Serenity's First Grow

Thanks Xenon

Now my paranoia of the day haha
Woke up this morning and #2 had broke soil! Was maybe 3/4" tall and hadn't opened yet.

Fast forward to an hour ago. I get home and check....the sprout was totally wilted!!! Almost laying on the ground sideways.
There was a crinkled skin kind of thing wrapped around the cotyledons. It wasn't the shell, but some kind of skin or something. I very gently removed the skin with super fine tweezers. I didn't tug or anything and it came off very easily. But then I look at the leaves and one is green and the other is dark brown. The cotyledons are still stuck together though.

I have a horrible feeling that skin trapped the leaves killed my sprout. And sadly it was my last seed too. Is there any hope at all for this girl?

Thanks Xenon

Now my paranoia of the day haha
Woke up this morning and #2 had broke soil! Was maybe 3/4" tall and hadn't opened yet.

Fast forward to an hour ago. I get home and check....the sprout was totally wilted!!! Almost laying on the ground sideways.
There was a crinkled skin kind of thing wrapped around the cotyledons. It wasn't the shell, but some kind of skin or something. I very gently removed the skin with super fine tweezers. I didn't tug or anything and it came off very easily. But then I look at the leaves and one is green and the other is dark brown. The cotyledons are still stuck together though.

I have a horrible feeling that skin trapped the leaves killed my sprout. And sadly it was my last seed too. Is there any hope at all for this girl?
Not too sure.. Sounds like it got wayyy too hot to me.

13 days old. Now running under 138w of CFLs. I dosed her with 1/4 strength nutes last night and she is LOVING it. So far this is honestly the most growth I've seen in such short time.
A whole new set of fan leaves emerging and undergrowth like no other. Honestly she put out a couple entire fans of undergrowth while I was at work! Nutes for the win lol.

Also, any kind of LST or anything you all might recommend to get some more light to the undergrowth? Or is that even necessary?
IMG_20160301_163830928_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160301_163837260_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160301_163845496_HDR.jpg

Looking fantastic.

Once the side branching gets a little bigger you can tuck the fan leaves below them. You'll have to do that daily for a while until the branches can hold them back on their own.

For the next week I'd simply keep doing what you're doing. It's working. I'm a little conservative, though.

Cheers!

Looking fantastic.

Once the side branching gets a little bigger you can tuck the fan leaves below them. You'll have to do that daily for a while until the branches can hold them back on their own.

For the next week I'd simply keep doing what you're doing. It's working. I'm a little conservative, though.

Cheers!

Cool. Thank you! I'll start tucking the leaves in couple days when they grow more. I want to be a bit conservative as well now that she is my only survivor. Her response truly couldn't be better to the nutrients though. Depending how big she gets by the weekend I may move up to 1/2 strength on the next feed.

Cool. Thank you! I'll start tucking the leaves in couple days when they grow more. I want to be a bit conservative as well now that she is my only survivor. Her response truly couldn't be better to the nutrients though. Depending how big she gets by the weekend I may move up to 1/2 strength on the next feed.

Just be careful not to burn them. Once you start noticing the yellow tips, back off just slightly. Tucking fan leaves is almost a must-do. You'll see more growth tops getting light and popping up.

No yellow tips thus far. I'll see again when I get home.

If she isn't burnt would it be OK to feed her again today or tomorrow? Or do they prefer some normal water between feeding?

Also some speculation.
Some growers only feed with no water in between.
I'm planning on alternating, then once they get later, I'll start adding molasses to my regular waterings.

The key is to let them dry out completely before watering. If they still feel a little heavy, or damp, give it another half day. Roots need that nice air bath to breathe.
it's MUCH easier to kill a planter due to overwatering as opposed to underwatering.(That doesn't mean skipping multiple waterings during late flower, you'll regret that lol)

The key is to let them dry out completely before watering. If they still feel a little heavy, or damp, give it another half day. Roots need that nice air bath to breathe.
it's MUCH easier to kill a planter due to overwatering as opposed to underwatering.(That doesn't mean skipping multiple waterings during late flower, you'll regret that lol)

Lol. Yea I know they like a bit dry. I'll probably water her tomorrow. I like to think I'm decent at feeling the soul moisture with my finger. I also think that her roots are getting deeper so she is able to drunk from lower in the bucket when the water percs.

This fish fertilizer is supposedly hard to burn with too so hopefully I can get up to full strength in the next couple weeks. I would love to feed her with every water, I just didn't know the consensus on that. The nutes in the soil are probably about gone now so I'll likely move to 1/2 strength next feed.

Lol. Yea I know they like a bit dry. I'll probably water her tomorrow. I like to think I'm decent at feeling the soul moisture with my finger. I also think that her roots are getting deeper so she is able to drunk from lower in the bucket when the water percs.

This fish fertilizer is supposedly hard to burn with too so hopefully I can get up to full strength in the next couple weeks. I would love to feed her with every water, I just didn't know the consensus on that. The nutes in the soil are probably about gone now so I'll likely move to 1/2 strength next feed.
Sounds good. check out the feed schedule i just posted over in my thread.

also, do you feel from the bottom through drainage holes or not?

13 days old. Now running under 138w of CFLs. I dosed her with 1/4 strength nutes last night and she is LOVING it. So far this is honestly the most growth I've seen in such short time.
A whole new set of fan leaves emerging and undergrowth like no other. Honestly she put out a couple entire fans of undergrowth while I was at work! Nutes for the win lol.

Also, any kind of LST or anything you all might recommend to get some more light to the undergrowth? Or is that even necessary?
IMG_20160301_163830928_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160301_163837260_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160301_163845496_HDR.jpg

Hi Serenity , your girl looks good for 13 days , i would ponytail her for 5-6 hours a day .

DSC_5412.JPG

DSC_5416.JPG

By doing this you give the lower growth more light , you will be surprised buy the growth , and after tuck the fans .
Don't go to heavy on the nutes for another week , over time you will learn how much to give them .
If you start to get tip burn by giving too much , i will guaranty it will get worse before it stops .
Have a look at my grow , i never feed more than half strength now , even in flower .
As regards Lst , i would leave her be for another week , then look again .
Your doing ok mate .
Be safe .

Awesome guys. Thank you. I'll have to get some pipe cleaners tomorrow I guess.

I know ponytailing involves folding up the top growth. Is this gonna make her stop putting effort into those leaves? Also am I staking that in or just wrapping it up and leave it be?
Also the main fan leaves.....stake those down or just fold the low growth over them?

Thanks again guys. I'm just trying to make her the best plant she can be!

Edit: oops one other thing. How long would it take to see tip burn after feeding? I fed her 3 days ago and nothing yet.

Me personally i would ponytail for a week to let the lower growth catch up , remember it is only for 5-6 hours a day .
The pipe cleaners are light so no need to stake .
when you are not ponytailing then tuck the leaves , i take it one step further and do what i call super tucking .
You simply squeeze the stem in 1 or 2 places to get it to hang vertical , it does not hurt the leaf in my view , they don't die .
Be safe .

Serenity your plant looks absolutely amazing for being so young. I wish mine would catch up to yours. Such a nice shade of green. Props to you for doing your research first. Subbed.

Thank you very much! That means a lot. I'll pop over to your grow and have a look!

I can't take much credit for this plants progress though lol. I've done what I needed to do but genetics are a good part of this. And nature. I can only optimize the environment to the best of my ability, she's doing all the rest lol

Back
Top Bottom