LST How to do

:thanks: SS for answering emeraldgrl question .... hope it works out as well for you emeraldgrl as it did SS :cheer:

:thanks: infexion1134 glad people are able to use this info :passitleft:

:thanks: FrostyBuds again glad info is helping fellow growers :passitleft:

Your :welcome: Vaporeyes ....glad LST has worked for you Cheers :passitleft:

:thanks: again SS for info and great pictures. Appreciate the help and input brother grower :passitleft:

I agree C5Rftw doing that transformed his plant that was too tall to a plant that had a lot of nice colas :roorrip:

you're welcome Tunes!

I didn't want to hijack your thread, especially with pics, but pics are so helpful when describing LST.

Glad you appreciate it ;).

Your LST explanations and pics were what motivated me to try it, and I'm sure glad I did!

cool to know there is several different ways to do it too... really depends on how high you want the plant as to which technique is best for you it seems

There's as many ways as people's creativity.

One grower here, I can't ever remember who, uses chopsticks in a crosswise "X" manner to LST his plants.

On smaller plants, I'm liking the 1/2" plastic plant tape for the counter-tie, and "J" shaped pieces of solid-core wire to hold the tops down.

Some growers tie weights on the branches to bring them down.

Another good thing is, it doesn't seem to shock the plant as much as much as topping, fimming, super-cropping, etc., so growth doesn't slow down as much.

I wasn't very interested in LST when I first heard of it and saw it because I was infatuated with big main colas, but I've slowly come around ;).

One grower here, I can't ever remember who, uses chopsticks in a crosswise "X" manner to LST his plants.
IMG_10132.JPG

Here is one of mine....My first grow
Fluroman is one that uses chop sticks....and who inspired me to start LST and eventually find the wire method i use now....and don't matter what you use (long as you don't hurt plant) the end is all the same no matter what method works easiest for you....LST...Low Stress Training is goal....and bushy plants....and more buds level with light :)

IMG_10132.JPG

Here is one of mine....My first grow
Fluroman is one that uses chop sticks....and who inspired me to start LST and eventually find the wire method i use now....and don't matter what you use (long as you don't hurt plant) the end is all the same no matter what method works easiest for you....LST...Low Stress Training is goal....and bushy plants....and more buds level with light :)

if you didn't LST one and had a LST plant. and they both had exact same lighting, temp, ETC., ETC.....and both vegged for one month, which plant would yield more

I think the answer to your question depends mostly on how much light you have.

If you have 1000w, you have good penetration, so as long as you've got the vertical space, you're not going to gain much by LST.

On the other hand, with lower power lights, I think yield would go up if you spread the grow out horizontally because then penetration is not as important.

It also makes sense to me that since the plant derives it's energy from the fan leaves and foliage, creating more extensive branching should increase the amount of energy.

It's main benefit is to control height, but I think that in a lot of indoor grows, it will increase yield also.

I'm pretty sure it was one of the reasons my yield doubled on my last grow.

If you have 1000w, you have good penetration, so as long as you've got the vertical space, you're not going to gain much by LST.

On the other hand, with lower power lights, I think yield would go up if you spread the grow out horizontally because then penetration is not as important.

It also makes sense to me that since the plant derives it's energy from the fan leaves and foliage, creating more extensive branching should increase the amount of energy.

It's main benefit is to control height, but I think that in a lot of indoor grows, it will increase yield also.

yah, Im thinking the same way you are about it...
and if your yield doubled, especially an experienced grower like you, than it has to be beneficial to the plant... I actually have a 1000w HPS and it only penetrates have the height of my plants.. that is still a lot, but its not about how many leaves you got, its about how many leaves you got that are getting light for photosynthesis which is everything

You gotta love the grow support team, they got some real insight into the why and how.

yah, Im thinking the same way you are about it...
and if your yield doubled, especially an experienced grower like you, than it has to be beneficial to the plant... I actually have a 1000w HPS and it only penetrates have the height of my plants.. that is still a lot, but its not about how many leaves you got, its about how many leaves you got that are getting light for photosynthesis which is everything

If the 1000w only penetrates halfway down with your strain and style of grow, then I think you would really benefit by going horizontal and keeping them half as tall.

I resisted the idea because I love huge main colas and I thought I might actually decrease my yield by using LST, but that was not the case.

I took this whole thread to heart. I have a 1k light in a tent and I chose to LST all of my plants including my mothers. Pics in my journal. Thank you to everyone here, I really feel that the information in this thread is going to hook me up :Rasta:

CK

I agree.....LST with CFL's is a must to increase yield....with 1000 watt the penetration is much better...but personally have not grown enough to give opinion on HID light and LST. I don't think it would Decrease yield....so safe to try i would think :passitleft:

If the 1000w only penetrates halfway down with your strain and style of grow, then I think you would really benefit by going horizontal and keeping them half as tall.

I resisted the idea because I love huge main colas and I thought I might actually decrease my yield by using LST, but that was not the case.

there is nothing like huge main colas... my last one was 12g dry.. but on my current grow, wow its already that size 4 weeks in to flowering... I cant wait!

once its in the jars, it all looks the same, but there is the donkey dick envy thing to deal with, lol

yah, i hate that... the are so unique when you chop em... even trimmin 4 OZ worth, I can still recognize every bud lol.. but once they are cured, they all look the same to me..

thats why i keep my big colas in separate jars, big ones, so i can keep those heavy nugs looking are fresh as possible...

Beautiful sequence and results Tunes!

I think I'm noticing the main stems on LST''ed plants thicken in response to the stress of being bent over.

The thickening seems to start immediately after bending them. I did a very informal experiment with two plants. I fimmed one and LST'ed the other.

The LST plant thickened it's main stem much sooner than the fimmed plant, although the fimmed plant almost caught up a few weeks later in stem diameter.

That would be another great benefit to LST if it increases the pipeline early, before bloom.

:thanks: gentlemen great theory SS...you may have something there....I do notice stem getting thicker quicker cause of twisting...so must be getting more juices flowing ....which is usually a good thing :surf:

yes let us know here what ya all come up with....and I'll keep twisting up my ladies :yahoo:

Back
Top Bottom