Hydro Coco Quasi Hempy Grow

Re: Bandit420's Hydro Coco Quasi Hempy Grow

Ive gotten my hands on LAC before thats actully how i stumbled onto LAW. Probably some of the best smoke ive had. I tried searching to see if anyone had mixed hydroton and coco and couldnt find anything. Is it a good mix? i dont mind buying some chunk but i have 50 lbs of hydroton just haning out.

If it's clean it should be good to go!
I also have a boat load of hydroton...about 50 gallons. I would use it with the coco but I'm working on an aquaponics set up on my deck to grow some herbs or food and I'll be using all that hydroton on that project.

Bandit,
Hey Buddy. The girls look amazing the creature is fucking sick. I just recieved my turbo today. I will start my journal as soon as I get it together.

....tinis always work on Mrs. Tokes.:slide:

mmmmm... 'wannatini :grinjoint:

DSC08941.jpg

:peace:

The Creature Strikes Again!!

Some more creature pics...this time the little feller is chompin' on some hash! :)

IMG_18051.JPG

IMG_18061.JPG

IMG_18072.JPG

IMG_18092.JPG

Here's a couple other things I've been watching and i thought I would share them with my 420 friends...

The first is a demo grow using Kessil LED lights.

IMG_18104.JPG

I'm not impressed at all with these lights. Here there are over $1000 worth of these flashlights and they're about as good as $20 worth of cfl.
Buyer Beware when it comes to Kessil. Dont waste your money.

This next demo grow I've been watching is an aquaponics set up...

IMG_18112.JPG

You can see a few of the fish in the rez....there's actually about 30 in there.
In the flood tables there is basil, chilis, tobacco, and tomatoes.
The fish provide all the needed food but the growers do have to use an iron supplement.
It's basically a contained eco system. The fish provide the food for the plants and the plants act as a bio filter for the pond.
I'm planning on building one about half this size out on my deck and i'll try to grow watermelons in it this Summer ;)

Bandit. Good job on this journal. I love not checking for a couple days, coming back to multiple photos and updates to read. :high-five:

First some questions..

I will have to look it up but I'm pretty sure the CAP AIR 4 is an enviromental controller that can also control a co2 device like a DigiGrow or a co2 timer. The way it works is that it will turn on and off fans, blowers, dehumidifiers, and/or an ac to control air temps and humidity levels while at the same time it will shut down a co2 injection if it's in exaust mode so it's not wasting gas.
The CAP controller you want that will eliminate the need for an additional co2 controller is a CAP model that has Fuzzy Logic technology. The Fuzzy Logic controllers are probably the best around and they have a price tag to show it. They control all aspects of the enviroment in one ez to use controller.
I use four devices to do what one Fuzzy Logic controller can do....
I use two $40 portable thermostats to control light temps and to turn on a window unit ac during the hot seasons.
To controll humidity I use an Active Air 8" duct booster fan plugged into a timer. I dont run this during lights on because it will exaust the co2. It runs for 15 minutes every hour during lights off. It does a really good job eliminating danky odor and humidity.
And then the last controller is the DigiGrow to inject the gas. The end result is almost $500 worth of control devices to do the job one $800 Fuzzy Logic can do ;)

What is the digi grow model that you use? And an ignorant question.. Witha ll of these different controllers, you still need a co2 regulator though? Just not a timer?
What are you keeping your ppm at? I would love some advice with adding co2 into my garden.

Second.. That creature looks fucking awesome!! ANyway i could coax you into taking a picture of your whole glass collection?

Third.. Your buds look insane. great job, looking like they are really putting on some weight. As you said before you definitely notice the difference the co2 is making. What is the difference your seeing? Faster growth? Denser buds? noticing any difference in trichome production??
and finally. that aquaponics is some really neat stuff. Do you know of how it works for growing cannabis?

Just caught up ! Your amazing Bandit! :grinjoint:
Thanks for the compliment and thanks for stopping by OMM! :high-five:

Bandit. Good job on this journal. I love not checking for a couple days, coming back to multiple photos and updates to read. :high-five:

First some questions..

What is the digi grow model that you use? And an ignorant question.. Witha ll of these different controllers, you still need a co2 regulator though? Just not a timer?
What are you keeping your ppm at? I would love some advice with adding co2 into my garden.

Second.. That creature looks fucking awesome!! ANyway i could coax you into taking a picture of your whole glass collection?

Third.. Your buds look insane. great job, looking like they are really putting on some weight. As you said before you definitely notice the difference the co2 is making. What is the difference your seeing? Faster growth? Denser buds? noticing any difference in trichome production??
and finally. that aquaponics is some really neat stuff. Do you know of how it works for growing cannabis?

To go back to your first question about the AIR 4... it is indeed just an enviromental controller that will shut down a co2 injection during exaust. CAP makes a few other controllers that have recycling timers built in so they actually can control co2 injections.
The two Fuzzy Logic models they make have one that is nothing but a co2 controller and then the other is a co2 controller, enviroment controller, and light timer. That one is called the Xtreme Greenhouse Controller and it has the $900 price tag. That's the one my multiple devices replicate.

The DigiGrow model I have is model # COCO and I have what they call the turnkey package that comes with a regulator and the controller.

Digigro also has another more expensive controller called the PPM3. The PPM3 is the exact same controller as two other models sold by CAP & Titan.
This type of controller is actually made by GE Sensings Telaire Division and all three of these models are actually the Telaire 8002.
What that means is if somebody says the CAP is better than the Titan or Digigro, they need to take a closer look because they are the same, just different packaging & price.

The regulator is the part of the co2 system that connects to the tank and controls how fast the gas is released from the tank. The regulators we use for growing have a built in solenoid that plug into a timer or co2 controller. The timer or controller opens the solenoid to inject the gas and closes when the controller turns it off.
The flow rate of the injection is determined by the size of the grow room.
My flow rate is at 7 so I adjust the knob until the little ball in the flow meter floats up to 7 on the meter gauge.

IMG_18133.JPG

The DigiGro COCO is a plug it in and forget it controller.
It has two power cords. One cord is plugged into an outlet that is on 24/7 so the controller can monitor the gas levels.
The other cord which is a piggy back style plug, plugs into an outlet that is on the same circuit as the lights so when the controller wants to inject gas, it only does so during lights on. The power cord from the regulator/solenoid plugs into the piggy back plug.
The controller is set at 1500ppm at the factory and it cannot be adjusted.
When the lights are on it will inject gas until the levels are at 1500ppm and then shut down the injection. When levels fall below 1300ppm it does another injection and continues the cycle throughout the lights on period.

I like a controller much better than a timer because a controller compensates for the gas that's already available where as a timer is basically a blind injection and cannot tell us what the actual ppm is. That can be a pain because you dont know if your only at 700ppm or 7000ppm unless you have a monitor to tell you.

IMG_18143.JPG

This pic was taken during lights off so that's why it's only at 500ppm

The effects co2 is having on my garden are very noticable.
For one the garden has a higher tolerance for heat.
Next is that this crop is ready for harvest now. I was'nt expecting it to be ready until the end of the month so it's shaved 10-14 days of grow time. That's huge because that's less time needed to run the lights. It will take some time but that power saving alone can eventually pay for the co2 devices and gas while at the same time maybe make it possible to slip in an extra grow annually.
I have not noticed more trichs but I have noticed larger buds than what has been normal with this strain. They are rock hard dense and they are very heavy. I've never seen colas snap and destroy support stakes the way these buds have done. It's forced me to come up with a better support system for the garden before the next run.
:morenutes:

Yesterday I went to the hydroshop looking for freebies and managed to come home with a sample of General Hydroponics new root stimulator...

IMG_18123.JPG

Today i'm gonna give it try! In the next few hours I'll fire up the ez cloner and take as many OG Kush clones as possible. My brew will be Vita Grow dip and 2.5 mls per gallon of this stuff.
Interesting thing about this product is that it has an NPK value of 1-0.5-1 with an iron supplement.
It's derived from ammonium nitrate, iron dtpa, monopotassium phosphate, & potassium nitrate. It also has .05% alfalfa extract, .05% barley extract, and .1% Willow bark extract. All ingredients indicate it should be a solid cloning solution ;)

...I've never seen colas snap and destroy support stakes the way these buds have done... :morenutes:

NIIIIIIIICE! I LOVE this!!!

Excellent info on the CO2, also.
:welldone:

I went messing around with this paint program again and drew up another schematic of the bloom cab since my pics really dont catch all of the madness ;)

the_room.png

The only major change I'll be making for the next run is with the fans.
Now that Spring is here the stores should be stocked with the 6" clamp fans. I'll be replacing all of the existing fans and I'll change out the 12" wall mount for 6" inch clamp fans. I'll be installing 4 fans at each end of the cab for 8 total.
I like these types of fans because they can move some air while not being too strong and they're very ez to mount in almost any position and configuration. I like to take el cheapo towel bars found at Home Depot and install them as mounting rails for the fans.

100_00962.JPG

I like these types of fans because they can move some air while not being too strong and they're very ez to mount in almost any position and configuration. I like to take el cheapo towel bars found at Home Depot and install them as mounting rails for the fans.

100_00962.JPG

another brilliant cheap idea. somebody give this guy a medal..

Very nice design, I have to get one of those ductless ac units, sounds like it saves lives. Good idea with the el cheapo towel rack too!

another brilliant cheap idea. somebody give this guy a medal..

Thanks Fellas!! You guys are too kind! :Rasta:
One of my favorite things is taking everyday things like a $3 towel bar and using them to make my grow room better ;)

Well i took a bunch of clones off the outdoor plants and got 'em loaded into the EZ Cloner! Hopefully I'll get at least 10 solid plants out of this batch.
The mama is ready to start budding so these cuttings have preflowers all over but I dont think that should be too big of an issue.
For this batch I'm also using some Root Riot plugs cut into quarters and using the small plug sleeves to hopefully get the roots to grow a little horizontal before they start being pulled down by gravity. If it works then these clones should fill out the veg pots better rather than having a long narrow root mass.

IMG_18176.JPG

IMG_18196.JPG

The seedlings are doing better now that I've fed them some FloraNova.
I think my issue with these was that I should have soaked and precharged the coco croutons before mixing them with the Just Right mix. I mixed them in dry and the youngins were acting like they were growing in inert gravel or something.
The next time I mix my coco I'm definatley going to precharge it with cal mag and Liquid Karma like I did for the last grow

IMG_18187.JPG

I'm getting better only 2.5 pages behind today!

Speaking of purps....check this out....

IMG_17512.JPG

It's kinda hard to pick up with my camera but it looks like these Blackwater seedlings are already starting to get some purple tint in the leaves.
None of the other seedlings have this going on so I am very intrigued! I've never grown anything that's meant to be purple so now I'm wondering if these will have purple pigments throughout the grow?
These next few weeks should be very interesting.
I only hope I get at least one good female from these 4 Blackwaters. Last thing I need is a purple sausage party going on in the grow room :ganjamon:

Are you still seeing the purple? On my outdoor grow lots of my seedlings started their new growth looking almost black, but then it turned green and that was the end of it.

And now... Ladies & Gentlemen, I introduce you to The Creature

IMG_17761.JPG

IMG_17773.JPG

IMG_17721.JPG

IMG_17691.JPG

IMG_17752.JPG

On the theory that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask, how does that work? I can't tell where you toke.

IMG_17792.JPG

IMG_17801.JPG

Here's what the free grinder from Wholesale Headshop looks like!
They also sent a blue plastic grinder which is cool but this thing is freakin' awesome!
I almost bought one several weeks back and I'm glad I did'nt because this is way better than the $40 grinder I was looking at.
Thanks JB!!!

btw~ I'm gonna keep the kief collecter on for several months just to see how big of a collection I can accumulate :grinjoint:

What's a grinder used for? And you were talking about ash catchers back a ways, what are they for and how do they work?

Back when I was your guys age there were pipes, papers and bongs. We kept it simple lol!

Those buds are incredible looking Bandit, you're rocking it.

Take care!

I'm getting better only 2.5 pages behind today!

Are you still seeing the purple? On my outdoor grow lots of my seedlings started their new growth looking almost black, but then it turned green and that was the end of it.

On the theory that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask, how does that work? I can't tell where you toke.

What's a grinder used for? And you were talking about ash catchers back a ways, what are they for and how do they work?

Back when I was your guys age there were pipes, papers and bongs. We kept it simple lol!

Those buds are incredible looking Bandit, you're rocking it.

Take care!

Howdy Blue!
The Blackwater seedlings started to go a pale green the next day. I gave them some Nova grow and a shot of Bio Marine to give them a N boost and get them back on track. They're stunted right now but we'll see what becomes of them. + I have 4 more Blackwater beans to pop for more examples.
Blackwater is a purple strain (Mendo Purps x OG Kush) so I'm thinking it should be puple at some point....when? I dont know :tokin:

IMG_18061.JPG

The bottom part on the left is the mouthpiece :hookah:

The grinder is just a fancy tool to chop up herb. They chop up buds really fine which is great for a vaporizer.
I dont use it for rollin' lefties....I still go old school with a magazine as a tray and my fingers as a grinder :Rasta:
This grinder is really cool because it has a sifting screen built in. So with every grind it traps a bit more loose trichs in the bottom tray. After a month or so I'll collect the trichs and top off a bowl with them. :slide:

An ash catcher is a glass piece that goes between the bowl and the down stem of a bong. They collect all of the grime and nasty crap in the ash catcher which will keep the main bong clean....

000_03341.JPG

This pic is of my gravity bong.
The ash catcher is glass on glass and fits into the blue part of the bong. The bowl is a custom fish job from Las Vegas
:rollit:

While I'm still on the topic of grinders & vapes....
This weekend I'm heading to a three day reggae fest where Silver Surfer Vaporizer will have a booth so I might be coming back with some more cool glass for my SSV. I believe one of the 420 mag Vape sponsors will be there too so i'll get a chance to schmooze with them also. :Rasta:
Should be a cool fest! It's a free festival too and y'all know how much I love free stuff! Whether it's entertainment or glass, if it's free it's me!
Not too many well known acts will be there but The Supervillains and Collie Buddz will be taking the stage so that should be fun.

YouTube - Collie Buddz- Mary Jane

YouTube - The Supervillains - Crippy Weed

Wow Bandit I'm still on the current page! I just need to get by here every 6 hours max :)

Thanks for the explanations & that bong with the two fire things bookending it looks totally badass. So does that festival, you'll have a great time!

Back
Top Bottom