Totally Indoor Grow 1st Time!

Your plants should start at 80 deg and 80RH. That drops through the grow. In flower you want mid to low 70s temp and 60-70RH. Similar to the conditions they grew in outside over the summer and fall.

You can do a seedling tent, then a veg tent, then a flowering tent so heating is easier but you are building multiple tents. A tent can be an official grow tent, a closet garment tent, large totes, tarps, cardboard boxes, or whatever you can think of. No flammable materials near heat source or conductive material near power. I have seen plastic from celling to floor inclosing the furnace heat duct into a small area work.

Smaller space like a seedling box can be heated with the heat generated by the LED lamp. You decide how big you want the plants to be fully grown first. Bigger grow space is more expensive but also more yield. For your plant, for every foot tall you can assume a foot wide at harvest. Height of 5 gallon pot + height of light with hanger + 18 inches for space between light and plant = "X". The desired height of your plant "Y" equals the width of one plant. Add X + Y gives the total height of your tent needed. Half of Y is the plant height you should switch the lights to 12/12.

1500 wats would easily do a 10x10 room. Use the type that looks like an old steam radiator. even heat, safe and efficient. Do not use a ceramic heater near flammable plants and materials unattended! They will start a fire! Still have the scars from jumping through a window to escape a fire from space heater left on. Not fun, don't do it, ask @Bill284.

Your plants should start at 80 deg and 80RH. That drops through the grow. In flower you want mid to low 70s temp and 60-70RH. Similar to the conditions they grew in outside over the summer and fall.

You can do a seedling tent, then a veg tent, then a flowering tent so heating is easier but you are building multiple tents. A tent can be an official grow tent, a closet garment tent, large totes, tarps, cardboard boxes, or whatever you can think of. No flammable materials near heat source or conductive material near power. I have seen plastic from celling to floor inclosing the furnace heat duct into a small area work.

Smaller space like a seedling box can be heated with the heat generated by the LED lamp. You decide how big you want the plants to be fully grown first. Bigger grow space is more expensive but also more yield. For your plant, for every foot tall you can assume a foot wide at harvest. Height of 5 gallon pot + height of light with hanger + 18 inches for space between light and plant = "X". The desired height of your plant "Y" equals the width of one plant. Add X + Y gives the total height of your tent needed. Half of Y is the plant height you should switch the lights to 12/12.

1500 wats would easily do a 10x10 room. Use the type that looks like an old steam radiator. even heat, safe and efficient. Do not use a ceramic heater near flammable plants and materials unattended! They will start a fire! Still have the scars from jumping through a window to escape a fire from space heater left on. Not fun, don't do it, ask @Bill284.
Thanks for the tip but I think a small heater is the best that I can do. I don't want a fire either and my family is more important than a few plants. :)

Hi Sal :)

Thanks for the PM, but I’m not sure how much help I will be.

My advice would be to:-

a) scroll around. Find a style that suits you, whether that be small and compact or giagantic, then ask the grower if they will mentor you

b) look up a poster called Carcass. He has a super cheap arsed grow and produces canna magic each run

c) not plant too many seeds! But you got that memo too late! Lolling! I think you have more than enough going on. Ideally if you are learning, I think two seedlings is more than enough

d) get to know plants, not just canna. Take cuttings of things, try and strike them in dirt/water. Get a feel for flora. How things grow. It’s so interesting taking a twig or something and watching it grow, well I think it is lol. Understanding plants in general has really held me in good stead.

I will be watching and cheering for you :)

Have a question about watering my 2-month-old plants?? I have them in Solo cups (Red).
Question: Do these plants feed from the bottom of the cups for water and nutrients?
A friend recommended putting in a tray with an inch of water to gauge how much the plant drinks. Does this sound true?

A lot of plants do like that. Not all plants and media are the same. some plants do like having "wet feet". Different media wick and hold water differently. This is a plant that gets root rot if it stays wet too long. You want to water the top outer edge so the roots grow out to the edge and not soak the stem. Water so you have a good amount running out the bottom and away from the cup. You want roughly 25% of your pot size in run off. Do not let it stand in water. elevate it above the tray.

Why do you care how much it drinks? Wait until the plant is light and the top 1/2 inch is completely dry. Saturate with water/nutrient, then let it dry again.

Have a question about watering my 2-month-old plants?? I have them in Solo cups (Red).
Question: Do these plants feed from the bottom of the cups for water and nutrients?
A friend recommended putting in a tray with an inch of water to gauge how much the plant drinks. Does this sound true?
I have no advice, really. Just tips I’ve read in here.

I know by their look.

People who are new to plants often weigh pots I think. Try not to get too bogged down in the water wars. I see a lot of overthinking and trying to reinvent an already working wheel when it comes to weed growers and watering. I remember when I first joined I got a PM telling me my plants would be “ruined” if I left them in the rain. Like it was acid falling from the sky. I’ve also heard of people heating the water in winter so it’s not too cold for the plant lol.

I waterboard mine like i hate them.

Not necessarily true as seen in SIP grows, but in typical pots that can certainly be true.
I only grow in deep water culture nowadays, so how is that for being a hypocrite? :laugh: He is essentially in a drain to waist hydro,,,ish composty mix. In his system standing water would most likely cause problems.

Hi Sal, I use a seedling heating mat with controller when they're young. It keeps them happy for low power consumption 18 watts?. I'd get your nutes picked and in house so you can start feeding too. It's time.
Thanks Otter and the rest of the gang I added a heater in the room and started using fertilizer to feed these little girls.
It's been 2 weeks now and they've doubled in size!

Plants 12-7 2023.jpg

Plants 12072023.jpg

Hi Sal, they look like they'll stay together if you gently transplant them today. Try gently pushing one up and out and look at the root mass. There should be enough roots all around to hold the soil together. When I look and see roots starting to be everywhere , it's time. If they're not ready, just slip it back in, no harm.

Some of us use a rule of, if they need water every day it's time.

Looking for roots on the inside wall or drying out every day are the best signs it is ready for transplant. Too small of a pot is high maintenance and possible root bounding. Too big of a pot is wasted space, leads to uneven watering and salt buildup. Plant to pot ratio guide is 1-2 gallon per foot of plant. 5 foot tall plant is good in 5-10 gallon pot. 4 inch tall plant (.25 foot), is good in a quart (.25 gallon) to a half gallon (.5gallon) pot. This is just a guide for planning and to keep you in the ballpark.

When I used soil, I started in solo cup size pots. At 4-5 inches I repotted to 2 gallon, knowing I was going to veg to 2 foot. Then repot into 8 gallon and flip the lights knowing it was going to stretch to 5 foot in the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom