About the most I've done in a pheno hunt was three or four at a time. I can never use up my seeds as fast as I get them. I'm thinking maybe I should take my own ramblings about the idea of a multi- strain mother plant to heart and make one or two- them just run clones of whichever I like without as much complexity. Maybe one sativa and one indica. Any new strains could be grafted on in the future.

I'll have to put away the hexapus for the next round for sure- as fun as it is- and also very useful for using up reserve seeds. Though in the end I only used up six seeds and got about four or five times that many in the meantime.
Ahh well- first world problems really.

The never ending tale... never enough room. We all sing it often.
You may have touched on a core issue tho... when do you call it "enough"? I make more herb than I need and pass out a touch to buddies. I smoke up tons daily myself. Yet I still strive to upsize and increase production.
I guess maybe you come into growing trying so hard to get some decent herb and just don't ever drop that driving feeling.
Meh!
Some day I'll get to growing acres instead of sqft..... but not today.

After one reaches the "I have more than enough" level, and gets to a point where generally things go without many "HOLY SHIT! WTF DID I JUST DO?" moments, it's time to select some "How do I live without this?/Best weed in the room" mothers & focus on fine tuning Quality by learning the subtle nuances of the individuals chosen to be worked as superior stock. Today, too many people are stuck on "I have to grow 9000 things, because I can!" ideology, when it's far more satisfying to focus on Doing It Right. When you pop a seed, veg it for 4-5 weeks then force-flower it in a tent or room, it's not mature & the results are only nominally indicative of the whole potential of the plant.
Superior P1 stock can assuredly be a unicorn hunt. A friend of mine recently ran 12kw/over 80 various females (well over 100 seeds) of things that interested him, mostly polyhybrids, looking for that one Special Plant. Did he find it, or them? The jury is still out, as he's got to sift through & smoke through several dozen that looked promising. (I'm betting I see more of a phenomenal Cherry . Kush!) My point is, even if one is only running a small ecosystem, is that the value isn't trying to run through 9000 varieties as quickly as possible, but to pay attention to detail so you don't miss a unicorn in your haste to check more boxes off your "Seeds I Have Grown" list. Legendary P1 stock like Sour Diesels & OG Kushes, wouldn't have become legends if the grower had been in a rush. So always do two runs of anything you grow (meaning clone & label every plant) even if it seems like a pain in the ass & requires more space/time) because in the end, if you find that special plant, all the hassle will have been worth it.

After one reaches the "I have more than enough" level, and gets to a point where generally things go without many "HOLY SHIT! WTF DID I JUST DO?" moments, it's time to select some "How do I live without this?/Best weed in the room" mothers & focus on fine tuning Quality by learning the subtle nuances of the individuals chosen to be worked as superior stock. Today, too many people are stuck on "I have to grow 9000 things, because I can!" ideology, when it's far more satisfying to focus on Doing It Right. When you pop a seed, veg it for 4-5 weeks then force-flower it in a tent or room, it's not mature & the results are only nominally indicative of the whole potential of the plant.
Superior P1 stock can assuredly be a unicorn hunt. A friend of mine recently ran 12kw/over 80 various females (well over 100 seeds) of things that interested him, mostly polyhybrids, looking for that one Special Plant. Did he find it, or them? The jury is still out, as he's got to sift through & smoke through several dozen that looked promising. (I'm betting I see more of a phenomenal Cherry . Kush!) My point is, even if one is only running a small ecosystem, is that the value isn't trying to run through 9000 varieties as quickly as possible, but to pay attention to detail so you don't miss a unicorn in your haste to check more boxes off your "Seeds I Have Grown" list. Legendary P1 stock like Sour Diesels & OG Kushes, wouldn't have become legends if the grower had been in a rush. So always do two runs of anything you grow (meaning clone & label every plant) even if it seems like a pain in the ass & requires more space/time) because in the end, if you find that special plant, all the hassle will have been worth it.

Look at you passin out wisdom in printed format!
Great words... ones that might be applied SO liberally in so many different areas.

Some day I'll get to growing acres instead of sqft..... but not today.

it would be work then,, no fun at all

Hi Jay233. Thanks and stop by anytime. I've been busy as hell, playing catch-up in every area of life and on 420- but as am finally totally free of the job as of last night- ( though also sans paycheck so far.)

:party:

Got back to the place late last night and trimmed half of the Cheese before burning out. Lay in the hot tub for a couple hours, smoked a victory joint, wandered to bed and passed out. I'm going to go trim the rest up now.

Re what you said- Tead and Skunkworkz and AkGramma. Really I'm just in the early stages of learning to grow - just approaching the tail end of the 'constantly fucking up' stage, I hope. Lots of interesting rabbit holes to sniff down- and having a bit of variety going on helps me learn stuff way faster than flogging the same old horses, which is what I used to do.

Re the desire to try every new thing- honestly I don't usually see much out there in most seed banks that personally interests me- especially the 'new things'. It mostly seems like the same old stuff crossed with the same old other stuff. I can look through hundreds of these strains without getting anything but tired. Is that what they mean when they call it a 'strain'?
I've actually had a hell of a time using up the free seed coupons I won on 420. I gave away some, but the remaining ones involved gruelling hours searching, trying to find something at all interesting. Kind of like winning a gift certificate from the mall.
Gorilla was good to deal with, and has quite a lot of selection from many breeders. With enough searching I always find something, but its work, not fun.
Crop King... lets not even go there. :(

I don't even really have a seed wish list right now. Or if I do I can't remember what it is, so it can't be all that pressing. :hmmmm:
Maybe another very citrusy strain or two. Also, always on the wish list, is the legendary piney/Christmas bud that we used to get when I was young. But those are unavailable seeds, as far as I know, because the Christmas bud seems to have completely vanished.
Medical stuff for sleep and pain -if I can find anything that works. More pure sativas and landracy type stuff yes, but I do have some good ones in the collection that I haven't sprouted yet.

Hopefully someday soonish the US border will lighten up a little (yeah....ha ha ha :laughtwo: ) - and we can talk on 420 about stuff like giving seeds away to friends. They're legal in this country and many others- so get with the program, America. *

* Though 'legal' in his country is starting to look increasingly like 'illegal' -unless you buy from government approved places.

On the wish list- learning more about medical applications, finding pain relief- learning more about oil, also concentrates in general. Trying more forms of hydro, as well as organic soil. Also high brix, more grafting and random experiments -and side by side tests too numerous to mention. Breeding in itself could take a couple lifetimes to figure out and I just have the one space to work with so far.

~Critical Cheese~

Here are some pics of the Critical Cheese. This one went 85 days and turned out much better than the last one did- which was too overgrown. This one is stickier and finished better.
IMG_007884.JPG

IMG_007986.JPG

IMG_008175.JPG

IMG_008270.JPG

IMG_008554.JPG

IMG_008664.JPG

IMG_008767.JPG

IMG_008852.JPG

IMG_008964.JPG

No more job. That's awesome! I've been working hard on a plan myself. When I have started businesses I realized I just created myself a job with longer hours lol.
A regular stream of income without a comittment for work would be ideal.
I enjoyed how you discribed searching through seeds lol
....A very critusy strain...I've found a couple of phenos of super critical ive grown to taste so much like grapefruit I would smoke more as I got hungry because it tasted so good mmmm....grapefruit :)....and pizza lol

Mmmm grapefruit. There's a strain called Ultra Grapefruit that people say the same sort of thing about. Yum.
I've got to run off and trim the second half of the Cheese now.

Re what you said- Tead and Skunkworkz and AkGramma. Really I'm just in the early stages of learning to grow - just approaching the tail end of the 'constantly fucking up' stage, I hope. Lots of interesting rabbit holes to sniff down- and having a bit of variety going on helps me learn stuff way faster than flogging the same old horses, which is what I used to do.

Re the desire to try every new thing- honestly I don't usually see much out there in most seed banks that personally interests me- especially the 'new things'. It mostly seems like the same old stuff crossed with the same old other stuff. I can look through hundreds of these strains without getting anything but tired. Is that what they mean when they call it a 'strain'?
I've actually had a hell of a time using up the free seed coupons I won on 420. I gave away some, but the remaining ones involved gruelling hours searching, trying to find something at all interesting. Kind of like winning a gift certificate from the mall.
Gorilla was good to deal with, and has quite a lot of selection from many breeders. With enough searching I always find something, but its work, not fun.
Crop King... lets not even go there. :(

I don't even really have a seed wish list right now. Or if I do I can't remember what it is, so it can't be all that pressing. :hmmmm:
Maybe another very citrusy strain or two. Also, always on the wish list, is the legendary piney/Christmas bud that we used to get when I was young. But those are unavailable seeds, as far as I know, because the Christmas bud seems to have completely vanished.
Medical stuff for sleep and pain -if I can find anything that works. More pure sativas and landracy type stuff yes, but I do have some good ones in the collection that I haven't sprouted yet.

Hopefully someday soonish the US border will lighten up a little (yeah....ha ha ha :laughtwo: ) - and we can talk on 420 about stuff like giving seeds away to friends. They're legal in this country and many others- so get with the program, America. *

* Though 'legal' in his country is starting to look increasingly like 'illegal' -unless you buy from government approved places.

On the wish list- learning more about medical applications, finding pain relief- learning more about oil, also concentrates in general. Trying more forms of hydro, as well as organic soil. Also high brix, more grafting and random experiments -and side by side tests too numerous to mention. Breeding in itself could take a couple lifetimes to figure out and I just have the one space to work with so far.

Ya know... this whole post feels like I'm staring into a mirror.
I can't echo the words regarding seeds and strains enough. Yawn.
I do like to try all the classics tho. Workin my way there.

Now that you're unemployed, I find myself wondering how you'll fill your days. I suggest gluttony and sex as a great starting point.... a good meal and a touch of nookie always do wonders for my outlook.

'ats a mighty pretty girly. Absolutely coated with trichs!

Now that you're unemployed, I find myself wondering how you'll fill your days. I suggest gluttony and sex as a great starting point....
Wow now you're starting to sound like my girlfriend Tead. :hmmmm: Sounds like a wise plan, I have to admit- especially now that I'm outnumbered.
Not sure what's next- a little of everything as usual, I suppose. Hopefully the plants will get more love too. I'll have to start looking around for a job- though the better ones tend to fall from the sky. The ones I have to look for aren't usually as good.

Congrats on getting your freedom back. I share your belief that the best jobs fall right in front of you. Wait for that. :cheesygrinsmiley: Now you can focus some time on your girls, and the girlfriend might get some time too. :laughtwo:

It's cool to hear these old terms and reminisce about the past. I haven't heard anybody talk about Christmas bud in years. :) I thought it was named that because of the time of year it was available, until I smelled it once. I remember a weed once in SE MI when I was young everybody was calling Monkey Paw because of the way the leaves curled around the ball-shaped nugs.
There was a period in the 80's in that area for about a year where nobody could cop anything (dry spell), and after that these weak hydro pots started popping up on rare occasions (2-3 times/year) I remember thinking that's the end of the gold colored hashy straw-smelling good weed. I still think to myself that of all the smells from grape to citrus to pine to sandalwood to chives to fuel to flowers I hope one day to run into a pot that smells like pot! :(

Chimp,
There's a simple answer to your quandary: Buy genetics from Sensi Seeds or Mr. Nice.
There's plenty of old school genetics out there, but right now they're mostly ignored in favor of (imo) shit tier flavor of the month polyhybrid clusterfucked garbage.
We still run Hazes, Real Kush, NLs, Skunk derivatives, et al, because, simply, all of these over-worked, over-crossed, over-hyped 26-way crosses that people chase like unicorns, are pretty much all based on Skunk, Haze, and Northern Lights.
Superior genetics yield superior results. Hunting unicorns requires time & space, and I've seen less people on this site than I have fingers on one hand that have the indoor experience, space & equipment necessary to do it correctly.

420-magazine-mobile1691232278.jpg

When was last time you brought seeds and grew anything from sensi?

When was last time you brought seeds and grew anything from sensi?

Ran G13/HP a few years back, was fine. Not the same as the whup-ass '88, but pretty damn good.
Their Hash Plant, I'd avoid, as their P1 stock isn't the same as it used to be. I'd use their Jack Herer or NL, & I'd avoid all their custom hybrids & stick with any classics I couldn't source from MNS.

Back
Top Bottom