Listen to your plants

Green thumb lou

Hello everyone. First and foremost I hope everyone and their families are safe. It’s a scary time out there and I wish you all good health.

I wanted to take a little time to explain a few things that may seem wrong and way unconventional but really have worked for me. I have made adjustments as per recommendations with my plants ending up struggling. For me I have trouble explaining why but it is just how things react with program I am using.
Ok here we go. I use coco with 30 percent perlite and I used dry amendments with the coco. May I please say yes I shouldn’t be doing this. Coco isn’t designed to break this nutrient down like soil does. I understand this today. So what I have done is add healthy doses of molasses and worm castings. Like every other day. It’s over and above. I know this. But it works.
One very important factor I have learned with this is that my plant does terrible at a ph of 6.0. It struggles. I don’t understand that. Once I increased it to what I started at to a 6.4 to 6.5 and add cal mag daily it instantly began to flourish. The dry amendments must break down better this way. I have also stopped worrying about water temp, and left it as is in bucket after a 24 hr soak. I add crushed vitamin C to the water to help with reducing chlorine which I think is brilliant and I thank emilya for that lesson.
Now here is one thing all of you may say I am crazy as well to do and honestly it’s something I can’t explain at all. The two plants I am currently growing are white widow autoflowers by cks. And the would look good throughout the day and then both just wilt towards the end of the light cycle of 20 on and 4 off. They look like they are dying slow. So I started shortening the light time slowly. Same would happen every night till I found the sweet spot. I am now 14 hrs on and 10 off. They love it and don’t wilt anymore. It’s so wierd.
I just wanted to share this with you as every plant is so different. And that the Gaia Green can work with awesome results. But you have to read your plants and adjust with them. I don’t think any of the advice is wrong at all. I just think I had to adapt to what I was attempting and this has given me the best results with what I have.

Pics are before at 6.0 ph And after is 6.5ph and 3 weeks later
85BEBBE1-B3CE-44DB-8341-EBB3B84F09C7.jpeg
C53F9A46-BC42-41C2-8F6F-0F8539408E21.jpeg

Be safe everyone and happy growing

A good read thanks.
If I may add this is true but the remedy is not always the same. I had droopy plants at the end of the day too but my problem was fixed by changing my water cycle. I went from 24/7 to 15 minutes on 45 minutes off it made a world of difference for me. Obviously my setup is much different.

What I'm getting at is we can usually find a remedy one way or another by doing what you suggest and that is listen to our plants.

If your plants are sleepy there is a reason for it.

A good read thanks.
If I may add this is true but the remedy is not always the same. I had droopy plants at the end of the day too but my problem was fixed by changing my water cycle. I went from 24/7 to 15 minutes on 45 minutes off it made a world of difference for me. Obviously my setup is much different.

What I'm getting at is we can usually find a remedy one way or another by doing what you suggest and that is listen to our plants.

Awesome. Great point and well noted. I never accounted for that thought. Thanks for your advice too.

Hello everyone. First and foremost I hope everyone and their families are safe. It’s a scary time out there and I wish you all good health.

I wanted to take a little time to explain a few things that may seem wrong and way unconventional but really have worked for me. I have made adjustments as per recommendations with my plants ending up struggling. For me I have trouble explaining why but it is just how things react with program I am using.
Ok here we go. I use coco with 30 percent perlite and I used dry amendments with the coco. May I please say yes I shouldn’t be doing this. Coco isn’t designed to break this nutrient down like soil does. I understand this today. So what I have done is add healthy doses of molasses and worm castings. Like every other day. It’s over and above. I know this. But it works.
One very important factor I have learned with this is that my plant does terrible at a ph of 6.0. It struggles. I don’t understand that. Once I increased it to what I started at to a 6.4 to 6.5 and add cal mag daily it instantly began to flourish. The dry amendments must break down better this way. I have also stopped worrying about water temp, and left it as is in bucket after a 24 hr soak. I add crushed vitamin C to the water to help with reducing chlorine which I think is brilliant and I thank emilya for that lesson.
Now here is one thing all of you may say I am crazy as well to do and honestly it’s something I can’t explain at all. The two plants I am currently growing are white widow autoflowers by cks. And the would look good throughout the day and then both just wilt towards the end of the light cycle of 20 on and 4 off. They look like they are dying slow. So I started shortening the light time slowly. Same would happen every night till I found the sweet spot. I am now 14 hrs on and 10 off. They love it and don’t wilt anymore. It’s so wierd.
I just wanted to share this with you as every plant is so different. And that the Gaia Green can work with awesome results. But you have to read your plants and adjust with them. I don’t think any of the advice is wrong at all. I just think I had to adapt to what I was attempting and this has given me the best results with what I have.

I wonder about your pH. Typically pot plants like around 5 or 5.5 (I find 5.5to be right for me. I wondered about the lights, I have always run 18/6 with good results but a friend told me tonight that he is running 24/7 and having good results at five weeks. Seems to me a plant needs some rest time. What do you think, have you experienced this? Stay well, protect yourself.

One very important factor I have learned with this is that my plant does terrible at a ph of 6.0. It struggles. I don’t understand that. Once I increased it to what I started at to a 6.4 to 6.5 and add cal mag daily it instantly began to flourish. The dry amendments must break down better this way. I have also stopped worrying about water temp, and left it as is in bucket after a 24 hr soak. I add crushed vitamin C to the water to help with reducing chlorine which I think heis brilliant and I thank emilya for that lesson.

Interesting points brought up here. Thanks for sharing greenthumblou!
listening and being able to read your plants is crucial regardless of how or what your growing. and when you change things do so carefully and a little at a time.

Interesting points brought up here. Thanks for sharing greenthumblou!
listening and being able to read your plants is crucial regardless of how or what your growing. and when you change things do so carefully and a little at a time.
Thank you, Ya so much difference this go round. I am happy I made the adjustments as well. But I agree the adjustments were way in left field. Happy I went with my gut though. Stay safe and happy growing.

Hi peeps. Well I had some anomalies thru this grow I took every bit of advice given and adjusted accordingly. The best tip was the light cycle. The last month of the grow I increased the light back to the 20/4. And of course they loved it. Due to having to move I had to harvest a week early I feel. But happy with the results for sure. This is the smallest one, but from seed to now was 13 weeks
7D0709B9-04BA-4410-97E4-1770C20DFE94.jpeg

A good read thanks.

Your help did wonders. Much appreciated today :ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom