Mini photography tutorial

I just snapped this macro as a quick example. It's a 10 year old Cannon digital. Not super fancy or expensive then. Used auto focus and auto exposure. Macro mode. No flash. No tripod. No zoom. Tent light on. Camera about 1/2 inch away from the bud.

macro1 - Copy.png

Not the best result, but pretty good for not trying too hard. Almost time to harvest. Found my lost eyelash!

very nice,, my grow lights also provide just the right amount of light for good hand held shots,, you have a lens,, with macro capabilities that does a just fine job,, sure no need to wonder if that plant is ready for harvest.

@Buds Buddy ,, this is the quality you seek,,

this is the best my panasonic can do,, even with a leica lens,,

P1180205 (3).JPG

I found this Canon T6 with 2 lenses, Charger & Bag for $200. Can someone check out the specs on this for me & tell me if it will take good Macro's & if you think it's worth the $200? I think it is, but what do I know.... lol. I'm also looking at the T6i & T7 (2000D). The T6 does not have a Mic jack, but I don't really plan on video recording anything that I need sound for anyway. Was going to try to buy something over the weekend if I find the right deal.
Q: When they talk about 12% (12000) or 44% (44000) Shutter.... what do they mean ? Sounds like they're saying a camera shutter is good for 100,000 clicks & 12% or 44% is used up. Like I said.... What do I know ?
9f38968b9d7e48ab9a60e91c573a40b6.jpg
b409245bde12439180850fa97ff20404.jpg

Your Fujifilm camera has a macro mode and the 50X zoom is optical not digital. So you should be able to take higher magnification pics than the example I provided.
I can't seem to be able to select just a Macro Mode. It does show the Macro Symbol when I put the camera close up to something in SR Auto Mode. Can't find the manual so I'll have to download it.

If you don't have a tripod, they make a huge difference for high mag pics.
I do have one. It's still in the box. Never opened it. Have a background stand too that's never been opened yet.
So do you think this Fuji can take as good of pics as the Canon T6 if I learn how to use the functions ? I hate to pass up the T6 if not. Most of them are $300 or more (used) on ebay. I might just buy it anyway to compare. If I like the Fuji better I can resale the T6 on ebay.

Thanks. I'll take a look at the manual on line & see if I can change settings. The camera does a ton of stuff I don't know how to do..... so just maybe I can change settings.
Macro lens, scope, tripod (for your phone/camera), microphone holder (for your scope)

I just snapped this macro as a quick example. It's a 10 year old Cannon digital. Not super fancy or expensive then. Used auto focus and auto exposure. Macro mode. No flash. No tripod. No zoom. Tent light on. Camera about 1/2 inch away from the bud.

macro1 - Copy.png

Not the best result, but pretty good for not trying too hard. Almost time to harvest. Found my lost eyelash!
Exactly the type of photo I want to be able to take.

Nice work @Krissi Carbone !

The advantage of a micro/macro lens is the short auto focus distance.

For instance, on a Nikon D800 my 105mm can focus as close as 12".

Fly stack four web size.jpg

I have a microscope camera on my amazon wish list but I just can't talk myself into hitting the buy button. ;)

This is what a Nikon D7200/105mm can do, with a small crop !

Of course even at used prices you would be looking at ~ a grand Cdn o_O

Where as the USB microscope camera is about $40 !

Amnesia Auto One 26 Sept.jpg

Cheers

Nice work @Krissi Carbone !

The advantage of a micro/macro lens is the short auto focus distance.

For instance, on a Nikon D800 my 105mm can focus as close as 12".

Fly stack four web size.jpg

I have a microscope camera on my amazon wish list but I just can't talk myself into hitting the buy button. ;)

This is what a Nikon D7200/105mm can do, with a small crop !

Of course even at used prices you would be looking at ~ a grand Cdn o_O

Where as the USB microscope camera is about $40 !

Amnesia Auto One 26 Sept.jpg

Cheers
That bug pic. Omg. Soooo your Nikon lol what kind of price tag you have on that, 1k you said?! Do you have the macro app that enhances your photos? Someone here has some routine with increasing clarity in trichome photos buy I'm not sure who that was now lol

I do have one. It's still in the box. Never opened it. Have a background stand too that's never been opened yet.
So do you think this Fuji can take as good of pics as the Canon T6 if I learn how to use the functions ? I hate to pass up the T6 if not. Most of them are $300 or more (used) on ebay. I might just buy it anyway to compare. If I like the Fuji better I can resale the T6 on ebay.

I would try to get the most out of the Fuji before buying something else. It can take nice pics. It's technically a better camera than mine. The Cannon will have a similar learning curve too. The deal on the T6 is not too good to pass on.

That bug pic. Omg. Soooo your Nikon lol what kind of price tag you have on that, 1k you said?! Do you have the macro app that enhances your photos? Someone here has some routine with increasing clarity in trichome photos buy I'm not sure who that was now lol
The bug picture was taken with the camera tethered to a laptop and using a program called "Control Your Nikon".

It has a stacking function where it automatically takes a number of images at different focal lengths (that you can choose). That image is a stack of six. And then there is another (free) program that combines the images into one !

The fly was actually dead and posed on a aloe vera leaf with a dish towel for background. And two studio strobes ;)

Another hobby that turned professional :yahoo:

Cheers

my opinion only,, not yours,,

one q? do you want to take nice bud pics? or do you want to be creative with a camera inside and 'outside' the cannabis scene. pretty flower pics perhaps,,

IMG_0821.JPG

etc,,

if so,, my opinion is to buy near any known brand of camera, canon for example, the camera body can be quite basic.

its the lenses that matter

buy the body and two lenses.

one a fixed 55 ml (or similar) with perhaps macro capabilities, but whatever it will be fine for close ups. this is the lens you spend money on.

then buy another zoom from wide angle to 5, 600 ml. this is the lens you have fun with

photo, wet coast v.i..jpg

pics will be deleted,, but, till then,,

The bug picture was taken with the camera tethered to a laptop and using a program called "Control Your Nikon".
:thanks:
It has a stacking function where it automatically takes a number of images at different focal lengths (that you can choose). That image is a stack of six. And then there is another (free) program that combines the images into one !
That's what I believe he was talking about, thank you again...
The fly was actually dead and posed on a aloe vera leaf with a dish towel for background. And two studio strobes ;)

Another hobby that turned professional :yahoo:

Cheers
You go Chuck, marvelous work, on a dead bug nonetheless
my opinion only,, not yours,,

one q? do you want to take nice bud pics? or do you want to be creative with a camera inside and 'outside' the cannabis scene. pretty flower pics perhaps,,

IMG_0821.JPG

etc,,

if so,, my opinion is to buy near any known brand of camera, canon for example, the camera body can be quite basic.

its the lenses that matter

buy the body and two lenses.

one a fixed 55 ml (or similar) with perhaps macro capabilities, but whatever it will be fine for close ups. this is the lens you spend money on.

then buy another zoom from wide angle to 5, 600 ml. this is the lens you have fun with

photo, wet coast v.i..jpg

pics will be deleted,, but, till then,,
Oh Niv, you know I want it all my friend. The pics will stay, they are a reference point and they are absolutely beautiful.

I love photography the more I do it. Thinking maybe for my birthday this year, everyone can just chip in to help me get a decent camera and some good lenses.

I do my best with what I have now but there's so much more and better I can do, I know.

Back
Top Bottom