How much smell do 3 small plants actually produce?

bludmangrow

Hey guys, starting to worry about how much my 3 plants are going to smell. I do not have any kind of carbonfilter system so simply pumping the air from the grow tent out in the room. My question is to you more professional growers, how much will it smell?

The strain is northern light and the plants have just entered bloom, no smell so far, unless you touch them. The plants are not really large either. Any input would help before acually getting myself a proper filter system / if you have any sweet recommendations how to get rid of any potential smell.

Cheers!

They don't smell much until they kick into flower and far as I know most strains start to really smell last few weeks of flower (as in they can stink up the place a lot). I'm not aware of any strains that don't smell, in my limited experience some smell a lot and some stink up the place way more than that ;).

Hey guys, starting to worry about how much my 3 plants are going to smell. I do not have any kind of carbonfilter system so simply pumping the air from the grow tent out in the room. My question is to you more professional growers, how much will it smell?

I've had a handful of small plants make the entire house smell... nice ;) . I've had harvests that were relatively mild in odor production - and one day, early on a Sunday morning, I was leaving my building to go to work when a local LEO read me the riot act about the smell, lol.

The strain is northern light

Back in the day there were a few NL strains. One tended to autoflower, IIRC. Another one was known for not producing much of an odor during flowering (etc.). You might have an evolution of that one.

The important thing to remember is that, if you spend all day amongst your garden - or even in the same residence - then you'll be far less likely to notice "a little" odor, while visitors (or other residents, if it's a multi-family structure) will be far more prone to notice. (Like how if you haven't had a shower today, you might be barely able to smell yourself and think things are fine... but people don't seem to want to stand anywhere near you, lol).

Another thing to be aware of is that things could be fine when you leave the house but you could conceivably return to discover... that things have changed while you were gone. I once came home to discover several of my neighbors looking for a skunk(!) one evening. "Be careful, we think it might be hiding under your porch." That was a bit of a panic-inducing situation....

Northern Lights has a reputation, I understand, for being a lower odor strain.

I had one Dwarf Low Flyer--1 dwarf--and left the window open and got a warning from the landlord about the smell.
(And yeah, like Tortured said, you'll start not to notice it, but others still will.)
And frankly, even if the neighbors aren't a big concern, smelling that skunky odor for weeks does get to be a bit much.
When your plants-- or even just one plant--goes into flower, you WILL need odor control.

2017-06-03_Warning_Letter_001.JPG

even if the neighbors aren't a big concern, smelling that skunky odor for weeks does get to be a bit much.

Neighbors, lol... If you have a spouse - especially one that works in an office environment, maybe a lot of people wearing ties - imagine her, fresh out of the shower, walking in to get dressed... and noticing that her entire wardrobe smells like cannabis.

I can honestly say that I don't have to imagine that one :rofl: .

Buy or build a carbon filter. Ensure a proper ventilation setup. The number one rule of growing cannabis is: Tell no one! What do you think the odor does?

Neighbors, lol... If you have a spouse - especially one that works in an office environment, maybe a lot of people wearing ties - imagine her, fresh out of the shower, walking in to get dressed... and noticing that her entire wardrobe smells like cannabis.

I can honestly say that I don't have to imagine that one :rofl: .

Buy or build a carbon filter. Ensure a proper ventilation setup. The number one rule of growing cannabis is: Tell no one! What do you think the odor does?

That is some of the best advice I have seen on this site. And like you I can honestly say I do not have to imagine that one either :rofl: .

I can remember the 1st year it became legal for recreational here in Oregon, I was driving down the street with my windows open and I could smell all the grows in town. Drive a few blocks, nothing then for a whole block, yep theres one, then nothing again till the next one

Some strings don't know as strong as others my BC big bud weeks but my blueberry does not smell very heavy at all

I can remember the 1st year it became legal for recreational here in Oregon, I was driving down the street with my windows open and I could smell all the grows in town. Drive a few blocks, nothing then for a whole block, yep theres one, then nothing again till the next one

Even in a location where it has been fully(+/-) legalized, I'd still run a filter to help deter thieves in the same way that I'd pull the garage door down after parking a nice vehicle inside (ya can't always be there to shoot the miscreant, ya know ;) ).

Some strings don't know as strong as others my BC big bud weeks but my blueberry does not smell very heavy at all

Last blueberry I grew smelled like a skunk waddled past a painting of some blueberry bushes - and stopped to p!ss on it. There were berry hints, but they seemed to fade about midway through the vegetative phase.

im growing northern lights from royal queen seeds at the moment and they are low odor but they do still stink and there only 5 weeks old, the last 2 weeks they can get pretty stinky.

im running a tornado 6" accoustic extractor with a 600mm carbon filter which helps!

anyone no what green crack smells like when growing in veg and flower?

If you fart in you're room it will stink up you're hole room imagine 3 plants, the answer is yes it will stink up you're room and you're house specially with out the proper ventilation. Imagine a fart that just won't away I mean the kind that even opening the windows won't help. So what you have is a 24/7 fart that never goes away.

If you fart in you're room it will stink up you're hole room imagine 3 plants, the answer is yes it will stink up you're room and you're house specially with out the proper ventilation. Imagine a fart that just won't away I mean the kind that even opening the windows won't help. So what you have is a 24/7 fart that never goes away.

Man... love it

If you can or have an outdoor fire place, burning would for a month or two is cheaper than a carbon filter.

It'll stick to anything indoors though, I generally have a fire burning and it just worked out as a good cover.. "smells like.. fire"... people think no more.. but inside.. shiet..
Carbon filters don't cost a great deal to begin with but they add on to that electricity bill.
Just a thought!

As a simple answer, 1 plant will stink up a 2 bedroom house and occasionally a few meter + radius.. 3 plants, if they reaaalll stanky, your great Aunt Tessie from over the way might be able to smell it.
A crop can dilute itself in the wild, but even then, 5-10 tress will have a good solid stank zone. Tents help, but not much.

This is true like my chick told me 5 years ago when I started growing in a spare room it won't smell that bad I told her she said fine. Well 4 plants later and a few months later she told me honey I can't stand the smell in this house my mother think we stay high 24/7, so come with me she showed me the back yard and said its you or the plants and she tapped me on the shoulder and said location location location. So I stick to outside growing my neighbors are our friends and we all get along very good but plants even outside smell if you drive down our street you can smell the plants. So if you have plants with out the proper ventilation no matter how big they are they can stink up you're house so if you trying to hide it you will short see that things will not go as planed.

As a simple answer, 1 plant will stink up a 2 bedroom house and occasionally a few meter + radius.. 3 plants, if they reaaalll stanky, your great Aunt Tessie from over the way might be able to smell it

My two girls are about 2' by 2' and they wreak! I mean whoa. Never would have thought 2 little ladies would stink up the house. I can even smell it outside. Considering a tent and carbon filter for the next grow...

If you fart in you're room it will stink up you're hole room imagine 3 plants

Im going to have to steal that haha :laughtwo:

My experience is pretty limited, but I'm in week 6 of veg with 5 plants and minimal smell. I thought for sure that I would've needed a filter by now, but am going to wait until flower to pick one up. Seeing as you're already there it may be more of a necessity since its about to get pretty loud in your place haha. Congrats on the grow!

P.S. - In the grand scheme of life problems ill take my weed smelling too loud any day of the week :yummy:

...then again, a fart can't get you arrested.

Back
Top Bottom