Verb's Gorillas In Hempy Buckets - Under QB288 240W LED

Hey V!

Looking good brother- my GG looked pretty crappy, but the buds were stellar, yours looks better than mine did (from what I remember)...so I'm hoping that she'll reward you nicely!

nice nice run.

trying to figure out why you're end flushing hempies. and chasing run off ec and ph. that's a total crap shoot in most media and a roulette wheel in hempy. i've always done best concentrating on the input side.

it's working well as is, though an fffw schedule would go a ways to smoothing things out on remo. if you have any amendments i'd run them on the water side.

you could forgo the flushing agents and do a simple h202 flush in hempy if correcting issues or doing a periodic salt clearing. i ran 2 in veg and 1 in flower when using salt nutes. watch for a big surge in the plants from the added oxygen and clean roots. very dramatic in veg, not as noticeable after stretch in flower. a flush is best done flood and drain style with the hole plugged. let them soak for up to an hour then drain.

you're a bit overlit. it's ok, it's how i run my flower space as well. that's part of the curling / cupping. could be some heat involved, but i get the same with no real heat at times. it drives a couple late nute things as well. they usually pop up so late it won't matter. it's what i see here

that one tall plant has simply outgrown the bucket. the issues on it are root related, but it's done anyway. most of the microbe promoting and mycos type stuff has no relevance in hempy. the frequent watering tends to work against it. it won't hurt though, and i would like to see a dyno myco grow in hempy, as it should work similar to coco.

your auto clones want to be fed as a plant in flower. if you're going to up pot them i'd do it now. you might get more production, as the roots still seem to be looking. fun experiment.

wish i got by sooner. i knew you were running hempy and wanted to have a look. i like the journal and set up. good job.

Hey V!

Looking good brother- my GG looked pretty crappy, but the buds were stellar, yours looks better than mine did (from what I remember)...so I'm hoping that she'll reward you nicely!
Hey my bruver Rex! :passitleft:
I actually do like how the right plant look like. Left one is little meh… She didn't really fill out, instead most of the side shoots stretched that much so they became small single colas. Plant is full of small colf ball sized nugs.

But now we're looking for the most potent smoke with possible medical side effects. The larf samples surprised me very positively! I think we could expect prime product at least from one of them.

And wasn't your GG the biggest producer from 2022 Kitty growth?? :cheesygrinsmiley: I think you may remember wrong now friend.:laughtwo:

Some of these nugs aint looking the best anymore because they getting kinda foxy all over.. And chopping her could be to early.
759AB4FD-4937-4810-9619-82AB725D5600.jpeg

And heres the dried larf nug from last night (even the larf is fully coated with trichs:D)
E79C0EFC-5A16-40BD-90C0-C4DE5483820A.jpeg

Heyy bluter! Thank you and appreciate your feedback. :Namaste:
nice nice run.

trying to figure out why you're end flushing hempies. and chasing run off ec and ph. that's a total crap shoot in most media and a roulette wheel in hempy. i've always done best concentrating on the input side.
Not so sure if some of these were actually meant questions for me. But I'll break it down bit and answear anyway :D
it's working well as is, though an fffw schedule would go a ways to smoothing things out on remo. if you have any amendments i'd run them on the water side.

you could forgo the flushing agents and do a simple h202 flush in hempy if correcting issues or doing a periodic salt clearing. i ran 2 in veg and 1 in flower when using salt nutes. watch for a big surge in the plants from the added oxygen and clean roots. very dramatic in veg, not as noticeable after stretch in flower. a flush is best done flood and drain style with the hole plugged. let them soak for up to an hour then drain.
About flushing. Yes I've heard chasing runoff in hempy would be unnecessarry. But fine perlite actually retains good amount of water (water holding capacity?) And therefore assuming it holds/releases salts every time when saturated. Every time watering my hempies I'm basicly trying to saturate the whole media as the buckets are pretty small. The res water is the one which matters and this whole run I've been just trying different things to see which would work the best.

And about the ’end flushing’. Notice my prev post how I didn't mention about flushing, talked about ’diet’ :D Sounds like same thing ye, but I'd guess starting to give plants only h2o or mild nutrient solution at the right time b4 the chop, "forces" them to draw whatever they need from the leaves. And letting the plant do her ripen things more naturally instead of trying to feed her higher amounts of P&K. Does that make sense? :cheesygrinsmiley:

Only 3% h2o2 available here, but I'd it should also work? Only thing I was wondering if giving higher amounts of h2o2 only - does the amount of hydrogen (when the molecule form changes) displace other cations?

you're a bit overlit. it's ok, it's how i run my flower space as well. that's part of the curling / cupping. could be some heat involved, but i get the same with no real heat at times. it drives a couple late nute things as well. they usually pop up so late it won't matter. it's what i see here
Yup came into same conclusion. The led is ’only’ 240W BUT actually very tilted to red wavelengths. White leds was 3500K plus added 660nm reds. Output is very close to 3000K, which is then very close to HPS bulbs.
Plant can't use all that red light and it turns into heat on the leaf surface even tho tent temp wont rise…

Hempies were fun and ez to work with. Just needs slightly bigger pots if runnin perlite only. :)
And the clones. Yeah I was thinking to maybe up pot the left one as it still looks like vegging/preflowering.
596A2462-2EC3-40E2-8B4C-F7A33140EB2F.jpeg

Today 24th, and the weekend, we celebrate Midsummer "juhannus" in Fin :laughtwo:
@Rexer & @bluter have a great weekend! Relax, enjoy the sun and stay medicated :Namaste::green_heart:

- Verbalist

Not so sure if some of these were actually meant questions for me. But I'll break it down bit and answear anyway :D

About flushing. Yes I've heard chasing runoff in hempy would be unnecessarry. But fine perlite actually retains good amount of water (water holding capacity?)

it's retention is insanely poor. it will wick somewhat but it doesn't hold much at all. the original hempy method actually included vermiculite for added retention. most don't use the vermiculite and i don't recommend it personally.

And therefore assuming it holds/releases salts every time when saturated. Every time watering my hempies I'm basicly trying to saturate the whole media as the buckets are pretty small. The res water is the one which matters and this whole run I've been just trying different things to see which would work the best.

as long as you're getting a minimum 10% run off you should be good.

one trick when feeding is to use a flood and drain feed. plug the hole, pour in a set amount and let sit for 20 min or so, then let drain. this ensures the media has been saturated, and draws a greater amount of oxygen to the roots than just pouring it through.

And about the ’end flushing’. Notice my prev post how I didn't mention about flushing, talked about ’diet’ Sounds like same thing ye, but I'd guess starting to give plants only h2o or mild nutrient solution at the right time b4 the chop, "forces" them to draw whatever they need from the leaves. And letting the plant do her ripen things more naturally instead of trying to feed her higher amounts of P&K. Does that make sense?

not entirely. the plant does that process on it's own. cannabis will plateau, then stop feeding almost all together when it is naturally at an end stage of ready.

the trichomes will normally be ready for you to harvest just before, or just after the plant reaches this stage. if you get a stubborn plant, or long running sativa, you can easily have them stop feeding all together, by the time they are ready.

as a result it doesn't make much sense to starve it out prematurely.

Only 3% h2o2 available here, but I'd it should also work? Only thing I was wondering if giving higher amounts of h2o2 only - does the amount of hydrogen (when the molecule form changes) displace other cations?

in old school hydro we used h202 constant in the res. so no issues there. for hempy purposes it's best just to use it on a periodic flush. the 3% works perfect at 500ml / 20L water. you don't have to ph, but you can if you want.

i use a much stronger 27% at anywhere from 2 - 4 ml / L.

edit : a single flood and drain h202 flush is much more effective than the standard 3 - 4 times pouring straight through flush. it's hempy specific.

Yup came into same conclusion. The led is ’only’ 240W BUT actually very tilted to red wavelengths. White leds was 3500K plus added 660nm reds. Output is very close to 3000K, which is then very close to HPS bulbs.
Plant can't use all that red light and it turns into heat on the leaf surface even tho tent temp wont rise…

that's a good explanation of far red wavelength. it does indeed effect the 'microclimate' on the surface of the leaf. was surprised you were only running 240w as well. i have to update my rig if they've gotten that efficient since i built mine.

i currently run a 3000k/3500k mix of cob and the light has the same qualities as hps. i don't have far red but i can incorporate. my veg light includes a pile of 5050 smds that are used as a morning/evening ramp up/down light. it simulates a dawn and sunset.

Hempies were fun and ez to work with. Just needs slightly bigger pots if runnin perlite only.

5L hempy buckets produce the same as 20L soil buckets. hempy works as a 4:1 yield ratio when comparing hard sided containers.

And the clones. Yeah I was thinking to maybe up pot the left one as it still looks like vegging/preflowering.

both are in full on flower. you can up pot right now if you want, but i'm not sure if you're gaining anything by doing so. smallest hempy cups i ran to the end were in 750ml shampoo bottles i cut the tops off.

the original hempy method used 2L pop bottles with the tops cut. hempy is actually a micro growing method with macro ability.

Today 24th, and the weekend, we celebrate Midsummer "juhannus" in Fin :laughtwo:

nice. traditional euro-drinking holiday. have a great time.

one trick when feeding is to use a flood and drain feed. plug the hole, pour in a set amount and let sit for 20 min or so, then let drain. this ensures the media has been saturated, and draws a greater amount of oxygen to the roots than just pouring it through.
This is basicly what I've done sometimes to get the media well saturated. I've just held finger on the hole and when it feels like ’floating’ I let it drain. Plugging the hole could be good tho!

Really appreciate these tips from the hempy master :)
was surprised you were only running 240w as well. i have to update my rig if they've gotten that efficient since i built mine.
Yeah it's actually chinese (King Brite) Samsung lm301b boards with Epistar’s 660nm reds.
Exactly same boards as HLG sell and couple more bigger brands. And it cost me only ~100€. :hug: Quality chips makes a big difference!

Looking good verb mon
Thanks Braddah! :Namaste: Whole Hempy geng almost here.

6/24 Quick friyay update

Happy Midsummer from Finland!
Thought I'll drop a quick friday update - middle of 12th week, day 79-80

It's been a daymn hot weather in here. Peaks up to 28-30C during the days and that is considered as a heat in fin.. :cheesygrinsmiley: Tent temps also raises up to 26-27C during the days and the gals definitely do not like it. Even tho I'm supplementing them with extra CO2.:eye-roll:

Anyway realized haven't probably posted a single lights off picture with flash on.
Here is couple where you can see the buds sites better with more contrast.

Trichs turning amber

Defoliated some of the dead and crispy leaves

These would need support soon!

Barney's Glue starting to bulk up

Have a great weekend folks!
- V

probably a good idea to do a bud wash when you harvest. you're picking up a fair bit of webbing.
I was a little curious about washing them…as some of them are so damn dense….because I was worried about getting mold…but…FML….

Looking sweet Verb!
Thanks SO! :love:

6/28 Update

Heya. I had severe stomach upset over the weekend and couldn't do jack shit than lay in bed and sleep. And the worst possible happened due the heat wave…:eek::eek: GOT MOLD!!
It's been 28-32C outside and the sun shines straight on the room from the afternoon until it sets. So the room temps been close to same as outside and tent temps climb up to 28C. Wasn't the best idea to try to keep the window closed, RH rose up to 65-70% for a day or two as the same humid air is circulating. Fuck me!

Found mold starting from 3 biggest colas. One, the biggest cola got pretty bad.
So last night I cut the biggest colas off with mold washed them with h2o2 (looks like it killed the mold) but most likely all the plants/colas might have spores by now.
14DAB8C3-EE16-4A42-851F-589E5C742172.jpeg

07A63C91-EBEF-4647-93D1-3236070E5160.jpeg

20F9A1C1-2FFC-475F-BD9A-66A86C9F9450.jpeg

Sucha shame…. :(
01C9FF44-8C6A-4EC6-A05D-EA806607C8F3.jpeg

BA449076-641C-4362-9821-2041C2F2790F.jpeg

I just couldn't (at least yet) throw them away.
After soaking them in h2o2 I cut the moldy parts off and put these nugs into jar filled with water. Trying to water cure them for about week and might use them to make edibles. Really don't know yet.

Sprayed the plants inside the tent with pure h2o2 solution and placed 12" fan on max speed for overnight.
Heat is going to last next 7-10 days so I've got no other options than chop them down today.

Getting all the stuff ready and waiting for wifey to come help me so I can start clipping the plants.
This is prob going to be the most exhausting harvesting ever! I'll have to check inside of every bigger bud before deciding if it goes to the hang drying or in a water jar. And thats just the beginning… then I'd have somehow maintain reasonable temp & RH inside the tent for next ~5days while they're drying. Every damn finger crossed!

Prob cutting biggest nugs in smaller parts and might have to set couple small fans inside the tent to not fuck up the rest of them.. not going to be the ideal drying environment and by doing so I might lose some benefits of curing later on.

6AB91C0C-44C4-48F4-B23D-DE909119B4A4.jpeg

5D3BF9F1-B3C6-44B2-8642-FB8560F563E1.jpeg

Visible mold found from these:
8B76391A-049C-4426-B30D-75FABDD81EC3.jpeg

PS. Does the mold spores get through the bubble hash screens? I don't like the idea of spores getting into the lungs, although I've certainly smoked more or less visible moldy product several times in my life.

I'll be posting later how things proceed!
Pray for V :meditate: Thanks fam & growers

Sorry about the mold. Best practice is to trash everything that has visible mold and wash everything else prior to drying. I got mold once on the biggest cola I have ever grown. It was master kush and I was devastated. Take it as a learning experience. I always always always try to keep humidity down during flowering especially when the colas get big and dense. I also make sure the air flow in the tent is highly circulated and extracted. I love how the calyxes were stacking up on that bud too.

PS. Does the mold spores get through the bubble hash screens? I don't like the idea of spores getting into the lungs, although I've certainly smoked more or less visible moldy product several times in my life.

yeah the spores are smaller than trichomes.

where are you moving your exhaust air to verb ? if you're not ducting it to outdoor you'll just be recirculating the mold and wet air back throw the grow. it's awful hard to run a flower room without moving air to outdoor. everytime i've had mold indoor it's because i didn't get the venting down proper or tried to run without it.

Sorry about the mold. Best practice is to trash everything that has visible mold and wash everything else prior to drying. I got mold once on the biggest cola I have ever grown. It was master kush and I was devastated. Take it as a learning experience. I always always always try to keep humidity down during flowering especially when the colas get big and dense. I also make sure the air flow in the tent is highly circulated and extracted. I love how the calyxes were stacking up on that bud too.
Hello EZCalyx and thanks for stoppin by!

Apparently mold (botrytis) was only visible on the right plant on two separate stems/at foot of the bud.
And yes indeed this was an experience how important is the RH & air circulation. :oops:

where are you moving your exhaust air to verb ? if you're not ducting it to outdoor you'll just be recirculating the mold and wet air back throw the grow.
Tent is placed about 2ft from the window, and exhaust tube went to the window. I kept window opened 247 to vent it outside. As the heat wave started I occasionally tried to close the window and curtains trying to minimize the rise in room temperature - Which was indeed the biggest mistake of this growth.
I knew by doing so I'd just recirculate the same humid air so placed couple bigger oscillating fans inside the room to mix up the air before it's passively intaken again.
Well I was sick and couldn't evolve anything fancier by then. :goodjob: *just a little sarcastic emoji*

Verbalist from the trim jail update…
Starting with the good news - found no more mold! :yahoo: But the fact that it was found at all made me very skeptical about the rest of the harvest. Pretty daymn carefully dug from the thickest point of each cola to the root of the branch inspecting if any visible or starting mold woulda appear.

I was clipping and trimming the plants last night in total about 7-8hrs although the first 'wet trim' was pretty lazy. I'll be doing the 2nd more detailed trim and cleavage before jarring them.
The left Gorilla Glue (#1/Guy) stayed pretty larfy, sad!! Basicly whole lower 1/3 were airy buds which I prob wont even cure.
Plant on the right (Koko/GG#2) was the saver of this run even tho there was couple moldy colas. And Barney's auto Glue was an ez trim - I've no idea what kind of pheno is that. Never took samples off from her and she went down way too early.

Haul from Koko (GG#2)
8644D4A8-5AB0-40E7-92FB-0E768F6EB4C9.jpeg

Biggest colas

E0344A80-1B27-484C-BE63-87D1FA522034.jpeg

Smaller ones…still more colas than Coca Colas!

Used bathroom scale to get a quick estimate how much was the net wet weight from all three plants (including sticks&branches) It was showing 1.2kg :laughtwo: even tho took off two heavier branches it was still showing the same reading so don't know how accurate is that.

87D1CAB4-8920-41DD-992A-9A015B81ACB3.jpeg

This is how the trichomes looked like just before the harvest.
Pretty close to what I was looking for but I woulda given them at least 5-7days more if the circumstances had been appropriate.
No can do anymore. :D

@FastBuds Gorilla Glue autos harvested exactly 12 weeks (84 days) after they emerged.
@Barney's Farm Gorilla Glue auto harvested after 82 days above ground.

Here is last couple pics of the plants:
DF28DE5C-F916-4041-B472-E35F7944F561.jpeg

F91C8ED4-6CE2-4FB1-A49A-41BD52F6C886.jpeg

53D5D582-F894-4D9F-A4DB-70EF45780EB3.jpeg

B6C6B695-4E31-44C6-8EB2-8610ABC37A3A.jpeg

Next up hang drying & tweaking the 3x3 drying box! :yummy:

Yall have a great sunny day. I'll be posting later as things go ON.

- V

Tent is placed about 2ft from the window, and exhaust tube went to the window. I kept window opened 247 to vent it outside. As the heat wave started I occasionally tried to close the window and curtains trying to minimize the rise in room temperature - Which was indeed the biggest mistake of this growth.

the only other thing you can do is vent the duct direct outside and close the window off. i've made a few window enclosures through the years.

I knew by doing so I'd just recirculate the same humid air so placed couple bigger oscillating fans inside the room to mix up the air before it's passively intaken again.

it's near impossible to drop the rh below ambient in an open system. my pops worked in hvac, he showed me years ago that it was a zero sum game. he worked with hockey rinks, they need a lower rh to avoid condensation, fog etc.

the app is different but the principles are the same.

You did good to find the mold as fast as you did Verb! Nice work!
Thanks Stone! Almost certain won't find any more mold when cutting and jarring them.

it's near impossible to drop the rh below ambient in an open system. my pops worked in hvac, he showed me years ago that it was a zero sum game. he worked with hockey rinks, they need a lower rh to avoid condensation, fog etc.
Say no more. :reading420magazine:
Thought couple days wouldn't hurt in a bit less controlled environment.
Lol could have lost the whole crop if I had been sick any longer.

6/30 Harvest update

All three plants been wet trimmed and hung upside down in the tent. Left the branches little leafy on purpose so that would slow down the drying a little. Proper trim takes place before jarring them.

Room and tent temperature controling been hard as hell. It's constantly +30C on day time and during the nights it won't drop below 24C.
First day(s) of drying haven't been success so far. Temps inside the tent are in range 25-28C, so turned humidifier on to maintain somewhat balance and 55-60% RH. They still dry way too fast. During the night managed to get the temps down to 22-23C
Starting to properly sweat them with paper bags later today, as the outer layer is getting dry at the ends of the longest colas.
I'm so out of my comfort zone right now..:eye-roll: Drying would be an art, but I have no tools for art. Lol I wasn't prepared at all for this quick harvest.

Then some pictures of my catch!
Although it still has the wet hay smell, but jeeez the smell is amazing when opening the zipper! :nervous-guy:
Larfs lying on bottom & extractor fan set @ 180m3/h
Ideas for usage?

Swords!

Took handful of larf and ’lower grade’ nugs to properly first time test the water curing. Also having the colas which had mold in a separate water jar.
I just want to experiment and see how it differs from air dried/cured. The ending results may look like regs but only I'll be smoking it so doesn't matter.
Larf jar:
CD0EA9BD-6989-4EC4-B7BB-1158669A0F58.jpeg

1st water, buds been soaking for ~36h. Pretty dirty water.

7591B4B5-E8AE-4327-95C6-5511F5488548.jpeg

Replaced fresh water and dropped couple cubes for lols. Changing water every 24h for about 5 to 7 days. Then normal drying.

C038DF5B-528B-47FE-A4DF-1053B810AB68.jpeg

Could someone enlighten me does some of the terpenes "boil out" (evaporate?) at certain temperature? Do I automaticly lose some portion if drying in a hot environment? Haven't heard about this before. I thought you want longest possible dry to get rid off the chlorophyll and maintain them moist enough for curing.
Paper bagging wouldn't be needed more than max once then(?) I'd rather start curing then and not sacrifice more terpenes by rehydrating outer layer and drying them in a hot environment.

Next I'll dig up the stumps and hopefully we get some root porn later today! :cool:

Have a great day folks
- V

Greetings from the trim jail :yummy:

D0DD9675-A29D-4D9F-B9C7-F7FDBB57B74E.jpeg

15F8F6AD-1C4B-49FC-BEB2-525E87CBB679.jpeg

One seed found from GG#2 (Koko)
163B96AD-2BE6-4C8D-BA8A-C02972AFEC57.jpeg

They were hang dried only for little over 3 days. I know, at least five days away from a more ideal time frame. But no can do as the environment outside is what it is. Ofcourse this kind of heat wave happens at this critical moment. :laughtwo:

Managed to keep tent temps between 23-26C - it could have been the same +29-30C as inside. Also continuously kept RH between 55-63%, which I guess delayed the drying for a bit.
Left on purpose more sugar leaves on the buds when I was harvesting them. I guess this also has a major role. Should have left lot more, ffs. I was just being so worried about the mold :cheesygrinsmiley:

So shortly after finishing the second careful trim, I'll be jarring them for over night and doing RH test. If the RH rises to 70 or over, or they feel too moist then I'll paper bag them for 1-2 days and then repeat.
If I need to put them in paper bags I'll weigh them tomorrow and let you know how biggie is the haul! :cheesygrinsmiley:
If not, then I'll weigh them after couple of days burping. Tonight I just cant be asked…..I've been trimming for 6 hours soon! o_O

PS. shit this stuff hits hard!

Beautiful harvest Verb! Awesome big dense looking buds! I haven't seen a bagged bunch of buds except in a refrigerator so watch out there. Mold thoughts without the cool dryish fridge?

Cool to see water in the process:morenutes:
Thank you my brother Stone :circle-of-love: You've probably been here congratulating me on every harvest from day one. :hug:

And as the buds were drying I bagged the driest ones until the outer layer felt soft again. I'll be doing "more traditional bagging" tomorrow if I'm not satisfied with jars RH%.

Heh and heres the seed. It just stuck in there
ED98A5FB-1A59-43D5-ABF2-DDC94599107A.jpeg

70D44CF0-D903-46E2-9897-BB9DC7C46046.jpeg

- Verbalist

nice job. way to bring it in under hard conditions. :)
Thanks @bluter :love:

Indeed you showed up at the good time! Really appreciated your help.
Hope you have a nice summer over there! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom