Sobergrower 2022 Bruce Banner Midway

We usually have a dozen or so encounters with these bull snakes each year. I do not mind them but have a blind dog and another dog that has a napoleon complex. As long as they stay out of the back yard they are fine.

I usually try to relocate them to the far corner of the property. This one was easily moved to a safer location. Bull snakes can be aggressive but they also keep rattle snakes at bay.
Save the puppies!!!

So these are generally not the snakes you need to be too wary of, I take it?

Well it is kind of like the Mutual of Omaha day here. Had another bull snake trying to climb to the upper deck (relocated to the front yard under a pine tree. Then the blind dog almost had a snack of a baby bird that fell out of its nest. Fortunately it looks like there are still three babies still in the nest.

F26CCD7C-22A8-41AB-93F2-54FD1CDBEEE4.jpeg

16722D48-85FB-491C-AC32-F2FAE86CDFCA.jpeg

A9821BC9-6F42-4CD8-968D-00111A61D0C4.jpeg

Hi SB, welcome and thanks for sharing your grow. So, those pots you use, do you think the shallow, wide dimensions have an impact on the above-ground plant morphology? Likely you chose because of height limits I think you said, nonetheless, wondering. Sounds like you have a great grow matrix to be able to fertigate that often, very interesting. Can you elaborate on your experiences with it? So, everything drains and then equalizes between the totes, and the outside res takes care of evaporation and the like? Is that what 'passive' means in this sense? Really cool, looks like you've got it all under control. What fertilizer and any extras? Apologies if I've forgotten already and you already mentioned earlier, this is happening to me a lot all of a sudden and it's a bit disconcerting.

Hi SB, welcome and thanks for sharing your grow. So, those pots you use, do you think the shallow, wide dimensions have an impact on the above-ground plant morphology? Likely you chose because of height limits I think you said, nonetheless, wondering. Sounds like you have a great grow matrix to be able to fertigate that often, very interesting. Can you elaborate on your experiences with it? So, everything drains and then equalizes between the totes, and the outside res takes care of evaporation and the like? Is that what 'passive' means in this sense? Really cool, looks like you've got it all under control. What fertilizer and any extras? Apologies if I've forgotten already and you already mentioned earlier, this is happening to me a lot all of a sudden and it's a bit disconcerting.
RD, thanks for stopping by and appreciate the interest in my grow. I discovered this way of growing on another site and take no credit accept that I decided to try it. It is affectionately called a Passive Plant Killer (PPK). There were multiple threads and revisions over the years. And lots of in depth discussions to figure out what worked and what didn’t. A lot of smart people paved the way. Towards the later developments folks were growing trees in 7 gallon modules and pulling pounds of each one. Mind you that was in a warehouse setting with optimal conditions.

I believe there is a correlation between container size and plant growth. In any container there is an area known as the pe arched water table. The planters I am using have a 2” pvc pipe that extends down into the sub irrigation system. In essence this moves the perched water table out of the main planter. I only vegged these plants for four weeks before flipping.

My previous grow in this tent was two plants. GSC and BRUCE BANNER. Those modules were larger and I did outgrow the tent.

Your understanding of the process is on target. All 5 of the totes are connected. When the pump fires, nutrient rich water is pulled from the center tub and dispersed via a manifold to the four plants. I flood the planter in the short duration cycle that the pump is on. When the pump shuts off the nutrients water drains into the associated tub and everything equalizes. During the drain cycle you can hear the oxygen being pulled into the planter.

As for the bulk reservoir there is a feed line (I use a RO float system tubing etc) that refills the sub irrigation system and maintains a consistent water level. Maintaining this consistent level is important.

For nutrients I use Jacks 5-12-26, cal-nit 15-0-0, Epsom salts, and add Great White once a week. I use the full strength feed schedule which is 3.7g of jacks 2.4g cal-nit, and 1.1g of Epsom per gallon of water. I am in well water and fortunate it has a base PPM of ~100 and PH of 7.0. I have not adjusted the PH this entire grow. It was hard to trust but I took a leap of faith and am pleased so far.

The last two photos above are the back building test colas. It does appear that they have stopped growing vertically.
Have you done back building before? I tried it on two plants, testing a couple of colas on each. They were definitely thicket but can't say any denser. Two foxtailed a bit as well. I'm curious if you've done it before and what you found.

Have you done back building before? I tried it on two plants, testing a couple of colas on each. They were definitely thicket but can't say any denser. Two foxtailed a bit as well. I'm curious if you've done it before and what you found.
I have not. This is a first for me. I guess we will find over the next few weeks. Do you remember how far along in flower you were? I did this in week five from flip. I wonder if it matters. I may do two more at the end of week six to see if there is any difference.

I have been battling some high humidity issues the last few days. In the morning it is ok but as the day goes on it starts to creep up. I know this is due to Transporation which is good but I am also concerned about WPM and the like. I have thought about doing some fan leaf removal to open up the airflow. It is a pretty thinly canopy with a lot of fan leaves.

I have not. This is a first for me. I guess we will find over the next few weeks. Do you remember how far along in flower you were? I did this in week five from flip. I wonder if it matters. I may do two more at the end of week six to see if there is any difference.
Believe indid week 5, I can check my notes when I get home. It didn't make it foxtail badly, just lost the conical shape

Well not much changing in the tent over the last few days. Yesterday I swapped out 8 gallons from the sub irrigation system. The PPM was up around 1400. The add back was around 850. Today it is back at the 1250 mark. I do see a slight tip curl and/or burn on a few of the leaves but not overly concerning

As I head toward the end of week 6 I plan to change the feed make up and lower the amount of nitrogen.

My RH is still higher than I would like but I have good air movement above and below the canopy and keeping the air exchange frequent. I do not see any signs of moisture in any leaves.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's very interesting, thank you so much for your time. Your central tub, is this function what I often see referred to as a "control" reservoir? Do your planters then drain solely via the 2"? Where is its placement, on the side or bottom?

I've just started up my first personal indoor this year. I'm running two 1100w Kingbrite led 5x5 tents, and some peripheral veg, moms, propagation areas. Only one tent is actually running at this moment, the dwc, but for the other I'm going to run two custom DIY, 27 gallon sub-irrigated planters (isolated). Basically, it's the bucket in a bucket design but upsized with a 17 gal inside 27 gal tote, providing 8 gallon reservoir of homemade fertilizers/microbes that I aerate. They worked well last year for tomatoes outside. My mix there is a coco/peat-perlite 60-40. Basically Sunshine #4, but I use coco too and add a little more perlite.

I started up my dwc grow using Mega Crop's 2 part Jack's copy, also 5-12-26, with calnit 15.5-0-0. When the Russian's got serious about Ukraine again I decided to stock up on ferts but I couldn't get my hands on Jacks. So I'm taking a chance on MC, so far so good. I mean to share my experience using it on my current journal, I'll tag you in when I get back to it again.

MC's 5-12-26 uses amino acid chelates which I get the feeling are somewhat untested by canna growers, compared to their synthetic versions at least. If they work issue-free then this appeals to me, I suppose we shall see. They also appear to use some potassium silicate for their "12", but there are no biological elements like they use in their one-part. It does make for an interesting project on hydrobuddy that's for sure. I find it mixes well, but I create a two-part liquid concentrate at only 50-60% solubility from it to avoid mixing issues.

I am also running a live tank. I bought some Dynamyco and have begun culturing it in order to have an ongoing supply and avoid paying the steep price in future. I'm using an aquarium, grass seed and some sand.

That's a new project I haven't discussed with anyone yet and I have another, weirder cultured product I'm testing also. I've been researching other industries that use bacteria and bacteria byproducts, to better understand this biotechnology generally, and found that many wastewater treatment products use the same enzymatically active microbes as found in the top horticulture products, but typically use higher microbe counts and it can be had at much cheaper prices. So, essentially, I'm growing with drain-cleaner. So far, 21 days use in a small bubble test tank its had no apparent negative effect and though I have no control tank running my impression is that my plants, and their roots are benefitting tremendously. So I'm working out a delivery routine and schedule for using it in my grow fairly soon. There is no dynamyco in the test tank, just the MC Jack's copy and the septic field/ drain cleaner bacteria. Pretty hilarious, I know, but I don't want to shell out the $$ to buy these products regularly yet am fascinated by their possible applications and potential.

I have somewhat 'green' inclinations so in the big picture I am trying to develop a fast growing (hydro) grow system that avoids drain-to-waste, however I am currently using a 55 liter dwc reservoir so I don't think I'm keeping less ferts out of the wastewater system at the moment. Thanks again for your time and details, I thought I'd return in kind best I could.

RD, I will try to take some pictures of my two planter system (currently out of commission) which will help explain things.

The 2” drain is located in the center of each of the planter containers. There is a hole in the top of each tub where the 2” drain fits. This allows the nutrient to recirculate. It sets the perched water table and also allows for nutrient uptake in the event a pump goes bad.

The only nutrient solution that is drained from the system is the 8 gallons a week that I remove to keep things fresh. I take this solution and use it in the vegetable garden or other gardens around the property.

Thank you for sharing your information as well!

That's very interesting, thank you so much for your time. Your central tub, is this function what I often see referred to as a "control" reservoir? Do your planters then drain solely via the 2"? Where is its placement, on the side or bottom?

I've just started up my first personal indoor this year. I'm running two 1100w Kingbrite led 5x5 tents, and some peripheral veg, moms, propagation areas. Only one tent is actually running at this moment, the dwc, but for the other I'm going to run two custom DIY, 27 gallon sub-irrigated planters (isolated). Basically, it's the bucket in a bucket design but upsized with a 17 gal inside 27 gal tote, providing 8 gallon reservoir of homemade fertilizers/microbes that I aerate. They worked well last year for tomatoes outside. My mix there is a coco/peat-perlite 60-40. Basically Sunshine #4, but I use coco too and add a little more perlite.

I started up my dwc grow using Mega Crop's 2 part Jack's copy, also 5-12-26, with calnit 15.5-0-0. When the Russian's got serious about Ukraine again I decided to stock up on ferts but I couldn't get my hands on Jacks. So I'm taking a chance on MC, so far so good. I mean to share my experience using it on my current journal, I'll tag you in when I get back to it again.

MC's 5-12-26 uses amino acid chelates which I get the feeling are somewhat untested by canna growers, compared to their synthetic versions at least. If they work issue-free then this appeals to me, I suppose we shall see. They also appear to use some potassium silicate for their "12", but there are no biological elements like they use in their one-part. It does make for an interesting project on 420 that's for sure. I find it mixes well, but I create a two-part liquid concentrate at only 50-60% solubility from it to avoid mixing issues.

I am also running a live tank. I bought some Dynamyco and have begun culturing it in order to have an ongoing supply and avoid paying the steep price in future. I'm using an aquarium, grass seed and some sand.

That's a new project I haven't discussed with anyone yet and I have another, weirder cultured product I'm testing also. I've been researching other industries that use bacteria and bacteria byproducts, to better understand this biotechnology generally, and found that many wastewater treatment products use the same enzymatically active microbes as found in the top horticulture products, but typically use higher microbe counts and it can be had at much cheaper prices. So, essentially, I'm growing with drain-cleaner. So far, 21 days use in a small bubble test tank its had no apparent negative effect and though I have no control tank running my impression is that my plants, and their roots are benefitting tremendously. So I'm working out a delivery routine and schedule for using it in my grow fairly soon. There is no dynamyco in the test tank, just the MC Jack's copy and the septic field/ drain cleaner bacteria. Pretty hilarious, I know, but I don't want to shell out the $$ to buy these products regularly yet am fascinated by their possible applications and potential.

I have somewhat 'green' inclinations so in the big picture I am trying to develop a fast growing (hydro) grow system that avoids drain-to-waste, however I am currently using a 55 liter dwc reservoir so I don't think I'm keeping less ferts out of the wastewater system at the moment. Thanks again for your time and details, I thought I'd return in kind best I could.
RD,

Here is a picture of what is known as a grow module. It includes the top planter, the pipe from the bottom of the planter, and the sub irrigation tub.

image.jpg

And the first snake of the summer is out today.

image.jpg
Omg does it have fangs.
Iv run into 3 rattle snakes in my day but nothing that big.
Hope you don't have pets out there.
And btw hey Sg. :ciao: your garden is freeken Awsome :cheer::party:
Hope your having a great day my friend.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill

Omg does it have fangs.
Iv run into 3 rattle snakes in my day but nothing that big.
Hope you don't have pets out there.
And btw hey Sg. :ciao: your garden is freeken Awsome :cheer::party:
Hope your having a great day my friend.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill
Hey Bill, they do have fangs. Fortunately they are not a poisonous snake and actually keep the rattlesnakes away. However, I still try not to get close enough to them to see their fangs.

Thanks for coming along for the ride! Hopefully the next few weeks these girls will plump up nicely!

Back
Top Bottom