Septoria

I guess the first question should be, how sure are you that you are actually dealing with Septoria? Assuming that it is, you'll need to do a search to find out which fungicide will work to kill it that is also available to you (in your area). And you will also need to research how to treat the soil, because that is where it rests in between seasons, hence why you got it again.

How do you get rid of Septoria? Outdoor growing in Ontario Canada.
This is the second year that it has destroyed my plants.
Any ideas anyone?
Sorry to hear about your issues.
Welcome to 420Magazine my friend.
I'm in northern Ontario and use a greenhouse and SNS to help combat issues.
Do you have any pics of the problem plants?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

You should be able to use a vinegar or citric acid dilution.

Does it look like this? Some pics of mine from a few summers ago.

unknown-png.2412061

20210901_182844-jpg.2412062

Any ideas anyone?
@Sueet brings up a good point. Septoria can survive a couple of years in the soil so avoid planting in the same area if at all possible.

And, before next years grow look around and see what else is growing in the immediate area. If the Septoria has been a problem twice already it is possible that there are nearby plants that are also affected and maybe the carrier for the disease. Keep the new grow away from tomatoes, peppers and eggplants if those types of vegetable plants were infected in the last year or two.

Septoria can be one of those nasty little plant diseases that causes pure misery for the grower.

Thank you for the advice. Yes it definitely is Septoria. I will grow in containers away from the garden and see if that works this year. I did try removing all infected leaves to no avail. Also tried some spraying with different products. The plants became so stressed the growth slowed right down. Sorry could not figure out how to attach photo.

Thank you for the advice. Yes it definitely is Septoria. I will grow in containers away from the garden and see if that works this year. I did try removing all infected leaves to no avail. Also tried some spraying with different products. The plants became so stressed the growth slowed right down.
I did a quick search on Septoria to refresh my memory of the disease. Came across mention of one variety of the disease that lives on a type of Willow tree and can spread from there to other plants. It is something that the wind can blow around like some mildews or molds.

If it is in the area you might be faced with having to do something extra even if you do not see it on the plants. Might have to treat the soil in the pots or spray the plants even if there are no signs on the leaves yet.

Sorry could not figure out how to attach photo.
At least when on my computer up at the top of every page of messages is a row of words. The last one is "420 PHOTOS". If I click on that the first line of the drop-down menu is "Photo Gallery Guide: How To.....". When I click on that the page that opens up is how to put photos in the Gallery and how to put one from there into a message. The page is really helpful and was revised earlier, around mid-summer.

I did a quick search on Septoria to refresh my memory of the disease. Came across mention of one variety of the disease that lives on a type of Willow tree and can spread from there to other plants. It is something that the wind can blow around like some mildews or molds.

If it is in the area you might be faced with having to do something extra even if you do not see it on the plants. Might have to treat the soil in the pots or spray the plants even if there are no signs on the leaves yet.

At least when on my computer up at the top of every page of messages is a row of words. The last one is "420 PHOTOS". If I click on that the first line of the drop-down menu is "Photo Gallery Guide: How To.....". When I click on that the page that opens up is how to put photos in the Gallery and how to put one from there into a message. The page is really helpful and was revised earlier, around mid-summer.
Thanks

91C5CEA4-A16D-4ED5-85CE-3883037FF62B.jpeg

How do you get rid of Septoria? Outdoor growing in Ontario Canada.
This is the second year that it has destroyed my plants.
Any ideas anyone?

you'll never get rid of it if you continue to plant in the same spots.

change where you plant and make sure you prepare the ground carefully. get rid of excess compost on the top of the soil and isolate your plants away from anything else growing.

the other plants around yours are harboring the fungus yr over yr and it has probably gotten in the soil. septoria will work into the soil and stay there over winter if there were enough infected plants in the area.

you'll never get rid of it if you continue to plant in the same spots.

change where you plant and make sure you prepare the ground carefully. get rid of excess compost on the top of the soil and isolate your plants away from anything else growing.

the other plants around yours are harboring the fungus yr over yr and it has probably gotten in the soil. septoria will work into the soil and stay there over winter if there were enough infected plants in the area.
Thanks

Hey @McArthur,

I grow outdoors in a greenhouse in a warm, wet tropical environment here in Hawaii. I deal with lots of leaf spot mold, including both septoria and downy mildew. I have given up trying to fight it, and instead have been looking for fungus resistant strains. I've got two now that are very good, and they are both from Humboldt Seed Company (HSC). One is Humboldt Dream which is quite resistant to leaf spot mold, but not 100%, and also resistant to bud rot, although not 100%. The other is HI-BISCUS, which I've found is 100% bud rot resistant; however, not leaf spot mold resistant. My research now is focusing on terpene profiles as relates to fungus resistance.

Feel free to check out the research I'm doing in my thread, linked in my signature.

:ciao:

Back
Top Bottom