Munki's "Al Naturale" Autoflower Outdoor Escursion - 2011

She sure is cute, Munki. Your situation is like mine, except the outdoor part. Usually I don't grow in the summer, but I decided to grow out a freebie auto seed just to have something to love on during the summer and journal about. I'm jealous - wish I could bring mine outside. :)

She sure looks to be loving the sun so far. :thumb:

She sure is cute, Munki. Your situation is like mine, except the outdoor part. Usually I don't grow in the summer, but I decided to grow out a freebie auto seed just to have something to love on during the summer and journal about. I'm jealous - wish I could bring mine outside. :)

She sure looks to be loving the sun so far. :thumb:

Yeah, I wanted to take advantage of using the natural light for a change. I do have neighbors, but I'm hoping the AutoFlower doesn't get too big. A full sized Sativa would be beautiful, but out of the question!

I cut my teeth growing cannabis with AF's; count me in!

:goodluck::popcorn:

Right on, Zombo. Glad to have you with us, following along. Please chime in with any tips as the grow progresses as this is my first autoflower.

Day 10, afternoon. Looking good so far. Starting to see the secondary blades on the 2nd set of leaves forming now.

062211-pic1.JPG
062211-pic2.JPG
062211-pic3.JPG

Yeah, I wanted to take advantage of using the natural light for a change. I do have neighbors, but I'm hoping the AutoFlower doesn't get too big. A full sized Sativa would be beautiful, but out of the question!

Since it's an AF, are you - or will you be - giving any supplemental illumination outside of dawn-to-dusk?

Since it's an AF, are you - or will you be - giving any supplemental illumination outside of dawn-to-dusk?

So far, I was planning on keeping the entire grow "Al Naturale", so no indoor growing. I do reserve the right to change my mind if conditions warrant the deviation. ;) I've heard that the plant can use up to 20 hours of light per day. Liking the low cost of this method so far, however.

I've looked at seedlings growing in indoor nurseries and this little gal has felt no need to reach for the light. Figure there has been no need with it getting plenty of light density from the sun. Love not having to worry about the inverse square law!

I've looked at seedlings growing in indoor nurseries and this little gal has felt no need to reach for the light. Figure there has been no need with it getting plenty of light density from the sun. Love not having to worry about the inverse square law!
Amen to that, Brother Munki -- the Sun ROCKS.:goodjob:

As far as nutes, previous advice was start at 1/4th strength and work up; that is sage advice as far as I'm concerned. I think the Ruderalis genetics are sensitive to being blasted at a young age - I cooked one Auto Hindu Kush by going full strength as soon as I had 4 sets of true leaves; that was a wee bit early ;)

Amen to that, Brother Munki -- the Sun ROCKS.:goodjob:

As far as nutes, previous advice was start at 1/4th strength and work up; that is sage advice as far as I'm concerned. I think the Ruderalis genetics are sensitive to being blasted at a young age - I cooked one Auto Hindu Kush by going full strength as soon as I had 4 sets of true leaves; that was a wee bit early ;)

Right on. So far, just been using tap water that I leave in a watering can outside. Maybe about 8 ounces of H2O every two days so far.

Right on. So far, just been using tap water that I leave in a watering can outside. Maybe about 8 ounces of H2O every two days so far.

Just watch out for algae buildup in your watering can. We have to bleach ours every two weeks or so. No chlorine to deal with as we have well water, but algae builds up after prolonged use with water sitting in the bottles. Friends of ours are just finishing up their autoflower grow, which is also their first attempt at indoor growing. Pakistani Rider, and the smoke is phenominal. Needless to say, they are very proud so far. Yours should do wonderful with the amount of sun you get in SoCal. They would put their auto's in the sun during the day(when it shines here), and were blessed with 2 foot tall plants in the end. Keep em green brother!:goodluck:

So far, I was planning on keeping the entire grow "Al Naturale", so no indoor growing. I do reserve the right to change my mind if conditions warrant the deviation. ;) I've heard that the plant can use up to 20 hours of light per day. Liking the low cost of this method so far, however.

Makes sense to me. I have been told that an AF will do fine outside with no supplementation. I just find myself curious as to whether there is an appreciable improvement in yield when one supplements daylight. Guess you cannot do experiments with a very limited number of plants, though.

Love not having to worry about the inverse square law!

Been too long so I don't remember, but starlight might have something like the inverse square law too? Of course, when the light just traveled ~93,000,000 miles... What's another foot, lol?

How's the Ca level in your water? If it's high, are you adding any Epsom salts or another Mg source to keep the ratios decent? My tap water sucks balls (technical term:)).

Just watch out for algae buildup in your watering can. We have to bleach ours every two weeks or so. No chlorine to deal with as we have well water, but algae builds up after prolonged use with water sitting in the bottles. Friends of ours are just finishing up their autoflower grow, which is also their first attempt at indoor growing. Pakistani Rider, and the smoke is phenominal. Needless to say, they are very proud so far. Yours should do wonderful with the amount of sun you get in SoCal. They would put their auto's in the sun during the day(when it shines here), and were blessed with 2 foot tall plants in the end. Keep em green brother!:goodluck:

I think the municipal water sources have helped in resisting the growth coupled with the fact that I keep the can on the north side of the house in the shade. See the water report below for specifics in my water.

Been too long so I don't remember, but starlight might have something like the inverse square law too? Of course, when the light just traveled ~93,000,000 miles... What's another foot, lol?

Yep, while the law always applies, just not appreciably at the ratios of millions of miles to individual feet.

How's the Ca level in your water? If it's high, are you adding any Epsom salts or another Mg source to keep the ratios decent? My tap water sucks balls (technical term:)).

Didn't add anything ... Here is my water report.

2010WaterReport1.png
2010WaterReport2.png

Good for you bro. Many municipalities are/have switched to a different form of chlorine for water. It is harder to remove from the water molecule, as it binds more tightly. It therefore takes a very good filter system to remove it, or longer periods of exposure to air to disipate. I am glad we no longer are on municiple water, just for that reason. No more filtering, no ph balancing, much easier for growing. I can't wait to see how your ladies grow up. Keep up the excellant work brother.

Good for you bro. Many municipalities are/have switched to a different form of chlorine for water. It is harder to remove from the water molecule, as it binds more tightly. It therefore takes a very good filter system to remove it, or longer periods of exposure to air to disipate. I am glad we no longer are on municiple water, just for that reason. No more filtering, no ph balancing, much easier for growing. I can't wait to see how your ladies grow up. Keep up the excellant work brother.

I think you are speaking of chloramine. I think they have used it but I do not see it listed on the chart.

Does anyone see an issue with the water quality or the balance of nutrients like Calcium to Magnesium ratios? I don't see a particular issue myself and I know other plant species do grow from this municipal source in the neighborhood.

Day 12, afternoon. Sun has been somewhat limited the last couple of days here at home, even though just a couple of miles inland the sun is out most of the day. Kind of sucks but hey, I get to live near the beach. High quality problem!

062411-pic1.JPG
062411-pic2.JPG
062411-pic3.JPG

...Love not having to worry about the inverse square law!

That's because, like Huey Lewis, you're just too hip to be square! :)

My tap water sucks balls (technical term:)).

...Your tap water's a Teabagger? :thedoubletake:

Gotta watch out for those Republicans. They're here to keep you poor and KILL you... but not before they make as much money off you as possible. :surrender:

It's a war, and the good guys are losing.

...Better stop before I get all pissed off again. :rolleyes3

Does anyone see an issue with the water quality or the balance of nutrients like Calcium to Magnesium ratios? I don't see a particular issue myself and I know other plant species do grow from this municipal source in the neighborhood.

Hmmm. Am I reading this right? By the time it gets to your tap (table 2), you've got some moderately hard water (270 ppm) and your TDS is rather up there, Munki. While your Cal/Mag by itself seems workable, anything over 200 (total) can start to cause problems. I'm thinking you may find it necessary to cut it w/ RO (at least partially) at some point.

Beware of the Fluoride, though. That shit'll kill ya.

(If you think I'm joking, go read a few books by board-certified neurosurgeon Dr. Russell Blaylock. What you don't know can hurt you.)

...Hey, where'd everyone go since I peeked in last? Seems like we're missing a few regulars around here... are some folks takin' a break or somethin'?

Hmmm. Am I reading this right? By the time it gets to your tap (table 2), you've got some moderately hard water (270 ppm) and your TDS is rather up there, Munki. While your Cal/Mag by itself seems workable, anything over 200 (total) can start to cause problems. I'm thinking you may find it necessary to cut it w/ RO (at least partially) at some point.

I'll keep that in mind as I have RO water handy, but didn't want to use it alone since it is devoid of minerals. Figured it would leach them out of the soil and my plant.

...Hey, where'd everyone go since I peeked in last? Seems like we're missing a few regulars around here... are some folks takin' a break or somethin'?

I cannot speak to that subject as I am just a community member these days. I just try to focus growing and sharing my experiences. Send a PM to 420 if you need to know more.

:peacetwo: my brother!

Day 14, afternoon. Ahh, the weather is looking up for the little one. Had good sun the past couple of days, with warm and sunny conditions predicted across the next 10 day forecast. Everything is going so smoothly for her so far.

Gave a good whiff near the top and she is starting to smell oh so good already! :dreamy:

062611-pic1.JPG
062611-pic2.JPG
062611-pic3.JPG

Hey Munki! That is a healthy looking 14 day old you have there!

What is the approximate seed to weed time for the RR strain?

Back
Top Bottom