LST How to do

It's pretty amazing to me how hard plants pull against the ties.

They don't seem give up fighting until about mid-bloom, just after the stretch, when the ties start going slack.

I wonder if the energy loss is compensated by the larger pipeline. I really don't see much slowing down with LST like I do with topping, just a relatively quick redistribution of energy as the new leaders take off. Even a few hours after bending them over, I see changes, compared to topping, where the plant just sits there in shock for a couple of days before anything noticeable happens.

Yes, they do.

I give my young seedlings a couple of good flicks/shakes every time I visit them to strengthen the stems.

Seems to work very well for that, but didn't know it might have other benefits.

Thanks for explaining the difference in stimuli between LST and topping. Makes sense.

How would a lanky sativa strain handle LST?

I've heard growers comment "didn't take too well to LST" and other remarks along those lines, but I never hear why. Does they stall their growth or something? Throw a temper tantrum? lol

Re: LST ... How to do

Amazing....simply amazing:goodjob:

Evolution Of A GrowCab-From The School of hard Knocks
Grow Cab Ventilation Redesign-All About Heat
Deep Water Culture with Fogponic Contruction

Here are some results with same LST method in soil grows
IMG_11172.JPG

4inflower.JPG

IMG_2137.JPG

IMG_2117.JPG

IMG_2113.JPG

33days_15_.JPG

IMG_11211.JPG

679_1_.JPG

6309_27_.JPG

611_3_.JPG

IMG_1561.JPG

IMG_15491.JPG

tiedown.JPG

IMG_18691.JPG

IMG_19392.JPG

IMG_19281.JPG

IMG_20061.JPG

IMG_21231.JPG

dgeer_1_.JPG

Check and see if the stem above the zip tie increased in girth or if that plant grew larger with more yield.

There's a technique called "girdling" that essentially involves doing that on purpose to increase growth above-ground by limiting growth to the root zone, which is what happens when the outer layer of the stem gets pinched.

LOL, well i guess that wouldnt surprise me, I accidentally broke a top almost completely through and thought i screwed things up and was going to snip it off...kept it and it turned into by far the thickest top I have, then i read its called supper cropping ( this is my first grow)......now when am i going to stumble into that winning lottery ticket?......Ill post a pic of the tie today...

IMG00139-20100319-0832.jpg

wow what a fantastic thread - many thanks tunes429
also some very valuable information from setting sun and grooster - cheers guys

i have 6 cheese clones and started to lst after reading this thread amongst others, initially toyed with fim / supercroppng / pinching but decided that this technique will probably suit me best.

i will be setting up a new thread soon but just have a quick question regarding lst .............so far i have secured the stem at root level and tied down the central stem exactly opposite. now its been a few days and im not sure what to tie down next ??!! is it the tallest side branch ?? or the tallest branch from the central stem ??

the way I do it is to tie down whatever branch is highest, whether the main cola or a side branch.

In essence, you're redirecting the plant's growth energy by using LST, so the more even you keep the canopy, the more even in size the buds will be, although the main "cola" is usually a bit larger, probably from having the largest stem.

whatever top shoots up higher, tie it down even with the rest of them.

I usually adjust the ties a couple of times during bloom to keep things nice and flat.

the other benefit from keeping things even is that you don't get as much shading.

:thanks: sullymonster glad we could help......I do like SS...keep it even and tie down tallest branches to make as much even at the canopy as i can. GL :)

:thanks: SS/brother grower, for keeping up and helping with this thread....I have not been around much lately so glad people are able to get quick reply's from you and the 420 community CHEERS :passitleft:

Awesome thread. Very informative. Im doing my best with this LSTing. Seems to be doing the job. I went and purchased the heavy wire for the branches but i bought special padded wire for holding the stems. I know I know i spoil my babies ;) Oh and a quick question... I have to bend my wires so that they hold onto the lip of my buckets but i seen that you have your just stuck in the dirt??? I tried to do it like that but it just came back up and wouldnt hold the branch down??

you can try to put some bends in the wire to give it more anchoring in the soil, but I don't use the wire method.

I use plastic plant tape, which is very gentle on stems, and I secure them to the pot with black binder clips, or you can drill holes around the upper perimeter of the pot to tie down to.

Back
Top Bottom