Started my grow but nothing came up 7 days in

Edzzed

I started the germination and think it may have gotten off to a bad start. It is now 7 days and nothing has come up. I think it must have been too cold where I had my jiffy greenhouse. I used peat pellets. Temperature in the furnace room was 65 where it's usually warmer but we got a cold snap and SNOW so it cooled right down. I bought a little ceramic heater after two days and moved everything into my tent. I have a thermostatic switch to shut heat off at 78 degrees and turn on the heater at 75. It is not a switch that is on the heater. Totally aftermarket and digital. Do you think I may have lost the seeds. I am about ready to put another bottle of water in the tent to warm it along with some more peat pellets and in two days replant. Do you think that will be ok or should I fork out some money for a heat mat. The tent does get nice and toasty compared to the rest of the room.

I have a thermostatic switch to shut heat off at 78 degrees and turn on the heater at 75
I like to germ them warmer than that...more like 80-90F...I've resuscitated seeds (in soil) after 10 days of nothing by just cranking the heat....

:goodluck:

I don't think this is a good idea but I was impatient on my last little germ that I put in with about 1/4" tap so I rooted around in there real caredul till I found that sucker, she was just squirming around down there taking her sweet time about it.

Love a warming matt with seeds. Very important to keep the rooting zone moist and warm.

I hate those jiffy peat pots that being said. I've killed more seeds with them.....

Id dig in and see what's going on..... they could be slow starters or dead on arrival.

Good luck!

Yep another vote for heat mats right here!
I get 100% germination using Jiffy pucks, a little humidity dome, and a heat mat. I just soak my seeds in a glass of water for 18 hours or so and then I plant them into the hydrated and warm Jiffy pucks. Works great.

I started the germination and think it may have gotten off to a bad start. It is now 7 days and nothing has come up. I think it must have been too cold where I had my jiffy greenhouse. I used peat pellets. Temperature in the furnace room was 65 where it's usually warmer but we got a cold snap and SNOW so it cooled right down. I bought a little ceramic heater after two days and moved everything into my tent. I have a thermostatic switch to shut heat off at 78 degrees and turn on the heater at 75. It is not a switch that is on the heater. Totally aftermarket and digital. Do you think I may have lost the seeds. I am about ready to put another bottle of water in the tent to warm it along with some more peat pellets and in two days replant. Do you think that will be ok or should I fork out some money for a heat mat. The tent does get nice and toasty compared to the rest of the room.
I would try the heating pad too the heat might be good for the room but too far from the root zone to promote or maybe the cold snap shocked them.
Sucks either way hopefully you got more seeds...

Well I replied in that thread. You should mist it lightly and let it sit for a minute. Try and pop it off with tweezers or a fine point. If it doesn't come off easily mist again and repeat. Be patient and don't force it. It may also have part of the membrane attached.

And yes, that's helmet head.

My tent is a nice toasty 29C, while a moist paper towel on a plate just above the floor is always still cold....so room temp isn't all that should be looked at, or else we would be fine.

I have always planted taproot down, but wouldn't worry to much if I goofed and put one upside down, the seed knows which way is up and down, and should correct itself

I have some bag seeds from ages ago I'm going to experiment using gibberellic acid to germ, will post my results soon!

Well I replied in that thread. You should mist it lightly and let it sit for a minute. Try and pop it off with tweezers or a fine point. If it doesn't come off easily mist again and repeat. Be patient and don't force it. It may also have part of the membrane attached.

And yes, that's helmet head.
I love it! Helmet head lol. Ok will do. Im hoping it sheds it naturally

I tend to plant mine very shallow, so I have almost 75% helmet head. Only once did it seem to have a negative effect.

I can't find tweezers or small pliers, so I was careful with my fat fingers. Sometimes they seem to just be resting on the leaf, other time it was still slightly attached. I heard that deep planting helps shed the coat, I am just scared I will put them too deep, so I go shallow

I tend to plant mine very shallow, so I have almost 75% helmet head. Only once did it seem to have a negative effect.

I can't find tweezers or small pliers, so I was careful with my fat fingers. Sometimes they seem to just be resting on the leaf, other time it was still slightly attached. I heard that deep planting helps shed the coat, I am just scared I will put them too deep, so I go shallow
Ok youve made me feel a lot better haha

I have some bag seeds from ages ago I'm going to experiment using gibberellic acid to germ, will post my results soon!

Quick update I got my GA3, put a variety of bagweed seed at least 15-20 years old to soak in what I think is around 250ppm last night at 10:30p, checked this am just about 9 hours later, I've got a fair amount of seeds cracking already! Science wins again!

It looks like there's 3 varieties of seeds, in the past I've tried plain tap water and water with some h2o2 on these beans to no avail. If they do germ fully I'll start a "for science" grow at least long enough to see the effects of the giberillic acid on early growth and survivability rate.

Attachments

• IMG_20190213_074038956.jpg
    IMG_20190213_074038956.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20190213_073823427.jpg
    IMG_20190213_073823427.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20190213_073558329.jpg
    IMG_20190213_073558329.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 37
Well it seems it took a long time but this morning I found 4 out of 6 with things popping up to say here I am dont know why it took so long yesterday I was questioning should I start over as wife was complaining about the electricity. she can now complain more since I turned the light on gonna use a viparspectra par 600 for a veg and then use the quantum board I built to flower will post pics when I get home

Back
Top Bottom