Sooo, when I said I wanted to start another, I kinda did 😅
Skywalker OG
She pushed herself right up out of the perlite overnight and I woke up to a seedling with a 3cm long taproot lying on the surface.
I treated it kinda like a seed that had been sprouted in a paper towel and buried the taproot in the perlite. Hopefully she makes it 🤞

Day 9
I can now confirm there are roots in the res! They're still tiny, and there're only two of them visible, but they're in there. She's also growing visibly daily.

This girl has shed her helmet, and just has the membrane to go. I'm thinking tomorrow will be day one.

Jack Herer- day 10
Quick growth and her stem has straightened out.

Skywalker OG- day 1
She's green, so I'm starting the count. She'll finish straightening up soon.

By the way, here's the strain info:
Breeder: Weed Seeds Express
Lineage: Skywalker x OG Kush
Genetics: 80% Indica 20% Sativa
THC: 20%
CBD: 0.5%
Flowering: 50-65 days
Effects: Calming, euphoric, happy, relaxed, uplifted
Flavours: Diesel, lemon, pine, earthy

I can tell you that the last time I grew this one the flavour in the vape was lime, grapefruit, and a touch of wet granite.
Here's a screenshot of the terpenes for anyone who's interested.
Screenshot_20230830_133225_Firefox.jpg

I have to say, I am really impressed with how fast these plants can grow in a hempy.

Jack Herer- day 11
This is the earliest I've seen the outer layer of the stem split.
She now has a far more extensive root system, and needs to be fed today. I'm now giving her 1g per litre MC.

Skywalker OG- day 2
I'm dribbling a few ml at a time of water with about 0.25g per litre of MC at the base of her stem a couple times a day.
I'm looking forward to seeing her jump when her roots hit the res.

I considered naming them, but I decided not to this time.
Congrats on the great growth and the new baby! :cheer:
Thanks Shed!

I think given the growth you can bump that MC up. Better to be ahead than behind on the nutes.
You're probably right, but I think I'll see how she responds to this feeding first.
She's drinking quickly, probably because of low humidity, so I am a bit wary of burning her.
Given the speed things can happen in hydro, and the fact that lights on is mostly overnight, if something starts going wrong she could have upwards of 8 hours before I check on her.
Just chopped my JH - about 3oz I reckon from a 2ft plant in 5L coco [396g -80% water]
Interested to see if a hempy JH is any different
Congrats on the harvest!
I was planning on transplanting her to a 4 litre container, and flipping after a week or so in that. It'll be interesting to compare timelines between hempy and coco.

Jack Herer- day 13
Really nice to see how fast she's growing.

Skywalker OG- day 4
I'm thinking I'll be giving her some extra veg time when I flip the JH.
They'll both be in 4 litre pots, but she's 10 days behind, and it's looking like that's going to make a big difference.

Jack Herer- day 14
She took her last feeding well, so today I'm upping it to 1.25g per litre of MC.

Skywalker OG- day 5
No roots in the res yet, but she still looks fairly happy.

I'm seriously considering going with a hempy grow for this winter. I have enough perlite to fill the three 7 litre pots I have lying around here.
I have until early October to decide, but it is seriously tempting.
The one downside I can see is training. I'll have to modify it to suit the new format.

Jack Herer- day 14
She took her last feeding well, so today I'm upping it to 1.25g per litre of MC.

Skywalker OG- day 5
No roots in the res yet, but she still looks fairly happy.

I'm seriously considering going with a hempy grow for this winter. I have enough perlite to fill the three 7 litre pots I have lying around here.
I have until early October to decide, but it is seriously tempting.
The one downside I can see is training. I'll have to modify it to suit the new format.
Interesting choice Mel. What is it about the hempy that appeals to you?

Interesting choice Mel. What is it about the hempy that appeals to you?
I started both seeds in the perlite, and both sprouted really quickly. I think that's because of how well aerated the perlite is while still providing enough moisture to the seed.
As soon as the Jack Herer's roots hit the res she really jumped up. She started out a bit slow, but now she's really moving.
Watering is faster, and I don't have to worry about a bunch of dry soil low in the pot becoming hydrophobic and pushing the water out the sides of the fabric pots, or waiting for a plastic pot to dry out while the plant goes hungry.
And since I'll be reusing the perlite I won't have to buy more soil, or worry about contamination.
Those are my thoughts on it so far, although I'm not very far in, and I haven't completed a grow yet.
Things may change, but I like what I see for now.

Jack Herer- day 15
She's drinking fast. I might already need to feed her every other day.

Skywalker OG- day 6
No roots in the res yet.

Watering day for both of them.
Jack Herer got a full res with plenty of runoff of 1.25g per litre of MC, and Skywalker OG got the same just with diluted MC.

Jack Herer- day 16
This hempy growth is ridiculous.

Skywalker OG- day 7
😬I almost dropped her, and she got knocked a little sideways in the pot. I straightened her up, and then fed her.
She'll be ok.

Or up pot?
I should, especially since I'm going to have to cut her out of the thing I started her in.
I was overexcited to get this started and didn't really think things through.
I don't want enough roots there that I'll be damaging a lot of them, but enough to hold at least some of the perlite together.
I also wanted to flip within a few days to a week after transplant. I think I'll have to modify that timeline.

Jack Herer- day 17
She drained her res in 24 hours :oops:
I'm transplanting her either tonight, or at lights on tomorrow.

Skywalker OG- day 8
Her roots have reached the res!
Sorry about the blurry pic.

Back
Top Bottom