The 4x4 Grow Tent Club

Yea greengenes, is the guy. I saw his and growmau5's vids and just had to take the plunge.i'd rather build my own as opposed to buying another diy'ers lights. That way, if it fails. I can only blame myself. I will definitely document the build.
StayFrosty
CanEyebus.

Good luck to ya bro and will definitely sub if ya do a journal on it

Cpla, ahhh I see and completely understand, going back and looking at the pics. Great job nice net. As far as plant size under a scrog, I think it all depends on you goal. I've seen 1 plant scrogged'd in a 5gal bucket and fill a whole 4x4. Of course it was veg'd long enough to fill the screen. I myself built the modular 2 gal scrogs and if I had constructed them all the same lengths, I could fit 9 of them in my 3x3 tray.

Your 3 plants will definitely fill that screen given enough veg. Not sure what size bag/pot you're in,as I can't remember at the moment but,If too small they may need up planting in order to grow enough root mass to fill the screen. The more plants under the screen the faster you get to flip, the less, the longer they have to veg to get there.

As far as your light question, I am unfamiliar with the brand. At, work and can't look it up but, par watts and ppf ppfd coverage(depth&spread) is what you are after with led. About 25-35watts a sq ft. I'm assuming here and maybe someone more familiar with the brand will chime in but, 2 labeld 330w leds probably don't pull 330 at the wall meaning they are under driving the chips,hence let's watts at the wall, is like maybe 400 watts of leds power to the plants. Do you have a multimeter to get the lights wall draw? In a 4x4 it'll suffice and grow you some good nugs. There are certainly others things at play here, environment, distance to canopy, feed/watering etc. If using r/o water, you most likely need a cal or cal/mag supplement. Unless you are in soil and it's already in their. i can't scroll back up to see your medium sorry.:cheesygrinsmiley: I'd search the forum for journals with your light and tent size. It'll give you a better perspective of the results.

StayFrosty
CanEyeBus

Cpla, ahhh I see and completely understand, going back and looking at the pics. Great job nice net. As far as plant size under a scrog, I think it all depends on you goal. I've seen 1 plant scrogged'd in a 5gal bucket and fill a whole 4x4. Of course it was veg'd long enough to fill the screen. I myself built the modular 2 gal scrogs and if I had constructed them all the same lengths, I could fit 9 of them in my 3x3 tray.

Your 3 plants will definitely fill that screen given enough veg. Not sure what size bag/pot you're in,as I can't remember at the moment but,If too small they may need up planting in order to grow enough root mass to fill the screen. The more plants under the screen the faster you get to flip, the less, the longer they have to veg to get there.

As far as your light question, I am unfamiliar with the brand. At, work and can't look it up but, par watts and ppf ppfd coverage(depth&spread) is what you are after with led. About 25-35watts a sq ft. I'm assuming here and maybe someone more familiar with the brand will chime in but, 2 labeld 330w leds probably don't pull 330 at the wall meaning they are under driving the chips,hence let's watts at the wall, is like maybe 400 watts of leds power to the plants. Do you have a multimeter to get the lights wall draw? In a 4x4 it'll suffice and grow you some good nugs. There are certainly others things at play here, environment, distance to canopy, feed/watering etc. If using r/o water, you most likely need a cal or cal/mag supplement. Unless you are in soil and it's already in their. i can't scroll back up to see your medium sorry.:cheesygrinsmiley: I'd search the forum for journals with your light and tent size. It'll give you a better perspective of the results.

StayFrosty
CanEyeBus

Thank you very much. That was very informative. I am in soil. I ordered the Cal Mag and Molasses today. I am using RO water and Ocean Farm.

I'm in 5 gallon smart pots and I read about topping roots being SUPER easy with these smart pots because the roots will actually poke through the smart pots allowing me to cut them easily. They make something called "zyme" that turns those roots into useable food for the rest of the root ball. I've read that this increases your yield while keeping the root system relatively small.

My tent is actually 4X2X5 which is why I decided 3 plants is enough for my size.

I do not have a meter. :-( However I copied this setup verbatim. How I grow Marijuana indoors - YouTube He seemed to do really well with the same two lights I have with even more plants. I just wanted some reassurance I guess.

My lights are about 12 inches from the canopy because my strain (white rhino) is so bushy. I need it to stretch so I can start the LST on the scrog. That's why I asked about the CalMag. I'm thinking there's a small calcium deficiency causing the no stretch attitude my girls are giving me.

Here's more recent pics :)

46bc8a8ec7ee5f021d9c8aea5eb32aea.jpg
328d901b7090933f24387f8577872133.jpg

You can see how bushy they are. Should I start lollopopping yet? They're only about 8 or 9 inches tall.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using 420

I notice your lights are oriented differently, is that just to start? The way the lights are in the example will give you more coverage with the 2 leds

Kingsnake gotcha, nice pics. Yes it appears you did ya research and your lights will do it for your tent size. Cpla, seems you are all set!:thumb:. You can lollipop whenever you deem necessary or fit, except of course late in flower. I'm not sure what to to in your case If you are trying to get more "stretch from your normally bushy girls. I fight stretch all the time! Lol. I know someone'll be here to advise you.have you thought about topping or LST?How long are you going to veg? Topping will create more sites and allow the lowers to catch up to the dominant kolas and try to become apical kolas themselves. lst will do the same without as much stress, which is what ipI do to my pineapple express indica dom.I'll not attempt to give soil advice as I have yet to venture down that path. When I do, it's not til ols for the win! :cheesygrinsmiley:. You're doing good bro, continue to ask questions if needed. I couldn't have brought my first plant to sucessful harvest if it weren't for this site and the community in which this site sets it's foundation on. Ps. I see you're in 5 gal smarties. Definitely enough to carry you all the way thru flower without needing to up-pot.

StayFrosty
CanEyeBus

Well thanks to you guys I believe my tent is setup proper now. I did the humidity thing suggested here. I moved my lights, also suggested here. And I got a PM about music helping out too so I even put one of my PC surround sound speakers in there.

You guys rock!
06a16877ccb30853d923d3e38c3f736c.jpg
d0560f86eb457f715f86567195d920b4.jpg
65af595b4dbe025a875319fe99b37442.jpg

Oh, the girls are out getting some natural sunlight. That's why they're not in the pics. Here's some with them in there
c1323fafffef755b7a6c2b4dc8fa2d1a.jpg
f31e37a68b73e51ff37f6a39d4a57fd7.jpg

Starting to look like a real tent. I found the perfect sized box to use as a transfer box into my furnace vent. Little flex seal and duct tape later. Hard to believe I used all 25 feet of ducting, and I still couldn't even set the fan on the floor.

IMG_20160406_193210.jpg
IMG_20160406_193218.jpg

Still need a scrubber, not sure how I am going to hang it. Thinking about just laying it on top of my hood.

Rats, tests it out today and it still stays about 4-6 degrees higher than the room temperature, even with the fan on full blast. I wonder if I need a booster fan trying to push the air out if 25 feet of duct. Still gotta seal off the other side of the furnace so the air goes up the chimney instead of into the adjacent room.

Bigger worry is this damn outlet... My ballast was trying to kick on but then just kind of "clicking" and it seemed it wouldn't kick on if the fan was plugged into the other socket. Next thing I know it's arcing inside of the socket and sparking all pretty blue. So then I threw a power bar into another outlet outside of the room, and it seems to kick on just for next with the fan running on the same powerbar. Wtf. Thing is I just had the maintenance guy replace that outlet too.

Quick question. When growing indoors, is it ok for your plant to get rain water? It hardly ever rains where I live, but it did today so I decided to set the girls outside for about 45 minutes during my normal water time. It didn't really permeate through the soil because my plants look like bushes instead of weeds. I ended up watering them as normal with RO water + calmag but the rain got all over the leaves and what not. Now that I'm stoned and sitting back thinking about it, acid rain or acidic rain came to mind. Is this a concern?

Rats, tests it out today and it still stays about 4-6 degrees higher than the room temperature, even with the fan on full blast. I wonder if I need a booster fan trying to push the air out if 25 feet of duct. Still gotta seal off the other side of the furnace so the air goes up the chimney instead of into the adjacent room.

Bigger worry is this damn outlet... My ballast was trying to kick on but then just kind of "clicking" and it seemed it wouldn't kick on if the fan was plugged into the other socket. Next thing I know it's arcing inside of the socket and sparking all pretty blue. So then I threw a power bar into another outlet outside of the room, and it seems to kick on just for next with the fan running on the same powerbar. Wtf. Thing is I just had the maintenance guy replace that outlet too.

Is the tent empty? You won't get an accurate idea without pots and soil in the tent.

Quick question. When growing indoors, is it ok for your plant to get rain water? It hardly ever rains where I live, but it did today so I decided to set the girls outside for about 45 minutes during my normal water time. It didn't really permeate through the soil because my plants look like bushes instead of weeds. I ended up watering them as normal with RO water + calmag but the rain got all over the leaves and what not. Now that I'm stoned and sitting back thinking about it, acid rain or acidic rain came to mind. Is this a concern?

They are fine to get rain water.

I put my scrog on today. I read the genetics of white rhino are short and bushy and max out at 5 foot. So I decided to put some paint cans under my drain tray to lift them to the scrog. Only 2 are tall enough to start out but I wanted to ask for advice on this before I get too far into this plan to turn back.

So two questions: Is this a good idea or is it gonna go south on me? My tent is 5 ft tall but I have an exhaust system up there. The scrog will cut the plants height in half anyway. Am I clear?

Second question, now that I raised the plant height, my plants are positioned directly in front of a fan in smart pots. Will this dry my soil faster or am I over thinking this? I included pictures of the fans in question. One is above the canopy. One is at pot height.
0d448c581cfae9ba299d1ba36c979102.jpg
97c286a7613b734ce5f29d9390646431.jpg
ad18a2c6f3bbfb4b49a6744c67d12143.jpg
c479cb79c781d03d34d37000826befba.jpg
4bbfa8f4d2383613aa3d9fd413978b63.jpg

what do youthink Kingsnake?my ladies are getting big!

Yeah they are! Those look great, nice job! What do you think?

cpla said:
So two questions: Is this a good idea or is it gonna go south on me? My tent is 5 ft tall but I have an exhaust system up there. The scrog will cut the plants height in half anyway. Am I clear?-

Second question, now that I raised the plant height, my plants are positioned directly in front of a fan in smart pots. Will this dry my soil faster or am I over thinking this? I included pictures of the fans in question. One is above the canopy. One is at pot height

I cant say firsthand but i think it will be awfully hard to get a gallon of water into that pot, especially when the screen is full. Once youre tangled in it you wont be able to move the pots. i think most go with about 12" between the net and the top of the pot. That space gives you some branches to work into the screen as well. Just check out some scrog journals and look at the stems of their plants to see how far away he pots are and how to get tar branches spaced

Thanks Kingsnake. My scrog is actually 18" from the floor. Maybe I built it too tall in my noobness. Adding the paint cans took the height down to about 10-11"

I was thinking, I'll just use it as a LST net for now. No tucking or wrapping. That way I can drop it later. This strain is just SUPER slow from seed. These plants germinated on February 25th. It just seems like they should be taller than 9" by now.

Are my fans ok?

They're bigger now! I had to tie two branches down to get some light to the undergrowth but everything is looking healthy. Just growing at a snail's pace. You can see the hooks and string in the pics. I'm getting her ready for that scrog if she'll ever shoot up.

Thanks for the uplifting comments!
ce6ac8e5f8a3bc01157abc2119ca2d6b.jpg
2ce8c9c008039f8609645a67f7e1f449.jpg

Just wanted to say HAPPY 420!!!!! to all of my 4x4 Brothers and Sisters out here.
My wife helped me finally get my damn tent up and wow is it great to finally get started!
Got the unknown mother in it, shes a little sick atm so as soon as I get her to health in the tent gonna flower her out and post bud pix to hopefully find out what she looks like or is.

Back
Top Bottom