PolyHybrid Question

grayeyes

I am in flower now with a polyhybrid 3 way cross. I have noticed that instead of fan leaves opposing each other, (this was started from seed) that the fan leaves and consequently the branching is stepped like stairs, none exactly posing against the next.

Does this indicate that one of the 'parents' was a clone? I have seen clones growing and their fan leaves and branches are always spaced like stairs instead of directly opposed to each other.

If you have seen this please let me know. It is new to me in the last 10 years of growing.

It's usually a sign that the plants have reached maturity.
If you're in flower then your plants have reached that point.
Clones have alternating nodes because they're at least the same age as the plant they were cut from.

So do you or do you not have an answer? I figured from the obvious flower that it is in flower. Thanks for that.
My question was about alternating nodes on a plant grown from seed.

Your statement about clones seems out of place as my grow is from seed. Further elucidation?

I did answer your question. My statement about clones isn't out of place...
Like I said, once a plant reaches maturity it's normal for nodes to alternate and be asymmetrical or stair case like.
Forget it. Let someone else tell you the same thing.

How did you answer my question? I'm missing how you equate the appearance of clone development in a plant started from seed. Do you have some connection between the two?

Or did you 'answer' a question you had no clue how to answer?

Here ya go, while it is not common, plants can start out with alternating nodes from seed. Most of the time seedlings have opposing nodes. When plants reach maturity they also start putting out alternating nodes. But specifically, while not common in seedings, they can start with alternating nodes.

In ten years I have never seen that. I got an explanation on another board that makes sense. Seems that clones can pass structure clues to their offspring. So now the question is answered.

Thanks for playing.

The fact that the mother was or could have been a clone, makes absolutely no difference to the seed she produces.
A clone is a copy of a plant. The seeds will be a mix of the mother (or clone since they are the same thing) and the father or pollen donor.
It could be that one of the parents had alternating nodes from seed too or you could have something like Alternate phyllotaxy which is the most likely explanation.

In ten years I have never seen that. I got an explanation on another board that makes sense. Seems that clones can pass structure clues to their offspring. So now the question is answered.

Thanks for playing.
Read that back but slowly.... A clone is just that an identical clone of the parent, and the parent is grown from what? A seed!. It doesn't in any way differ in genetic makeup from the parent. We have an infants level when it comes to our understanding of genetics and someone who says they understand it is a lying fool!

I think you're being a little rude being new to a forum and we're in no way playing around with someone's Bro Science with no evidence or proof of concept. You however seem to choose side for no positive or clear reason at all? Why downplay someone trying to elaborate and help you figure out your stated question?

Read that back but slowly.... A clone is just that an identical clone of the parent, and the parent is grown from what? A seed!. It doesn't in any way differ in genetic makeup from the parent. We have an infants level when it comes to our understanding of genetics and someone who says they understand it is a lying fool!

I think you're being a little rude being new to a forum and we're in no way playing around with someone's Bro Science with no evidence or proof of concept. You however seem to choose side for no positive or clear reason at all? Why downplay someone trying to elaborate and help you figure out your stated question?
I thought the same bit rude

Does this indicate that one of the 'parents' was a clone? I have seen clones growing and their fan leaves and branches are always spaced like stairs instead of directly opposed to each other.
No. As the plant becomes mature the nodes start to alternate and are no longer opposite each other; sort of like the climbing steps that are on some telephone and electric poles. You called it stairs which is a decent description of how they look. Have you noticed on the flowering plant that the nodes form a spiral and are not directly on the exact opposite side of the stem?

Until this stage happens the plants will not go into flower so many consider the alternating nodes to be a sign that the plant will be able to produce flower buds if other conditions are right.

If a plant has the alternating nodes and a cutting is taken from it then both the mother plant and the cutting will always have the alternating or stairs look. There is no way to go back. If the plant was a photoperiod then it is possible to keep both the mother and the clone from flowering with a longer "lights on" schedule but the alternating nodes will always be there.

Seems that clones can pass structure clues to their offspring.
Only if the offspring are new cuttings taken from the clone.

And it is just "clues" since the environment the plant is growing in will have an effect. Too much light can cause the clone to change how the top stems grow. Not enough nutrients available for the plant and it can grow slower. Not enough light and the plant will grow slower plus the new leaves will be smaller.

Clues, just clues, come from the mother plant.

Thanks for playing.

you clearly don't understand. if you grew from seed clones don't enter the equation at all. what you have is just a genetic oddity, and is not that uncommon.

I thought the same bit rude

was probably simply looking for an answer that conformed to a preformed bias. placed the op in a fugue state when he didn't get an expected response.

Thanks for all the psycho babble. Smoking there is no spiraling.

Lots of answers that seem to be outside the poster's direct experience. Like I said I already have an answer I am comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom