did scrogg as well as defoliation that I could share pictures off .

Back
Top Bottom