😬
Soo, it turns out I haven't been feeding her 1.5g per litre.
When I emptied the bottle I've been using for her nutes I looked in and there was between 0.5g and 1g of MC stuck to the side. It hadn't fully dissolved.
I've used a transparent bottle this time, so I can see it's dissolved this time.

Still hungry.

Jack Herer- day 23
Still hungry judging by the tips of her leaves. I'll give her another dose of the stronger MC this evening.

Skywalker OG- day 14
I hate that algae. I'm going to get some peroxide in the morning. The stuff in the cupboard has apparently degraded into water.

Jack Herer- day 24
Working on her seventh node.

Skywalker OG- day 15
I really meant to have her transplanted by now. I'll get on that this afternoon.

That didn't go quite as badly as I thought it would.
Of course it didn't exactly go well.
Lesson learned though, never transplant hempy before it's rootbound. I don't know how long it'll take for Skywalker OG to recover.

I guess it might be easier in solo cups, but even then the perlite will fall to bits as it comes out.
After seeing the great growth you're getting in those bottles I might go that route this winter when I make Candida seeds in the tent. Much quicker than soil, and if I start them in perlite it would be a breeze to upcan from solo cups.
Depends on how big you want them I guess. It might be easier to just put a hole in the cups and grow them as perlite hempies. That way you can let them get a better root system before transplant so they have a chance of holding the rootball together.
I transplanted early because of my poor choice of starting bottles. The sides were curved, so the opening was smaller than the diameter of the centre. Next time I'll use something with straight sides and let it get at least a little rootbound.

It might be easier to just put a hole in the cups and grow them as perlite hempies.
I have holes in my perlite cups, so I guess they are already hempies! The only difference with mine is the stem is right down at the res which is where the roots grow, so all the roots would be in the res rather than any perlite above it. I think I would replant it higher in the perlite after that to give the roots someplace to go other than just the 3/4" below the hole.

I have holes in my perlite cups, so I guess they are already hempies! The only difference with mine is the stem is right down at the res which is where the roots grow, so all the roots would be in the res rather than any perlite above it. I think I would replant it higher in the perlite after that to give the roots someplace to go other than just the 3/4" below the hole.
I never realized you didn't get rooting higher up as well. I guess it's not wet enough?
@bluter says 1litre of hempy is equivalent to 1gallon of soil, so I'd use that as a guide.
And I'm realizing you already transplant them into soil, so perlite should be no problem for you, lol. One thing I had a problem with is how little support the perlite gives the stem when backfilling the container.

Jack Herer- day 24
Working on her seventh node.

Skywalker OG- day 15
I really meant to have her transplanted by now. I'll get on that this afternoon.

You're slaying it growmie!
:bravo:

Hempy is not easy, but you're making it look that way. 🤙
:welldone:

Skywalker OG seems happy in her new home.
That fresh white perlite shows that the MC has been slowly staining Jack Herer's perlite.
Has anyone tried a fill tube, like they use in a SIP? I still think there's probably a benefit to watering these like soil, wetting the entire surface and letting the water hit all the roots on the way down, but if I had OCD about cleanliness the staining might bother me.

Jack Herer- day 25

Skywalker OG- day 16

Good to know! I can go with a taller container so more stem is buried and still leave enough room between the bottom of the stem and the res. :thanks:
Sounds good to me!
You're slaying it growmie!
:bravo:

Hempy is not easy, but you're making it look that way. 🤙
:welldone:
Thanks Preston!
I have the benefit of all the hempy journals on here, and @bluter and @Braddah Waiheesohai watching to yell at me if I start doing something dumb!

don't worry about the staining, it's no issue.

a tube to the res in hempy is not needed and may hamper the plant growth. it runs the same as a sip, but the media is less dense. it's the media in a sip that requires a tube. watering from above in hempy ensures it gets to all the roots, and pulls a greater amount of oxygen than would happen with a tube installed.

Fed both today, 1.75g per litre MC.
I'm planning to flip them in a week, or when Skywalker OG is big enough.
Unless Jack Herer gets too big of course.
Either way, it won't be long.

Jack Herer- day 26

Skywalker OG- day 17

don't worry about the staining, it's no issue.

a tube to the res in hempy is not needed and may hamper the plant growth. it runs the same as a sip, but the media is less dense. it's the media in a sip that requires a tube. watering from above in hempy ensures it gets to all the roots, and pulls a greater amount of oxygen than would happen with a tube installed.
Thanks Bluter!
Or Blu-ray as autocorrect tried to put in, lol!

I'm not sure Jack Herer is going to let me wait more than 2 or 3 days before I flip them.

Jack Herer- day 27

Skywalker OG- day 18

They grow up so fast....

:laughtwo:
It's good to see!

I was thinking I would flip in a couple days, but today is their last day of 18/6.
Jack Herer has reminded me that she's the main show here, and Skywalker OG is the side plant, lol!

Jack Herer- day 28
Exactly 4 weeks of veg.

Skywalker OG- day 19

First night of 12/12 and I feel like she already stretched some, lol!
I know it's just my imagination, but she is trying to fill the tent.

Jack Herer- day 29

Skywalker OG- day 20

They're looking great Mel 👍
Thanks Roy!
How long did you veg your coco Jack for? I checked your journal, but I didn't see it.
"A side plant." :laugh:
Well, she is :D

First night of 12/12 and I feel like she already stretched some, lol!
I know it's just my imagination, but she is trying to fill the tent.

Jack Herer- day 29

Skywalker OG- day 20

Thanks Roy!
How long did you veg your coco Jack for? I checked your journal, but I didn't see it.

Well, she is :D
Plants grow like crazy in hempy! Looking forward! :Rasta:

Just be forewarned about having a side plant, many of them can be high-maintenance! :)

Back
Top Bottom