New lights for my 3x3x7 veg tent

Newnugz

So Im gonna replace the lights in my 3x3x7 tent for veg:morenutes::morenutes::morenutes:. The 200 watt cfl set up i have has very limited light print and I wanna fill this tent with foliage.
100_04805.JPG

I have a few options and im thinking I can buy a 1000w MH conversion bulb for 40 and a 6 inch cooltube from bustans (grow store) for 60. So for 100 dollars I can set up my second (currently just sitting there) hps ballast in the 3x3x7 tent. I know I can keep it cool but is that just too much light in an enclosed mylar?

What do you guys recommend for a 3x3 maximized. The area i Live in has ridiculously low power rates under .08$ per kwh. So power usage isnt my concern but big and vigorous plants are. Im also not wealthy, I have some money here but im not looking to buy the white house. Its only a 3x3 So i feel I can accomplish this at a reasonable price tag. What do you guys suggest? What works for you?

So Im gonna replace the lights in my 3x3x7 tent for veg:morenutes::morenutes::morenutes:. The 200 watt cfl set up i have has very limited light print and I wanna fill this tent with foliage.
100_04805.JPG

I have a few options and im thinking I can buy a 1000w MH conversion bulb for 40 and a 6 inch cooltube from bustans (grow store) for 60. So for 100 dollars I can set up my second (currently just sitting there) hps ballast in the 3x3x7 tent. I know I can keep it cool but is that just too much light in an enclosed mylar?

What do you guys recommend for a 3x3 maximized. The area i Live in has ridiculously low power rates under .08$ per kwh. So power usage isnt my concern but big and vigorous plants are. Im also not wealthy, I have some money here but im not looking to buy the white house. Its only a 3x3 So i feel I can accomplish this at a reasonable price tag. What do you guys suggest? What works for you?
I recommend you read @Bill284 ’s thread on fire 🔥 prevention. Some Mylar is highly flammable and no one’s growing is more important than safety. CL🍀. :goodluck:

I recommend you read @Bill284 ’s thread on fire 🔥 prevention. Some Mylar is highly flammable and no one’s growing is more important than safety. CL🍀. :goodluck:

I can't even look at it anymore. :rolleyes:
Hope your weekend is going well Amigo :ciao:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I can't even look at it anymore. :rolleyes:
Hope your weekend is going well Amigo :ciao:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I like to keep a smoke alarm in my tent.

Smoke Alarm placement.jpg

I'm also putting together an automatic fire extinguisher system to hang in the tent so that if there is a fire and I'm not around it'll extinguish it and not burn the house down.

the op posted 7 yrs ago guys ... :cheesygrinsmiley:
I just noticed that!! 😂

Well, for whoever is reading this, fire safety is a must if you plan on not setting your house on fire.

I'm currently gathering the parts I need to hang a 5lb ABC tank with a sprinkler head so that if there is a fire in the tent and I'm not around it'll put the fire out. I'm trying to see if I can run a line from the tank that I can hang on the roof that will dispense the agent throughout the tent. Maybe 4 points of exit for the agent. Just not sure if spreading out the agent will lessen the overall effect rather than just having it exit straight out of the tank from one point. Placement of the tank and sprinkler head would be above the power center if it was just one point.

For $44 what's the worst that can happen? ;)
You could burn your house down and possibly kill someone... You asked... ;)

Are they UL listed? Better off with a name brand, tried and true...

You could burn your house down and possibly kill someone... You asked... ;)

Are they UL listed? Better off with a name brand, tried and true...
That's what the smoke alarm and fire extinguisher are for!!! ;)

Almost every "name brand" light that hangs in our tents are produced in China. In China most of the manufacturing gets centralized to just a few factories in that area. They'll produce many different brands using the same technology so, for the most part, the safety of those lamps depends on the manufacturing process. If they're coming from the same factory why would one be inherently worse than the other?

Example...Vipar Spectra. They have a light that looks exactly like, what most would deem a sub standard, china manufactured light(Bestva) yet VS gets props and the other gets scorned. The best part is I found out they both manufacture out of the same facility. That doesn't mean that ALL of VS's stuff is like that but to say this is more of a fire hazard than the other is not accurate. Maybe the company that white labels stuff for other companies decided to do their own version using the same technology as their clients but didn't bother to go through the certification process because of expense.

If they're coming from the same factory why would one be inherently worse than the other?

they don't actually. the best emitters are made in taiwan. there are dozens and dozens of factories in china making both knock offs and lower end brand names.

good chinese brands import the emitters from taiwan and will supplement with some of the better ones produced in china. lousy ones just use the domestic junk they produce.

other issues pop up with several off brands using counterfeit emitters and other components.

south korea and india also both produce some decent branded emitters and components as well, it's not just china.

Example...Vipar Spectra. They have a light that looks exactly like, what most would deem a sub standard, china manufactured light(Bestva) yet VS gets props and the other gets scorned.

vipar started as a kitten brand but has quickly risen as they've improved build quality and directly invested in r & d.

bestva and other mfgrs all have similar architecture as the better lights now, but the components is where the difference is. you have to know what components they are using, and the companies that build the individual components.

bestva itself has actually improved in the last 2 yrs.

The best part is I found out they both manufacture out of the same facility.

bestva claims to build most of their lights in california lol. it's on the corporate website. i'd bet it's only where final assembly occurs.

where did you trace them to ?

makes sense.
shenzen and quangdong is where the majority of the tech stuff is getting made in china.

edit : it's important to note several companies from taiwan are forced to have production facilities in china due to political reasons. the gov't of taiwan and the US restricts what they are able to produce on the chinese mainland, so china can't steal the better tech. it's a major motivation behind china eventually invading the island.

Back
Top Bottom