Timber DIY Cree CXB3590 Kits Available Now

No problem - happy to help.

The PAR readings we are getting on the kits when centered at 12" from each other in a linear fashion gives almost uniform PAR readings down the entire span of the frame that the kits are mounted on. Using the Angelina 90 degree reflectors at 18-24" on a 12" centerpoint distance will give very good coverage and very even PPF meaurements across the canopy.

Additionally, we also include diffuser lenses (LEDIL RZ Diffusers) that clip into place in the reflector. They can be easily snapped in place and removed. They help to disperse the COB output as well as protect the LES (center of the COB, the light emitting surface).

Some folks really like the diffuser lenses for those reasons - others prefer to run reflectors without the diffuser lens in order to minimize optical power loss.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Dan

Thanks for the info but I'm waiting to hear what they have to say.

You are very welcome. DIY LED has been around a while, so there isn't really much out there that is still a mystery.

Hello @jasper19,

Thank you for your post and your very good questions.

And also a big thank you to JuanCarlos - you are spot on with all of your answers.

As mentioned, the kits that run at 75 watts per COB (225W (3) COB and 300W (4) COB) use a 2.1 amp version of the Meanwell HLG power supply. The light kits that run at 50 watts per light run on a 1.4 amp version of the same power supply. As Juan Carlos pointed out, it is a function of the power supply used and the number of lights used. Basically P=IV where P is power, I is amperage and V is voltage (these CXB chips run at 36 volts).

The heat sinks are specialized pin cushion style Cooliance heat sinks designed to passively cool in excess of the intended use. We use larger than necessary heat sinks to ensure proper cooling of the LED to ensure efficient output and increased lifespan. There is no additional cooling required as with HPS. These operate with no additional cooling needs. If you have an oscillating fan that blows across the heat sinks pins, you can easily drop your ambient temp of the fixture by 10 degrees farenheit. The design is award winning and they exclusively use only single piece extruded anodized aluminum for maximum efficiency.

I apologize that our warranty was not addressed more clearly - I have since updated those sections of our website. Timber offers a 3 year warranty on all kits - that said, Meanwell warranties their power supplies for 7 years, so if anything should happen during that time period we can obviously assist with replacement units and components. The Cree CXB 3590 LEDs have a rated L70 lifespan of 50,000 hours. That also far exceeds our 3 year warranty.

We have chosen top grade components, and assembled them safely and professionally so that you should have few warranty concerns, if any. If you were to experience any failure during the (3) year warranty period simply contact us and we will take care of you.

If you, or others, have additional questions, please feel free to let me know/post a reply.

Have a good evening.

Regards,
Dan

Dan, you are very welcome man. You guys are always great about answering questions and I really like your product. I can't wait to see more Timber equipped journals coming to the mag.

Im getting ready to order one and make a frame from extruded 80/20 base 20 (20mm) and am ordering hardware. What is the size of the drilled and taped holes in the heat sinks to mount the LEDs to the frame?

Im getting ready to order one and make a frame from extruded 80/20 base 20 (20mm) and am ordering hardware. What is the size of the drilled and taped holes in the heat sinks to mount the LEDs to the frame?

Hi @jasper19,

Thanks for your post. The 80/20 makes a very nice and versatile frame.

The holes that we drill/tap on the heat sinks for mounting to your frame are M3-.5 6mm. We include cap head bolts with each COB assembly as well for ease of mounting.

Our latest kits also feature (2) side mount holes in each heat sink as well to further enhance your mounting option choices.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
Dan

Dan, this may be a basic question, but what exactly does a diffuser do for us? Pros and cons?

Hi @JuanCarlos,

That is actually a very good question. I will attempt to address it in it's entirety - if anyone needs additional elaboration I'd be happy to oblige:

Pros

Diffuses light with low loss - good if you have hot spots or unevenness in the light coverage @ canopy level

Covers the LES (center of the COB) - good if you spray foliar or have many COBs to maintain.....they can get dusty, attract debris

Cons

Covers the LES - as a lens will naturally cause a small loss due to optics

If spaced appropriately (12-18" on center at 50W per COB and 18-24" over canopy) these will actually work against the reflectors and the natural evenness in PPF readings that occurs at the aforementioned conditions

I don't know that enough folks have tested these yet as they are relatively new to the market - we initially started carrying them as demand was more for the protective aspect rather than the light diffusion. That said, in certain situations they can help to spread the light out more evenly.

I hope this helps -- thanks for the opportunity to answer the question.

Best Regards,
Dan

Dan, thanks for the answer. I am excited to see the frames that you guys are coming out with. I was thinking last night about the best way to go about it.

I placed an order today for a 300W kit.
My materials showed up today from 80/20 and hardware from Fastenal.
Really would have loved to acquire 4 of the laser cut mount plates the one guy got from the big blue machine company. If I can find them I may upgrade from what I'm planning.
If I could make one small suggestion it would be to include a inexpensive rocker switch on/off option. I sourced one locally and will carefully add it to the incoming. Unless you can add the two leads for me to solder the switch to. I have plenty of shrink wrap.
I hope to have it done by the end of next week as my current plant of Blue Dream is about 6 weeks old.
I saw on your site you ship in discreet packaging and noted it on my order. Those of us in non 420 friendly states appreciate it.

I don't think most of us would use a switch since almost all of us run timers. There is likely a situation I haven't thought of, but the popular Intermatic mechanical timer has the ability to turn the lights off and on without interfering with the timer function.

I don't think most of us would use a switch since almost all of us run timers. There is likely a situation I haven't thought of, but the popular Intermatic mechanical timer has the ability to turn the lights off and on without interfering with the timer function.

I do have a timer of course but I kind of like the idea of an on/off switch. I acquired one locally at an electronics supply house. 20mm round, back lit. It was only a couple bucks. Im still debating it. Working in industry I am used to any electrical device having a on/off other than the disconnect.

I don't think most of us would use a switch since almost all of us run timers.

One use for a power switch (or multiple ones) would be if the grower treated either each COB or groups of them as subsystems; the ability to shut off a portion of one's lighting might be helpful if he/she is in an area where temperatures are severe (high) or if he/she wishes to use one light for multiple purposes (a high-wattage LED might be overkill for seedlings / young plants, but shutting part of it down would help in such a situation).

One use for a power switch (or multiple ones) would be if the grower treated either each COB or groups of them as subsystems; the ability to shut off a portion of one's lighting might be helpful if he/she is in an area where temperatures are severe (high) or if he/she wishes to use one light for multiple purposes (a high-wattage LED might be overkill for seedlings / young plants, but shutting part of it down would help in such a situation).

I get where you are going with that, but for temp control I personally would rather use the dimmer to keep all lights on and just dim them to a power that allows me to control the heat.

Does a regular dimmer work well with an LED? Or would the grower need to use a certain type of power supply (or modify the one(s) in the LED setup)? Using a dimmer with an LED product is something that I've never thought about before.

hello,

Can you make a recommendation as to a suitable frame manufacture in my area that can make a frame suitable for your kit?
I live in the Pacific North West in the Portland Oregon area.
I know you are a young company but it would be great to catch you guys at the 1st Annual Oregon Cannabis Growers Fair. It is to late this year since it is being held next weekend but there is always next year.

Does a regular dimmer work well with an LED? Or would the grower need to use a certain type of power supply (or modify the one(s) in the LED setup)? Using a dimmer with an LED product is something that I've never thought about before.

Timbers DIY kits come with dimmers so you have everything from 10%-100%.

Hello Dan I have a question after checking through your site if I may.

Could you tell me if you intend to introduce these lights as single kits?
This would be great for people like me (read poor/cheapskate) that are upgrading their lighting in increments. I ask this as I have bought them in the past and am now in the market for 2 more single CXB3590 kits, 1 at 3500k and 1 at 5000k and I would prefer to purchase from a 420Magazine sponsor even though I am very happy with the product and service of the place I last purchased from.

I don't use the supplied reflectors or diffusers so I'm not looking for any of that, and I'm based in the (shhh) UK. If you could let me know and if possible include a price for one plus shipping and also a price for two plus shipping that would be great. Thanks in advance whether you can cater to my needs or not, all the best and may your buds be forever bountiful :thumb:

I placed an order today for a 300W kit.
My materials showed up today from 80/20 and hardware from Fastenal.
Really would have loved to acquire 4 of the laser cut mount plates the one guy got from the big blue machine company. If I can find them I may upgrade from what I'm planning.
If I could make one small suggestion it would be to include a inexpensive rocker switch on/off option. I sourced one locally and will carefully add it to the incoming. Unless you can add the two leads for me to solder the switch to. I have plenty of shrink wrap.
I hope to have it done by the end of next week as my current plant of Blue Dream is about 6 weeks old.
I saw on your site you ship in discreet packaging and noted it on my order. Those of us in non 420 friendly states appreciate it.

Hi Jasper,

Thank you for your post. We are happy to accommodate special requests, and on/off switches are one of the popular ones, as well as customer wire lengths and also connecting multiple kits together for ease of controlability.

Additionally we do custom make frames for customers who inquire and will soon be adding those to our website.

If you have any additional feedback I would appreciate it - we design our kits and make changes based on customer feedback so I really appreciate you sharing yours.

Have a good evening.

Regards,
Dan

Hi @OlderGrower,

Thank you for your post. While we aren't attending the Growers Fair this year we will add it to our potential tradeshow visits for the upcoming year.

We custom machine frames for customers to their specifications and are happy to assist you with a frame for your kit as well. These are made out of 1.25" x 1.25" x .125" Aluminum angle and are made to suit.

If you have specific requirements please send me a PM or email and I would be happy to assist.

Have a good evening.

Regards,
Dan

Hi Kriaze,

While we do not formally offer a product like the one you are requesting, we do routinely do special orders for customers and of course ship to the UK and other international areas.

Please send me a PM or email and I would be happy to assist.

Thank you for the opportunity.

Regards,
Dan

Back
Top Bottom