Mystery Seed's 400W LED Grow Journal - ScrOG - 2'x2'x5' Tent

Day 70 Update - Cloning party

Day 70 - Flower Day 3

Yesterday, I defoliated the lower branches of my Papayas and decided to cut a few clones. I put the cuttings in a solo cup with about 1.5" of water and left them in my tent for 24-hours. Today, I took the cuttings, scraped the lower stems, dipped them in Clonex, placed them in Rapid Rooters, and set them in solo cups filled with perlite and about 1" of water with a tiny splash of Doc Bud's Transplant. Now, they're in my veg cabinet getting ready for bed. I also took a cutting from a lower branch of Bubbalicious #1 for shits and giggles, but my hopes aren't big for that one. The light in the cabinet is at 18/6, though down the road I may try the Gas Lantern Routine of 12 hours On, 5.5 hours Off, 1 hour On, and 5.5 hours Off... Repeat.

Along with the clones, I soaked 2 more Mystery seeds and placed them in Rapid Rooters inside my germination dome. A small heating pad underneath helps to keep the dome warm.

The flowering tent is moving right along. No buds on the Papayas, yet. Bubbalicious #1 and #3 continue to surprise me. None of the buds are huge, but they are dense and getting denser. The CFLs really seem to be helping bulk up the main colas on each Bubby. All that said, I'm just a proud parent and much of that could be in my head. Anywho, the evidence:

{Day 70 - Flower Day 3}The clones inside my veg cabinet. (June 2nd, 2015)
IMG_67654.JPG
IMG_67663.JPG

{Day 70 - Flower Day 3}Bud shots from the Bubbalicious sisters. (June 2nd, 2015)
IMG_67607.JPG
IMG_67624.JPG
IMG_67642.JPG

{Day 70 - Flower Day 3}Group shot of the tent under LED light only. (June 2nd, 2015)
IMG_67585.JPG

{Day 70 - Flower Day 3}Group shot of the tent with CFLs added. Note: the light is much more like daylight to the naked eye, but the white balance on my camera was having a hard time adjusting to CFLs and LEDs. (June 2nd, 2015)
IMG_67574.JPG

Hope all is well in your world. Thanks for stopping by! :thanks:

Re: Day 70 Update - Cloning party

Day 70 - Flower Day 3

Yesterday, I defoliated the lower branches of my Papayas and decided to cut a few clones. I put the cuttings in a solo cup with about 1.5" of water and left them in my tent for 24-hours. Today, I took the cuttings, scraped the lower stems, dipped them in Clonex, placed them in Rapid Rooters, and set them in solo cups filled with perlite and about 1" of water with a tiny splash of Doc Bud's Transplant. Now, they're in my veg cabinet getting ready for bed. I also took a cutting from a lower branch of Bubbalicious #1 for shits and giggles, but my hopes aren't big for that one. The light in the cabinet is at 18/6, though down the road I may try the Gas Lantern Routine of 12 hours On, 5.5 hours Off, 1 hour On, and 5.5 hours Off... Repeat.

Along with the clones, I soaked 2 more Mystery seeds and placed them in Rapid Rooters inside my germination dome. A small heating pad underneath helps to keep the dome warm.

The flowering tent is moving right along. No buds on the Papayas, yet. Bubbalicious #1 and #3 continue to surprise me. None of the buds are huge, but they are dense and getting denser. The CFLs really seem to be helping bulk up the main colas on each Bubby. All that said, I'm just a proud parent and much of that could be in my head. Anywho, the evidence:

{Day 70 - Flower Day 3}The clones inside my veg cabinet. (June 2nd, 2015)
IMG_67654.JPG
IMG_67663.JPG

Hope all is well in your world. Thanks for stopping by! :thanks:

Hi MysterySeeds. Congratulations your new clones and your probable new mystery's.. I hope they both will be bouncing baby girls...:)
I have a question. On your clones, you cut the tips off of all the leaves. Do you always do this and what is the reasoning behind it? Im assuming they had no damage. If they did, well then, I know the reasoning. haha

Your autos are looking delicious and those big girls behind are looking very ripe for blooming. Very nice canna family you have there. :blushsmile:

I have a question. On your clones, you cut the tips off of all the leaves. Do you always do this and what is the reasoning behind it? Im assuming they had no damage. If they did, well then, I know the reasoning.

This is my first attempt at cloning, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. The method I used I learned from a friend who has had over a 95% success rate with clones and we're talking 1000's of clones. He gave me three reasons for clipping the tips of the leaves:

1. It forces the clones to focus their energy on growing roots.
2. Full leaves are heavy and weigh down the clones.
3. Clipped clones take up less space.

The last one isn't much of a concern for me; however, when you take 50-100 clones at a time, space matters.

Remember that there are many different ways to successfully clone a plant, and this is just one of them. Let's hope it works for me. :goodluck:

This is my first attempt at cloning, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. The method I used I learned from a friend who has had over a 95% success rate with clones and we're talking 1000's of clones. He gave me three reasons for clipping the tips of the leaves:

1. It forces the clones to focus their energy on growing roots.
2. Full leaves are heavy and weigh down the clones.
3. Clipped clones take up less space.

The last one isn't much of a concern for me; however, when you take 50-100 clones at a time, space matters.

Remember that there are many different ways to successfully clone a plant, and this is just one of them. Let's hope it works for me. :goodluck:

:blushsmile: Personally, Ive never cloned any kind of plant, but I read alot, articles and journals mostly. Ive seen the leaves clipped like that in pictures but I didnt have the opportunity ask why until now. Thank you for your explanation. Unfortunately for you, it brings another question to mind. lol Why would it force them to focus on root growth if you cut their leaf tips? The second makes sense and Im with you on the last one. lol

:blushsmile: Personally, Ive never cloned any kind of plant, but I read alot, articles and journals mostly. Ive seen the leaves clipped like that in pictures but I didnt have the opportunity ask why until now. Thank you for your explanation. Unfortunately for you, it brings another question to mind. lol Why would it force them to focus on root growth if you cut their leaf tips?

Good question. Think of it like defoliating - as soon as you cut those leaves, the plant is forced to focus its energy elsewhere. During flowering, that means bigger buds. For cloning, it means roots and new growth.

Nice, thank you. :blushsmile:

Looking awesome man, those bubbleisious buds really do look tasty, I wish a could feel how dense they really are :thumb: and im sure youll do fine. If your patent with your clones I have hade almost 100% success taking clones without any cloning solution just sticking them in jiffy pellet with very low root nutes. Good luck ill be rooting :Namaste:

Question: Don't you need to use a dome for clones to maintain high levels of humidity?

Not necessarily. My friend has been cloning this way for years and with nearly 100% success. That said, I did add an upside-down spinach container over the Solo cups, but it only bumped up the humidity a few percent. I misted the clones yesterday and today and will continue the practice for the next few days to keep them happy. After 10 days, I'll check for roots. Until then, it's just a waiting game.

Also, more photos of my clones and plants because I can.

IMG_67726.JPG

IMG_67739.JPG
IMG_67787.JPG
IMG_67836.JPG
IMG_67778.JPG
IMG_67806.JPG
IMG_67708.JPG
IMG_67719.JPG

Goodnight and good luck.

looking awesome and cloning is surprisingly easy man im sure your have good results :thumb:

Update Flower Day 5 - Defoliate and LST

Day 72 - Flower Day 5

Did some defoliating and LST yesterday and today, so now light from the LEDs actually shines down to the dirt. I haven't watered the any plants in the tent for 6-days and they're all doing fine, though I'll probably water them tomorrow with an appropriate amount Doc Bud's Transplant, Tea, and Growth Energy. My FF Happy Frog soil isn't Doc's suggested mix, but it's a not too far off so I want to get used to the High Brix method of feeding the soil instead of the plant before I go full-brix.

Here are some photos as proof, plus a few Bubbalicious bud shots. Enjoy!

{Day 72 - Flower Day 5}Group shot before a light defoliation and some LST. (June 5th, 2015)
IMG_67888.JPG

{Day 72 - Flower Day 5}Group shot after defoliating and LST. (June 5th, 2015)
IMG_68057.JPG
IMG_68048.JPG

{Day 72 - Flower Day 5}Beneath the canopy of Papaya #2 afterward. Look at all the light! (June 5th, 2015)
IMG_68068.JPG

{Day 72 - Flower Day 5}Bubbalicious bud shots to end. (June 5th, 2015)
IMG_67997.JPG
IMG_67989.JPG
IMG_67978.JPG
IMG_67896.JPG
IMG_67905.JPG

Good night and good luck!

Update Flower Day 10 - Pistils!

Day 77 - Flower Day 10

Since my last update, I added Doc Bud's Energy and Tea in one watering and Transplant the second watering. The plants got a foliar spray with Destress in between waterings.

It looks like things besides leaves are now growing from the tops of my Papayas. Ten days in and we're starting to see the beginnings of some very beautiful buds. The Bubbalicious are continuing to fill out and I don't expect it to be long before harvest time is upon us. From the looks of it, I have two different Bubbalicious phenotypes: Bubba #1 is lighter green and a bit lankier with less dense buds than the shorter, denser Bubba #3.

Also to note, I added another 300w LED from Mars Hydro to my flower tent. I don't have a multimeter or a kill-a-watt, but I estimate my actual power-draw to be about 400-watts for all the lights. The Mars Hydro II 400w light has an actual power draw of about 185w, the older model Mars Hydro 300w LED pulls about 175w, and the two CFLs pull another 46w. Hopefully with this much light, I'll be able to harvest at least 4-8oz from the tent between the two Bubbas and the two Papayas. We shall see.

Anyway, the proof:

{Day 77 - Flower Day 10}Pistils on the Papayas. (June 9th, 2015)
IMG_68309.JPG
IMG_68295.JPG
IMG_68318.JPG

{Day 77 - Flower Day 10}Group shot w/o CFLs. (June 9th, 2015)
IMG_68287.JPG

{Day 77 - Flower Day 10}Bubbalicious #1 (June 9th, 2015)
IMG_68328.JPG
IMG_68337.JPG
IMG_68358.JPG
IMG_68512.JPG
IMG_68524.JPG
IMG_68533.JPG

{Day 77 - Flower Day 10}Bubbalcious #3 (June 9th, 2015)
IMG_68364.JPG
IMG_68438.JPG
IMG_68456.JPG

{Day 77 - Flower Day 10}A look at the added Mars Hydro 300w LED. (June 9th, 2015)
IMG_68109.JPG

{Day 77 - Flower Day 10}Final group shot with CFLs added. (June 9th, 2015)
IMG_68614.JPG

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom