I take the pics right after I open the tent, so they won't show any of the changes I make to the plants until tomorrow. Keeping that in mind...
I've taken a couple of fan leaves off Skywalker OG. I could have tucked them, but when I tried it there were too many points where they were in contact and I didn't want moisture collecting between them.
There are quite a few roots poking above the perlite in both buckets. There's even an adventitious root on the JH that's entirely above the perlite. I'm not sure what that's about.
Oh, both have roots poking out the drain hole too.

Jack Herer- day 41
Flip 13

Skywalker OG- day 32
Flip 13

Good thing to double check that before you're loaded with flowers!
No kidding!
Indications are that I'll be getting an early xmas present of a 10cm inline fan with a temp/humidity probe some time in the next month or so.
Oxidizers will help remove any biofilm or algae growth in hydro. Algae deprives oxygen and worsen aeration and gives a spot for root rot and other pathogens to grow. Some people cover the surface but it's not needed in a "sterile" grow environment.

I've used regular bleach for 15+ years in hydro and won't grow without it. The calculator and recommendations are in my signature.
Hi Wastei, welcome!
I'm intending to hit the algae with H2O2, I just keep forgetting to pick it up when I'm out. Extra oxygen in the root zone being a side benefit.

I take the pics right after I open the tent, so they won't show any of the changes I make to the plants until tomorrow. Keeping that in mind...
I've taken a couple of fan leaves off Skywalker OG. I could have tucked them, but when I tried it there were too many points where they were in contact and I didn't want moisture collecting between them.
There are quite a few roots poking above the perlite in both buckets. There's even an adventitious root on the JH that's entirely above the perlite. I'm not sure what that's about.
Oh, both have roots poking out the drain hole too.

Jack Herer- day 41
Flip 13

Skywalker OG- day 32
Flip 13

No kidding!
Indications are that I'll be getting an early xmas present of a 10cm inline fan with a temp/humidity probe some time in the next month or so.

Hi Wastei, welcome!
I'm intending to hit the algae with H2O2, I just keep forgetting to pick it up when I'm out. Extra oxygen in the root zone being a side benefit.
Any oxidizer increases oxygen. H2O2 is not as effective as a sterilizing agent and is harder on the finer fibrous roots. People use it successfully it's just the application rate and lack of residual effect that makes it an inferior option in my opinion. Shelf life is another problem with H2O2 which only lasts about 1-6 months from when you've opened the container.

Cheers!

Two weeks post flip, neither are showing any full size stigmas yet, but both have preflowers starting.
I've included pics of the roots above the perlite. I was mistaken yesterday, SkOG is the one with roots showing on the stem above the perlite.

Jack Herer- day 42
Flip 14

Skywalker OG- day 33
Flip 14

Any oxidizer increases oxygen. H2O2 is not as effective as a sterilizing agent and is harder on the finer fibrous roots. People use it successfully it's just the application rate and lack of residual effect that makes it an inferior option in my opinion. Shelf life is another problem with H2O2 which only lasts about 1-6 months from when you've opened the container.

Cheers!
Well, I'm not really looking to sterilize the entire root zone right now, or for any residual effects. I haven't seen any signs of a disease, or detected any scents indicating rot.
I also use peroxide for a few things around the house when I have it, so shelf life really isn't an issue.
I'm just looking to kill off the algae since shade isn't doing it.

Man, I'm really surprised at how green that perlite is. You must have great penetration from your light. I don't think the algae hurts anything but agree that it's not great to look at.
It's the @ViparSpectra XS2000 from last winter. It's only at 50% right now. It does have great penetration.
The algae is primarily an aesthetic issue, but I do want to get rid of it.

Two weeks post flip, neither are showing any full size stigmas yet, but both have preflowers starting.
I've included pics of the roots above the perlite. I was mistaken yesterday, SkOG is the one with roots showing on the stem above the perlite.

Jack Herer- day 42
Flip 14

Skywalker OG- day 33
Flip 14

Well, I'm not really looking to sterilize the entire root zone right now, or for any residual effects. I haven't seen any signs of a disease, or detected any scents indicating rot.
I also use peroxide for a few things around the house when I have it, so shelf life really isn't an issue.
I'm just looking to kill off the algae since shade isn't doing it.
If you're not looking to sterilize and killing off the algae what are you using the peroxide for? You can't do one without the other and I'm a little confused by the answer? Cheers!

Why not just #embracethealgae 🙂
If you read earlier posts you get the explanation. You can let algae roam free but I know from experience that an anaerobic environment is a good place for pathogens to flourish and better aeration and dissolved oxygen equals higher rates of growth.

If you read earlier posts you get the explanation. You can let algae roam free but I know from experience that an anaerobic environment is a good place for pathogens to flourish and better aeration and dissolved oxygen equals higher rates of growth.
I agree 420%.

Cheers!
I also grow in perlite and have used h2o2 on surface alge. What sterilising agents are you using?

I also grow in perlite and have used h2o2 on surface alge. What sterilising agents are you using?
Regular unscented bleach (5% sodium hypochlorite). Calculator and recommendations for running chlorine is in my signature.

Cheers!

Why not just #embracethealgae 🙂
I'm not really a fan of how it looks, and I see it as an environment that can harbour pathogens.
If you're not looking to sterilize and killing off the algae what are you using the peroxide for? You can't do one without the other and I'm a little confused by the answer? Cheers!
I'm not using peroxide...yet.
I do intend to kill off the algae, but with a spray of peroxide, not flooding the medium with it.
The oxidation reaction of peroxide degrades it into water and oxygen. If I don't go nuts and huck an entire bottle of it into the buckets it should be water by the time it gets more than a cm or two down.
Now that I'm actually thinking about it that won't provide the root zone with any extra oxygen, so my comment about that could be a bit confusing.
Agreed. And it's kinda ugly here.
I agree 420%.
:)
I didn't realize your grow was in hempies!
Guess I need to pay more attention.
Regular unscented bleach (5% sodium hypochlorite). Calculator and recommendations for running chlorine is in my signature.

Cheers!
Thanks mate I'll check it out! 👍
I will too. I might run an experiment later.
3 clones in small hempies with one control, one hydrogen peroxide, and one with your recommendation. Just to see which works best for me.
I'm not trying to prove you wrong, but we've all seen two growers do exactly the same thing with the same materials and get entirely different results.

I'm not really a fan of how it looks, and I see it as an environment that can harbour pathogens.

I'm not using peroxide...yet.
I do intend to kill off the algae, but with a spray of peroxide, not flooding the medium with it.
The oxidation reaction of peroxide degrades it into water and oxygen. If I don't go nuts and huck an entire bottle of it into the buckets it should be water by the time it gets more than a cm or two down.
Now that I'm actually thinking about it that won't provide the root zone with any extra oxygen, so my comment about that could be a bit confusing.

Agreed. And it's kinda ugly here.

:)

I didn't realize your grow was in hempies!
Guess I need to pay more attention.

I will too. I might run an experiment later.
3 clones in small hempies with one control, one hydrogen peroxide, and one with your recommendation. Just to see which works best for me.
I'm not trying to prove you wrong, but we've all seen two growers do exactly the same thing with the same materials and get entirely different results.
Mine is just perlite in catch trays. No hempys.

I was teasing a bit and kinda expected the answer. I guess I was trying to be provocative. In my organic grow there is algae in places that can't be removed. I live with it and enjoy the natural look. I understand others are a little more ocd about the appearance of cleanliness. Perhaps I am wrong and I should be bleaching. I just think that my medium would take care of any potential pathogens. I do realize that you are not growing organically though. I honestly wonder how much of a pathogen threat algae in the perlite actually is and how much is more about the appearance of cleanliness. Even that is none of my business as it is a personal preference. Have a great day Mel.

I fall more on the ocd side. :rolleyes: That's one reason I went with the white pvc tray cover. :) So, I wouldn't have to look at the swampy looking tray.:rolleyes: Plus it let's me run medialess except for the clay pebbles in the net pots and lets the roots sit in the air for 1.75 hours out of every two during lights on.:cheesygrinsmiley: I can't leave a fallen leaf on the tray cover for very long without it driving me crazy.:rolleyes::cheesygrinsmiley::bong:

I fall more on the ocd side. :rolleyes: That's one reason I went with the white pvc tray cover. :) So, I wouldn't have to look at the swampy looking tray.:rolleyes: Plus it let's me run medialess except for the clay pebbles in the net pots and lets the roots sit in the air for 1.75 hours out of every two during lights on.:cheesygrinsmiley: I can't leave a fallen leaf on the tray cover for very long without it driving me crazy.:rolleyes::cheesygrinsmiley::bong:
The swampy look on my grow bags might make you faint 😆 but now I'm heading over to see your grow shop and see how you do things.

I was teasing a bit and kinda expected the answer. I guess I was trying to be provocative. In my organic grow there is algae in places that can't be removed. I live with it and enjoy the natural look. I understand others are a little more ocd about the appearance of cleanliness. Perhaps I am wrong and I should be bleaching. I just think that my medium would take care of any potential pathogens. I do realize that you are not growing organically though. I honestly wonder how much of a pathogen threat algae in the perlite actually is and how much is more about the appearance of cleanliness. Even that is none of my business as it is a personal preference. Have a great day Mel.
Outdoors, or in living soil I wouldn't mind it, but here I'm thinking it could be a habitat for bacteria that could harm the plant.
It creates more of a stagnant environment than the res which gets flushed out with new nutes on a daily basis.
Don't feel like you can't speak up here, I like hearing other opinions, even when I disagree.
I do like things to be tidy and squared away in the grow area, even while enjoying how wild the plants can get.
I don't leave fallen leaves or debris lying around either.
The swampy look on my grow bags might make you faint 😆 but now I'm heading over to see your grow shop and see how you do things.
:laughtwo:

Mel Hempy on point brother, plants look great.If you don't mind me asking wants your ph?
Thanks Gaines!
I have no idea what my ph is. I haven't been tracking it, or ppm.
Well, I guess that's not entirely true. I don't track it, but when I've run into problems in other grows I borrowed my neighbour's ph tester and it always read between 6.1 and 6.4 for my nutrients, and when I did slurry tests of the soil it came in between 6.3 and 6.8.
Given that I always use the same tap water and MC as I'm using now I figure there's no real reason to track it.

Back
Top Bottom