Need a suggestion for LED Lighting

birdieman456

420 Member
I am in the process of setting up a Gorilla 4x4 tent. What would be some good ideas as far as Led lighting? I have been looking at HLG 550. What would you guys recomend looking at 6 plants.

best bang for dollar is probably cob based pre-made kit or diy. 4 x 4 works out to about a 4 cob light.

if you're considering an HLG solution, I myself will be doing something similar in a 5X5 in the comming months.
Suggestions to me and to others as well is that the boards work best when done in multiples
I plan on hanging a 288 in each corner with a Wide double 2 X 288 board config in the center
or some approximation of that
the key is multiple lights spread out as opposed to 1 big ass light

Kind is not high end, they use crap components and their lights are no better than the much cheaper lights from Mars, Viparspectre etc.

HLG550 is a decent off the shelf choice, but with a tiny amount of DIY you can build a lamp with 6 boards for the same price, or 4 boards as individual lamps cheaper with better spread.
Look at LED components at HLG's site to see some DIY kit choices, and a link to a youtube video you can watch that explains how to do the DIY -> watch it before you buy the 550, the DIY is super easy :)

yeap, almost 50% savings doing it yourself.

they sold out on the Zon, 2pack 288, for like $140.

If you can find a metal shop for aluminum, easy DYI.

I went with a Viparspectra 1200. Puts out 525 at the wall and the plants are doing well. I will put another one in a 5x5 Tent. At least a 600W or 2 - 300W to fill out the light on the outside. What I have now is easy to move from side to side a bit and give all the plants some intense light.

I am in the process of setting up a Gorilla 4x4 tent. What would be some good ideas as far as Led lighting? I have been looking at HLG 550. What would you guys recomend looking at 6 plants.
I have a mars reflector 960. It is rated for a 4x4 size tent. I am finishing a grow right now and I am using one in my tent. It is my first grow with the 960 and I am impressed

I have a mars reflector 960. It is rated for a 4x4 size tent. I am finishing a grow right now and I am using one in my tent. It is my first grow with the 960 and I am impressed

A former member measured the PPFD of that model and it only covers 2x2, in a 4x4 tent the PPFD beyond the 3x3 footprint is around 100...

Man, you ever think of just doin DIY? You have a ton of heat from all those lights bro,.. Great run none the less for a bunch of blurples.. DP was impressive.

Man, you ever think of just doin DIY? You have a ton of heat from all those lights bro,.. Great run none the less for a bunch of blurples.. DP was impressive.
How’s it going and thank you very much for the props. You are absolutely correct about the heat. I had to remove one of my leds just to help combat it. I currently have a portable ac unit blowing and still hit 85 f, with the lights on. I would love to minimize the heat.
I am totally on board about building a set for my 4x8 tent. I am just starting to read and research them.

A former member measured the PPFD of that model and it only covers 2x2, in a 4x4 tent the PPFD beyond the 3x3 footprint is around 100...
Wow. That is crazy. Thanks for letting me know about that. On my next run, I will move it to my 3x5 tent. I have a couple mars 300’s I can stack next to it. I am learning about the diy lights and like what I am seeing

It would of been a kicka$$ light if I could dim it. I gave 1 away, and the other finally stopped working altogether, after half worked for a few months. probably bad solder job, never soldered before. pretty much made a perft sun mini, then went out and bought a Mini, and should of made 2 more of these properly. Now, Im using cobs, Love them, lol.

Check out Black Dog. I have used this LED in a similar set up for 2 years growing Auto's. i am very happy and get great results. i consider myself a newbie but have impressed myself with my first 4 grows. This light gives the full spectrum. i use it in DWD and start my seeds under it and keep it on the girls through harvest. I search every site etc. before deciding on this light. You will have likes and dislikes all over forums that beat up just about anything you try to research. i have used this light and cannot say enough about it. I do not have any skin in the game with this company and am only giving what i believe is a good product with a good warranty. The sticker is up there but i believe you will recoup that in a single grow or 2

Back
Top Bottom