Massive autos inside, small autos outdoor

datfatboi

So i would like to spark some conversation when it comes to autos indoors vs outdoors.

I grew around 10 autos outdoors over the last 3 years. At different times of the year

All of my yields were rather small even with autos that go for 3 months. Around 10-60 grams.

The autos were always very small outdoors especially compared to the fems (easily yielding 300+ g's)

Tried to do and auto indoors with a shitty closet setup, 100w.blurple and no fan.

Usual soil (terra canna professional) usual fertilizer mega crop. Usual ratio soil-perlite

HOLY SHIT, its been a little over a month and this thing is M A S S I V E, ive never had such massive auto outdoors.

Im running 16 hours ish of light. THE SPEED AT WHICH IT GROWS IS INSANE. Ive never seen a weed plant grow so damn fast, everyday i wake up and it gets visibly bigger.

Im trying to figure out why they dont become as beefy outdoors. (Im from south europe so perfect weed growing weather)

I did everything as usual, only difference seems to be that im indoors. What gives? Please help ne figure this out i want big autos outdoors!!!!

I'm going with the 18 hours of consistent light. Also I noticed I fed and watered more religiously my indoor plants. Outdoor ones when I got around to it.
Right now I have a pineapple express auto just in first week of flower at Day 54 and if I didn't tie over all her tops she'd be just under 6ft! So I'm going to do another one outside and see if she'll get as big, hopefully she will.

I'm going with the 18 hours of consistent light. Also I noticed I fed and watered more religiously my indoor plants. Outdoor ones when I got around to it.
Right now I have a pineapple express auto just in first week of flower at Day 54 and if I didn't tie over all her tops she'd be just under 6ft! So I'm going to do another one outside and see if she'll get as big, hopefully she will.
Well but in the summer here we get 16 hours of extremely strong sunlight, can a pathetic 100w blurple even compare if it was on 24/7?

I'm of the opinion that autoflowers are bred and selected indoors in a highly controlled environment, and most varieties do not take well to the swings in temperature and RH that outside growers get.

I grow outside during the day and inside under lights at night, and I gave up autos because the yields were almost always disappointing.

I'm of the opinion that autoflowers are bred and selected indoors in a highly controlled environment, and most varieties do not take well to the swings in temperature and RH that outside growers get.

May be onto something there, though probably a large percentage of the strains/seeds today were probably bred indoors, unless it has something to do with the Ruderalis part of the Autos.

I would up the light to 20/4.

My last autoflower grew over 4" a day for 8 straight days.
Was like bamboo.

Here it is for 17 days of growth about 3 days apart each pic.

20190831_001202.jpg

20190903_001309.jpg

20190906_001930.jpg

20190909_122130.jpg

20190912_100042.jpg

20190915_110940.jpg

20190918_193659.jpg

Each tile is 4 1/2" from grout line to grout line.
It ended up over 6 1/2 feet tall and got just shy of 8 oz.

Autoflowers can grow very fast if you give them all the light they can handle.

I'm pretty sure the issue datfatboi mentioned is not light-related, as he mentioned earlier:
in the summer here we get 16 hours of extremely strong sunlight, can a pathetic 100w blurple even compare if it was on 24/7?
I've run autos outside in 14 hours of 133,000 lux and ended up with small plants. I'm pretty sure that you'd be hard pressed to find a light at 20/4 that can top the DLI of my sunlight at over 120.

(My sunlight of 133,000 lux * 0.0185 calibration factor = 2460.5 PPFD x 14 hours = 124 DLI)

Also, my biggest auto (6 ounces) was grown in the dead of winter here.

From all the autos and photos I've run, I have to say it's more likely environmental. And back when we ran the Brooklyn Sunrise Auto comparative a few years back, the inside growers trumped all the outdoor growers by a mile.

VPD outdoor could be ridiculous like 90⁰ and 20% humidity.
Or any number of things that could slow growth.
But in general if everything else is on point indoor then an autoflower under 1000 PPFD for 20 hrs a day is going to get bigger faster and have a higher yield, vs an autoflower under 500 PPFD for 16 hrs a day.
Yes the environment could totally muck up the whole deal regardless what type or how much light, in fact if your environment is shit then more light would just make it worse.

To me autoflowers are like a race car.
Photo-periods are like a dead stock 1969 VW, they just plug along, can run fine on any gas, you can pretty much always keep it running even if something phucks up.
The race car, needs just the right high octane gas, everything totally dialed in, anything happens anything not exactly right and BOOM! d00b on a stick.

I would up the light to 20/4.

My last autoflower grew over 4" a day for 8 straight days.
Was like bamboo.

Here it is for 17 days of growth about 3 days apart each pic.

20190831_001202.jpg

20190903_001309.jpg

20190906_001930.jpg

20190909_122130.jpg

20190912_100042.jpg

20190915_110940.jpg

20190918_193659.jpg

Each tile is 4 1/2" from grout line to grout line.
It ended up over 6 1/2 feet tall and got just shy of 8 oz.

Nice. I have 2 I just put outside this past weekend. They went from 12" to almost 2.5' in the 3 days they have been out side.

VPD outdoor could be ridiculous like 90⁰ and 20% humidity.
Or any number of things that could slow growth.
But in general if everything else is on point indoor then an autoflower under 1000 PPFD for 20 hrs a day is going to get bigger faster and have a higher yield, vs an autoflower under 500 PPFD for 16 hrs a day.
Yes the environment could totally muck up the whole deal regardless what type or how much light, in fact if your environment is shit then more light would just make it worse.

To me autoflowers are like a race car.
Photo-periods are like a dead stock 1969 VW, they just plug along, can run fine on any gas, you can pretty much always keep it running even if something phucks up.
The race car, needs just the right high octane gas, everything totally dialed in, anything happens anything not exactly right and BOOM! d00b on a stick.
pretty good analogy lol! it's like my ducati monster, it's powerful fast, and fun until it starts falling apart on you :Rasta:

Back
Top Bottom