Thin Mints - GalaxyHydro LED - Happy Frog

DapperNomad

A few weeks ago I started this thread, since then my closet sat without any growth because I have been too busy to make a trip to the dispensary to get seeds or clones.

Last night I went to get the Purple Kush that I'm currently smoking from a friend and he blessed me with 6 thin mint seeds plus about 20 bag seeds.

So today is Day 1 of my new grow journal.

Apollo 4x2 Grow Tent
2X GalaxyHydro 300w LED
70% Happy Frog 30% Perlite

The seeds are currently soaking in PH'd tap water, hopefully I get 100% germination on the 3 thin mints. This is my first grow and according to the law in these parts I'm allowed 6 mature plants so assuming a few of the bags seeds may end up being males or otherwise unhealthy I put 6 of those seeds to soak. Any feedback, tips etc are very welcome and I'll do my best to keep this thread updated!
DSC2110.jpg
DSC2111.jpg
DSC2113.jpg
DSC2116.JPG
DSC2117.jpg
DSC2123.jpg
DSC2124.jpg

Looks like a great setup! I use the same tent for veg. I started with it then decided to get a 4x4 also. But you have it dialed in.

I noticed you have your seeds in the tent currently. For germ they light darkness and mid 70s. Just a heads up. Light on the tap root will kill it.

I hope you don't mind if I hang out with ya. :volcano-smiley:

Looks like a great setup! I use the same tent for veg. I started with it then decided to get a 4x4 also. But you have it dialed in.

I noticed you have your seeds in the tent currently. For germ they light darkness and mid 70s. Just a heads up. Light on the tap root will kill it.

I hope you don't mind if I hang out with ya. :volcano-smiley:

Thanks, I'll turn the lights off until they sprout and I move them over to their pots.

It's been about 20 hours since I put the seeds to soak and I can see that one of the thin mints has cracked open and a taproot is poking out. Hopefully more will break through by this evening and I can move them over to their pots.

All 3 thin mints were opening up and showing the beginnings of taproots and I didn't want to leave them soaking too long so I just moved the 3 thin mints and 5 out of the 6 bags seeds (1 was still floating) to their pots and poured some water over them. Now we wait.

All 3 thin mints were opening up and showing the beginnings of taproots and I didn't want to leave them soaking too long so I just moved the 3 thin mints and 5 out of the 6 bags seeds (1 was still floating) to their pots and poured some water over them. Now we wait.
Congrats on the germination! I usually suggest and a lot of people recommend after you do that you put them in a moist paper towel. That lasts 2 days then on 2nd day of in soil the sprout. Kinda curious if it'll keep that 4 day timeline or be faster. Cool experiment ..for me anyways. :thumb:

Congrats on the germination! I usually suggest and a lot of people recommend after you do that you put them in a moist paper towel. That lasts 2 days then on 2nd day of in soil the sprout. Kinda curious if it'll keep that 4 day timeline or be faster. Cool experiment ..for me anyways. :thumb:

Everything I read suggested soaking as one method or using paper towels as the alternative. You're suggesting soaking and then paper towel?

Yup, I don't put in soil until a 1/4" tap root is showing.

Well then it would appear that I have moved to soil a bit too soon. Oh well, I'm not going to risk moving them again I dropped and almost lost one the first time. So we'll just see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

Well then it would appear that I have moved to soil a bit too soon. Oh well, I'm not going to risk moving them again I dropped and almost lost one the first time. So we'll just see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

You'll be ok. I soak in water for 12 hours, then put them in paper towel for 24. Longer if need be, but usually the beans will pop in water. Then the tap will grow in towel. Then on to soil. But you can put them straight in soil and they will still grow. Its just seems to have a better success rate pre germinating. But thats just my opinion. Either way. I think you will be ok. Im subbed in and ready to kick back. Do you have any battle plans for them?

You'll be ok. I soak in water for 12 hours, then put them in paper towel for 24. Longer if need be, but usually the beans will pop in water. Then the tap will grow in towel. Then on to soil. But you can put them straight in soil and they will still grow. Its just seems to have a better success rate pre germinating. But thats just my opinion. Either way. I think you will be ok. Im subbed in and ready to kick back. Do you have any battle plans for them?

Thanks for the input, you've definitely calmed my nerves a bit. Mine soaked for about 32 hours and then went to soil. My plan is to try mainlining all of the plants. I'm a bit OCD about things looking and being even/symmetrical so I'm going to try to make the plants grow with an even amount/shape to them.

Couple pics I just snapped showing the tiered cups. I'll probably only keep them in the mini cups for a few days after they break ground but am very happy to hear any suggestions or comments about my grow.
DSC2139.jpg
DSC2138.jpg

Yea I thought about Mainlining my LS but went with the scrog instead. Super glad to hear you are going for it. I plan on doing it one day 4 sure. Looked very interesting. I was actually planning on doing it, done a bunch of research, but wanted to grow some Money Makers also and didnt think I could do both, so I went with the scrog to keep both flat.
What is the cup deal? what is it do/for? I noticed the rings earlier but didnt know they were several cups.

Couple pics I just snapped showing the tiered cups. I'll probably only keep them in the mini cups for a few days after they break ground but am very happy to hear any suggestions or comments about my grow.
DSC2139.jpg
DSC2138.jpg

I really like the tiers, they allow for utmost control of moisture levels and therefore root development. Also it allows you to have all your soil mixed at once and you could also have different presoaked nutes in the graduated levels of plant life corresponding to cup size. I m liking it more as I type.. Very ingenious man..

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Argghh coming back to find that temps inside the tent are now 93 degrees despite it being a very comfortable 702 throughout the house.

Still tying to get the humidity up and the temperature inside the tent down, it's currently 82 degrees and 37%/ I ordered a tower fan that I'm going to put inside the tent and have a standing room fan inside the closet that has the tent in it and that seems to be helping a bit. It's about 75 degrees inside the house today so being just 7 degrees hotter inside the tent with the lights on isn't too bad but definitely going to have to figure out how to keep it a bit cooler in there.

Still tying to get the humidity up and the temperature inside the tent down, it's currently 82 degrees and 37%/ I ordered a tower fan that I'm going to put inside the tent and have a standing room fan inside the closet that has the tent in it and that seems to be helping a bit. It's about 75 degrees inside the house today so being just 7 degrees hotter inside the tent with the lights on isn't too bad but definitely going to have to figure out how to keep it a bit cooler in there.
Charcoal filter with an in line fan would do the trick. You'll need a fan speed controller as well. Honestly you could probably get away with 4" but I would go 6" and dial it back.

Trust me though, it'll definitely cool it off in there. I have to put a heater next to my intake at night to keep them warm. During veg I turn the fan off at night but my flower tent the fan never shuts off.

Charcoal filter with an in line fan would do the trick. You'll need a fan speed controller as well. Honestly you could probably get away with 4" but I would go 6" and dial it back.

Trust me though, it'll definitely cool it off in there. I have to put a heater next to my intake at night to keep them warm. During veg I turn the fan off at night but my flower tent the fan never shuts off.

I already have a 4 inch inline fan with charcoal filter and no speed controller extracting from the top of the tent. Temps were still pretty high even when the lights were off overnight. I feel like the closet is trapping the heat even with the additional fan inside the closet temps will drop several degrees inside the tent as soon as I leave the closet door open for a bit. I currently have all the vents on the tent open and have also left the tent door partially open.
DSC2277.jpg
DSC2278.jpg
DSC2279.jpg
DSC2281.jpg

Back
Top Bottom