Nirvana Northern Lights Autoflower - First Grow - CFL - Indoors

paintedbudman

I already started this grow log in a word processor. I just copied the text from there into this log. I will add the pictures i have in my documents later when i figure out how. Here is the first 6 days of my log hope you like it. I will trey to keep up with this on a weekly basis if not more frequently. Well here goes ..... enjoy !!!

11/3/2015 — Day 1 - This is my first public grow log. I have built my grow box (pictures to come). I ordered seeds, received them in under 2 weeks. First 5 I grow will be Nirvana Northern Lights Auto flower feminized. I chose this because it is supposed to be an easy grow that would be forgiving for newbies. I placed the seeds between two thoroughly damp paper towels last evening. Today it looks like 3 or 4 or them have cracked and I see evidence of a root starting to stick out. I am hoping that all 5 will germinate but only time will tell. My grow box has ~6 ft^2 directly under light, and maybe a total of 8-9 if you include every nook and cranny inside the box. From the top of the soil to the very bottom of the CFLs is 75cm (~30 inch). This will mean that I have to do some LST to make sure everything fits. I have just a smidge less than 800 watts of CFL lights over the plants (~54000 lumens). It has ~1/3 of the lights at 2700K 1/3 of the lights at 6500K and the other 1/3 switches between 6500K during veg and 2700K during flower/bud. These are adjustable in 6 inch increments over the plants. The box has 2 4" fans forcing air in and 1 4" fan exhausting it. I may add to these as need arises. Maintains the interior of the box at ~10°F higher than the exterior at pot top level. I am guessing there is an increase in heat the closer to the lights. Pictures are below. The green in the box was my first grow, in a 10 gallon bucket. They are at day 24. They have some nute problems as well as some watering issues, but overall from bag seeds they don't look too bad .... Too bad they will have to go to make room for the northern lights. I added ~1/2 gallon of distilled water to each of the 5 pots (#3 nursery pots — 2.25 real gallons, 3 trade gallons). I previously placed ~1-2- inches of limestone in the bottom of each pot and then put fox farms ocean forest in each pot. Two of the pots (the rearmost in the grow chamber, plants #4 and #5) also had ~1/3 part miracle grow perlite added to the mix. After the water addition all of the pots showed some clear runoff into their plates. With a slight addition of water tomorrow morning the planting should go smoothly (btw I have looked at the seeds and at least four of the five have sprouted, and I think I see a crack in the fifth one. So I think all 5 have popped, but we will see in the morning.

Nov 4 — Day 2 — 4 of 5 beans definitely popped. Planted all 5 this morning. Placed the seeds just under ground and poured a little water over each bean after I placed the seed just barely under the ground. Watched all day and nothing. The seeds are in the soil and now we wait to see if anything comes up. Had to modify the grow cabinet a bit. Placed the thermometer up higher in the chamber maybe 12 inches from the lights. The temperature climbed to 104°F. Way too hot. So I went to home depot and bought a sheet of acrylic and cut it such that when I placed it on the just below the light (using the same braces that I have for the lights) so most all of the air would travel in the 1" border to exit the cabinet. Two fans forcing cooler air into the lower portion and 1 fan pulling hot air out the top. Again set the thermometer in the same place and it only got up to 88°F. I am going to add another fan to the case tomorrow or the next day midway up the sidewall. This should disrupt and stratification in the middle of the box. Also puts more cool air below the acrylic thus keeping the temperature in the growing area under 86°F. My hope is that this should get the temperature maximum down in the mid 80's. The plants should be able to grow right up to the acrylic sheet without heat stress. Should work well. I hope.

Nov 5 — Day 3 — All 5 seeds are growing. Periodically spritzing them with water and covered with plastic to keep them moist and warm. I read in one of the blogs that oxygenating your water is a good thing. It stabilized\s the pH on the acid side and provides extra oxygen for the roots. I have an aquarium air pump that can feed two air stones. I have both of these bubbling away. I can't think of any reason it would hurt the plants if I do this and maybe it will help. Besides, it is a bit dry in here and increasing the interior humidity even a little it a good thing. Measured the temperature even closer to the acrylic sheet .... Equivalent to ~2-3 inches from the lights. It maxed out at 96 before I added another 4" fan about in the center and the top of the fan about level with that 2-3 inches from the lights. After this the max temperature I saw here was 90. Still a bit hot but livable. When the plants are in there growing we will see what the temperatures are there then. It might require I install the 8" exhaust fan that have waiting in the wings. I replaced the plastic over the seeds with 12 oz. clear plastic cups. I can clearly see 4 of the 5 seeds sprouting and one that I know has sprouted must have dirt over the sprout but it will come up. Looks like I'm 5 for 5 so far.

Nov 6 — Day 4 — 4 of the 5 have their heads up and 3 are opening leaves. One still has its seed coat on, if it doesn't sluff it off by this evening I'll take action and help like I did with 2 of the others last evening. Looks like I did have to help all of them with their seed coat removal. Next time I am going to leave the sprouts in the moist paper towel longer to soften up the seep coat a bit more/ Now I can see green on all of them with their little dicot leaves opening. Moved all of the plants up by placing the pots on top of 5 gallon buckets. They are now about 14" from the lights. Still covered with clear plastic cups (see pictures below). The second picture is just a picture of my current setup. Pots on top of 5 gallon buckets to get them closer to the lights for now. Later I can use 1 gallon buckets followed by nothing. Currently at the base of the central pot my humidity has ranged from 35 to 51% and the temperature has gone from 75 to 81°F. Pretty darned stable and right in the sweet spot. The next picture is my first small grow from bag seeds. Looking for a good home for them. I really want to see this auto flower grow get moving and there won't be enough room for the extra pot right now especially because I'm a newbie and need to avoid male plants at all costs. The next 5 pictures are of the various seedlings. I have 2 seedlings that seem to be having some problems and that is #1 and #4 I will be watching them especially.

Nov 7 - Day 5 — All 5 are sprouted, the dicot leaves are now open and now I can see the first "single" finger leaves starting on all of them. Even the two that looked scrawny are looking better this morning. Got up early (2:00 am) turned on the lights in the box. I guess today the plants will get about 3 extra hours of light. The little ones continue to grow. I gave each bucket ~1 litre of distilled water. And took off the humidity domes just before bed. Took some pics, but one missed one of the seedlings so I only have 4. Trying to take 1 of each nightly.

Nov 8 — Day 6 — The sprouts continue to grow. #1 looks runty right now, #4 only one of the two dicot leaves never formed (may have been damaged when removing the seed casing). But all of the five show the first single finger leaves are out and growing. See pictures below.

Nov 9 — Day 7 — low temp overnight was 61°F. Humidity was at ~55% just before the lights kicked back on. Continuing spritzing the seedlings every few hours when the lights are on. Will continue this for about another week. Seedling #3 fell over after spritzing with water. Placed a little more soil around it and stood it up. The center pot seems a little dryer than the others. Maybe I didn't water evenly. Or maybe the center pot has the most heat and light and airflow  it dries out the quickest. This afternoon the temp is 75° and 52% RH in the center pot at soil level. For the day temp hi/lo was 82°F/61°F and the RH hi/lo was 67%/36%.

Im doing the exact same grow and pretty much at the same stage - Have set out my plans below based on a really good schedule I got from a knowledgeable guy on here:

The life cycle of auto flowering cannabis.

Another common question I see is when to switch autos from veg to bloom. Many people are under the impression that as soon as they see the first flowers it's time to switch. Perhaps a little explanation of the life cycle of autos will help to clarify this.

Weeks 1 - 3

November 1st – November 21st

Day 1 = November 1 (approximately when popped)
From 14th onwards – potential of mild vegetative nutrients
21st of November – sex may be showing.

Once you've started your seeds and they break the surface of the soil, they are in their seedling stage. The first set of leaves to appear will usually single fingered, followed by a second set that may still be single fingered or perhaps 3 fingered. Once that second set appears growth will start to accelerate as the new leaves provide more photosynthesis. This process will continue, more new leaves, faster growth. Depending on the type of soil in use, mild vegetative nutes can be introduced at week 2. By week 3 most plants will start to show their sex. Males will start to produce pollen sacks and females will display pistols.-

Weeks 4 – 6

November 22nd – December 12th

November 22nd – 28th – this is when the plant will enter the Pre-flowing stage = explosive growth therefore monitor space and lights.
Purchase – an oscillating, atami bombastic, molasses if you can, plus an emergency ona block.
Continue vegetative growth nutrients until vertical growth stops! This should be around about the 5th-12th December.

The plants are now entering a pre flowering stage. During this time the plants should exhibit explosive growth, often as much as a new set of nodes and 1" vertical growth a day. This is the time when they will gain most of their vertical height. Many people make the mistake of switching from vegetative to flowering nutrients at this point, assuming that since they see flowers it must be the proper time. This is incorrect. If the switch to flowering nutes is made at this time the vertical growth will stop and the plant will put it's energy into producing buds. If you need to keep your plants small, or want them to finish earlier, they by all means switch nutes at this point. But if you want to get the most out of your plants continue feeding vegetative nutes until you see the vertical growth slow and stop. Depending on the strain that will usually be sometime during week 5 or 6.-

Weeks 7 – 9

December 13th – January 2nd

About 13th December – Switch to Flowering Nutrients
Buds will start filling out – Smell potential – keep ona near.

By now vertical growth has stopped and the switch to flowering nutrients has been made. The buds will start to fill out and put on weight, becoming hard and tight. Pistols will start to change from white to brown, orange, red, etc. By now the plants will also have developed a strong smell. Toward the end of this phase the large primary and smaller secondary fan leaves will begin to turn yellow. This is an indication that the plant is moving toward the end of it's life.

Weeks 10 – 11

January 3rd – 16th

Weeks 10 - 11. At this time flowering nutes should be discontinued and only plain pHed water fed to flush the remaining nutrients from the soil and improve the taste. Yellowing of the fan leaves will continue as the plant draws the stored energy from them. Eventually they will die and fall off. By the time that the smaller leaves that come from out of the buds will also start to turn yellow. Then it's time to harvest.-

I know that many of you are thinking that the seed bank said the plants will finish in 8-9 weeks, so why are you saying they take 10-11? The claims made by the seed banks are somewhat deceptive. If you switch to flowering nutes at week 3 or 4 the plants can finish in the times the seed banks say but they will remain small and not reach their full potential yield. Years of growing by myself and others has shown that autos do best if you follow this time line.

Of course, there will always be variations depending on the strain, the environment, nutrients, etc. This information is meant to only serve as a general guideline.

Hope you get something from it.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice. I will keep the nute schedule you suggest in mind as the little darlings grow. btw these are supposed to be feminized seeds, but I will keep an eye out for males or hermis in there.

Nov 10 — Day 8 — They continue to grow. I can see the start of the second set of leaves on several of the seedlings. I figured out how to post photos now so this should be good . The hi/Lo temps for the day were 84°F/64°F and the hi/lo RH were 71/32.

Looking good! Same strain for me from Sensi. I crisped a couple of mine with an LED. Don't do that lol.

Looking good! Same strain for me from Sensi. I crisped a couple of mine with an LED. Don't do that lol.

I have the same from sensi - bout day 9. Have you got a journal I can follow to compare? I have LED's, what heights do you recommend - I have 300w old mards hydro panel.

I have the same from sensi - bout day 9. Have you got a journal I can follow to compare? I have LED's, what heights do you recommend - I have 300w old mards hydro panel.

For sure! NL growers unite, haha. I think I added a link to my signature, should be there now.

I have a 180 watt UFO at 18" and it seems to be plenty. Started at 6" and that was wayyy too close. With CFL it seems harder to burn the little ladies.

Nov 11 - Day 9 - Everything seems to be growing along fine. I thought I'd share a couple of pictures of my grow box setup (since my earlier referrals were before i figured out how to post pictures. I will also post pictures of the little darlings tonight as I will most every night..

20151103_180147.jpg
20151103_180307.jpg
20151103_180113.jpg
20151103_180122.jpg
20151110_215125.jpg

20151110_215131.jpg
20151110_215136.jpg

20151110_215153.jpg
20151110_215158.jpg

20151110_215253.jpg

Nov 12 — day 10 — Nothing new to report, the little ones keep growing, I keep spritzing and time moves on. Here are the days pics.
20151112_221944.jpg
20151112_222121.jpg
20151112_222127.jpg
20151112_222132.jpg
20151112_222152.jpg
20151112_222156.jpg

Nov 13 — Day 11 — Continuing to grow. The soil seems dry. Good thing I'm watering them in the morning. Temperature hi/lo for the day were 84°/63°F anf the RN Hi/Lo were 73/39%. #4 looks a little wonky. The picture doesn't really show it well but it may be underwatered right now.
20151113_210950.jpg
20151113_192259.jpg

20151113_192302.jpg

20151113_192253.jpg
20151113_192256.jpg
20151113_192249.jpg

Nov 14 – Day 12 – Watering Day. Watered each plant with 1000-1500 ml of water with ½ the suggested dose of big bloom from fox farms (1 Tsp/gal). I tried it on one plant last night before I went to bed, saw no problems this morning and decided to go for it for all of the plants. So far no problems. Planning on using most of the fox farms nutrients for this grow pretty much as directed (with great caution upon any increase in strength). The plants are growing nicely. The little darlings are looking good!! Cross my fingers, hope it goes smoothly. Any advice is welcome. I’m sure I will have problems somewhere along the way, just hope I can get by them and come up with a good harvest. I can almost taste it now ….. I can’t wait!!!!
20151114_215603.jpg

20151114_215533.jpg

20151114_215530.jpg

20151114_215522.jpg

20151114_215512.jpg

20151114_215503.jpg

Hey budman, I've been checking in on this.. I still haven't started my grow! But I will soon. I was just wondering why your lights are so far away & why you didn't keep your humidity dome on longer, wouldn't have have improved your growth the growth a little bit ?? I don't know I've never grown before but I read lots about it lol.. I'm super excited I am just gonna use cfls & I'm gonna buy my self a Mars hydro light for Christmas :D.. But all is looking good for your girls! I can't wait to see them grow!

Mr Wiggles. This is my first real grow, and I don't know why I didn't keep the dome on longer. They looked healthy and I was keeping them moist with spraying periodically so I removed it. Doesn't seem to have hurt that I can see. Maybe next time I will keep it on longer. The reason the lights are so far away is because I had another set of plants that were sharing the grow box and they were taller (I'll share a little more about that in my next post). I removed them when I took pictures. Those plants went to another home today and now my little darlings are up ~6" from the lights.

Nov 15 — Day 13 — Finally removed my original 5 bag seeds from the grow area (all in one planter, didn't expect them to grow but grow they did. See picture below, this was yesterday, they were ~8-12" tall and about 1 month old). Have given it to a friend to continue its care and feeding. Now all I have left are the 5 NL auto seeds to look after. This morning I added height under the little darlings and brought then to within ~6" of the lights (added a 1 gallon plastic bucket under each planter, this raised the planter 7". This should significantly increase the light intensity incident on the plants. Interested in what this does to the temperature and humidity profile, not to mention the plants development. After an hour the temperature is 81-84°F (this is maintaining ~10-11°F increase over ambient in the area of the grow closet) and relative humidity is 35-40 so far. I know a little dry but I do spritz the leaves every few hours. Also I have been told later during flowering the lower humidity would be a help. It is what it is right now so I'll just watch and see.
I have decided to post pics once a week, most likely on Saturday evening. Now that the plants are past their baby stage, not as many pictures ... just like people. They look good after a day of higher light and higher/drier conditions. Max temp 84°F min temp 77°F max; RH between 32 and 44%. Its cold and dry outside here tonight. I put a humidifier in the room with the grow closet in attempt to raise the RH. Not sure what this little humidifier will accomplish but we will see.

20151113_211003.jpg

Nov 16 – day 14 – The little ones like the light and the nutes. Significant growth, no yellow tips. Looking good. Seedling #1 and #4 still look a little behind the others with #2 and #5 looking very healthy. RH is a little higher than yesterday. Maybe 5% or so. I have moved the humidifier into the grow box but again I doubt it will do much better, the air exchange rate in the box is too high and the humidity never gets a chance to build up before it is exhausted into the room to mix with the much higher volume of cooler dryer air. Based on the approximate volume of the box and the flow rate of the fan the entire contents of the box changes ~2 times a minute. So no, I don’t think in the box will do anything any different than outside the box. So far that is holding true. Humidity didn’t budge at all.

Hey bud man! How are your girls doing ?? I'm excited to see then again. Must have been lots of growth the last few days ?

Yes they are growing welll like weed(s). A lot of new growth. I'll be posting a full set of pics on saturday night, but here is a preview of girl #2

20151117_215041.jpg

Back
Top Bottom