Hempy Jack Herer - CFL Cab

NDERGROUND

hello all. first timer here.

I'll be using seeds i found in some jack herer acquired from a medical clinic in LA. which is unheard of, only time i've seen seeds in medical mj, and i was excited to find them, thats some fancy genetics. but then i realized i dont know who the daddy is, so who knows exactly... but regardless it should be good. i have 20 seeds picked from 5 grams. i am germing 10 of them with hoping for 3 or 4 strong females. they are germing now and after about a 15 hour soak and about 6 hours in paper towels 5 have cracked. :yahoo:

i've decided to go with hempy buckets and i'm using blue planet nutrient's 3 part plus bloom booster. i actually ordered the 3-part (grow micro bloom) in quarts and the bloom booster came with it. they seem like a cool company and have come highly recommended by some. plus they're relatively cheap.

i've built a 'semi-stealth' cabinet out of a dresser i found. its pretty straight forward, but i snapped a few pics to show you how i went about it. all the wood was either recycled from the dresser or otherwise found or was left over.

IMG_29113.JPG

IMG_29131.JPG

cfl fixture made out of a vanity fixture from HD. i screwed it to a plank from a drawer and used 45* brackets (bendable ones, i made sure they really were at 45*) to attatch pieces of centra to use as reflectores, and covered those in reflective tape. centra is a plastic sheeting material, we use it a lot at work and i snagged a scrap.

IMG_29101.JPG

this is the intake light trap, to be installed externally. air can turn but light can not. black gator foam (like foam core but stronger) with hot glue and some black gaffers tape. the hole saw there is just placed where the hole will be on the cab.

IMG_29162.JPG

installed, with a piece of cloth as a filter for critters mostly.

IMG_29172.JPG

exhaust fan and light trap. this one doesnt have the light blocks like the other one but it works good enough. but this one is made with wood to be unscrewed apart so i can get the fan off or add more light blocking in the future. eventually i may get a carbon filter and install it on the outside. i also want to get a finger guard or something...

IMG_29183.JPG

IMG_29194.JPG

this is her on and pretty much done. still some light leaks at the door that i need to fix but that wont be important for a while.

IMG_29202.JPG

i couldn't find a tray that fit my exact size, so i just made the floor a tray. i but a second bottom shelf in at a slight angle, like raised a quarter inch at the back, and left a small trough in the front to collect runnoff from the pots. then covered the whole thing in thick poly.

IMG_29213.JPG

all covered in windshield reflectors

IMG_29152.JPG

gotta love cali

Re: hempy jack herer, CFL cab

Welcome to 420 Magazine, NDERGROUND! That's awesome you got some seeds from the Jack Herer and they're from a clinic! It is unlikely to find herbs with seeds from dispensary. Lucky man! Like your pick for nutrients. Blue Planet Nutrients is awesome. Great customer service, product, and price (as you noticed).

Good work on the DIY built. The light block vent is awesome. Hope you don't mind, I'll be following along.

Welcome to 420 Magazine, NDERGROUND! That's awesome you got some seeds from the Jack Herer and they're from a clinic! It is unlikely to find herbs with seeds from dispensary. Lucky man! Like your pick for nutrients. Blue Planet Nutrients is awesome. Great customer service, product, and price (as you noticed).

Good work on the DIY built. The light block vent is awesome. Hope you don't mind, I'll be following along.

thanks man, i was just checking out your current grow. much respect, thanks for tuning in. i'm sure i'll be seeking advice in the future from more experienced folks like yourself. this is such a great community with everybody spreading knowledge around, no egos or bullshit like you're used to seeing on the internet.

and yeah, jack herer has got to be one of my faves. in particular the stuff i got the seeds out of was outstanding, 10/10. i think it was one 5 gram bud. but do you think it could have been from a hermie? and if so what does that mean for the genetics? will the kids be hermies, or just weaker?

cheers

10/10 seeds germinated! in less than 24 hours. i soaked them in a shotglass with plain tap water overnight, then did the paper towel trick and stuck them in my oven. my oven uses a pilot light, so it stays a constant 85-90*. worked like a charm. i just put them all in jiffy pellets and back in the oven till i see some sprouty action.

heeeeeeeeere we go! off to buy a couple last little things (PH up n down, supathrive, maybe another CFL or two....) and my first grow has officially started!

Not sure if the clinic grew their meds or could have bought else where at wholesale price. Where it might of grown there could be many variables if it's crossed pollinated with another strain, or if it was in line breeding (same strain), self pollinated (hermie), or pollinated from a different hermie...haha lots of variables so the seeds you got have some Jack Herer genetics not 100%. Give or take on % of JH gene depends on what strain was the father. Don't stress too much on this and have fun growing out some seeds you got from the awesome 5g nug.

But to answer your question, the hermie seed (if it is) will have hermie gene but it's not necessary that it will grow out a hermie plant. The potency from hermie plants is debatable.

Good luck on your grow. It's blast off!

IMG_29332.jpg

IMG_29342.jpg

the cab finished and in its home, with babies.

well, a bumpy start this morning with the first day in the cab. i nearly cooked my infants. i had the germed seeds in jiffy cubes sitting in the oven as an incubator, and since 3 or 4 out of 10 had broken ground after one day i decided to put them under lights for today. i have one exhaust fan in my cab and one little fan inside for circulation, and i set the circulating fan to come on with the timer and failed to have the exhaust fan plugged in at all. anyway, it kicked on at 6am, the dawn time i'm establishing, and by the time i woke up and checked on them around 9:30 it was 110 DEGREES! oops! after turing on both fans, the temp dropped to 87 or so... then i took out the big 68watter, leaving just 2 23w and 1 27w 5500k and the temp stays at 82. which should be fine for now, but i need another fan to control these temps once i go to full lighting, up to 263w with the bulbs i have now, and with flexibility to expand. my fan says 110 cfm, and i calculated my space at 11.1something cubic feet. that means 10 exchanges per minute, right? my little light blocks certainly restrict some airflow, but that still seemed like it would be plenty to keep the air moving....

IMG_29363.JPG

IMG_29381.JPG

they looked pretty cooked. what a noob. but i kept checking on them and they seem to be doing good. 5/10 have either broken ground or are about to, and its only day 2 in the peat things. been misting with just 6.0ph water with 1ml/gal superthrive.

IMG_29393.JPG

i took out the big warm one for now. see the gaps in the reflector by the base of the big one? i designed it hoping to direct the air through the lights like that in order to keep the hot air moving out. but it looks like its not working quite like i planned... i ordered another fan, same size as my exhaust one, for the intake. hope that does it.

first days of my first grow... patience is a virtue.

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

hey guys

sorry for the hiatus. lifes been crazy and i got out of the habit, etc. eventually i kind of lost motivation to keep the grow journal going, feeling like my grow was nothing special and nothing everyone here hasn't already seen. i was pretty happy with my cab design and all that, and wanted to contribute to the community that i totally depend on for information but after a while i kinda lost the bug to share. but i just realized that i actually have some valuable information to share with the growing community, potentially quite valuable.

okay, so i last posted basically at the very beginning of my grow. i shared with you the noobie mistake of not running my cab first to make sure the temps were okay. i baked my infant seedlings at 110+ degrees before they even had a chance. at the point of baking them, 5 of 10 had popped their heads up. the other 5 were germinated but had not yet broken the surface. It turns out the the 5 that had already popped up survived, and the other 5 didnt. okay. so i said 'oops' and kept growing. growth was slow at first, i def. think the early shock stunted their growth.

this was basically bagseed though, not feminized, so i was nervous about if the strongest plants that made it were all going to be males. i've heard that males tend to be heartier than the females, so i thought i had could have just killed all the females and was possibly wasting all this vegging time raising a bunch of boys. so i patiently waited till they were big enough to switch but couldnt wait to see how many girls there were.

FIVE OUT OF FIVE WERE FEMALES! holy crap! thats the last thing i thought was going to happen. so was this just a fluke? i would love to see a more qualified grower conduct a little experiment with that information and see if exposing germinated seeds to heat in this way kills males faster than females and can therefore be used to 'weed out' the males of a crop before spending time and space and power growing them. but i guess the factor was that the ones that had sprouted survived, the ones that hadn't died. so is it possible that it means females predominately sprout earlier than males? if you know late sprouters are usually males, that is good to know.

anyway, the grow has been going great, im about 6 weeks into flowering and they're looking nice n healthy. no record breakers, but for my first grow i'm pretty amazed and i cant wait to see it finish.

i'm also really happy with blue planet nutes, not that i have anything to compare it too but the plants really respond to the feedings and i just followed the instructions and haven't had any problems at all.

hers a few pics:
IMG_29582.jpg

just a few days later, the surviving seedlings

IMG_3091.jpg

veggin out
IMG_30951.jpg

this is right when i kicked it into 12/12. i took some unscientific clones ( i was pruning some branches and said hell why not stick emm in some perlite see what happens. i gave em to a friend not sure if they're still around.
IMG_30962.JPG

canopy. just starting to flower.
IMG_31001.jpg

stems.

one more thing i wanted to add for anyone reading that was interested in my cabinet design; i ended up making an important modification in my fan placement.

first i had the one exhaust fan on top and the circulating fan. the temps were staying at 82 with less than half the lights i wanted to end up using later, so this was not enough ventilation.

IMG_29342.jpg

so i ordered another fan, the same kind as my exhaust fan, a 110 cfm 4.5 inch computer fan. i put this one in as an intake fan on the bottom intake hole. it helped, but not enough. the air was just getting blocked by my light hood that basically devided the space in two. i designed air gaps in it but it wasnt doing the trick.

so i actually ended up putting the intake fan on the light hood itself so it sucked the hot air right off the lights, and pushed into the upper part to be sucked out by the exhaust fan. this is the solution that really ended up working. temps haven't been an issue anymore, but the changing seasons outside helped as well.
IMG_3091.jpg

I Like your Cab. I'm about to a grow of my own, in a cabinet like yours. I'm thinking air pots with my grow. Wish we could have seen your grow all the way thru. They looks really nice tho :thumb:

thanks guys. i got a couple following even hiding out in the abandoned section! i know, i wish i would have kept up with it better now. the girls are looking good, just putting on more weight and i'm seeing some cloudy trichs. jack herer is supposed to be '50-70 days' flowering, and i'm right at about day 50. so its getting close but needs another couple weeks i'm thinking. gave them a heavy feeding today, maybe one more then i start to flush.

its a crowded cabinet, but i think i could have pruned them better. i topped and LST'd them expecting some males so they're spread out. in retrospect less branches would have been better, i have a lot of underdeveloped puny little buds down low i should have never let live. popcorn buds i guess they call em. but my pruning did control the height effectively, an issue with a sativa dominant strain in such a limited space. the colas are not huge, but they are numerous.

all in all, the cfl's have worked pretty well, but i do kinda feel like i'm in training wheels. they just dont have the punch HID lights do. its really hard for me to guess, but i'm just hoping for an ounce of dried buds out of these 5 plants. maybe an ounce and a half, but thats just my guess i really dont have any experience seeing a harvest through so its hard for me to say. i know i could have gotten more out of this setup, but this is my first grow and i'm just stoked it looks this good! i'll try and post pics tomorrow.

How many watts you running? I'm thinking 260w of cfl and 8 plants sog style trimming. the space is very similar to your, do you think that'd work? they are skywalker clones from my caregiver, most likely straight into 12/12.

How many watts you running? I'm thinking 260w of cfl and 8 plants sog style trimming. the space is very similar to your, do you think that'd work? they are skywalker clones from my caregiver, most likely straight into 12/12.

ummm its right around there. i did the math at about 260 originally but i dont think i have the exact bulb selection i did that math with. its somewhere in that nieghborhood. i think i'm rockin 6x26 watt daytime (5700k) and 2 big ol 68 or something watt warm ones (2700k). ideally i would have swapped out some more of the cool ones for warm ones for the flower but i never did. i think it may have helped a little with bud production, they seem to really like the big ol warm ones.

going straight to 12/12 could work well i think, one of my favorite setups on here is 420fied's 2 liter hempy SOG setup where he just gets these single cola baseball bats. CFL's have a harder time penetrating the canopy, so more but less bushy plants might be a good strategy. i love skywalker too, one of my favorite strains on the indica side of things, i was thinking about tracking down some clones myself for my next grow. which wont be immediate, i'm moving soon so we'll see what my next living situation will be...

well i guess i did my counting off last time, i'm at day 47 of flower now. or day 47 of 12 12 at least... (jack is supposed to finish 50-70 days) they're fattening up nicely, at least half cloudy trichs from what i can tell, but sometimes they're hard to tell apart w my cheap jewelers loop. none amber yet from what i can tell, but i'm keeping a close eye on it now we're getting close to the home stretch.

IMG_35872.JPG
IMG_35891.JPG
IMG_35901.jpg
IMG_35974.jpg
IMG_35992.JPG
IMG_36003.JPG
IMG_36011.JPG
IMG_36032.jpg
IMG_3605.jpg

ummm its right around there. i did the math at about 260 originally but i dont think i have the exact bulb selection i did that math with. its somewhere in that nieghborhood. i think i'm rockin 6x26 watt daytime (5700k) and 2 big ol 68 or something watt warm ones (2700k). ideally i would have swapped out some more of the cool ones for warm ones for the flower but i never did. i think it may have helped a little with bud production, they seem to really like the big ol warm ones.

going straight to 12/12 could work well i think, one of my favorite setups on here is 420fied's 2 liter hempy SOG setup where he just gets these single cola baseball bats. CFL's have a harder time penetrating the canopy, so more but less bushy plants might be a good strategy. i love skywalker too, one of my favorite strains on the indica side of things, i was thinking about tracking down some clones myself for my next grow. which wont be immediate, i'm moving soon so we'll see what my next living situation will be...

Ya, 420ied's SOG is exactly what I was thinking of when I mentioned that. Those single colas are nice. Thanks for your input. I think I'm ready to go ahead with it. I'm hoping to have the cab up and running b4 the new year. Goodluck with your new living situation and keep growing. :thanks:

BTW, your ladies look nice :goodjob:

Ya, 420ied's SOG is exactly what I was thinking of when I mentioned that. Those single colas are nice. Thanks for your input. I think I'm ready to go ahead with it. I'm hoping to have the cab up and running b4 the new year. Goodluck with your new living situation and keep growing. :thanks:

BTW, your ladies look nice :goodjob:

awesome man i would love to see skywalker done that style with cfls and a little cab like mine, because i'm considering it for my next. (if i cant upgrade and use the cab as a clone/veg station) i hope you journal it so i can follow! glad i was able to help you out a little

Back
Top Bottom