Applegate's 1st Grow - Tangerine Dream & Jack Herer

applegate

How many times have I referenced other grow journals on this site? A lot. I've learned so much from reading the advice so generously given here and as a first time grower much of it has been invaluable!

I'm not a smoker. Not that I don't have distant past experience with marijuana, but for professional reasons I choose not to partake at this time...but retirement looms on the horizon and I suspect things could be different for me then. My husband has medical issues to the extent he has qualified for a card. And I'm a die hard gardener who specializes in growing thing that normally don't grow in our northern climate. So what better to keep my hands in the dirt over the long, cold winter than an indoor weed grow?

Although I'm holding a variety of seed strains, I decided to start with 2 Tangerine Dream and 2 Jack Herer believing that they might be similiar in height at finish. The strains were choosen based on the reported medicinal effects but I wish I'd done more research before ordering the seeds as I see many people report the TDs are finicky and better suited to an experienced grower. I'm up for the challenge and I welcome any advice as I work my way through this process.

We started by walling off a 7' x 9' in the basement. There are humidity issues in the basement and it is unheated but holds steady at 55 degrees year round.

I started the seeds with the paper towel method - 3 popped within 24 hours and I planted them in seedling mix. 24 hours after that, all showed signs of germination.

I kept the babies under a regular fluorescent shop light (with a little full spectrum T5 table lamp as a supplement) and on a germination warming mat (set at 80 degrees) for the first two weeks. The pictures were taken today - the two week mark.

I fired up a 1000 w MH in the grow room to see where the temperature stabilized - 74 degrees/44% humidity. After the readings were consistent for 6 straight hours I moved the babies into the grow room this evening. So far they look happy. I'll be watching them closely these next couple days alert for any distress. Once they are adjusted, I'll repot them into 7 gallon fabric grow pots. Currently using weak applications of Botanicare pure blend nutes. I'm nervous about playing mad scientist with the additives as I try to build experience. Assuming all 4 seedlings survive, I plan to let one of each go as natural as possible just I get a feel what each strain naturally wants to do. I'll experiment with the second one - maybe play with topping or tying down.

Anyway - Thanks if you stopped in to take a peek.

egg_008.JPG
egg_007.JPG
egg_006.JPG
egg_005.JPG

What a difference 5 days make! The plants settled in well under the 1000k light. Started the hood at about 30 inches above them and have lowered the light day by day until it hit 18 inches. Running a fan for breeze and an in-line exhast at low speed and am holding at 77-79 degrees. The humidity, which was a huge worry as we started to build the grow room in our seasonally wet basement, dropped to 35%. I did some down and dirty research on raising humidity cheaply and simply and ending up digging out the vaporizer that we used to use when the kids were sick. Despite running 24 hours a day, the humidity is only up to 40%.

But, I'm not gonna freak. I hit the books again and see that many do not believe humidity on the low end has a huge negative impact. There are others who believe higher humidity is essential for vegging. I'm going forward hoping the lower humidity will be okay.

Today I repotted them in 7 gallon fabric containers. (The seeds were planted 19 days ago). I'm using Happy Frog Ocean Forest. My tap water is hard (430s) so I started the plants with distilled water supplemented with a weak application of Bonanicare Grow, Liquid Karma and Cal/Mag. Two days after the plants settled under the stronger light I adjusted the water - 1/2 tap water and 1/2 distilled and slightly increased the nutes. I'll probably increase the ratio of tap water as time progresses unless anyone's advice convinces me otherwise.

The Tangerines already have an odor! You have to get your nose right in there but there it is! The Jacks don't have a trace of scent yet. They are Vision seeds, not the legendary Sensi seeds, but I think the plants look great. The Tangerine Dreams are Barney's seeds.

I am so excited! I looked at so many grow journals as we started formulating our plan to home grow and I really appreciated people that took the time to post pictures of vegitative growth. Of course, everybody is impressed and blown away with all the awesome flower shots, but when you're just starting out you want to see everything - from start to finish. I hope somebody else out there will enjoy seeing plants grow. Just keep your fingers crossed that they continue to grow! So far, so good!
October_30th_2015_001.JPG
October_30th_2015_003.JPG
October_30th_2015_004.JPG
October_30th_2015_006.JPG
October_30th_2015_007.JPG
October_30th_2015_008.JPG
October_30th_2015_010.JPG
October_30th_2015_011.JPG
October_30th_2015_014.JPG
October_30th_2015_015.JPG
October_30th_2015_016.JPG
October_30th_2015_017.JPG

The girls will be 4 months old tomorrow and they are growing, well...like weeds! I'll bet that's something nobody has ever said around here! :) I am so blown away by how fast these plants grow! It reminds me of what I've heard of the Iowa corn fields - that if you had the time and paitence to sit and watch a corn field you can actually see it grow before your eyes. I can totally see how growing MJ could become an addictive hobby.

The plants are running between 7 1/2 and 9 inches tall and have good branch growth, especially one of the Tangerine Dreams. That particular plant has some guns on her. I posted in the grower's forum seeking advice on training and was told in no uncertain terms that I may have ruined the whole grow by planting small plants in large containers and I hope that isn't the case. I think the girls have settled into their new cribs happily. I guess time will tell.

I do have two Exhale bags in the immediate grow area. I know some growers aren't impressed by their output but I figured they couldn't hurt. I'm planning to pinch a couple of the plants tonight and I'm feeling rather brave about. When I started to garden years ago (veggies and flowers) I couldn't bring myself pinch young plants even though I knew they would be bushier and more robust. I couldn't bear to weed out flowers that had self seeded a mass of spring babies. But as time went on I grew more adept at the ruthless and necessary part of growing things and now don't have a second thought about chopping off all their leafy little heads with my hoe. I pinch zinnias like a boss. So I'm looking forward to seeing how these plants respond to a little tough love.
d_november_6_2015_007.JPG
d_november_6_2015_006.JPG
d_november_6_2015_005.JPG
d_november_6_2015_003.JPG
d_november_6_2015_002.JPG

They're looking solid! Great start for sure.

How do you like grow bags vs plastic pots? IMO I prefer the bags I personally have about 6 or 7 of them, used them on my last run and they're great.

Fabulous looking plants!
Im definitely pulling up a chair for this one! Im excited to see the pinching and recovery too.

I too am curious about your feelings on the fabric/bag pots..
Just repoted a 3weeker into a 2gal fabric pot. I love the concept, but cant say the same for the bag. Wish itd hold its shape better.

Hey DSXJ - Thanks for taking a look!

I'm really liking the Smart pots and am glad I got the ones with the handles. They're a new experience for me - I've always started all my veggies and flowers in plastic but the fabric pots seem to keep the soil perfectly moist and I think the wicking nature of the fabric have helped with the low humidity in the grow room. Since repotting into the Smart pots I'm holding a steady 60% which is good for the time being. Was there any issue with your grow bags and humidity during flowering on your previous grow?

Gosh DankWolf, I PACKED the soil into the bag to the halfway mark which set up a firm foundation and gave shape to the bag and then set the young plant in the middle and filled in the edges. If I use the handles to turn the bags there is a little shifting in the soil but it's not bad. Overall, I'm impressed with the bags.

Thanks so much your kind comments.

Yeah, i tend to not pack my pots, just loosely fill with dirt and let gravity with the aid of water do the packing.
Suppose my bag o dirt doesnt look too much different then yours, (the separation between bag n dirt) which isnt all that different from a plastic pot. Will just take some getting used to.

I also noticed the assist in holding my humidity up. Cool dry air in these parts and this 1 bag added 10%easy. Kinda wish i had purchased more then one bag now :)

There was one grow here I logged that I did start to get a minor musty smell during the last few weeks of flower but I couldn't find any mold when I did the trim. It could've just been the scent from the plant for the last two weeks or it could be because of the bags. Luckily I didn't have any more issues with them the grow after so maybe it was not the bags? lol

My humidity levels have always been fine but my temperatures in my little tent iwht my 600w was a bit too much, so I up'd her to the 4x4x6

It's been 2 days since I FIMMED two of the plants and both look good - BUT the girl I affectionately call Big Jack because of her chubby robustness (10 inches tall with an 18 inch wingspan) looks like she's going to give multiples at the cut site. The top knot on Big Jack was beefy and I cut as low as I thought I could go but maybe I didn't get the whole growth tip. I'll wait a couple days to determine if I need to get in there and do some more surgery.

In the photos below you can see the Tangerine Dream has a scab at the cut site. Big Jack looks completely different.

e_november_8_2015_001.JPG
e_november_8_2015_003.JPG
e_november_8_2015_005.JPG

Firstly - here's to a day of peace and honor for all who have or are serving this great country and to those who keep the home fires burning for the men and women in our military. Salute!

Secondly - I put four seeds in soil on October 11th so today is their official one month birthday!

A little drama this week as the furnance, which is 8 feet from the grow room, needed service and these girls are starting to stink. This is a legal grow but we're in a small town and MJ continues to be controversial and there's no reason to draw unwanted attention. So the first leg of the filtration system was installed which has cured the occasional whiff that could be smelled on the first floor when the furnance kicked on. If our HVAC guy was wise, he didn't tip his hand.

SEEKING ADVICE on the FIM job on the Jack Herer! There are multiples coming up at the cut site with almost no spacing between the nodes so the cut site is staying very flat but it shows no sign of stopping. Should I get in there and try to clip the center? It's almost unbelievable that Big Jack continues to push new top growth considering how low I clipped her top knot. I fimmed one of the Tangerine Dreams and it looks like you'd expect it to look - 4 top branches. But the Jack...what to do...what to do?

f_November_11_2015_006.JPG
f_November_11_2015_007.JPG
f_November_11_2015_005.JPG
f_November_11_2015_004.JPG
f_November_11_2015_008.JPG
f_November_11_2015_009.JPG
f_November_11_2015_011.JPG

Lovely looking plants!

If you give them love & take care of them daily...you're gonna love the journey & the end result! You are doing fantastically well & all the best for you & your hubby.

:thumb:

!. Thank you for honoring our veterans!

2. If you think the plants put out a smell now, just wait until you are weeks into flower. They will smell.

3. Let the FIM'd plant get over the shock and catch up. If you don't have a branch or two stretching up, you probably did it right and will see multiple branches reach out once it gets over the shock.

Looking great! Keep on doing what you are doing! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom