My First Grow

Hey OG, I got your PM. Thanks for looking out!!

This may only be a temporary solution right now. Also, I ensured that the wattage of the AC adapters matches the fans.

I used the wire connectors, but I have also insulated with electrical tape :)

Update

The temps dropped down to 82. From what I have read, the low 80's is substantial

As for the humidity, it has not gone up yet....have two water dishes in there, along with the moist towel

Thoughts on covering my baby with a bag, enough to hold in the moisture and allow airflow?

Update

Temperature has now reached 81 Farenheit / 27 degrees Celsius

Added a bowl with a little bit of water that was warmed up on the stove...hoping this helps

Also sprayed the insulation with water as well (very glad I didn't use Mylar now!)

Another option for a cheap source of fans is Goodwill. The store I stopped in yesterday had a ton of them available including oscillating ones. Picked 2 up for 4.99 each. Only needed one but the price was to good to pass up.

Thats awesome OG, thanks for bringing that up. I love me some thrift shopping but for whatever reason didnt even think to go there for a fan.. Next time im out!

@ slenderman, Glad to see you being responsible, using your head.. Saftey is always number 1. Props and +rep for not burning down the neighborhood (yet. And ganjagod willing never!) giving mj opposers something to hold against us.:Namaste:

I'm going to be making a stop there for sure this week as well!!

Looks like having some tech skills come in handy for this. Installing a bunch of things before and wiring them, I've learned a lot

Now, learning how to plant! LoL!

I too had low humidity until I potted up. I'm using 7 gallon fabric Smart pots and once I had all that moist surface area in my grow room the humidity jumped up and now ranges between 48% - 60%. Might be a tad low for optimum veg but the plants don't seem to mind and I'd rather have lower humidity than fight problems associated with high humidity. Good luck with your grow!

I feared no humidity too, current 25f outside. Current and average of 25-30% in my rooms, bagseed doesnt seeem to be affected, tho im sure deep down scientifically it is and would love some wet air. But theyre growing?
Id also suggest sticking with indicas as theyre more suitable for dry climates.

Edit: i lied, current RH 16% in flower. Maybe i should worry:bitingnails:

Update

My first seedling (Squirrel) appears to be leaning off to the side....noticed that the stem is really purple

image2851.jpeg

My second seedling (Eva) looks pale and weak

image2852.jpeg

The temperature is at 81 degrees / 27 degrees....humidity still low

image2849.jpeg

Managed to get the temps down to 26.8 Celsius

Humidity reached 24% but had started tapering off. Powered off one of the exhaust fans to help in keeping humidity lower

It is so early in the game, remember to take a deep breath every time you feel like it is an emergency and remember, soil is much more forgiving then hydro so you have time to deal with anything that comes up. Right now those little girls are establishing their roots so they can begin to work on whats above the ground. Remember patience is your friend, rushing and not being patient are your enemies. Not sure if anyone has mentioned, how are you watering your plants? how much, how often and what exactly are you giving them. If you know the ph of your water, what is it? How do you determine that it is time to water? At this stage of the game, actually through the whole plants life for that matter, it is better to under water then over water. When I say that I do not mean small drinks for the girls a lot instead of big drinks. And I do not mean wait 5 days between watering either. There are many factors that come into play with watering. So tell me how you do it and we will get you up to speed on what you need to know to be successful.

Hey OG!

So, I know I'm supposed to water just a little bit every few days...but where I'm at, it's quite dry.

If I stick my fingers in the soil just a couple of inches, it's dry after a day.

When I water, I just spray a tiny little bit on top just to keep it moist and enough to get down to the roots. As for the PH level....I'm not sure. Have to buy one of them gadgets

The water has been boiled, and left out in the open to let the chlorine get out, and then put through a filter.

Now that I have isolated my humidity problem, I shouldn't have to water the plants much

Update

The temperature is dropped down to 25.8 Celsius (78.4 Farenheit)

Humidity did reach 34%, but has went down to 30%

Update

Temperature is maintaining the 25.8 Celsius (78.4 Farenheit) mark

Humidity is at 24%

I have added a couple moist towels in the box, hanging them for more surface area

Eva is starting to gain some purple coloring on her stem, and the cotydelon is slightly opening

Squirrel is just lounging....no status change (dark green leaves)

Will post pics in the morning

Hey OG!

So, I know I'm supposed to water just a little bit every few days...but where I'm at, it's quite dry.

If I stick my fingers in the soil just a couple of inches, it's dry after a day.

When I water, I just spray a tiny little bit on top just to keep it moist and enough to get down to the roots. As for the PH level....I'm not sure. Have to buy one of them gadgets

The water has been boiled, and left out in the open to let the chlorine get out, and then put through a filter.

Now that I have isolated my humidity problem, I shouldn't have to water the plants much

Please stop watering every day, even a little bit. You will kill her with root rot. Think about this for a sec. In nature does it rain a little bit every day? Not likely, though technically there are a few places on the planet it does. What you want to do is this. Let her dry out completely right to the very instant she begins to wilt and look all droopy from lack of water. Then water her and wait till she is back to that droopy appearance again. Now if you keep track of how long it took for her to start drooping you can start beating her to the punchline. Example, in my garden, the plants in my flower tent take 3 1/2 days to get to the point they start wilting and the leaves all start drooping towards the floor. I wait 3 1/4 days then to water. The reason for that is because I want the roots to get a chance to get air so they do not root rot. Now I do not just walk in and dump my feed in with out doing a lift test. Much harder to do by the way when they are under a SCROG. I lift up on the pots and can feel if they are light enough to water.
Always gently add the water so all the soil in the pot gets wet. You do not want dry pockets so add the water in a circular motion around the top to get everything wet. NEVER just dump it all in in one spot. This causes trenching or digging of the soil and can expose roots.
Now how much water do you need to add each watering. As a general rule of thumb, you want to slowly add water until you get drainage coming out the bottom of the pot all the way around. Then do not leave that water in the tray, get it out of there either with a shop vac or put the to on a different tray and empty the one with the water, or even a sponge will work. Does the tray have to be perfectly dry, naw but you do want to get up as much as possible.

Now while the whole concept of letting your plant go without water to the point it starts drooping may sound crazy, this method will stress her slightly, but it a far safer way to learn when the exact time to water is then by over watering and creating root rot. One method stresses the girl a little, the other potentially kills her. After you use this method a while you will gather a sense of when you need to water and not over water. It is called practical experience and after a while you will have developed it. That is where patiences come into play.

I know you are only doing what you think she wants but trust me, you will kill her if you water her a little every day. Even when the top of the pot appears to be bone dry, there can be lots of moisture for her to drink further down in the pot. That is why it is so import to learn how much your pot weighs with no water verses when it is only 1/2 or 1/4 of the way to being dry. The great part for you is soil is very light, where as water is very heavy, over 8 ponds a gallon. Say your pot holds 1 pint of water when completely watered thoroughly. That means it will be 1 pound heavier then the same size pot with dry soil. When it only weighs a 1/4 pound more then the pot with dry soil, it appears to be ready but in reality it still has 1/4 of a pint of water in there for the plant to drink which is more then plenty. If you just can not get the difference of a mere 1/4 pound, grab a kitchen scale and weigh both. The plant itself weighs nothing at this stage.

Hope you understand what I am trying to say, I know I suck at communicating.

Back
Top Bottom