Smell

tell whoever is complaining to plug their nose? oh wait the smell will still be there :rofl: not sure I would say carbon filter but you have done that. Silly thing to ask but it is on the exhaust right? :ganjamon: I'm the type that would mess that up:passitleft:

LMAO at comments.

Hey, OP, are you getting the "10inch" measurement from the diameter of the duct flange like everyone else does, or... Because, for example, a ten inch Can-Filter brand Can-Lite 1500 is four feet long and weighs something like 48 pounds. It's also rated for 1,500 cubic feet per minute of airflow, which... well, explains why you received the comments that you did :rolleyes: .

According to the product sizing calculator on their web page, that should be sufficient for a grow space that is 8' high, 10' wide, and 28' long. Assuming it's not also needed to cool the space. That may or may not be somewhat optimistic, IDK - but it's almost certainly larger than the average personal/hobby cannabis grower requires.

There are smaller carbon filters that are available with 10" duct flanges, but even they seem to start at something like a 420 CFM flow capacity (and hardly anyone buys those in a 10" version, anyway, going with 8" instead).

Anyway, the usual suspects are: Filter too small, filter "used up," fan is flowing air through the filter at a rate that exceeds the filter's capacity, and air leaks allowing the odoriferous air to escape the filter path.

Hey Foolish,

I don’t run an extraction fan.... and please I’m not insinuating that you are ignorant.... but I’ve seen a few photos of weird filter & extraction ducting setup that defy logic and understanding. As long as you are picking up the hot air at the top of the tent, sucking it thru the filter and into the fan then pushing or venting that air to outdoors (helps if it’s a short direct route with as few as possible 90 degree bends) you should be good provided that the CFM numbers work out right. There are plenty of whizzes here that can run calculations etc but if the intake and ducting are wrong (ie trying to pull hot air and odor out of the bottom of the tent) well let’s just say that dog doesn’t hunt. Warm air rises and cool air sinks and that odor is more pungent up in the warmer air... that’s the air that you want to express out of the tent and home.

We did an inspection on a home with a wood stove and they had installed the stovepipe sections backwards (the lap joints were wrong) where it filled the basement with smoke.... it could have easily burned the place down ....... seriously they walk among us.

how big is that grow space you are trying to ventilate?

I would not put ona gel near my grow..... yes absolutely different scents can be picked up by the plant and reflected into your final bud, you can smell it, you can taste it. Yes, I've heard of ona flavored buds before... and folks were pretty pissed off about it.

stop right now and do a search on ona gel here and read several of pages of comments....but know this ona gel is a popular product and has been used successfully but it can also taint your buds. The way to use ona gel is on the far end right before it exits your space and goes outdoors plus I bet it dries up fairly quick with the extra airflow. You could probably do just as well by putting a standard room deodorizer on the extreme output side as it exits your home, vent or window.

See Post #78 My multiquote is hosed but yeah study up

I have read and heard the same as @013 about the Ona fragrance packs. They can be a real disaster in the grow room area. And one of the guys who warned against using them in the area of the flowering plants was someone who worked at a grow shop that sold them

The recommendation is to put them in a room on another floor where the grower does not want people to notice the aroma of flowering plants. As in put one in the living room so that family and guests do not notice the smell.

I’ve written a few pieces on here about flavored bud and everyone acts like I’m stoned out of my gourd. Well I certainly hope so and that’s beside the point but there is so much more to this.

I keep saying and I understand that I don’t have a scientific test results but hear me say it again..... YES scents can be transferred from soil, from air, from water, from grow media into your bud and SOME scents can be easily noticed upon smelling or taste or consumption..... this is not freaking rocket science...other scents may not be detectable by the average nose, guess there are many factors that could impact this.

Why do you think half the growers want to flush there plants? Yes there can be merits in a flush to fix a problem or to reset so you can make final flower push with full nutrient uptake etc etc. but you know as well as I do that 90% are trying to flush roots to improve taste. Yep I‘m sure I’m gonna draw fire down from the elders and shit but that’s ok.

Grow plants beside a hog waste lagoon and you get Eau de Hog Shit in your bud. Feed them fish ferts and those fish ferts will be reflected in the bud - maybe not strong but it will be in there. Place your grow tent right beside the clothes dryer and you get that fresh laundry scent in your bud.

so what I’m saying is fuck science cause this is so plain.... been there done that got the t-shirt. One day science will catch up and someone can say oh yeah now I believe it, but you heard it here first apparently.

Again I don’t need to make a name, this is penny ante stuff but I‘m gonna run a test as soon as I get some clones going. I’m calling in a dude I just met on here last month that lives an hour or two away Hey @Stormblessed.... if I run 2 flavored clones - will you do the smell and taste test?

I understand this still doesn’t make it science - but then at least will you consider the possibilities?

The impression I got from what I read and what people talked about was not that the smell got into the stems, leaves and buds. Instead it was that the chemicals or whatever is used as the carrier for the odor coats the surface of the plant and is pretty much impossible to wash off.

And there is a difference between the plant absorbing the nutrient smells through the root system and picking up the smell from the Hog Ranch lagoon because the molecules of "Eau de Hog" are settling on the surfaces of the plant.

Example would be the guy who works the waste lagoon all day. He goes home and smells like the "Eau de Hog" until 10 minutes under a shower constantly scrubbing with sudsy soap.

We could get rid of the Ona smell and chemicals on the buds but doing so would scrub the trichomes off and and all that scrubbing would destroy the buds.

It is a really nice day out there in southeast Michigan so I am going to sit, relax, take a couple of hits off the current joint and then go do a few chores that are piling up on the lawn and in the garden.

If your filter is properly fitted, sized, functional and paired with the appropriate fan you should be good. May have to play with fan speed if you have a controller.
I picked up a bottle of the concentrated ona liquid that i mix up in a spray bottle that works great at masking any odors in the house
I DO NOT USE IT IN THE GROW
but a few spritz in the garage before i open the door, especially if I just trimmed a harvest,etc. Does womders. Also use it in the house when decarbing bud for edibles.
Also works great for the bathroom!

Theres not much smell.... but in flowering there will be
Also I'm using a carbon filter
And inside the filter iv place the ona flavour neutralizer fragrance
Have u guys done that before
Not required.

Just extract air from the TOP of your room and vent out. If you filter is 4" or larger you will be fine unless youre growing Chemdawg then all bets off. lol

I just vent my space and into the same space with extracted air. I don't get any odor.

Keep it simple.

Read my comments here about the cinnamon top dress..... taken up from roots or proximity
Mint flavored weed
Read it the other day when you posted it. Interesting and it does make sense the way you explain it, just not sure that I can go with it. You mention that it can impart the flavor or scent by being close to a grow or cure. That would be the odor molecules settling on the surface of the flowers and leaves and not being taken up by the roots.

I keep thinking that if I could come up with a product that would give even more of a lemon taste and smell to Lemon Kush there would be money to be made. Or money to be made by having an orange juice concentrate or powder that can be mixed with the water during the last couple of weeks which would give a nice orange or sweet citrus taste to the buds.

Apologies looong day! I appreciate your opinion & it’s a kinda of a freak discovery. I’m ok if it totally fails - this is not something I planned. But while we are here may as well see how this pans out. I think this is worth tinkering with after setting a few parameters first I’m not gonna waste my good beans or buds or throw funky shit at them. Now I’ll run a pair of clones here & there to monkey with to see what develops.

Yes I agree the transmission by air or close proximity is weird but I’d still like to know more. The lemon sounds delicious and heck yes on citrus. I have some ideas on multiple fronts but I’m not comfortable on how anything leads to revenue streams.... once you breed or create a new strain that’s awesome but where’s the cash come in? Especially once you release cuts or the beans

I guess part of what fired me up was I heard a couple of.... that don’t work.. or that can‘t be done statements. I agree it’s far fetched and goes against the grain but hey I’m used to paddling upstream right - whatevs...?

thanks for humoring me & the reply!

Back
Top Bottom