Severe Anxiety & Insomnia Strain Really Needed?

HigherTheHigh

Hello all.

So like the title says, i really need a indica based strain to help me with both anxiety and insomnia, as the past month my life feels like its deteriorated dramatically.

I have had around 20 Hours sleep in the past 4 weeks, iv been smoking on some Super Skunk and thats not helping at all, maybe if it had been left longer it may of knocked me out better.

Im growing Northern Lights but im wanting to know if there is any that has worked for you?

Thank!

I'm also interested in other members' feedback on this one.

But while you're waiting for that, typing:
Code:
strong indica strain for sleep
into a handy Internet search engine will give you about 488,000 results. The entire first page (when I did, just now) is filled with articles that have names like:
The Best Cannabis Strains for Sleep and Insomnia
Top 5 Strains For Insomnia
The 10 Best Marijuana Strains for Insomnia | HelloMD ("Grape Ape is an indica cannabis strain that produces what's known as a heavy high or "couch lock." However, its effects are known to come on slowly, which makes it good for helping people fall asleep and stay asleep.")
20 Cannabis Strains to Help You Sleep

I removed most of the identifiers from that list, as some of them might be supported by sponsors that are different than ours (possibly competitors to ours, IDK). And some of those might be blog articles at seedbanks that could be simple compilations of likely strains' breeders' descriptions (which does not automatically lessen their utility, I suppose). But you should still find some useful information.

Hello @TorturedSoul

Yes i got exactly the same, all these articles stating they can help you but you cant beat good old one on one advice on the matter.

Its all fine and dandy these seed banks saying what affects each strain give you but iv know two strains iv grown that were completely the opposite of what they were supposed to do, but theres always the other facts of how its grown, or how long, conditions ect.

Like i said above being the conditions, im growing some Northern Lights and Super Skunk with 1 Critical, the N/L is absolutely perfect, bud structure and calyxes are already fully mature in looks, smell, trichomes are mostly cloudy, super dense nugs and for that reason im getting worried because everytime i get rock hard nugs i end up developing bud rot and thats with my conditions perfect, the Critical i have going thats just as great, bud structure is perfect but 1 more week and there calyxes will be mature and swelled, now the S/S is in the same tent and they are so big in bud size but no where near as tight, for some reason the 28-29c heat just does not agree with this strain at all.

Now i know all strains are different and can not be compared with each other, but having said that, my friend is growing same strain, same feed schedule, everything mirrored barring his temps are at 30/31 since 12/12 yet his buds are slightly smaller than mine but so different, bud structure is way off and these seeds were from the same packet, i cant see 5 plants 1 pheno and another 5 plants another pheno, that would be some good odds, same with the N/L, buds are always different, iv never had the same bud structure i dont think.

So this is why i think its better to ask and if someones grown the same strain a few times they may be able to see if there experiences are like mine.

Iv just harvested another Super Skunk tonight that i let go for 9 weeks and 4 days in flower but i never checked the trichs so im hoping its going to make me a little sleepy, my N/L,S/S and Critical get harvested on the 20th of this month giving them 8 weeks and 5 days of flower or 12/12.

Iv just harvested another Super Skunk tonight
im hoping its going to make me a little sleepy

Super Skunk is (if I'm not mistaken; it's been a while since I've read up on it) is Skunk crossed with an Afghani. Skunk is a polyhybrid that, while containing Afghani (indica) genetics, also contains Columbian Gold and Acapulco Gold (both landrace sativas). While true sativa afficinados would turn up their noses at such a strain (and for good reason ;) ), it's certainly not what I'd consider to be an indica. So when I find myself typing this:
Good luck with that.
Know that there's no sarcasm in that statement; I honestly hope it works for you, but do have some doubts that it will.

The Northern Lights ought to be much more appropriate, IMHO. I've grown it in the past, although I don't recall which specific one. It wasn't the one that tended to auto-flower is all that I do remember. That and it not having much in the way of odor.

I've been living the life of an insomniac so long... I've been thinking about looking through my seed collection for a decent indica(ish) strain to grow in the cooler months, then turning the harvest into an extract specifically for use ~one hour before bed time. So... Yes, I'm definitely interested in others' personal experiences, especially with more recent strains. I've got a fairly decent-sized set - although only one or two seeds each for most of them, so the odds of winning the "phenotype lottery" are not great :( - maybe 30+ strains, and there are many on that list that I haven't grown before. It's... Well, to be honest with you, I've never been a fan of indicas in general, always having preferred sativas and sativa-leaning hybrids. But as I get older, I realize more and more that I could potentially benefit from them medicinally. And, since I don't actually like them, lol, I find myself in the same boat that you are, wanting to know others' opinions. Limited space, limited resources, severely limited electrical capacity... I'm hesitant to devote grow space to something that might help.

Two things to consider trying:

1) Let your grow go much longer than usual before harvest...wait til almost all trichs are amber. Regardless of the strain, this will make the buzz "sleepier" (I don't like sleepy weed, so I tend to harvest quite a bit earlier than most do.) You'll lose some of the peak buzz going late, but it should produce much sleepier weed.

2) Hi CBD flower or concentrate. CBD is pretty good for anti-anxiety. I've got a friend who's taking highly concentrated CBD oil as a sleep aid & it's helped him immensely with his erratic sleep.

Of course, every body is different.

On the non-weed side of things acupuncture helps some folks & almost everyone benefits from increased exercise.

Best to you in your search...insomnia is nasty.

So I'm currently reading new posts in one of SweetSue's ( @SweetSue ) threads, and I barely notice the handwritten label on one of her jars of bud in a picture. That label states:
SLEEP ZZzz
Low & Slow
Dinachem

Like me, she favors sativas - but she also helps others, so perhaps that's for one of them? IDK. But you might ask her opinion on any strains that could be what you're looking for. I'm hoping she'll notice the "paging."

I did indeed notice TS. :hug:

Dinachem, or Chemdawg, is one powerful sleep med in my house. When I’m still up at 2 AM and can’t seem to make myself stop 3 hits will slam the eyelids shut. I know I’d best be on my way to bed or I’ll wake up on the floor. Lol!

Every body is different, but this also works for my daughter.

Be aware that CBD is considered an alerting cannabinoid and it’s suggested you not take it too close to bedtime. @andIhalped, I’m intrigued about your friend’s use of CBD oil as a sleep aid. Would you be able to find out the particulars of how this friend is using the oil?

I did indeed notice TS. :hug:

Dinachem, or Chemdawg, is one powerful sleep med in my house. When I’m still up at 2 AM and can’t seem to make myself stop 3 hits will slam the eyelids shut. I know I’d best be on my way to bed or I’ll wake up on the floor. Lol!

Every body is different, but this also works for my daughter.

Be aware that CBD is considered an alerting cannabinoid and it’s suggested you not take it too close to bedtime. @andIhalped, I’m intrigued about your friend’s use of CBD oil as a sleep aid. Would you be able to find out the particulars of how this friend is using the oil?

My good friend takes about 1/2 tsp about 2 hrs before turning in. It's a commercially made local product w/ no thc that can be used orally or topically. Rec'd (not prescribed) to him by his doctor. The doc told him that several of his female patients with menopausal-related sleep issues found it to be quite helpful, so he occasionally suggests that folks try it for sleep issues.

Never heard of CBD as an alerting agent. Got another buddy that vapes really concentrated CBD (about 60%) for his non-epileptic seizures & his main complaint is that it makes him really drowsy.

More exercise is always a good try to accompany any other sort of effort to rein in insomnia. It has side effects, but they're all beneficial. ( A lot of stuff that plagues folks has some roots in or is exacerbated from being too sedentary.)

Hello all.

First of all thanks for all your comments!

So i know you stated CBD but if i ever take it before bed it actually wakes me up more and makes my insomnia worst, iv heard people can be allergic to CBD but not THC.

So Dinachem or Chemdawg may work for me then, could you give me a little info on how you grew it and how many days from 12/12 did you harvest? im going to be down sizing all of my tents from november so ill be using a small 90x60x90 seedling tent with a LED light, im planning on scrogging as there is very little height.

So my current plants get harvested on the 20th of this month, i usually harvest N/L at week 7.5-8 with mostly cloudy/amber so this time around they will be getting 8 weeks and 5 days, this will be the longest iv ever grown this strain and its quite strong at 7.5 weeks, i also have 1 Critical thats also looking very juicy, thats also a night time strain too i think.

I would love to be able to get out and get physical exercise but health is not really friends with me at the moment, i do try my best though, did a little bit of outdoor gardening yesterday and today im swapping over fans and filters, thats basically my gym work for today!

I also have some O.G. Kush growing ready to be flipped to 12/12 on the 20th, has that strain worked for anyone?

I’d recommend northern lights. It’s Not to potent. Very good winding down relaxing strain. It leaves you super clear headed with a nice body relax. I grew a NLA and it was super hardy and came in with 14oz great buds.

Hello all,
Whatever strain is settled on, I think Amber trichomes are key, as is the type of consumption.

Making edibles gives me a stronger body stone, which also lasts much longer, meaning I fall asleep easier and am less likely to wake.

Hope this helps
Egger

Hello all.

Hello all.

So i know you stated CBD but if i ever take it before bed it actually wakes me up more and makes my insomnia worst, iv heard people can be allergic to CBD but not THC.

So Dinachem or Chemdawg may work for me then, could you give me a little info on how you grew it and how many days from 12/12 did you harvest? im going to be down sizing all of my tents from november so ill be using a small 90x60x90 seedling tent with a LED light, im planning on scrogging as there is very little height.

So my current plants get harvested on the 20th of this month, i usually harvest N/L at week 7.5-8 with mostly cloudy/amber so this time around they will be getting 8 weeks and 5 days, this will be the longest iv ever grown this strain and its quite strong at 7.5 weeks, i also have 1 Critical thats also looking very juicy, thats also a night time strain too i think.

I would love to be able to get out and get physical exercise but health is not really friends with me at the moment, i do try my best though, did a little bit of outdoor gardening yesterday and today im swapping over fans and filters, thats basically my gym work for today!

I also have some O.G. Kush growing ready to be flipped to 12/12 on the 20th, has that strain worked for anyone?

Let your grow go much longer than usual before harvest...wait til almost all trichs are amber. Regardless of the strain, this will make the buzz "sleepier"

THC(a) degrades into CBN(a), so this makes sense. And that's probably the only valid reason to ever harvest late (IMHO). I've had some concerns about the muddiness - having assumed that CBN accounts for much of the "morning after" feeling that some strains produce - but if it works, it works.

I had no idea the strain was considered that useful for insomnia. I'll have to try some before bedtime one of these years.

Do you smoke immediately before, or some period of time before trying to fall asleep?

I really should treat it like a serious issue (because it is, really, I suppose). I shouldn't consume caffeine after 2:00pm, but it seems to help with the headaches (although it might just be that, when I'm consuming it, I do not get additional ones from caffeine withdrawal :rolleyes: ) . I should configure my computer to start redshifting my monitor late afternoon, gradually increasing this as the evening progresses. And I should learn to dim all lighting by at least an hour before my planned bedtime. But that makes it harder to read.

Hello guys yes im running these 2 northern lights and 1 critical for 8 weeks and 5 days, i usually get a good % of amber at week 8 but these extra 5 days may make the difference, if not iv got another 4 ready to be flipped to 12/12 in 8 days time as well as 4 O.G. Kush these 3 strains are the testers to see which is going to be the best, as ill be running a small 90x60x90 tent next time with a scrog.

Im very happy with the critical iv got growing, its maby a 3-4oz plant with absolutley great buds, that are now starting to really mature with bright golden hairs so the northern lights and critical are good yielders whish is also important for when i do my scrog.

I can run my plants until 9 weeks or more but my buds are so dense they end up getting bud rot due to this, even in the perfect environment its a worry when im trying to keep my buds fresh and bug free!

THC(a) degrades into CBN(a), so this makes sense. And that's probably the only valid reason to ever harvest late (IMHO). I've had some concerns about the muddiness - having assumed that CBN accounts for much of the "morning after" feeling that some strains produce - but if it works, it works.

Yep, that's why letting it go long will work. "Stale" weed will do the same thing, for the same reason.

Right. I just hate... I hate the thought of not harvesting a thing when it's at the peak of its particular potency. Would rather find a strain/phenotype that provides the cannabinoid profile that I want when harvested on its proper finish date.

I realize this is not always possible, for some people, in some situations. Sometimes a cannabis grow ends up being a "run what ya brung" affair.

Indica's vary just as sativa's. Saying one is good for insomnia is pretty general. I have found that Berry indica's are better for insomnia. Granddaddy Purple being one of the best for it. Not sure if its in the terepene's or what. Most seem to have more of a warm calming affect as opposed to just getting you stoned. I have found the same thing with BCBD purps. It isn't as strong as the Grandaddy but the effects are the same.
There is a difference in the highs between a Berry indica and a Hashy one.

Hello all.

So like the title says, i really need a indica based strain to help me with both anxiety and insomnia, as the past month my life feels like its deteriorated dramatically.

I have had around 20 Hours sleep in the past 4 weeks, iv been smoking on some Super Skunk and thats not helping at all, maybe if it had been left longer it may of knocked me out better.

Im growing Northern Lights but im wanting to know if there is any that has worked for you?

Thank!

Hey!
Have you tried White Widow??

Good day everybody !
I can only recommend what works for me. im diagnosed with severe anxiety, (passed out in a grocery store it was so bad). And also a sleep disorder. grand daddy purple was recommended to me by my doctor, works great for sleep, however did not work so great for a daytime med. My happy medium is a really good Kush, or a cross with Kush.

Hello @Brewer

Thats how my anxiety is getting, starting to get dizy in semi crowded spaces, im growing some Northern Lights so thats going to be okay for the night time, im also growing some O.G. Kush so that may help during the day.

Im also running White Widow x Bigbud so im excited to try that.

Back
Top Bottom