Sillysally's First Grow - Strawberry Blue & Blue Widow

So things are definitely looking better here after watering with the ph-ed water. The brown spots/yellowing of the leaves hasn't progressed to any of the newer growth.
The Strawberry Blue definitely got the brunt of the damage but it appears she is trying to repair herself down near the bottom by sprouting new leaves. (sorry for the crappy cell pics)
2015-01-21_19_31_19.jpg

Although when I look at her top it almost looks like she's already showing pre-flowers?? I know this isn't the best pic...
2015-01-21_19_30_52.jpg

The Blue Widow is definitely more robust than the Strawberry Blue, although she also fell victim to the ph issues. I topped her the other day, I know I probably should have waited til she bounced back a bit more, but she seems to be taking it in stride.
2015-01-21_19_32_08.jpg
2015-01-21_19_32_22.jpg

I plan on doing a nice big flush maybe tomorrow to try and clear out any excess nutes as well.

The new growth looks promising Sally. Keeping the positive vibes flowing. Keep talking to them. Plants love that affection. As they grow stronger the growing medium becomes easier for them to deal with. These aren't autos are they? If not, you're too early for pre flowers, so my guess would be that it's new growth on the Strawberry Blue.

So it looks like leaf damage has halted after switched to the ph-ed water, but it seems like the growth has as well!
I went ahead and removed all of the leaves that were toast and the remaining growth is nice and green/healthy, but both plants seem a bit stunted.
The Blue Widow was topped several days ago so I'm guessing part of the slow growth is due to that. I'm planning on transplanting them both today to their final containers.
2015-01-24_08_35_51.jpg

I was just planning on planting part of her stem due to the fact that there really aren't any leaves on the lower portion of the stem.
2015-01-24_08_36_21.jpg

The Strawberry Blue is a bit of a different story...
I swear that these are pre-flowers on her!??
2015-01-24_08_36_58.jpg

I was initially going to plant part of her stem during the transplant as well, but she seems to be regrowing leaves down below. Should i just transplant her the way she is?
2015-01-24_08_37_30.jpg

Sally, I'm as surprised as you - that looks for all the world like pre flowers. She's showing lots of new leaf growth on her stem, so I definitely would not bury that growth. Looking closely at your picture I believe I see the same thing happening with your Blue Widow. I think I see very tiny leaves beginning to grow on her lower stem. Look closely before you bury that.

I'm glad you're transplanting today. They look like they need more space. Good luck. Shower them with love Sally. :love:

:Namaste:

So I went ahead and transplanted both girls today and I'm glad that I did. The Blue Widow had some crazy roots going on and was definitely a bit root bound. I'm hoping that is what's to blame for the recent slowing in her growth. I have a feeling she's going to do great after the transplant. She's definitely been the hardier plant so far...
2015-01-25_15_04_08.jpg
2015-01-25_15_04_36.jpg
2015-01-25_15_37_15.jpg

The Strawberry Blue's roots were definitely not as developed but she had some good ones going on as well and defintely wasn't root bound. I meant to grab a photo of both but I was more concerned with getting them planted. I've noticed she's starting to have some more of the brown spotting/yellowing on some more leaves but definitely not as bad as before. She still has the pre-flowers going on so I'm not sure what to do on that front. Will keeping her on the 24 hour light cycle snap her back to focusing on veg or am I screwed?
2015-01-25_15_04_55.jpg
2015-01-25_15_37_24.jpg

The only reason I can think of for those obvious pre-flowers is that they sent you an auto seed by mistake. No way should a photo flowering plant be flowering this early. They should rebound a bit now that they're repotted, so I'd watch them for a couple days. Being root bound would account for the slow growth on the Blue Widow. I have no idea about the Strawberry Blue. If it is an auto it won't matter about the light at this time.

Hopefully someone with more experience will come along and offer some explanation.

Pre-Flowers on a photo plant might show if the plant was close to death. It is a defense mechanism that they do in order to try and somehow reproduce.

Is there any way you know of to halt that process and send it back to veg UltraDan?

i know some clones i cut started to flower , i just kept them under 20/4 lights and the re veg , they fire out some strange looking leaves , but the good thing is when they do take they go mad , they end up monster crops,,,, some times cutting from a flowering plant works wonders , but they can only be in flower for a short time , 3 weeks tops or they wont re veg or it takes for ever

Is there any way you know of to halt that process and send it back to veg UltraDan?

The only thing I've seen/ heard is basically what paddysmoke said. Keep them on 20/4 light cycle and they should re-veg. A little time and patience and we should be able to tell with the new growth.

So things are definitely looking better after the transplant. Both of the plants have perked up and are showing new growth. I'm just going to let the Strawberry Blue do its thing and see what comes of it. I also decided to start a freebie auto that I received Sugar Mango Ryder. I started the seed soaking in a shot glass and then moved it over to a wet paper towel for about 24 hours. Just went ahead and planted her straight into a ~3 gal container with the same FFOF and perlite mix.

Here's the newbie Sugar Mango showing off her nice little tap root.
2015-01-29_19_34_16.jpg

Here's the Blue Widow and the new growth she's got going on.
2015-01-29_19_33_06.jpg
2015-01-29_19_33_49.jpg

Then last but not least my weirdo Strawberry Blue...
2015-01-29_19_32_46.jpg
2015-01-29_19_33_27.jpg

Glad to see your BW is on the upswing :cheer:

Looks like stress (maybe pH-lockout or overfert) caused your SB to push out some strategic pistils, while still in Veg. Like UltraDan said, she's trying to complete her mission to reproduce, and this is in response to her health. She's too underdeveloped to flower right now, so instead of flipping her to 12/12 lighting for flowering - I'd keep her on 18+ hours or more of light. If she's well enough, and it looks like she is, she'll grow out of it. The transplant into fresh soil should help. I would avoid adding any nutrients for some time, and just add the best water you find.

Spring Water that's been pH'd to ~6.5 or a little lower, would do her wonders, even if you switch back to tap later. If you have city water and have chloramine in it, you can go to the Pet Store and get StressCoat+ which will neutralize it ... 2$ for a tiny bottle that lasts for many months.

If she does grow out of it, she'll grow single blade leafs that are smooth. From there, the growth pattern is very branchy and production is generally excellent. I think it will happen a bit more quickly than a real re-veg or monster crop, as your plant never was truly flowering - just badly stressed. I'm interested in her progress, and hope you get her back on track :cheer:

Her new growth will go though a weird looking stage - and then go back to normal. She'll probably look similar to this flowering clone - note the single blad leafs that grow from the center bud. :Namaste:

IMAG17462.jpg

Thanks for all the info CareStaker!
I only have the one grow area, so I was just planning on keeping her in there with the vegging BW and the SM. I switched the lights over to 20/4 to save a few bucks but definitely not 12/12. I hope the SB bounces back but we'll see what happens! How long does a re-veg/monster crop usually take?

Anytime. :Namaste: I've not done a lot of re-Veg but the few that I've done take a couple of weeks to turn. SB has some nice effects and flavor, so she's worth the wait, hope she turns around for ya! :volcano-smiley:

Things seem to be chugging right along over here.

The sugar mango ryder broke ground yesterday and is looking good. It's stretching a bit more than I want so I went ahead and put the container on top of a box to get it closer to the light.
2015-02-01_15_35_58.jpg

The blue widow is throwing out new growth like crazy. I had topped it before I transplanted and the growth stunted quite a bit. Now I can't tell how many tops it has going? It's got what looks like 2 from the area I topped it at, and then it looks like the 2 that usually take over after a topping are growing as well? Should I pull those main fan leaves down to get the little "side tops" some more light?
2015-02-01_15_37_45.jpg
2015-02-01_15_36_48.jpg
2015-02-01_15_37_13.jpg

The strawberry blue is doing her thing too. It looks like she's stacking on some more buds, don't see any signs of re-vegging.
2015-02-01_15_38_26.jpg
2015-02-01_15_38_04.jpg

EDIT:
So I just went ahead and decided to do a little lst and pull those fan leaves away from the tops. There's so much going on up there I just can't tell how many tops there are...

2015-02-01_16_16_08.jpg
2015-02-01_16_15_59.jpg
2015-02-01_16_15_36.jpg

Back
Top Bottom