Thin Mint - GSC - Group Grow

Day 3 and looking like she's ready to play. :slide:

IMG_75346.JPG

IMG_75355.JPG

She's a little lanky for my taste, but I'll bury her deeper at transplant next week.

Hi Sue.....that's a good start. Maybe you can answer a question for me about seedlings. When mine reach a point where they are like yours above they just sit there and sit there and sit there. It might be a couple weeks before they start growing. I was told that is because the plant is putting down roots and won't grow till it has grown them. That makes sense to me to a certain extent.

I saw where you were going to transplant that seedling next week. I guess my question would be why? Why transplant it when it is so small? Does transplanting it get it growing faster? I guess what confuses me is seeing photos on here of plants that are 2 or 3 weeks old and are already at their 4th node while I still have a seedling with 2 round leaves and 2 pointy leaves. I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if that's how long they take to get going.

Thank you for your time and knowledge. Hope you have a great weekend.

Jay

Hi Sue.....that's a good start. Maybe you can answer a question for me about seedlings. When mine reach a point where they are like yours above they just sit there and sit there and sit there. It might be a couple weeks before they start growing. I was told that is because the plant is putting down roots and won't grow till it has grown them. That makes sense to me to a certain extent.

I saw where you were going to transplant that seedling next week. I guess my question would be why? Why transplant it when it is so small? Does transplanting it get it growing faster? I guess what confuses me is seeing photos on here of plants that are 2 or 3 weeks old and are already at their 4th node while I still have a seedling with 2 round leaves and 2 pointy leaves. I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if that's how long they take to get going.

Thank you for your time and knowledge. Hope you have a great weekend.

Jay

Good question Jay. This plant is growing in a hempy pot of nothing but perlite and Osmocote Plus. The amount of Osmo in there is minimal, so as not to burn the seedling, but that won't sustain her for long. At about day 7 I like to shift them into their finish pot, which is loaded with more Osmo. With hempies it's as simple as plug the hole, fill the pot with water and lift the seedling out, moving it to a larger pot, or one the same size but with more nutrient pellets.

You're correct in thinking a seedling shouldn't be transplanted unless it's an absolute necessity. If this were an autoflowering plant in soil I'd have planted it directly into the finish pot because the roots of autos grow differently and you don't want to disturb them at all, if it can be helped.

With photos in soil I only transplant once, from 1 gallon to 7, with the option to upcan to a 10 gallon if the urge strikes me to grow a bigger plant.

Your seedlings sound like they lack something basic. This is usually a problem of soil temperature. Can you share what the average temperatures are in your grow space? Another factor could be light quantity and quality. My plants veg at 20/4 across the board, excepting the one I started in 12/12. An auto grows best at 20/4, and I do grow some autos, so almost all of my plants do their vegging under this schedule. I'm blessed with a generous friend in the lighting business who has seen to it that my plants grow under the best lights the market has to offer, and that definately makes a difference in the quality of my plants.

Light is the engine that drives the grow. It's the one thing you don't want to go cheap on, unless it was so cheap that it made it something you can't pass up. I've done that and not regretted the expenditure. Inexpensive lights can supplement good lights and boost the productivity of your grow.

Distance from the light can be a big determiner of growth speed. To be honest, although I don't do it anymore my tightest seedlings and the ones that grew the fastest did so under 23 watt CFL arrays placed within 3" of the leaves. This offered both heat and light, and the seedlings loved it.

Did that help you Jay? :battingeyelashes:

Sue,

The seedling in question currently resides in a red Solo cup. The cup is prepared by filling it with a good quality soil (not too hot and not too cold) I then scoop out about a dixie cup worth of soil from the top center. In there I put some seed starting soil which is pretty bland and allows the seedling to grow a bit without fertilizer. When a week old I mix a drink with very mild Foxfarm nutrients. I try to keep the soil moist but not wet.

For lighting I rely on the good Lord above as the cup sits outside in my tomato garden. It gets approximately 6 hours of diffused sunlight and 7 hours of direct sunlight.

I have a grow tent that currently houses two plants that are flowering under 18/6 lighting. I have a 2' x 2' x 48" tall tent with a 600W LED light fixture. The light has 2 switches. One for just veg. And when flowering you flip both switches on. It stays at about 78 degrees with 50% RH during the day. Goes down to 70 degrees with an RH about 75% at night.

Never tried seedlings in the tent as it has only ever been on flowering.

You've probably guessed that I am pretty much brand new at this. I do a lot of reading about each subject and of course come away with usually at least a handful of different opinions or right ways of doing most things.

Which do you think would work better? I can put a box in the tent to raise the seedling up.

Sue,

The seedling in question currently resides in a red Solo cup. The cup is prepared by filling it with a good quality soil (not too hot and not too cold) I then scoop out about a dixie cup worth of soil from the top center. In there I put some seed starting soil which is pretty bland and allows the seedling to grow a bit without fertilizer. When a week old I mix a drink with very mild Foxfarm nutrients. I try to keep the soil moist but not wet.

For lighting I rely on the good Lord above as the cup sits outside in my tomato garden. It gets approximately 6 hours of diffused sunlight and 7 hours of direct sunlight.

I have a grow tent that currently houses two plants that are flowering under 18/6 lighting. I have a 2' x 2' x 48" tall tent with a 600W LED light fixture. The light has 2 switches. One for just veg. And when flowering you flip both switches on. It stays at about 78 degrees with 50% RH during the day. Goes down to 70 degrees with an RH about 75% at night.

Never tried seedlings in the tent as it has only ever been on flowering.

You've probably guessed that I am pretty much brand new at this. I do a lot of reading about each subject and of course come away with usually at least a handful of different opinions or right ways of doing most things.

Which do you think would work better? I can put a box in the tent to raise the seedling up.

Hey Beez ill throw in my .02. If it was mine I would keep the seedling in the tent. I think it would have better growth under 18 hours of light. Just make sure you have the right distance from your light, 30" seems about typical and both switches are fine to run at all stages of plant growth. Also moving it in from outside you run the risk of bringing bugs into the tent.

420-magazine-mobile2113510366.jpg

Sorry guys been really busy!! My main grower has just found out he has stomach cancer so I've been very busy the last 2 weeks but here's a pic a took last week will get more up in the am!!!!! Live-Love-Learn

420-magazine-mobile2113510366.jpg

Sorry guys been really busy!! My main grower has just found out he has stomach cancer so I've been very busy the last 2 weeks but here's a pic a took last week will get more up in the am!!!!! Live-Love-Learn

Sending strong, loving vibes to your grower. He grows the best medicine for that diagnosis. Just a matter of getting the ratios and profiles right and choosing the best method of administration. He knows of our resources to help with this matter?

He is very aware of the healing properties of this medicine!!! Rite now I believe they have him on RSO!!! I'm not real sure on what else they have him on !!! He's kind of a private guy so the info I get is from his wife! Now they are asking me if I can come over and take a look at their plants cause the "Big Guy" is down for the moment I most certainly will try my best but the the shoes are some huge ones to fill!!! He already has everything set up and going just need to maintain it all!!! I'm talking like 100+ DWC All top shelf strains beautifully grown to perfection!!!! He runs like 10-12 Gavita Pros Double ended 1000watt or 1200watt no sure exactly!!! There's 3 bedrooms 14x12 and a 2 car garage with like 2 - 10'x5' clone tents and Veg tent and that's all Ebb and Flo tables. Then the Flwer rooms are all DWC. I'm overwhelmed need to step back and take a breath!!!
420-magazine-mobile1577694623.jpg
420-magazine-mobile204598715.jpg
420-magazine-mobile642365483.jpg
I left them in the flower tent when I was cleaning up my Veg tent and well 2 of the 3 I have growing started to Flower so I'm going with it on the 2 and letting them do their thing and the other remaining 1 I will put back in the Veg tent!!! I have 16 of my own plants in soil!! I'm at a loss for words!!!!

Whatever happened to all of those germinating seeds from the other day? There had to have been 150 of them with most having tap roots. Are you growing all of them?

The Thin Mint plants are photoperiod plants yes? How long were they in the flowering tent to make them start flowering? This is a new one for me and very interesting.

Whatever happened to all of those germinating seeds from the other day? There had to have been 150 of them with most having tap roots. Are you growing all of them?

The Thin Mint plants are photoperiod plants yes? How long were they in the flowering tent to make them start flowering? This is a new one for me and very interesting.

They where in the flower tent for about 6-8days!! And started showing almost instantly. Yes they are photo period plants. You can grow plants from seed under 12/12 and roughly depending on the strain they will show sex from 20-30 days after popping out of the ground. Yes kind of like a Auto if that's what your thinking except autos will show sex on in 20-30 days and keep budding till the end and then die a photo you can in theory take it out of flower at anytime and put it back into Veg you might get a hermi but the plant will not die then you can put it back into flower anything it me you want and then you can re-Veg after you have harvested a photo but once a Auto has budded that's it the plant will die you can't re-Veg!!! Hope that cleared a little up for you!!! Oh and yes they are all in the Veg tent and there was like 75 babies that I got out of that pile of seeds!! All X-Mas Cookies !!!

Mine is a week old, which meant time to transplant. I loaded up a 2ltr with Osmo Plus and dropped her into the middle of it.

IMG_76656.JPG

IMG_76667.JPG

livetoskate81 said:
I have 16 of my own plants in soil!! I'm at a loss for words!!!!

I know that feeling. :laughtwo: I have 11, and that's where I need to pause. Lol!

She may surprise you LTS. They tend to fill out nicely.

Mine is two weeks old today. Looking happy. :battingeyelashes: :love:

IMG_79146.JPG

IMG_79157.JPG

IMG_79175.JPG

I'm so sorry to inform you all that my grower has moved on to that big garden in the sky !!!! Things have been very hectic!!!! All the babies and big plants have died!!! The guy had a magic Green Thumb and now!!!! Well we don't know for now!!! Our collective is now on hold !! Life threw us a curveball and it was a swing and a miss!!! Love you all take care of yourselves!!!! We only get one go around make it a good one!!!! Live-Love-Learn!!!!

I'm so sorry to inform you all that my grower has moved on to that big garden in the sky !!!! Things have been very hectic!!!! All the babies and big plants have died!!! The guy had a magic Green Thumb and now!!!! Well we don't know for now!!! Our collective is now on hold !! Life threw us a curveball and it was a swing and a miss!!! Love you all take care of yourselves!!!! We only get one go around make it a good one!!!! Live-Love-Learn!!!!

Sorry to hear that. Your collective doesn't have anyone to step in? Will you be continuing this grow journal?

Back
Top Bottom