My Very First Grow & Journal 2016

Thanks for tuning in fam! Just in time for another update!!

Tomorrow marks the beginning of week 7 in flower.
IMAG12676.jpg
So here she is, moving right along and smelling great!!. Not an overpowering skunk, but very potent smell when you rub up against her.

Its evident there were some issues, and still maybe so, but she's steady growing and her buds are getting fatter by the day. Her last 3 waterings have been plain water. But only the last to ph adjusted, yes rookie mistake there. Tested her runoff yesterday at a ph of 7. I gave her a gallon of spring water adjusted to 6.6 an collected her runoff after I noticed the brown tinted water coming out. Strangely I put it in a bowl and left it outside and the next day I found about 10 fungus gnats dead in the runoff water!!
Anyway it seem that the yellowing of the lower leaves has increased slightly. I have read that this is a sign of flower maturity, but i'm compelled to keep in mind that she may be depleted of nutrients because of all the flushing shes been getting lately. I must admit I am perplexed at this point. I'm not sure giving her nutrients is a good idea this close to harvest so I think at the most she will get molasses with her next watering. Any advice will be appreciated.

Other than that, I got a few decent close ups of a couple main buds!!! Enjoy and thanks for reading!!!
IMAG12737.jpg
IMAG12757.jpg

Did you happen to check the salinity of your runoff? I'm guessing 4 weeks left looking at her. She looks mature but not many signs of finishing yet. I'm not a "big feeder" compared to most. I usually give a good feed every 2-3 weeks in flower at 800ppm or so of a 0-10-10 bloom booster. I would check the ppm of your runoff next plain water. If it's <1000ppm, I'd consider feeding her one more time when she dries out at 500-1000 ppm. I have the exact yellow dying leaf look on my otherwise healthy plant and I'm quite happy. They are around week 9 or so of 13-15. I find the plants that have that natural fall progression look and smell better than "healthy" looking ones at harvest. She really looks good. I would keep doing what you are doing. Peace!

Hmm, I never considered checking for salinity or TDS. I have a TDS meter somewhere I've been looking for it for months. Way too much redundancy in the tool shed as it is, i'm gonna resist the urge to buy another for now.

4 more weeks you say? Shykes!!! I'll continue to resist the urge to take a sample, she smells so good tho. Its gonna be a tough 3-4 weeks, but I would gladly wait if I knew her colas will still be fattening up!!! As far as the yellowing concerned, I understand that it is normal in late flower but i'm trying to make sure that the flushings aren't contributing to deficiencies too early before harvest. Her upper fan leaves are still very healthy and dark green. She may get a small dose of SEA-90 mineral fertilizer, it has no nitrogen and it has no effect on PH so it may be the better option at this point. I also have some Jacks Classics Bloom Booster at 10-30-20 NPK. I guess only time will tell. Thanks for the help and confidence!!!

CHEF

Well why not right???:yummy::yummy:

IMAG12779.jpg
IMAG12808.jpg
Clipped these off just earlier, one thing I noticed is that they are not squishy at all. Hard but not full and solid. I hope after drying I can get close to a gram out of this. If so, I'm looking damn good for harvest!!!

Yea, I undecided on what seeds to buy, just so many choices and so many banks. I really enjoy most diesel strains. The Pineapple Express sounds interesting. Northern Lights is a classic I would love to try as well. More than likely, if I had to choose which mother plants to keep, they would probably be some diesel or skunk variety. Any suggestions or strains and seedbanks? I'm looking for something that can do well in my area as well. High humidity.

High humidity situations tend to lean more to sativas but anything can be done you just gotta do it right if you like that fat Indica go for it!

As for seedbanks:

Seedsman (Absolute Perfect will always order unless they don't have what I want)
Attitude Seedbank
Crop King Seeds
Bonza Seed Bank
Gorilla Seeds
Herbies Seed Shop
And most individual breeders sell from their sites too :)

Lol, back to square one, so many damn choices.

I wonder though, what would be the reason for the major price differences between one strain from two different vendors. Why is the price so different?

The growing process is so long I might as well take my time and look for exactly what I want. I really need to look into the Strain review forums and read up.

Until then, I do have a good number of random bagseeds to germ out and maybe hopefully find some gems, all the while expanding slowly and getting better at growing. Getting my hands on some good skunk or diesel seeds is a priority though.

Thanks and welcome Spookies. Checked out your journal and I'm looking forward to see your outdoor grow. I've been experimenting with vegging some seedlings outdoors in the ground. Its fall so they are showing sex at the 7th node for the most part. 1 female out of 5 so far though, but its working for me. I plan to take clones and veg/bloom them in and outdoors. All the research I've done claims that outdoor plants need full sun to do well. Well that doesn't work where I am. My first few plants were fried by the sun. These plant are in a different area and aren't getting a full days sun, but are doing extremely well. Brilliant greens and broad leaves. Under the right conditions, I plan to be harvesting from a decent outdoor grow by this time next year!!!

Maybe you could experiment with supplementing outdoor with grow lamp like some sort of Frankenstein hybrid grow! I'm thinking of doing this. Thanks for checking out my journal Kimbo! 1/5 is terrible luck oh well happens. Peace out man I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Quick update!!!

I don't think she is going to go another 3-4 weeks. I picked up a jewelers loupe today and after examining her I saw a good number of amber trichomes on the main bud. If were to give it a percentage it would be 5-10% my best guess, I couldn't stay very long. I did get to look at a few other buds and saw mainly cloudy/clear trichs, with very spotty amber trichs. Still a relatively large number of clear trichomes on the buds. I am also seeing possible foxtails on a couple buds, including the main bud. I read somewhere this is an indicative of harvest time. Finally found my 7.2 megapixel camera but not the charger. I'll have better pics in a couple days when the charger comes in.

What's up 420 Fam!!

Tomorrow marks Week 9 since the flip. Its been a long journey through my first grow to harvest. Things are wrapping up and I've learned priceless information and gain invaluable experience. Through all my rookie mistakes, my girl made it through and I'm really thankful for that. She's giving me something to look forward to in spite of all the mistakes I made!!! I've successfully rooted two clones from her, which is exciting because I get sort of a do-over in the sense that I can correct all the mistakes I made with their mother. And aim to get the best quality and yield out of this particular strain!!!
P10107303.JPG
There she is, 1 day away from Week 9. I harvested her main cola two days ago, there were a good amount of amber trichs among the mainly cloudy trichs and I decided it was time to pull it. My goal is first, to avoid the overwhelming sleepy/couchlock effect of the late harvest. I'm increasingly busy as the restaurant season is rolling in and i'm looking for less of a narcotic effect and more of a energetic/creative high for my busy days. I took a sample nug last week. I let it dry for a few days but the bud was still pretty moist when I sampled. I sprinkled it in with some other stuff I had and her effects were noticeable!!! There was an added effect of heavy eyelids, which I had not felt in a long time. Can't really say if it leaned more towards the energetic or couchlock effect, because I was already smoking some good kush!!! But i'm looking for something different so if i need to harvest her now then so be it. All of her buds are absolutely coated in trichs, and looking more snowing/crusty everyday. The buds seem to be maturing at different rates so ill be harvesting bit by bit over the next week or two. This will allow me to experiment with the different percentages of ripe trichs and find out what effect I like the most!!! I also get to gauge how far she will keep going to establish a harvest window for this particular unknown strain. All very important stuff for the future, and not just an excuse to harvest early :cheesygrinsmiley::slide:
P10107364.JPG
Most of the buds I've examined are full of cloudy trichomes. The very little amber trichs that I see are on the leaves and not on the calyxes. As you can see, the majority of the pistils are still white but their is an increasing number of pistils browning and curling in on specific buds. Honestly, i'm not convince that this strain is one that will show the majority of brown pistils before harvest time, but that is just my uneducated guess. More than likely I will be harvesting these few buds today or tomorrow, and I plant to stretch the rest of the harvest out as I see fit.

Will be updating again with pics of my clones and more bud pics tomorrow!!!

Ok, here's another update, for those who are watching :thanks:

After some selective pruning of some smaller buds that were maturing fast, these last few days have been quite surprising and informative.
P10107752.JPG

Here is the rest of her, doing VERY well and her buds are thickening and still growing everyday. The yellowing of the leaves has stopped to my surprise. This could be due to the PH levels being back in check and the small feeding with her last watering. She isn't drinking as much but I'm sure that's partly due to all the pruning ive been doing. The remaining leaves aren't as dark green as they have been, but she is very healthy!!!
P10107812.JPG
P10107791.JPG
P10107773.JPG
Twin Colas!!
P10107732.JPG

As far as my initial harvest, things are going well, a few buds hanging on my wall. Temps and RH are an average of 77F/58% in my shed, which from research seem damn near perfect! Buds are looking and smelling good for the most part. Still a strong fresh green smell, buts it fading. Buds are drying well in the ambient air.
P10107742.JPG
Here is the main cola, snipped and placed in the jar to continue to dry. Some of the earlier nugs dried up very well, to a nice tight slightly crusty but thick texture. Those few will be my first cure before these buds from the main cola.

P10107483.JPG
Best news of all, her lineage will continue with these to healthy clones!!! One is a little more vigorous and thirsty than the other, but both very healthy!!!
P10107516.JPG
P10107503.JPG

Our next update will be a in depth view at these growing colas, as soon as I can get my camera and lighting skills in order.

Thanks for reading,

CHEF:420:

Those clones need a couple weeks of veg before flower. They are in a transition. Notice the single blade leafs. You shouldn't flip her until she's throwing 5 bladed +. Take a picture of a growing bud from the side. Take the same pic every 4-5 days so you can see her change. Great job!!

Back
Top Bottom