Munki's "Al Naturale" Autoflower Outdoor Escursion - 2011

Hey Munki! That is a healthy looking 14 day old you have there!

What is the approximate seed to weed time for the RR strain?

From what I've read, it should be around 65 days. We shall see. She could use additional light, but I wanted to go all natural if possible. Supposedly great in coco in case you were thinking of going this route in the future.

Munki, your babies are looking wonderful brother, nice and green and healthy. They should start showing signs in the next week. Keep up the marvelous work brother.:adore:

Thanks GMT. I can already see the next set of leaves starting to form. She is really taking off now though not tall at all.

We have done all ours in soil, the same mix for years now. 25% FFOF and 75% Promix/Sunshine mix. My idea was to get the auto's as tall as possible in the first few weeks, before they flipped to flowering, thereby increasing the amount of bud they can produce. Just a theory. Many of ours simply stayed short and squat, not producing much bud. The bud was of good quality, just not large production. But it is difficult to mix AF with regular strains in the same grow enviroment. Almost need seperate grow rooms for the two. A friend of ours we helped to get started went with AF at first, just so they had a crop to harvest early. It also helped to get them used to growing indoors, before they delved into regular strains. It also gave them a little extra money from overages to be able to purchase additional equipment. They grew Pakistani Riders and the smoke turned out very good indeed. I think they ended up around the norm, 2-3 ozs per plant. Keep em green bother, looking forward to their rapid growth from here on out.

Day 16, afternoon. Humming right along.

062811-pic1.JPG

062811-pic2.JPG
062811-pic3.JPG

We have done all ours in soil, the same mix for years now. 25% FFOF and 75% Promix/Sunshine mix. My idea was to get the auto's as tall as possible in the first few weeks, before they flipped to flowering, thereby increasing the amount of bud they can produce. Just a theory. Many of ours simply stayed short and squat, not producing much bud. The bud was of good quality, just not large production. But it is difficult to mix AF with regular strains in the same grow enviroment. Almost need seperate grow rooms for the two. A friend of ours we helped to get started went with AF at first, just so they had a crop to harvest early. It also helped to get them used to growing indoors, before they delved into regular strains. It also gave them a little extra money from overages to be able to purchase additional equipment. They grew Pakistani Riders and the smoke turned out very good indeed. I think they ended up around the norm, 2-3 ozs per plant. Keep em green bother, looking forward to their rapid growth from here on out.

Looks like she is growing quicker now that she has increased her leaf mass. I figure that when the leaves aren't growing very quickly that the plant is spending its energy growing out the roots.

Appreciate the sharing of your experiences, GMT.

Looks like she is growing quicker now that she has increased her leaf mass. I figure that when the leaves aren't growing very quickly that the plant is spending its energy growing out the roots.

Appreciate the sharing of your experiences, GMT.

I've read that two AFs of the same strain grown side by side, one in a small pot and one in a larger one... the one in the smaller pot will grow/mature faster - but the one in the larger pot will grow bigger.

I do not know if it is true or not.

I think the AF that I read of producing 208 grams was grown in mother nature's pot.

Who knows? I find myself sober in every sense of the word. It makes things fuzzy.

I've read that two AFs of the same strain grown side by side, one in a small pot and one in a larger one... the one in the smaller pot will grow/mature faster - but the one in the larger pot will grow bigger.

I do not know if it is true or not.

I think the AF that I read of producing 208 grams was grown in mother nature's pot.

Who knows? I find myself sober in every sense of the word. It makes things fuzzy.

Noted. I won't be able to substantively add to that as one plant in a unique environment cannot prove or disprove anything (as you well know).

BTW, she is showing little growing nubs where each petiole splits from the main trunk now. Let the branching begin! :yahoo:

Day 18, afternoon. I came home to the first setback. The plant suffered from an animal attack. Could have been my dog; I'm not sure. Found the plant towards the edge of the pot with the leaf surfaces up and a hole dug on the other side that cast the plant to the opposite side. Did not get a pic since I was kind of panicked at the time. Straightened and centered the plant and put the soil back around the base. Gave it a good watering to settle the soil. Pics show the 90 degree bend the stem developed from being in its last position. I think it will recover, but I may need to put it on a pedestal and/or put some kind of screen around it to keep out curious animals. :rollingeyes:

063011-pic1.JPG
063011-pic2.JPG
063011-pic3.JPG

Sorry to hear about your little one Munki. Hopefully it will make a swift recovery! If you have any Superthrive I'd say put a few drops into your next waterings. That stuff works wonders for plants in shock.
Also, a little wire cage around the pot might not be a bad idea. My dog loves herb and can't be trusted. I once came home to find every single leaf eaten off a plant I had on my balcony. All that was left was a 2ft skeleton of a plant and a happy puppy.

Ouch - sorry to hear about your plant. I have a cat that's drawn to them like catnip, but they're locked up away from kitty, and she knows not to try anything when I'm attending to them. Hopefully she'll recover just fine for you.

I've got an autoflower going right now in a single hydrobucket that's a great size - about 25-26" tall, 31" around. It's a pot shrub! Can't wait to see what yours does under the sun. I'm sure she'll be fine as long as you can prevent any more attacks - seems like a wire cage of some sort might be the thing to do as LOJ suggested.

:goodluck:

¼"- or ½"-hole hardware cloth (it's made of galvanized wire) works against most four-legged animals and birds and can be found in any hardware store (the good ones sell it by the foot) and most department store type places such as Lowes or Home Depot (but you might have to purchase it by the roll there?). In consideration of the fact that some of them might be large enough to knock the wire cage off, you might wish to either affix it to the pot or to construct a cage large enough to enclose the pot instead of just sitting on top of it and covering the plant.

Welded wire would probably work as well, but it's harder to work with as it's thicker, it's more expensive, the holes are usually larger, and it's probably overkill for this application.

I think you are speaking of chloramine. I think they have used it but I do not see it listed on the chart.

Does anyone see an issue with the water quality or the balance of nutrients like Calcium to Magnesium ratios? I don't see a particular issue myself and I know other plant species do grow from this municipal source in the neighborhood.
Good water, Munki. One to six Mg to Ca is normal.
My muni water is very similar, and I no longer worry about it.

Glad to have found your journal of this little grow, Munki.
Just enough drama to keep one baby from being boring :)
My cat is welcome to graze 'n puke on lower leaves grown-over in the shade, but...
He tries to munch baby clonage and we have issues :slide:

Sorry to hear about your little one Munki. Hopefully it will make a swift recovery! If you have any Superthrive I'd say put a few drops into your next waterings. That stuff works wonders for plants in shock.
Also, a little wire cage around the pot might not be a bad idea. My dog loves herb and can't be trusted. I once came home to find every single leaf eaten off a plant I had on my balcony. All that was left was a 2ft skeleton of a plant and a happy puppy.
Ouch - sorry to hear about your plant. I have a cat that's drawn to them like catnip, but they're locked up away from kitty, and she knows not to try anything when I'm attending to them. Hopefully she'll recover just fine for you.

I've got an autoflower going right now in a single hydrobucket that's a great size - about 25-26" tall, 31" around. It's a pot shrub! Can't wait to see what yours does under the sun. I'm sure she'll be fine as long as you can prevent any more attacks - seems like a wire cage of some sort might be the thing to do as LOJ suggested.

:goodluck:
I go with concertina wire and electric fencing :rofl:
¼"- or ½"-hole hardware cloth (it's made of galvanized wire) works against most four-legged animals and birds and can be found in any hardware store (the good ones sell it by the foot) and most department store type places such as Lowes or Home Depot (but you might have to purchase it by the roll there?). In consideration of the fact that some of them might be large enough to knock the wire cage off, you might wish to either affix it to the pot or to construct a cage large enough to enclose the pot instead of just sitting on top of it and covering the plant.

Welded wire would probably work as well, but it's harder to work with as it's thicker, it's more expensive, the holes are usually larger, and it's probably overkill for this application.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I may have some screen left from my ScrOG grow in 2009. As long as the animals cannot pass the barrier, I should be good.

I put the plant on a small table only about 1 foot high. That takes the plant higher than my dog can see and the table surface is only about as big as the pot. I put the plant in a grassy area in the morning, then move it to where I take the pics in the afternoon to catch the later light.

Good water, Munki. One to six Mg to Ca is normal.
My muni water is very similar, and I no longer worry about it.

Glad to have found your journal of this little grow, Munki.
Just enough drama to keep one baby from being boring :)
My cat is welcome to graze 'n puke on lower leaves grown-over in the shade, but...
He tries to munch baby clonage and we have issues :slide:

Glad to hear that your analysis of my water supply is good. I was thinking of cutting it with RO water in a couple of weeks especially when I add nutrients.

Nice to have you along for the journey, Propa!

Day 19, morning. I wanted to get some quick pics of how she looked when I woke up this morning. She did a good job righting herself given the circumstances. She looked even better this afternoon; will have the regular update tomorrow.

Lighting is from the camera flash. Water on the leaves is morning dew. Normally if I thought it would be a clear morning, I would take the plant indoors to avoid this but I did not want to disturb her.

Most nights in June are cloudy and prevent the dew point being reached. July is another matter....

070111-pic1.JPG

070111-pic2.JPG

Tiny little fooker, lol. Hard to believe in 50(+/-) days it'll be a budsicle.

Cute though.

Tiny little fooker, lol. Hard to believe in 50(+/-) days it'll be a budsicle.

Cute though.

Yeah, I know! Thought it was a good choice for my first foray outside. Free seed, small plant, and quick grow.

In all honesty, I did autos indoors, but with a 63w LED, it wasn't expensive running 24/0 all the way through chop (which maximizes yield). Now with a big tent with 9 plants, running autos isn't a awesome indoor idea anymore; but they are *perfect* for outdoor runs for sure! :nicethread:

In all honesty, I did autos indoors, but with a 63w LED, it wasn't expensive running 24/0 all the way through chop (which maximizes yield). Now with a big tent with 9 plants, running autos isn't a awesome indoor idea anymore; but they are *perfect* for outdoor runs for sure! :nicethread:

Smallest LED unit I have is a 144 watt but in actuality, it consumes a higher wattage from the wall. Unit has 144, 1 watt LEDs but the power supplies in it are not 100% efficient in the AC to DC conversion.

Still, I really like the full light spectrum the sun gives plus it has the magic of UV-B that will make the best quality resins! If I could setup my ideal grow room, it would be a greenhouse made with UV-B transmissive glass or plastic that also had some HID lighting to augment the light cycle. Having to spend money on electricity on lights when the sun is shining outside is so wasteful and not very GREEN!

We gotta do what we gotta do in our own situations, however.

:skeptical:

Day 20, evening. Whew! It was warm and sunning all day today. The little lady is diggin' the weather for sure.

070211-pic1.JPG
070211-pic2.JPG
070211-pic3.JPG

Back
Top Bottom